Roleplay Pet Peeves

One of my pet peeves are roleplayers who think it's my job to tutor them in how to write better. There are hundreds of RPs on the site, if I don't like your writing, I don't have to let you in my thread, and I don't owe it to you to instruct you on how to "write better".

Though honestly, the biggest thing I look for is punctuation and capitalization. I've met people who don't realize that quotes and dialogue have to be in quotation marks - it's not fucking decoration, it's English syntax. And if someone "doesn't care" about making sure that the first word in every sentence is capitalized, you think I'm going to trust that they care about other small details in my RP? Like, really?

RPing isn't a job, it's not school, I'm not grading people, I swear... but I'm going to choose people who have good technical writing and boring ideas over people with "bad writing" and good ideas.

Unless I'm in a real hurry, I type up all of my RP in Word and let grammar check warn me of any basic grammar errors.   I strongly suggestion that anyone having issues with Capitalization and Punctuation copy their work into Word before posting.   

off topic, that explains why my join request was still pending....(well it was too intimidating for my taste so screw it.)

It's pending because I just started the semester and sidelined RPing for a week. :P

When people don't read rules. I just...hate it. Here are two entirely real examples of this that I've come across:

Example 1: Codename 18+-Lover

Me: No 18+

Person: Alright, let's RP! Just one question, is 18+ ok?

Me: No.

Person: Alright, 18+ is it!

Person: I only do 18+ RPs.

Me: I don't care. I'm not RPing with you.

Person: Alright then, we should probably post character sheets.

Me: I DON'T WANT TO RP. IS THERE A LANGUAGE BARRIER OR SOMETHING?

Person: Ok, dude, geez. *leaves*

Example 2: No OC Means No OC

Me: No OCs.

Person: I wanna RP! Let's do OCxCanon.

Person: But I want to do OCxCanon.

Me: Well then go somewhere else.

Person: But you don't like OCs and I do so if we do OCxCanon there's something for everyone.

Me: That's the most half-assed explanation I've ever heard. I said no OCs and that means no OCs. Whatsoever.

Person: You're so rude! *leaves*

I hate people. I mean, why do I even put rules on my RP searches if nobody's going to read them?

Unless I'm in a real hurry, I type up all of my RP in Word and let grammar check warn me of any basic grammar errors.   I strongly suggestion that anyone having issues with Capitalization and Punctuation copy their work into Word before posting.   

That's a good idea. Another way to do it is with the grammarly browser extension. The free version corrects most basic grammar mistakes (punctuation and capitilization, as well as tense and common word choice errors). Plus it's compatible with this site which is useful. It saves a bit of time since copying and pasting isn't required. Given that people often tend to have grammar pet peeves, the extension is a good way to smooth out the rough edges that can be made when typing quickly or out of habit. I know that personally I tend to appreciate it when things read like they do in a book ^_^

That's a good idea. Another way to do it is with the grammarly browser extension. The free version corrects most basic grammar mistakes (punctuation and capitilization, as well as tense and common word choice errors). Plus it's compatible with this site which is useful. It saves a bit of time since copying and pasting isn't required. Given that people often tend to have grammar pet peeves, the extension is a good way to smooth out the rough edges that can be made when typing quickly or out of habit. I know that personally I tend to appreciate it when things read like they do in a book ^_^

I'll have to check out the grammarly browser extension.   I am just using the default Google spell check.  

When people don't read rules. I just...hate it. Here are two entirely real examples of this that I've come across:

Example 1: Codename 18+-Lover

Me: No 18+

Person: Alright, let's RP! Just one question, is 18+ ok?

Person: Alright, 18+ is it!

Person: I only do 18+ RPs.

Me: I don't care. I'm not RPing with you.

Person: Alright then, we should probably post character sheets.

Me: I DON'T WANT TO RP. IS THERE A LANGUAGE BARRIER OR SOMETHING?

Person: Ok, dude, geez. *leaves*

Example 2: No OC Means No OC

Person: I wanna RP! Let's do OCxCanon.

Person: But I want to do OCxCanon.

Me: Well then go somewhere else.

Person: But you don't like OCs and I do so if we do OCxCanon there's something for everyone.

Me: That's the most half-assed explanation I've ever heard. I said no OCs and that means no OCs. Whatsoever.

Person: You're so rude! *leaves*

I hate people. I mean, why do I even put rules on my RP searches if nobody's going to read them?

We have run into similar people I see. I love how there are people out there that think No is just a suggestion. It's like in their mind there is always a but...

When I'm like look I have broken this down into the plainest english possible. No is No. Now stop contacting me.

Changing from third person to second to first all in one single post, I can only shake my head at this.

I'll have to check out the grammarly browser extension.   I am just using the default Google spell check.  

Do be careful with grammarly, though, because some people have reported issues with it and this website. Like some things start working oddly. There are a few help threads in the questions sections where grammarly was causing issues.

Pet peeve 1 - 1x1s: Please do not put stuff in your interest check that you have no interest in actually roleplaying. This should be pretty self-explanatory, but I've had more than one situation where someone contacts me about doing a roleplay, links me an interest check, and then only wants to do ONE particular pairing or plot listed on said interest check. I get having a favorite or a craving for something and all, but I can't wrap my head around not crossing stuff out or even deleting it from the post altogether if you don't want people to inquire about it.

Pet peeve 2 - Group Combat: Those that know me know I like to write about combat scenes and tend to use realism in my posts. Real sword techniques, real strategies, real marksmanship with added Hollywood flair to make it go down more smoothly so it doesn't read like a USMC handbook. Writing about it as often as I have, I understand that anime and TV superpowers are going to come with the territory. However, it really does piss me off when people basically hijack your stuff or alter what they're doing based on what you are doing.

If that's confusing, I'll provide some examples:

Me: Lee turned to the General. "They're moving the cannons to the top of the hill. While they're distracted, we can move the Calvary around and flank them from the side." 

Them: Maddox clapped his hands. The other side has fallen for their evil plan! It was a clever feint all along! "Is the secret never-before mentioned infantry in place?"

Them: Bruce spins around and brings his sword into an uberawesome overhand full of destructive power!

Me: Grady attacks him the moment he presents his back to the enemy while keeping his shield up to intercept the obvious incoming blow.

Them: Bruce saw this coming from a mile away so he dodges mid-spin (somehow) and disarms Grady.

This bullshit happens so frequently, I try not to PVP roleplay with other players over PVE. 

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that it gives an insane advantage to whoever initiates a combat post first for the same reason. 

Pet peeve 3 - Character Sheets: I know I mentioned this on the old pet peeves thread, yet it bears repeating as I still see this happening quite a lot. I really detest when GMs make absurdly long and pointless character sheet requirements as a form of passive-aggressive gatekeeping. This is not a knock on character sheets or even rejecting character sheets because they're not up to snuff. This is when the GM wants to make a point about how elite they are by making their character sheets into 10 page long essays.

"If I can fill it out easy, you all should be able to! It's not ridiculous to make a 10 paragraph backstory requirement! You're just not 'lite enough to roleplay with me." /ugh

Last edited by a moderator:
Those that know me know I like to write about combat scenes and tend to use realism in my posts. Real sword techniques, real strategies, real marksmanship with added Hollywood flair to make it go down more smoothly so it doesn't read like a USMC handbook. Writing about it as often as I have, I understand that anime and TV superpowers are going to come with the territory. However, it really does piss me off when people basically hijack your stuff or alter what they're doing based on what you are doing.

If that's confusing, I'll provide some examples:

Me: Lee turned to the General. "They're moving the cannons to the top of the hill. While they're distracted, we can move the Calvary around and flank them from the side." 

Them: Maddox clapped his hands. The other side has fallen for their evil plan! It was a clever feint all along! "Is the secret never-before mentioned infantry in place?"

Them: Bruce spins around and brings his sword into an uberawesome overhand full of destructive power!

Me: Grady attacks him the moment he presents his back to the enemy while keeping his shield up to intercept the obvious incoming blow.

Them: Bruce saw this coming from a mile away so he dodges mid-spin (somehow) and disarms Grady.

This bullshit happens so frequently, I try not to PVP roleplay with other players over PVE

You must know about Roblox Roleplayers!

When people become stupid when they dont get their way. Its as simple as that

Heres a picture. You're roleplaying as a Murderer that uses electricity to his advantage in Chases. You've been exposed to the electricity so much, that you're only slowed when getting shocked, rendering tasers nearly useless.

A war veteran enter's your forest... WHO THE HELL BRINGS A SCAR-HAMR AND A KSG-12 TO AN EMPTY FOREST?

You tell them "Please dont play a character with a weapon. You can find weapons throughout the forest" "Can i atleast have a pistol?" "No you cant. Your character can have gun experience, but not a gun with him" "Some people just want to have fun you know" What? Im sorry, but now allowing someone to bring a gun in a horror rp isnt fun? Later on, after telling them about your murderer's electric resistance, you taze him with an Arc Charged Chain, only making your muscles shake some. "Hey! Your character should be tazed as well!" "I already mentioned that my character is only lightly effected by Electric Shocks" "Stop god modding!" "Its not god modding. He is slowed when taking an electric shock. And if you can stop his heart, it will never beat again" "God you're such a bad rper" yea ok

Better yet, you're roleplaying a warzone. You're entire squad is pushed back and your sniper has been killed. Suddenly, a Private with a low ranking rifle is able to operate a F***ing bolt action flawlessly and save your entire squad... with a sniper... in CQC. "Hey man, your character shouldnt be able to operate high ranking weapons. Remember our trust rules please" "But i picked it up from a body!" "One, your characters weapon experience isnt high enough. Two, we didnt kill a sniper there." "Too bad, i can use any weapon i want"

Kevin-Hart-Really-GIF.gif

You must know about Roblox Roleplayers!

When people become stupid when they dont get their way. Its as simple as that

Heres a picture. You're roleplaying as a Murderer that uses electricity to his advantage in Chases. You've been exposed to the electricity so much, that you're only slowed when getting shocked, rendering tasers nearly useless.

A war veteran enter's your forest... WHO THE HELL BRINGS A SCAR-HAMR AND A KSG-12 TO AN EMPTY FOREST?

You tell them "Please dont play a character with a weapon. You can find weapons throughout the forest" "Can i atleast have a pistol?" "No you cant. Your character can have gun experience, but not a gun with him" "Some people just want to have fun you know" What? Im sorry, but now allowing someone to bring a gun in a horror rp isnt fun? Later on, after telling them about your murderer's electric resistance, you taze him with an Arc Charged Chain, only making your muscles shake some. "Hey! Your character should be tazed as well!" "I already mentioned that my character is only lightly effected by Electric Shocks" "Stop god modding!" "Its not god modding. He is slowed when taking an electric shock. And if you can stop his heart, it will never beat again" "God you're such a bad rper" yea ok

Better yet, you're roleplaying a warzone. You're entire squad is pushed back and your sniper has been killed. Suddenly, a Private with a low ranking rifle is able to operate a F***ing bolt action flawlessly and save your entire squad... with a sniper... in CQC. "Hey man, your character shouldnt be able to operate high ranking weapons. Remember our trust rules please" "But i picked it up from a body!" "One, your characters weapon experience isnt high enough. Two, we didnt kill a sniper there." "Too bad, i can use any weapon i want"

the reason firearms were popular and still are is because you could use them as an affordable means to arm and train a group of helpless peasants for a raid in less than a day. this effectively allowed countries to convert more f their populations into soldiers at one time due to the intense lack of training required compared to other ranged weapons. freeing up time to learn other relevant skills.

@Umbrie I think what Lambda meant was more that they find it frustrating when people refuse to accept that their character has to follow estabilished rules of the roleplays and throw a fit when their character isn't allowed to be that one special exception to everything.

It would be the same as if I said - 

Rule 3 - No faeries or supernatural creatures in my roleplay

And then someone tried to apply to the roleplay with a werewolf character.

Me : Um no I said your character can't be a supernatural creature.

Player : but it's okay they have this special serum that lets them keep in control when they transform.

Me: But I said no supernatural creatures. Period. Please change your character to fit the roleplay.

Player : uuugh why are you being so unreasonable * storms off in a huff*

It's not about whether the rules are realistic or not. It's the fact that the rules are the rules. No one gets to be an exception.

sorriesies. i got so focused on the example as to forget the point of it. though the werewolf example is a lot clearer to me. i probably wouldn't force a Faerie on a GM that disallowed players from playing as supernatural creatures. doesn't stop me from rewriting that "faerie wizard" as an intelligent young autistic scholar whom happens to be a bit superstitious.

I had a potential player submit a similar character.

"Hey, I'm starting a Scarlet Empire Political Game."

"Oh!  I got this centuries old character who wants to take over heaven."

"Um... That character's backstory could spout a whole separate game.  We aren't really going to be focusing too much on heaven.  And your character is a bit too experienced for the game."

"Well my character has a interest in who sits on the scarlet throne on their quest to take over heaven."

"I guess we can work with it.  How about you make a starting character though?  Someone less than fifty years old.  "

"Never Mind"

I had a potential player submit a similar character.

"Hey, I'm starting a Scarlet Empire Political Game."

"Oh!  I got this centuries old character who wants to take over heaven."

"Um... That character's backstory could spout a whole separate game.  We aren't really going to be focusing too much on heaven.  And your character is a bit too experienced for the game."

"Well my character has a interest in who sits on the scarlet throne on their quest to take over heaven."

"I guess we can work with it.  How about you make a starting character though?  Someone less than fifty years old.  "

"Never Mind"

i actually would have started off with the starting character. whom would be under thirty years old and likely between nineteen to twenty-six. likely with less starting combat skill, but would develop it over time as appropriate.

i actually would have started off with the starting character. whom would be under thirty years old and likely between nineteen to twenty-six. likely with less starting combat skill, but would develop it over time as appropriate.

We were playing an established RPG setting, so I assumed the characters would be starting and didn't include an age limit in the Interest check.  (50 years is comparatively young in the setting)  

I know better now to include what character creation rules I am using. :)   

We were playing an established RPG setting, so I assumed the characters would be starting and didn't include an age limit in the Interest check.  (50 years is comparatively young in the setting)  

I know better now to include what character creation rules I am using. :)   

50 years is old for a human. it is kindergarten age for an elf.

50 years is old for a human. it is kindergarten age for an elf.

It was Exalted, so Exalts age normally, but could live for thousands of years.  

In the scheme of things, a fifty year old character wouldn't be too far of a stretch for a starting character.  You just exalted late in your mortal life span and now you have an Exalted life span. :)   

It was Exalted, so Exalts age normally, but could live for thousands of years.  

In the scheme of things, a fifty year old character wouldn't be too far of a stretch for a starting character.  You just exalted late in your mortal life span and now you have an Exalted life span. :)   

what if somebody wanted to play a 22-26 year old Exalt whom Exalted as early as 12ish?

Starting characters are defined as "Been Exalted for about a year" regardless of the age they exalted as.  The assumption is that you Exalted within an average mortal lifetime.  One of the example characters was an old man who went out into the wilderness to die.  He exalted and was reinvigorated by his new powers.  

There can be exceptions.  You have to have a reason why your character doesn't have the XP points of an experienced exalt.  For example, once I played a 50 year old character.  He exalted in his late twenties, but basically screwed around for 20 years, not making the most of his power.  His son died and now he was serious about his duties as an Exalt.  

So your scenario really falls under "Ask your ST."  

i would probably assume that from the point said character would have gained transcendance as a child, that they would want to finish up thier education and get it over with so they can enjoy themselves for a while.

Considering Exalting usually requires earning a god's focus, and then his/her favor, I would venture to say Exalting as a minor is essentially impossible. Children are basically physically and mentally incapable of demonstrating the worthiness of Exalting. 

Considering Exalting usually requires earning a god's focus, and then his/her favor, I would venture to say Exalting as a minor is essentially impossible. Children are basically physically and mentally incapable of demonstrating the worthiness of Exalting. 

I had a twelve year old exalt as a Sidereal, but Sidereal Exalts are destined for Exaltation at birth. 

Just a heads up let's try not to derail the topic too much. Let's steer the talk back to pet peeves specifically rather than character tropes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back