Roleplay Pet Peeves

This actually has a proper name. It’s called metagaming and I agree it is never fun to deal with.
It's why I'm always iffy with very detailed character sheets. On one hand: the more you know about everyone else's characters, the more information you have to create interesting situations in the roleplay. On the other.. people might just use it so their characters can seem cool or smart even though they have no reason to know any of it, or to force a situation. It's euuugh

It's why I'm always iffy with very detailed character sheets. On one hand: the more you know about everyone else's characters, the more information you have to create interesting situations in the roleplay. On the other.. people might just use it so their characters can seem cool or smart even though they have no reason to know any of it, or to force a situation. It's euuugh

Yes. There’s making guesses about a person based on how they present themselves and other small things, and then there’s spewing information about a dead father that they have no right to know about. Okay sure, maybe I’d give it a pass if they had a valid in-canon reason to know, like say they saw a newspaper article on the car wreck said father died in, but otherwise it’s just face-palm worthy.

See I don't see detailed character sheets as being useful for the roleplay itself so much as they are a good way to gauge how well the person paid attention to the lore/setting of the roleplay. I tend to ask for a backstory in my roleplay (not a long one, maybe a paragraph or two) purely because I want to make sure that the person was actually paying attention in the planning process and properly understood the setting and the lore.

Very rarely does that backstory have anything to do with the plotting or such of the roleplay. Instead it's just a way for me to check off that we're all on the same page without having to stop the roleplay mid-scene because it becomes clear that the other person either didn't read or didn't understand the lore/setting.

And the kind of people who do metagame are so rare I feel like it's an acceptable risk. Because I would rather have a talk with someone about their character knowing things they shouldn't, than have to have an even more uncomfortable conversation while trying to find a nice way to ask "So did you actually read any of the lore or just skim it?"

I did read a fanfic where all the actors who played the MCU characters actually existed separately in the universe. And the Avengers liked to get together to rag on each other about the various movies their dopplegangers where in. (But RDJ and Tony were totes besties. As where Hemsworth/Thor, and Evans/Cap. I dont' know if anyone else made mention of a particular feeling about their doppleganger.)
Tony and RDJ would absolutely be at least good friends, given their similar histories (in the comics Tony's a known alcoholic).

But that's off topic.

In my opinion the entire point of role playing is to write, and if somebody gives me a faceclaim, especially if it's some generic korean popstar or a celebrity or something I just see it as incredibly lazy. There's also the ever-present implication that they just want to [EXPLICIT] that person and are fantasizing about it instead of focusing on the story or some other weird shenanigans. Not to mention that I doubt they ever ask for permission.

I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but then the ones I've interacted with have an appearance section to the CS attached anyway, or the other important sections like background or personality are distressingly short.

TLDR "It's gross and it looks bad lmaoo"

In my opinion the entire point of role playing is to write, and if somebody gives me a faceclaim, especially if it's some generic korean popstar or a celebrity or something I just see it as incredibly lazy. There's also the ever-present implication that they just want to [EXPLICIT] that person and are fantasizing about it instead of focusing on the story or some other weird shenanigans. Not to mention that I doubt they ever ask for permission.

I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but then the ones I've interacted with have an appearance section to the CS attached anyway, or the other important sections like background or personality are distressingly short.

hmm... you make a very good point tbh. I do use faceclaims mainly because its the norm tbh...

*shudders* internet acronyms break my soul. If you're going to engage in a polite discussion and debate, use real words.

Anyway, I use faceclaims specifically as a base. My character doesn't look exactly like that and in the roleplay itself I'm probably going to change how the character looks, like, five times (just like I do with personalities) but I just wrote a super long backstory and personality and I'm tired. Also, I'm bad at describing things. Inner thoughts are my jam.

And to be fair, if anyone ever asked me to take my faceclaim down I would do so (and it's not stealing if it's on bulbapedia).

*shudders* internet acronyms break my soul. If you're going to engage in a polite discussion and debate, use real words.
Not to be rude but like.. they're just acronyms.
That and there's not really a thing such as 'real words' lmaoo we made all of them up

Not to be rude but like.. they're just acronyms.
That and there's not really a thing such as 'real words' lmaoo we made all of them up
They also look stupid as hell and have no place in a proper debate.

Also, shorthands are stupid too. If you say plz I'm just gonna tell you no. After all, it's much shorter than yes or sure.

Also, shorthands are stupid too. If you say plz I'm just gonna tell you no. After all, it's much shorter than yes or sure.
Uhh, your choice I guess, but it's just slang. At the end of the day I wouldn't say it's that worth getting annoyed over.

I mean why are you debating your roleplay partners? That seems unnecessarily antagonistic.

It’s slang. It’s like saying using the term ya’ll is dumb because it’s a colloquial contraction.

But several states in the Us have that as a common word in every day conversation.

Internet slang is no different. I mean your entitled to wanting to write everything out but it doesn’t mean that using the slang that is popular on the medium is stupid.

Anymore than using the word ya’ll in real life is stupid.

I think as long as you can read what they're saying, text speech is fine. A lot of people are like "I hate when people type like "I wlk over 2 the door nd c u" and I'm like.. okay and how many people have you seen type like that in 2019? Especially in a roleplay? I don't think I've ever seen someone use it in a roleplay, and using it in OOC or just.. daily life, is in no way an issue imo

It irritates me. Especially if I say some mildly amusing joke and their like "LMAO LOLOLOLO SO FUNNY NEVER LAUGHED SO HARD IN MY LIFE!!!" Except not as well typed.

It's not that funny dude.

Can't we just all get along and look up puppy pictures on the internet? :blowkiss:

I mean the point of the thread is to complain ? And to discuss our own individual preferences.

As long as no one is name-calling or getting into screaming matches I wouldn’t worry about it.

The thread OP or the Staff will cut in if it gets out of hand.
I was making a joke but okay...

My bad. We get the occasional folks who really do show up just to bitch about how we're all bitching. Like "Omg you guys are so mean it's so rude.."
I think in that instance you can just bitch at their bitching of your bitching...

It might become a vicious circle but i'm all up for a bit of mayhem :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back