Advice/Help RP Creation Help

Satchel

His Protector
Hey guys, sorry to post so soon, but I have a question.

So, I have an RP that I want to create, but the problem is, If I label it as FANDOM since technically it is from a fandom, I feel like it would give people the wrong idea, because it's meant to be an original story based on a book series from the 90s that not a lot of people have read. If I say it's from that, I feel like people will be saying "I don't know this universe, so I don't want to join," even though the universe is planned to be slowly explained since it's mostly new and original, aside from the main abilities and races/situation.

So the way roleplays work on here is primarily by setting.

Ex. If something is set in the real world or a variations of it than it is labelled Modern/Realistic. This includes things like historical roleplays, superhero roleplays, even urban fantasy as long as it is set in the real world.

Fandom is very similar. It's usually labelled fandom only if it meets the following criteria

- It takes place in the fandom universe itself ( with or without canon characters )
- It takes place in a different world but with canon characters
- It takes place in a blended version of two different fandoms.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

For your specific case I would say that big question you need to ask yourself is how connected is your idea to the canon of the book/movie/whatever?

Will you reference storylines, characters, places, etc. that were created by someone else?

Or are you merely borrowing world elements.

Using Harry Potter as a example.

If I were to make a magical school in america and use terms like - Apparation, Hogwarts, Gringotts, than that's obviously taking place in JK's Wizarding World and it would be a fandom roleplay.

If I made a magical school in england where i had children arrive by train and live in four dormitories but I never mentioned any fandom people/places/things than it's my own world and not a fandom.

I would put inspired by XX fandom anyway but you don't have to actually label it a fandom roleplay unless it actually references people / places / things from that fandom.

If you do make it a fandom. Just start off the bat with a synopsis of what that fandom is and what your looking for.

We'll use the Emelan Series from Tamora Pierce as an example.

" Hey I want to do a roleplay about children who have craft magic in the world of Emelan. Emelan is inspired by the Mediterranean and kinda like a fantasy version of Greece. I'll provide links to any locations we use or we can make up our own. Craft Magic is sort of what it sounds like. It's magic that comes from doing a craft. It can anything from glassblowing to gardening. Children in this world who have craft magic are taught by masters at Temples. I'd love to [ blah pitch for plot here . ] Please pm me any questions about the world I'd be happy to answer or clarify."

Give people the information relevant to the plot, and let them know you're open to answering additional questions if they have them.

I recommend that you simply don't base it on the fandom then. Or rather, you can take inspiration from the fandom all you like, but if you're not planning on using much of anything of it anyway, why not just make a fully original setting and story that has no ties to the fandom other than that it was inspired by it? That way it wouldn't be a fandom by the site's terms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back