Roleplay Pet Peeves

I have, finally, learned to start matching the effort others put into the RP rather than put the same amount I always put in.

My largest pet peeve is people who do not drive plot in their post. Every one of my posts will push the plot forward in one way or another and it gets really exhausting when you have to do all the driving on your own 100% of the time. 

Also, promising to be a multi-para poster and not doing so. Don't swoon me with your words! Let me continue by saying I do not expect every post to be multi-paragraph. What I am talking about is when someone is horribly lacking in any kind of description in their posts to the point it becomes two lines of useless dialogue. Setting scene and properly writing actions is a huge part of role play and writing in general. Quality over Quantity. But, quality is not 1-2 liners where nothing happens and someone says, "Oh. Thanks."

I never used to understand why people got so upset about god modding when I first started RPing... Ages ago. But, I completely understand, now. It's not a hard thing to avoid doing. Taking the power away from the character owner and determining how their character will be affected in any given situation is wildly inappropriate. 

Finally, people who feel personally attacked when you offer feedback. RPing is a 2-way street. I always ask for feedback, especially in more sensitive scenes (I write a lot of dark RP). And one of those tricks is to give 2 positive points for every negative (I learned that from one of my current RP partners <3). That's great, softens the blow, I'm sure. But, I'm not saying, "You're a shit writer please let me sparta kick you off a Peruvian mountain now." I'm saying, "This is something I didn't really like, but I enjoy writing with you enough that I'd like to address this." OR "I think you are a capable enough writer and this would make you that much better."

You don't Spartan kick people off mountains?

I have, finally, learned to start matching the effort others put into the RP rather than put the same amount I always put in.

My largest pet peeve is people who do not drive plot in their post. Every one of my posts will push the plot forward in one way or another and it gets really exhausting when you have to do all the driving on your own 100% of the time. 

Also, promising to be a multi-para poster and not doing so. Don't swoon me with your words! Let me continue by saying I do not expect every post to be multi-paragraph. What I am talking about is when someone is horribly lacking in any kind of description in their posts to the point it becomes two lines of useless dialogue. Setting scene and properly writing actions is a huge part of role play and writing in general. Quality over Quantity. But, quality is not 1-2 liners where nothing happens and someone says, "Oh. Thanks."

I never used to understand why people got so upset about god modding when I first started RPing... Ages ago. But, I completely understand, now. It's not a hard thing to avoid doing. Taking the power away from the character owner and determining how their character will be affected in any given situation is wildly inappropriate. 

Finally, people who feel personally attacked when you offer feedback. RPing is a 2-way street. I always ask for feedback, especially in more sensitive scenes (I write a lot of dark RP). And one of those tricks is to give 2 positive points for every negative (I learned that from one of my current RP partners <3). That's great, softens the blow, I'm sure. But, I'm not saying, "You're a shit writer please let me sparta kick you off a Peruvian mountain now." I'm saying, "This is something I didn't really like, but I enjoy writing with you enough that I'd like to address this." OR "I think you are a capable enough writer and this would make you that much better."

I think I would feel offended if my partner didn't give me constructive feedback, that's how you grow as a writer. Not everyone takes feedback positively unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wait... So do you like, ask people for criticism? I've honestly never seen anyone do this before nor do I know people who just give criticism without being asked.

I'm not trying to bash you or anything, though, I'm just really intrigued by this xD

Wait... So do you like, ask people for criticism? I've honestly never seen anyone do this before nor do I know people who just give criticism without being asked.

I'm not trying to bash you or anything, though, I'm just really intrigued by this xD

It's not that I ask for criticism, the conversation is had before hand. "Hey, we should talk about things if they bother you." Also, after particularly difficult scenes (whether they're difficult because they're emotional, intense.. Whatever), I always ask to talk about it. "How did you feel about that scene? What did you like/dislike?" All dat shit.

1 minute ago, Ternunda Hunter said:

It's not that I ask for criticism, the conversation is had before hand. "Hey, we should talk about things if they bother you." Also, after particularly difficult scenes (whether they're difficult because they're emotional, intense.. Whatever), I always ask to talk about it. "How did you feel about that scene? What did you like/dislike?" All dat shit.

I see, I see.

You don't Spartan kick people off mountains?

You dont do this? You're missing out man...

Another pet peeve of mine is when rpers are NEVER Serious.  Its ok to be funny, but not all the time

a Bad Attempt to Write is better than no attempt at all. still,

my biggest pet peeve is 99% of the combat roleplayers on Aniroleplay. they take a popular anime character as a faceclaim; pile on way too many superpowers and circle jerk to the number of equally overpowered opponents they beat because they try to trump logic with brute force because they don't want that common sense stopping them from winning. i found one guy who i rewarded with the win, even though he let me get away with detonating/igniting the oxygen in his whirling vaccuum with a conjured plasma bomb. he was one of the few decent roleplayers i met there. their fights never even truly end, they spend 90% of their time complaining to a judge over positioning and why they should survive being nuked by a plasma bomb spell from a highly proficient shaman of the primordial elemental variety.

a Bad Attempt to Write is better than no attempt at all. still,

my biggest pet peeve is 99% of the combat roleplayers on Aniroleplay. they take a popular anime character as a faceclaim; pile on way too many superpowers and circle jerk to the number of equally overpowered opponents they beat because they try to trump logic with brute force because they don't want that common sense stopping them from winning. i found one guy who i rewarded with the win, even though he let me get away with detonating/igniting the oxygen in his whirling vaccuum with a conjured plasma bomb. he was one of the few decent roleplayers i met there. their fights never even truly end, they spend 90% of their time complaining to a judge over positioning and why they should survive being nuked by a plasma bomb spell from a highly proficient shaman of the primordial elemental variety.

Umbrie, there you go cracking me up.

Combat I've seen is not really realistic. Injuries don't mean anything to the one injured. I think I can count on my hand how much combat I saw that actually does not involve a painful amount of superpowers and the ability to not take hits.

Umbrie, there you go cracking me up.

Combat I've seen is not really realistic. Injuries don't mean anything to the one injured. I think I can count on my hand how much combat I saw that actually does not involve a painful amount of superpowers and the ability to not take hits.

roleplay combat isn't meant to be realistic. but science still applies to an extent. placing a Wind Vaccuum barrier with a greater than normal amount of charge around yourself means you are surrounded by quite a massive amount of oxygen, oxygen is flammable, a master shaman like Ilina Aniri just needs to conjure a small plasma bomb and chuck it at the vaccuum, which will cause the plasma to ignite all the oxygen in the barrier, screwing mister wind dude for using his vaccuum barrier. i could have done it with fire or lightning too, but i figured why not do it with plasma. even though i didn't get the expected one shot, i did badly cripple the guy with 5th degree burns. he only won because he was growing wasps and Ilina at the time, had a fear of insects and didn't want to be eaten by whitejackets and decided to both run and surrender.

Cue the OC who is so astonishingly beautiful that everyone, and I mean everyone, stops and stares.The essence of their beauty is mentioned in every post with enough adjectives that grown men curl up into fetal positions and weep.

Their beauty leaves behind no victims, no one is immune. Heads turn, jaws drop. 
This OC is gorgeous and you need to know about it all the time. All the time. There is no escape. 

roleplay combat isn't meant to be realistic. but science still applies to an extent. placing a Wind Vaccuum barrier with a greater than normal amount of charge around yourself means you are surrounded by quite a massive amount of oxygen, oxygen is flammable, a master shaman like Ilina Aniri just needs to conjure a small plasma bomb and chuck it at the vaccuum, which will cause the plasma to ignite all the oxygen in the barrier, screwing mister wind dude for using his vaccuum barrier. i could have done it with fire or lightning too, but i figured why not do it with plasma. even though i didn't get the expected one shot, i did badly cripple the guy with 5th degree burns. he only won because he was growing wasps and Ilina at the time, had a fear of insects and didn't want to be eaten by whitejackets and decided to both run and surrender.

It depends on the genre and who writes it though. I personally would go into description if I'm doing a scene of combat but that's just me.

For example if a character is using a gun for the first time and they don't know how to hold it, I'll describe the recoil and the weight. The psychological damage if they happen to kill someone. 

Same thing with fantasy, the weight of the sword how different swords feel. That's things I like, to each their own though.

It depends on the genre and who writes it though. I personally would go into description if I'm doing a scene of combat but that's just me.

For example if a character is using a gun for the first time and they don't know how to hold it, I'll describe the recoil and the weight. The psychological damage if they happen to kill someone. 

Same thing with fantasy, the weight of the sword how different swords feel. That's things I like, to each their own though.

and i described the effect Ilina's plasma bomb spell would have on the Wind Vaccuum when the oxygen was ignited, getting way too gory for PG-13 by explaining how her opponent overcharging his vaccuum barrier sealed his own fate by gathering so much oxygen around himself, and how the seasoned Shaman would proceed to vampirize his remaining essence like he were a dying tree or a candle light being snuffed. because Ilina, before she created her daughters using alchemy, saw herself as the epitome of natural selection and was a bit of a darwinist who beleived in thinning out the gene pools of other species. she mellowed out when she had to raise her daughters though. defected from Unseelie to Seelie. moved to live among humans, originally to shape them on the perfect path, then later living as a companion and an equal.

and i described the effect Ilina's plasma bomb spell would have on the Wind Vaccuum when the oxygen was ignited, getting way too gory for PG-13 by explaining how her opponent overcharging his vaccuum barrier sealed his own fate by gathering so much oxygen around himself, and how the seasoned Shaman would proceed to vampirize his remaining essence like he were a dying tree or a candle light being snuffed. because Ilina, before she created her daughters using alchemy, saw herself as the epitome of natural selection and was a bit of a darwinist who beleived in thinning out the gene pools of other species. she mellowed out when she had to raise her daughters though. defected from Unseelie to Seelie. moved to live among humans, originally to shape them on the perfect path, then later living as a companion and an equal.

I wasn't saying you don't describe your combat, I meant in general. Things I've seen.

my pet peeves are grammar nazis people that say you suck were through, people that don't offer to help or people rping things i dont know

my pet peeves are grammar nazis people that say you suck were through, people that don't offer to help or people rping things i dont know

G-Nazi: YOU SUCK AT ROLEPLAYING!

Me: Okay, tell me how to improve.

G-Nazi: You just suck! Fix that okay?!

;~;

roleplay combat isn't meant to be realistic. but science still applies to an extent.

A good example of this: Devil may Cry Dante's extreme demonic healing, allowing him to be stabbed multiple times by many different weapons (including his own) and surviving a bullet... To the head

Scrolling down more...

I once had someone whine about me "godmodding" when i was using a Slime Girl Character. My character cannot physically harm anyone, but cannot be physically killed... Its a social character that shouldn't even be able to enter combat, and a kid tries to kill said character anyways

Off topic about what you said, but it happened

I once started an RP with someone and then they told me I was playing my character wrong. But, uh...it's MY character...I think I know how to play MY OWN CHARACTER. They wouldn't stop saying it either. Very annoying.

I once started an RP with someone and then they told me I was playing my character wrong. But, uh...it's MY character...I think I know how to play MY OWN CHARACTER. They wouldn't stop saying it either. Very annoying.

Average case of the control freak. Raised as a princess during their childhood, despite being a "Man" (lil' kid/ man child) and thinks they know the meaning of life. Treatment options are telling them to go back to Minecraft/Roblox/Cod and having some minor toxicity towards them... im a doctor i swear .3.

Ok my pet peeves i'm pretty layed back 

first pet peeve is  major because i will immediately tell you it will not work out. I hate when people control who i have to be and dont pull there load in the  roleplay. Its annoying!

i dont have problems with grammar not really what i look at.

G-Nazi: YOU SUCK AT ROLEPLAYING!

Me: Okay, tell me how to improve.

G-Nazi: You just suck! Fix that okay?!

;~;

Nein! Sie haben eine Missachtung der schönen Sprache gezeigt, die uns unser Führer gegeben hat. Um die Lager mit Ihnen!

One of my pet peeves are roleplayers who think it's my job to tutor them in how to write better. There are hundreds of RPs on the site, if I don't like your writing, I don't have to let you in my thread, and I don't owe it to you to instruct you on how to "write better".

Though honestly, the biggest thing I look for is punctuation and capitalization. I've met people who don't realize that quotes and dialogue have to be in quotation marks - it's not fucking decoration, it's English syntax. And if someone "doesn't care" about making sure that the first word in every sentence is capitalized, you think I'm going to trust that they care about other small details in my RP? Like, really?

RPing isn't a job, it's not school, I'm not grading people, I swear... but I'm going to choose people who have good technical writing and boring ideas over people with "bad writing" and good ideas.

Idk if it's already been said, but my biggest pet peeve is someone joining a RP and their intro post is completely out of context of the RP's current scene or setting. For example, there was one RP where we were in the middle of a battle in a city and someone's intro post included their character in a random tower, playing the piano while overseeing the battle underway. Like, wut?

Other than that, I also find poor grammar, spelling, capitalization, English in general to rub me the wrong way. I can get very blunt in telling someone what they're doing wrong, but it irritates me way more when they dispute their poor English instead of actually considering my criticism. Do I make mistakes? Yes. Do I want someone to tell me? Yes. Will I maybe argue? Probably. But will I shove their criticism away? No. I may argue at first, but I always accept criticism. 

Which leads to my next pet peeve: I hate RPers who refuse any and all criticisms, thus refusing to ever improve. -.-

As for my final pet peeve, it definitely would have to be (as sort of mentioned above) GMs who want to help any and all RPers (i.e. accept everyone into their RP without actually saying no because not all RPers are qualified). Especially when we have a good veteran set of RPers and they accept a new RPer, who gets us off-plot and disrupts the flow of our RP.

One of my pet peeves are roleplayers who think it's my job to tutor them in how to write better. There are hundreds of RPs on the site, if I don't like your writing, I don't have to let you in my thread, and I don't owe it to you to instruct you on how to "write better".

Though honestly, the biggest thing I look for is punctuation and capitalization. I've met people who don't realize that quotes and dialogue have to be in quotation marks - it's not fucking decoration, it's English syntax. And if someone "doesn't care" about making sure that the first word in every sentence is capitalized, you think I'm going to trust that they care about other small details in my RP? Like, really?

RPing isn't a job, it's not school, I'm not grading people, I swear... but I'm going to choose people who have good technical writing and boring ideas over people with "bad writing" and good ideas.

off topic, that explains why my join request was still pending....(well it was too intimidating for my taste so screw it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back