Roleplay Pet Peeves

Also an issue I just realized as I was reading back through this. A picture on Instagram is not in the public domain. Public domain is a specific license that is either placed on a material whose copyright has run out (as in some books) or it is a material that is posted with a specific licence that allows that work to be redistributed at will by the public.

A good example is I use this particular site https://unsplash.com/ which has a very specific license attached to all photos submitted to that site. (https://unsplash.com/license) This license specifically states that all the photos on the site are posted with the knowledge that they can be used by the public in whatever way they see fit.

So this is very different than someone taking photos you put on Instagram and printing them out. Unless you specifically said that your photos are free for the public to use in whatever way they saw fit than those people are stealing your photos.

Now you might not necessarily care if they do that but it isn't at all the same thing as using a proper public domain image. In a proper public domain image the artist is fully aware and has given permission for their photos to be used in whatever way the public sees fit. This is why I don't consider them creepy, if someone says "Yeah go ahead and do whatever" than I'm not being creepy if I take them at their word.
Nah, Instagram copyright stuff is very raw and unspecific; someone once printed out other people's instagram posts (literally screenshots with the posters' accounts still showing), put them on poster board, and sold them for thousands of dollars. He's faced no legal backlash because what he did isn't illegal.

Nah, Instagram copyright stuff is very raw and unspecific; someone once printed out other people's instagram posts (literally screenshots with the posters' accounts still showing), put them on poster board, and sold them for thousands of dollars. He's faced no legal backlash because what he did isn't illegal.

I didn't talk about legality. I merely stated that a public domain image is a very specific thing. So unless Instagram also has a specific license like the one I linked it doesn't have public domain images.

Edit - And that was mostly my point with using public domain images for my face claims. I am using photos that people have specifically stated they are fine with the public using as they have chosen to put them up under a very specific license. It is a conscious choice on the part of the uploader to allow their stuff to be used by the public. The Public Domain License is no different than putting your stuff under Copyright or an Attribution License in that it is a conscious choice on your part to say who can use your stuff and how.

Last edited:
I didn't talk about legality. I merely stated that a public domain image is a very specific thing. So unless Instagram also has a specific license like the one I linked it doesn't have public domain images.

Edit - And that was mostly my point with using public domain images for my face claims. I am using photos that people have specifically stated they are fine with the public using as they have chosen to put them up under a very specific license. It is a conscious choice on the part of the uploader to allow their stuff to be used by the public. And is no different than putting your work up under copyright or under an attribution license. The only difference is who you are saying can use your work and how.
But I'm fully aware that, by putting stuff up on Instagram, people can do anything with it and it's not illegal. There's no difference in the conscious decision making of Instagram and public domain images. I would still find it creepy if I found out what some people were doing with my photos; the tag "public use" doesn't help in that. And to suggest that all individuals who make their photos public domain would literally be okay with anything, including you using them as faceclaims, is erroneous.

But I'm fully aware that, by putting stuff up on Instagram, people can do anything with it and it's not illegal. There's no difference in the conscious decision making of Instagram and public domain images. I would still find it creepy if I found out what some people were doing with my photos; the tag "public use" doesn't help in that. And to suggest that all individuals who make their photos public domain would literally be okay with anything, including you using them as faceclaims, is erroneous.

And I think you don't understand public domain. You are conflating it with a tag on a social media website. I am talking about a specific image license that is knowingly and intentionally added to a work for the express purpose of it being shared with the public.

The websites I use only host public domain (or creative commons) images. When you upload to these sites they ask you very specifically would you like your photos to be used by the public and link you to what a public domain license (or whatever creative license you choose) actually means.

I am not talking about Instagram. I am talking about you going out of your way to post on a website where the entire point is that your photos will be free to the public. If you don't want them to be used in any manner than don't post to the public domain websites.

And I think you don't understand public domain. You are conflating it with a tag on a social media website. I am talking about a specific image license that is knowingly and intentionally added to a work for the express purpose of it being shared with the public.

The websites I use only host public domain (or creative commons) images. When you upload to these sites they ask you very specifically would you like your photos to be used by the public and link you to what a public domain license (or whatever creative license you choose) actually means.

I am not talking about Instagram. I am talking about you going out of your way to post on a website where the entire point is that your photos will be free to the public. If you don't want them to be used in any manner than don't post to the public domain websites.
You're not getting it. There's no difference in the two. I post on a public domain website knowing the public can do whatever they want with it. I post on Instagram knowing the public can do whatever they want with it. Does the licensing matter legally? No. Am I any more protected on either? No. Is it creepier to take from one over the other? No.

You're not getting it. There's no difference in the two. I post on a public domain website knowing the public can do whatever they want with it. I post on Instagram knowing the public can do whatever they want with it. Does the licensing matter legally? No. Am I any more protected on either? No. Is it creepier to take from one over the other? No.

We'll agree to disagree.

I hate it when you have a really cool premise set up but the other person isn't responding in a way that you feel happy with. Like you feel as if you're on two different pages, for example:

My main character (who was dressed to look like an assassin) walks into a busy hall with everyone sat down, stalks to the front of the room. The person sat at the head of the main table introduces her as the infamous second in command of a faction that has just seized control.

Their character somehow is completely oblivious to the room going silent and the shift in atmosphere, commenting only that my character looked odd compared to everyone else. Their character doesn't acknowledge who my character is, despite being introduced to the entire hall, and her only reaction is to wave to get her boyfriends attention, when their relationship is meant to be secret.

They are always doing this. Having random time skips (sometimes in the middle of conversations), having your character turn up without asking you or having it set up prior to the scene.

Being precise is also part of the problem. It'll be something like:

I had a knock on the door and called for them to come in. Looking up, I asked them what they are doing here.

Annoyingly, this was like the opening scene for the next day and it wasn't like one of our characters had an appointment with him. As we were doubling, I didn't know which character they wanted to see him, why they were going to see him, nothing.

I also have a problem where people seem to mistake what your characters think and say, despite the fact I use two different styles (italic and bold) to denote what is being said and what they are thinking. If my character is lying in bed thinking about some problem only they are aware of, and your character is half a mile away unaware of this problem, why are you writing that they are talking about it? Unless they have some telepathic bond, it doesn't make sense.

Uh, sorry. Rant over.

I hate it when you have a really cool premise set up but the other person isn't responding in a way that you feel happy with. Like you feel as if you're on two different pages, for example:

My main character (who was dressed to look like an assassin) walks into a busy hall with everyone sat down, stalks to the front of the room. The person sat at the head of the main table introduces her as the infamous second in command of a faction that has just seized control.

Their character somehow is completely oblivious to the room going silent and the shift in atmosphere, commenting only that my character looked odd compared to everyone else. Their character doesn't acknowledge who my character is, despite being introduced to the entire hall, and her only reaction is to wave to get her boyfriends attention, when their relationship is meant to be secret.

They are always doing this. Having random time skips (sometimes in the middle of conversations), having your character turn up without asking you or having it set up prior to the scene.

Being precise is also part of the problem. It'll be something like:

I had a knock on the door and called for them to come in. Looking up, I asked them what they are doing here.

Annoyingly, this was like the opening scene for the next day and it wasn't like one of our characters had an appointment with him. As we were doubling, I didn't know which character they wanted to see him, why they were going to see him, nothing.
I hate this. It's like they don't have basic reading comprehension. And I get it, it's easy to misread things or mistake things or even just lose interest in reading the post... but if they lack the attention span to read longer posts, or they lack the ability to comprehend and reply to longer posts, shouldn't they be doing a different type of RP? Maybe they should focus on fast-paced, one-liner RPs where they can hopefully actually understand what they're reading and reply to it decently.
I really do try to be understanding of people... but man, I've had similar things happen to me in the past that have happened to you, and it brings to the RP to a grinding, confusing halt.

"My character's mom got passed around at a really crazy party, and because of that, my character is a a half-god, half-fire dragon, half-werewolf, half-ice dragon, half-demon, half-rock dragon, half-vampire, half-dragon dragon,rock the dragon dragon ball z."
"Oh, and they're one fifteenth Cherokee Indian!"

No, that's not how genes work.
No, you aren't allowed to have every single power under the sun because of it.
And no, it doesn't compensate for the fact that personality-wise, your character is about as interesting as a doorknob.

"My character's mom got passed around at a really crazy party, and because of that, my character is a a half-god, half-fire dragon, half-werewolf, half-ice dragon, half-demon, half-rock dragon, half-vampire, half-dragon dragon,rock the dragon dragon ball z."

And no, it doesn't compensate for the fact that personality-wise, your character is about as interesting as a doorknob.
Stop insulting doorknobs!

Also that is not what half means! It means two parts. That thing is like 1/10th blah blah blah. And yes that is not at all how genes work. They would be better off just making the character a mimic who can mimic the powers of other things.

Unnecessary political interjections.

I’ve been in a 1x1 where I introduced my character, he was meeting the other character in a cafe. He introduced himself, told her a few things about himself and ordered her a coffee.

I end my post with “Tell me about yourself.”

The response I get is their character’s (I.e. their own) opinion about how a woman has the right to an abortion.

I dropped the RP then. I don’t deal with that unless it’s absolutely necessary for the plot.

I’ve talked about abortion in an RP. My character was the Personal Bodyguard to a fictional POTUS. He needed political advice and asked my character. My character, a liberal gay woman, told him that she supported abortion. (In the most respectful way befitting a US President.) His character disagreed respectfully, and we moved on.

That’s how it’s done. Don’t force politics in if it’s not needed. I will not reply, I will drop.

I will not respond to any @‘s on this post.

God, where do I begin!?

1.) Ghosting
2.) Lack of Communication
3.) Me partner not having ideas of their own but hates every idea I come up with (like, wtf!?)
4.) Wanting me to do all da pullin. (partners can be lazy asf yo).
5.) One liner responses (I know me ass didn’t jus put me heart n soul into dis post only to get one fuckin sentence as a reply!? Got me all da way fucked up).

My top one is when someone can't be bothered to describe anything and just focuses on dialogue the whole time. I want something to visualize! At the same time I'm thrown off when people fill out their posts with pointless purple prose just to meet a word count, so I like a happy medium.

Oh, and when people strictly enforce consistent word counts. Do they expect me two write 3 paragraphs in reply to *everything?*

Overly sensitive roleplayers. The kind that take anything as an attack and are constantly apologiesing for offending you.

When you aren’t even saying anything against them OR even remotely antagonistic.

Like how did you get this three hour diatribe from - That sounds fine.

Overly sensitive roleplayers. The kind that take anything as an attack and are constantly apologiesing for offending you.

When you aren’t even saying anything against them OR even remotely antagonistic.

Like how did you get this three hour diatribe from - That sounds fine.

What do you mean by this? Like, people getting offended over offensive characters or what? Like, I have a character I write on another site who is misogynist, homophobic, and just a straight up manipulative asshole, but people don't get offended over him.

What do you mean by this? Like, people getting offended over offensive characters or what? Like, I have a character I write on another site who is misogynist, homophobic, and just a straight up manipulative asshole, but people don't get offended over him.

No I mean people who are really insecure and so any time you say anything to them in the OOC they get offended.

So like - I say hey do you want to roleplay in PMs?

They say - I am sorry I misunderstood I thought we were roleplaying in threads. I’m so sorry I am being such a pain.

Or they say “can we roleplay in Australia?”

I say “sure I’m not familiar with Australia so you might have to describe things”.

They’re like “ I am so sorry but I don’t think we can roleplay because you are really demanding. “

Like okay

Okay, I know I've answered this before, but I have a new one.

Group role plays where every character is a closet gay despite it not being a mxm focused role play.

Let me set the premise. A dysfunctional family role play, where a bunch of people play the siblings/parent, and others play the friends and neighbours of the family. Simple enough, right?

All the male characters are gay, all five of them. Which has left me and the other person playing a female character (who is my characters sister, so no chance of romance between them even if they weren't both straight) confused, as how are we meant to find a partner for our character if every male character is gay?

It was made clear that they wanted a mix of male and female characters with the idea that they could pair up and date, as they are all of high school age. That's not to say there couldn't be gay characters, but all of them? Really?

Also, we are allowed two characters each. If you want to have a gay main fine, but after seeing the four other gay characters and the two straight female ones, wouldn't it make sense to at least make a secondary character that had a chance of being paired with one of the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back