Roleplay Pet Peeves

The real psychopathy here is that they apparently liked Suicide Squad.
Probably shouldn't have laughed at this as much as I did.
I never even watched Suicide Squad....... the trailers were enough for me lol

Actually Suicide Squad taps into a fairly common trope in the romance genre. For instance it's basically the same thing that made Fifty Shades of Grey so popular. And that is people not paying attention to context and instead focusing only on the surface level of the relationship.

They saw them as "Relationship Goals" because Joker spent most of his screen time seeming to fawn over Harley and go out of his way to "win" her back. So the fantasy their chasing is that some man will fawn over them and do anything to win them back.

That of course ignores the context of the characters actual relationships and both individuals clear mental illnesses.

It's the same thing with Fifty Shades, both characters have severe emotional issues. The main male lead has legitimate psychological issues he needs to address with a psychologist. But all people pay attention to is the very surface premise. "Rich man falls in love with mousy nobody, teaches her about 'naughty' sex and marries her so she ends up rich with babies."

Like that's the basic premise that strips away all context. And it's the thing that makes people eat up the series. Because they don't know enough to see that the relationship is extremely abusive (most have no idea what BDSM actually is) and they don't notice the context of the mental health issues.

( All this to say that yes this is very upsetting when you look at it from a fully contextual standpoint. I just don't think the people who like it are reading it that deeply and are actually trying to romanticize abuse/mental health issues consciously. )

Actually, Suicide Squad taps into a fairly common trope in the romance genre. For instance, it's basically the same thing that made Fifty Shades of Grey so popular. And that is people not paying attention to context and instead focusing only on the surface level of the relationship.

They saw them as "Relationship Goals" because Joker spent most of his screen time seeming to fawn over Harley and go out of his way to "win" her back. So the fantasy their chasing is that some man will fawn over them and do anything to win them back.

That, of course, ignores the context of the characters actual relationships and both individuals clear mental illnesses.

It's the same thing with Fifty Shades, both characters have severe emotional issues. The main male lead has legitimate psychological issues he needs to address with a psychologist. But all people pay attention to is the very surface premise. "Rich man falls in love with mousy nobody, teaches her about 'naughty' sex and marries her so she ends up rich with babies."

Like that's the basic premise that strips away all context. And it's the thing that makes people eat up the series. Because they don't know enough to see that the relationship is extremely abusive (most have no idea what BDSM actually is) and they don't notice the context of the mental health issues.

( All this to say that yes this is very upsetting when you look at it from a fully contextual standpoint. I just don't think the people who like it are reading it that deeply and are actually trying to romanticize abuse/mental health issues consciously. )
Well I actually liked their portrayal of Joker and Harley's relationship if you pay attention you'll notice the relationship is being presented from Harley's point of view so we see her delusional fantasy of what she believes their relationship is like, notice he seems deeply in love with her but his true nature is shown at key points in the movie...when Harley is either unconscious or not present. The first time we see how Joker abandons her underwater to drown in a car crash when Harley is temporarily knocked out with no regard for her life or safety the second that I can remember is when Harley fell during Joker's failed attempt to spring her from the squad.

Did Harley Quinn and the Joker teach them nothing!
Of course, not there were people claiming them as "Relationship Goals" after watching Suicide Squad

Exactly what came to mind as we were talking about this earlier. He literally made her jump in a bucket of acid to prove she loved him... so romantic

I definitely agree that movies and books tend to romanticize abuse and mental health issues, which perhaps is why a lot of people begin to think what they’re seeing is real love.

Last edited:
Well I actually liked their portrayal of Joker and Harley's relationship if you pay attention you'll notice the relationship is being presented from Harley's point of view so we see her delusional fantasy of what she believes their relationship is like, notice he seems deeply in love with her but his true nature is shown at key points in the movie...when Harley is either unconscious or not present. The first time we see how Joker abandons her underwater to drown in a car crash when Harley is temporarily knocked out with no regard for her life or safety the second that I can remember is when Harley fell during Joker's failed attempt to spring her from the squad.
Okay, cool.

Still terrible relationship goals.

And still an overall terrible movie. I shudder to think what the Joker movie'll be like.

But that’s kinda my point. The people saying “Relationship Goals” AREN’T paying attention to the relationship.

They just see surface level stuff and fill in the blanks with their own insecurities.

I’m not saying the actual relationship in the movie itself was bad. It just sure as fuck wasn’t “romantic” or mentally healthy

I don't know if I have any huge pet peeves - I really like to accept people are at different stages in their writing career/hobby and be encouraging so if someone is at the stage their writing style and needs are different to mine I'll try to accommodate it.

However, there is something I found while rereading an old rp that I clearly responded poorly to.

I understand people set up plots with pre defined character dynamics, but making assumptions in the story to force a character dynamic to further your own story is something I got really peeved about.

So in this plot two brothers travelled to the coast. One was brawny (but you know smart because God forbid this character wasn't dominant over mine in every way) and mine was intelligent but less physically adept.

So as the rp progressed I wrote my character as being capable of living independently and the partner wrote in the assumption was he had been physically ill the previous year. My character found a packmule and boom, the other characters still needed to carry mines pack. My character signed up to work as a cartographer and suddenly he was too feeble to work.

Forcing this kind of dynamic meant I felt like I had no advocacy in my character and, as a result, he was written very resentfully - and we decided not to continue.

Lots of ooc banter really prevents this and in all my rps here I've been encouraging of people to make assumptions about what my characters are doing and even reactions etc. It's really about removing the ability for me to roleplay my own character development arcs.

Last edited:
Mostly the typical stuff. Writing level incompatible with own, one-sentence responses to a lengthy paragraph, but my least favorite... If they are role-playing a canon character, portraying them as completely to fit their own fantasy narrative. Like, sometimes it's fine to be a tad OOC imo to add a little flair, but being completely OOC and refusing to stay true to the character? Last time I checked, Sasuke Uchiha wasn't a socially awkward yandere with the hots for Naruto... Not a jab at anyone, just an example.

But that’s kinda my point. The people saying “Relationship Goals” AREN’T paying attention to the relationship.

They just see surface level stuff and fill in the blanks with their own insecurities.

I’m not saying the actual relationship in the movie itself was bad. It just sure as fuck wasn’t “romantic” or mentally healthy
Oh no most certainly not but I know a lot of people claimed the movie tried to make their relationship seem romantic when it's not I was just saying that it wasn't their intent.

WOULDS.
Just... woulds.
I hate the word "would" in roleplays.
Really, just write what your character does - not theorise what she would or would not have done!

I admit that whenever I saw that, I was tempted to just go "well, he would, but since he didn't..." and ignore what the character "would" do.

I admit that whenever I saw that, I was tempted to just go "well, he would, but since he didn't..." and ignore what the character "would" do.
Well, to be fair you can't always just say that your character did because it could be considered auto-hit because you didn't give your opponent a chance to counter and saying what they would do if successful inform their opponent of what will happen if they cannot properly counter or dodge.

I don't think that ever applied to the cases I've seen. I've never done a dice RP or one where the fights didn't involve gameplay, which then would have been legitimate instances to use "would", and even then, it was preferred to use "attempts/ing to" or the like instead. They were used when they clearly weren't meant just as an attempt of the character to do something, nor where not doing so would imply controlling another character's actions. Also not as part of dialogue, where it would be understandable to say something like "I would argue that the evidence leaves room for doubt".

I'd honestly like to hear the explanation behind it, really, to use "would" all the time. It just doesn't make sense at all to me, but maybe it does for a native english speaker or something, I don't know. "He would walk up to her and say good morning." doesn't make sense to me. "He would have walked up to her and said good morning if only she weren't with Bob", now that does make sense if you ask me. Or something like "he walked up to her, and would say good morning if she looked at him", which gives the next player chance to ignore or react to it, as well as some more conditional actions to reply to if they choose the latter. I know there are times "would" makes sense, but since I've repeatedly (maybe even always) seen it used when it doesn't, it became annoying. Just a personal thing, like other pet peeves.

WOULDS.
Just... woulds.
I hate the word "would" in roleplays.
Really, just write what your character does - not theorise what she would or would not have done!
Ugh! I hate it too but I'm too much if a pushover to ask people to stop.

I really need a much stricter co-GM who takes care of this stuff while I come up with plots and junk because I'm bad at it.

That is usually what I do. Just ignore all the WOULDs. They are ugly and pretty incorrect from my professional (lingustic) point of view.

I really need a much stricter co-GM who takes care of this stuff while I come up with plots and junk because I'm bad at it.
I welcome you on board.

People who can't read instructions.

If I ask you to copy and paste the codes than copy and paste the codes. If you can't do that on your device than let me know.
If I ask for one to two paragraphs about a character than don't give me a single sentence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back