• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Rifts

Kylen will prepare to ignite the Light Blade if any of the creatures draw near her as she approaches. "Well perhaps we should see if this man on the tower is willing to fill us in on what is going on once we have driven these things away or slain them outright."

With Quinn's Globe of Daylight spell, the man on the pyramid now knows you are there. You can see him working his hands to cast a spell aimed in your direction. Both Quinn and Zedia can recognize it as a Sense Evil spell. Once he has gotten a read on you with it, he looks more relaxed than before. He motions for you to approach the pyramid.

The demons on the darkness growl and snarl, but they stay hidden.

Zayn watches the demons then back at the man on pyramid. He moves toward the man while checking out the surroundings. He gets relatively close, making sure to not look aggressive or give the wrong impression to the man with the sword. "So you hang out in dark caves full of demons often?"

Kylen will stay at the rear of the group watching down the pyramid in the direction the creatures scampered off toward.

While the group made their moves on the monsters and the man on the pyramid he held back a moment and worked on disconnecting his main canister and installing his back up hip canister. "The light blade, and these special boom gun rounds. I still don't want to have to fire this thing in these tunnels, but better to be prepared."

After standing by Jakob notices the man on the pyramid motion to them and approaches with the rest of the group, keeping an eye on the creatures as they growled and snarled, prepared to attack at a moments notice.

The man on the pyramid waves as he slowly climbs down the stairs. "I would offer you a warm greeting, but the nasties out there already did that for me. I am Rogosh, and I am thankful for your aid. If it were not for the defenses of the pyramid, those beasts surely would have killed me." He finally reaches the ground and nervously looks around. "I am just surprised that no one from town have come down here looking for me."

"We were going to ask you about their whereabouts...the town is deserted." As Zayn isn't quite sure what to think about that. "How long have you been down here?"

Rogosh replies, "I've been down here several hours since I completed the pyramid; I'm not entirely sure how long it's been. Wait. You did say that the town is deserted? That can't be right." Suddenly, all the color fades from his face. "No. It couldn't be that." He looks up at the pyramid. "I cast a protection spell on the town when I finished the pyramid. It was a ward to keep vampires and other supernatural evil monsters away, unless I cast it wrong and made the people go away. This is bad."

Jakob's stared at Rogosh as he spoke, becoming immediately irritated.

"You cast a spell that may have driven people away? So you mean to say that it's not they've retreated for safety, but that they've been made to leave the town for no reason? How does someone do something so irresponsible?"

"I do not think he means the spell made them leave rather that it banished them. I am no user of magic but I have been around it all my life, it can be a fickle thing and a spell cast under duress--such as being attacked by demons---can have unexpected results. It is no different that shooting a comrade in combat, you do not intend to but battle is chaos and unfortunate and unintended things happen. When they do you can stand around laying blame or you can learn from it and if possible seek a solution." Kylen says over her shoulder, still watch the direction the creatures of to.

Rogosh nods emphatically. "That's it exactly! Now that I know that there is a problem, I can start to figure out how to fix it. Since it is such a powerful spell, I'm using the nexus point that I made here to power it. If I can safely undo that, the spell itself will fail, and everyone should come back at that point. There is just the worry about these demons. Once I linked these ley lines together, it seemed to bring them out of the woodwork and they attacked me straight away. If it were not for the defenses I put up on the pyramid, they would have seized control of the nexus and would now be using it for their own evil purposes." He turns to look up at the glowing crystal at the top of the structure. "Now I need to try to unhook the spell from the power source. The problem is, I'm not entirely sure how to do that. I don't have much experience with this. I was kinda experimenting to see what I could come up with."

Quinn scratches at his stubbly chin as he ponders the other mage's words. "Let me get this straight: you made this pyramid, linking together a couple of normally non-connected ley lines, cast a massive spell to protect the city, and in the process of botching it up, you banished the entire population of the place? Are they all just driven away, or magically shunted off into another dimension? If its the first, that sounds like it will be much easier to fix than the second."

OOC
Making a Lore: Magic roll to see if I know anything that might help. EDIT: Nope; my skill level is only a 40%

[dice]23322[/dice]

Last edited by a moderator:
Zayn is obsessed with the need to protect people against the Supernatural and knows a couple of things about warding and hunting supernatural creatures. He takes a moment to think about a solution to the problem.

ooc: Zayn skills is 30% and he does succeeds on his lore magic skill roll. Funny enough works out, as it is one of Zayn insanities.

[dice]23323[/dice]

Zayn knows that from the description of what Rogosh was trying to do, the simplest way to stop the effects of the spell is to destroy the crystal at the top of the pyramid, which would then effectively 'turn off' the pyramid and return the ley line to their normal path. A second and less destructive way would require a long, drawn out ritual to slowly release the spell from its power supply.

The first solution would also have the side benefit of taking the prize that the demons are fighting over away from them for good (or at least until a new crystal is placed in the top of the pyramid). The second would keep the pyramid in control of the nexus point, and a stable nexus is a very useful tool in the hands of a mage. You would just have the demons to contend with during the ritual.

To answer Quinn's question, Rogosh looks uncomfortable. "Until I have had some time to examine what has happened, I won't know the answer to that. Either way, once the spell is no longer active, they should return."

"There are two ways to handle it that I know of...we take down the crystal, and let the Nexus get back to full power and nobody gets to control it or we go through a long ritual, which would grant access and control to the nexus, to a mage able to handle it. The second solution would involving killing a whole lot of demons while the first would solve our problem quicker. Bringing the people back the sooner, the better is what I vote for." As Zayn waits to see what the others are thinking.

Quinn nods agreement. "Right. Just what I was thinking. We need to stop that spell, and the fastest way of doing that is to destroy that crystal. It will eliminate the nexus, and restore the town. On the plus side, wet won't have to fight off hordes of demons to do that. Rogosh, I know you have our a lot of effort into this, but this has to be secondary to the safety of the whole town."

"You guys do that and let me get out of the way. Destroying magical things never goes well in my experience. Say the word and maybe I'll go down and keep our slavering friends down there occupied." Kylen did not turn as she offered her input and did a quick weapons and ammo inventory at the same time.

"Let's get it over with." As Zayn sheathes his weapon and heads to the crystal and waits until everybody is ready before attempting to smash the crystal.

There is remarkably little cover on the ground around the pyramid; it has obviously been cleared away sometime prior to your arrival. The best protection from both the monsters and the pyramid is the tunnel that you came down from.

Despite Quinn's platitudes, Rogosh seems very reluctant to do anything to damage or destroy his precious pyramid. "You have no idea how much work I have put into building this! Even with my stone crafting magic, it has been a labor of months! You can't destroy it!"

A dark look flashes over Quinn's face. "Can't destroy it? You won't let us? Well, what about the two thousand plus people that you have vanished in the process of making this demon infested nexus point? All you have done is put this town on the map of things that are best left alone. In that vein of thought, I say to you, just try and stop us." He looks around the room. "Guys, I say we put as much distance between us and the destruction of that crystal as we can. We are dealing with massive energies that have been wrapped up in a pair of ley lines that are not normally linked together, and the backlash of them snapping back to their original position may be somewhat flashy. Lets get the hell out of here, and take pinky here with us. Just to be safe, I'm going to toss out a few more Globe of Daylight spells to keep us safe from the demons." True to his word, Quinn casts the spell three more times, encircling the team in the radiant light of the orbs. When he's done with that, he looks up at Jakob. "Grab him, and when we get to the opening of the cavern, I'll lay down some hurt on that crystal and see what happens."

A snarling voice calls out from the edge of the light. "Take the mageling if you wish; we don't want him. But if you leave the cavern and let us take the pyramid, we can offer you wealth, mystic power, and spell knowledge in exchange. All you have to do is take your prize and leave here."

"Mr Rogosh, It is a question of life and death, and you should let us, take care of this matter before it gets worse. You are already dealing with forces that you can't understand" He tries to avoid any hostilities. After hearing the ominous voice, he is definitely ready to break the crystal instead of dealing with whatever entities want to get their hands on the pyramid.

ooc: tried to do a trust roll but did fail:

[dice]23338[/dice]

Quinn shudders when he heard the voice from the darkness. "I think not. We will not have any dealings with creatures of darkness like yourselves. Let's move." He does not hurry, but moves carefully and with the protective barrier of light around them. If the demons get too desperate, they may try an attack despite the Globes of Daylight I have running. We must keep on our toes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back