Roleplay Pet Peeves

The super suspicious character who is automatically distrustful of the secret villain despite having absolutely no reason to mistrust the secret villain who somehow figures out their plan despite absolutely no clues to said plan being left lying around and always has to follow the secret villain because they don't trust them despite having any reason not to.
m0od

Or like, you have one character who is maybe manipulative and hides their true feelings, and then another character who isn't specified to be particularly perceptive or good at spotting bullshit but still SOMEHOW manages to figure out the other characters real intentions

The super suspicious character who is automatically distrustful of the secret villain despite having absolutely no reason to mistrust the secret villain who somehow figures out their plan despite absolutely no clues to said plan being left lying around and always has to follow the secret villain because they don't trust them despite having any reason not to.

Ah you mean the people who are unexpectedly human lie detectors. I mean it's one thing if you tell me that's your characters super power. That's actually kinda fun. Have them be the Cassandra of the group. (I have been telling you for MONTHS this guy is crazy. But no, it's "You need to lighten up." "Your being paranoid." "It's illegal to kill someone because of a gut feeling." Well Fuck you I hope you get turned into sentient toasters.)

But for it to just pop up out of nowhere because someone wants to use OOC info to make their character a badass? Nah. I just ignore them. "Oh so and so is being an ass again."

Or like, you have one character who is maybe manipulative and hides their true feelings, and then another character who isn't specified to be particularly perceptive or good at spotting bullshit but still SOMEHOW manages to figure out the other characters real intentions
Yes exactly!

Also the guy who doesn't know how to fuck off and is always trying to fight with someone.

Double post sorry but, for that matter, any time a character somehow knows stuff there's no real way they should know, and they have either a really contrived reason or none at all
Unless your character is Poirot I'm calling bullshit

Ah you mean the people who are unexpectedly human lie detectors. I mean it's one thing if you tell me that's your characters super power. That's actually kinda fun. Have them be the Cassandra of the group. (I have been telling you for MONTHS this guy is crazy. But no, it's "You need to lighten up." "Your being paranoid." "It's illegal to kill someone because of a gut feeling." Well Fuck you I hope you get turned into sentient toasters.)

But for it to just pop up out of nowhere because someone wants to use OOC info to make their character a badass? Nah. I just ignore them. "Oh so and so is being an ass again."
Yes I hate when people use OOC info. You character is not you, stop making them know things you know. That's part of the reason I'm halfway against profiles. I mean I know we have to make them make sure no one is cheating and they follow the rules, but sometimes it gets annoying like okay you read my profile but how does HE know that?

Double post sorry but, for that matter, any time a character somehow knows stuff there's no real way they should know, and they have either a really contrived reason or none at all

Yes it's like - Is breaking the fourth wall something that exists in this universe? No? Than knock it off.

I seriously once had my character GO OFF on a person doing that. They kept making snide comments about information they should have no reason to know. Like within the first ten seconds of meeting my character they were making comments about how they were lazy and they had a sister complex. (They had not met the sister and my character hadn't brought her up. And he was mostly lazy in a class room setting which they had not attended).

So I basically had my character act like someone would realistically to another individual talking shit about things they knew nothing about. I had him go OFF, call that person an uppity asshole that needed to shut up and stop running their mouth. Person ended up quitting because apparently I was mean or something.

But I had repeatedly told them in the OOC to stop. It just got to be enough.

Yes it's like - Is breaking the fourth wall something that exists in this universe? No? Than knock it off.

I seriously once had my character GO OFF on a person doing that. They kept making snide comments about information they should have no reason to know. Like within the first ten seconds of meeting my character they were making comments about how they were lazy and they had a sister complex. (They had not met the sister and my character hadn't brought her up. And he was mostly lazy in a class room setting which they had not attended).

So I basically had my character act like someone would realistically to another individual talking shit about things they knew nothing about. I had him go OFF, call that person an uppity asshole that needed to shut up and stop running their mouth. Person ended up quitting because apparently I was mean or something.

But I had repeatedly told them in the OOC to stop. It just got to be enough.
HAHAHAHAHAH i love that

Highly perceptive characters are really fun to play (at least to me but I'm a big detective buff so) but only if you do them right. Like if you know something from a character sheet but your OC doesn't, don't make them suddenly know. Have them pick it up from context clues if there are any. Really put effort into making it interesting.. otherwise it's just tired and lame

Like I only played one character who somehow always knew things they shouldn't but this was a joke character. This character was only there specifically to mess with people and get them to do her favors like take her to the movies, buy her food and video games and shit and the thing was even that character didn't actually know things they shouldn't. I'd have her show up somewhere make people believe she heard or saw something important and she would imply that she did and at the end of it she wouldn't actually know anything but she pretended as she did so they would give her what she wanted. There was one time they tried to call her bluff and she actually knew but there was a logical reason for why she knew so that one doesn't really count lol.

The way you type is painful to read.

I'm not sorry.
qiudhqiowuedh
enjoy the typing let me live omg no punctuation will you die maybe noty.

Ok. Well, thankfully, I don't rp the same way I text. Is this more proper for you?
If not, then I am kindly telling you to fuck off 😏

lmfao im joking but yes i agree with you I can text like garbage. Thats mostly cause im tired and its supposed to be casual. Im usually multitasking so I just text wtv and move on.

I think we talked about this before but I hate when you're in an RP and you have a really good design for a character that you want to make but everyone else is making these super OP characters and now you have the up the ante on your character's powers really early because you don't want to be that character who gets picked on because you are literally and notably weaker than everyone else from Jump. So you have to forgo the growth you had planned for them to go through and therefore some of their development has to be skipped.

I think we talked about this before but I hate when you're in an RP and you have a really good design for a character that you want to make but everyone else is making these super OP characters and now you have the up the ante on your character's powers really early because you don't want to be that character who gets picked on because you are literally and notably weaker than everyone else from Jump. So you have to forgo the growth you had planned for them to go through and therefore some of their development has to be skipped.
Is it bad that I kinda avoid the superhero/villain and the school based RPs for this exact reason?

Oh crap, I freaking forgot about this particular thing.

When a group roleplay is LITERALLY centered around one character, just one. Then all the other characters get dismissed or treated poorly, while said character gets special treatment and expects everybody to like them. There’s absolutely no plot, it’s pretty much just about the ‘Misadventures of So-and-So’. The whole subject is seriously just about how special said character is and how great they are, and how all the other characters are beneath them. It’s usually cliche things that make them important too, like they were born to be special, or they’re a hybrid, or they have a ultra rare super awesome power! That, and said character only interacts with one other person as a possible love interest.​

When you have a particularly attractive faceclaim so now everyone wants to be your love interest solely because of your face claim and nothing else.

When you have a particularly attractive faceclaim so now everyone wants to be your love interest solely because of your face claim and nothing else.

Yeah this is why I go out of my way to find realistic looking people. I'm going to be the one person in this roleplay who actually looks like they could exist in a real setting and weren't' airbrushed into being.

I also can't deal with people using super famous actors as fcs bc I'm just distracted the entire time lol
Especially if they have a picture or gif of them next to all of their IC posts. Please I can't take your character seriously bc my brain is like "that's not (insert OC name here) that's Robert Downey Jr"

I also can't deal with people using super famous actors as fcs bc I'm just distracted the entire time lol
Especially if they have a picture or gif of them next to all of their IC posts. Please I can't take your character seriously bc my brain is like "that's not (insert OC name here) that's Robert Downey Jr"

So funny story when I was a wee geekling I had a character whose face claim was Demi Lovato. And actually had someone mention it in the roleplay. "Huh so and so sure looks like Demi Lovato." Poor wee geekling was so embarrassed.

So funny story when I was a wee geekling I had a character whose face claim was Demi Lovato. And actually had someone mention it in the roleplay. "Huh so and so sure looks like Demi Lovato." Poor wee geekling was so embarrassed.
that's hilarious to me and is also making me wonder, in realistic roleplays set in this world/time period, when people use celebrity faceclaims.. do the celebrities not exist in that RP's reality or are these ocs straight up doppelgangers lol

that's hilarious to me and is also making me wonder, in realistic roleplays set in this world/time period, when people use celebrity faceclaims.. do the celebrities not exist in that RP's reality or are these ocs straight up doppelgangers lol

I did read a fanfic where all the actors who played the MCU characters actually existed separately in the universe. And the Avengers liked to get together to rag on each other about the various movies their dopplegangers where in. (But RDJ and Tony were totes besties. As where Hemsworth/Thor, and Evans/Cap. I dont' know if anyone else made mention of a particular feeling about their doppleganger.)

This actually has a proper name. It’s called metagaming and I agree it is never fun to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back