Advice/Help Reviving "dead" RPs?

LukerGamerz

The guy who can't decide to come back or not
Almost a year ago, I started an RP. Things were going pretty well. Our group was doing great at establishing what would be going on in it. Unfortunately, it died, because literally everyone in it left the site and never came back. I haven't tried RPing since

Now, out of nowhere, I've gotten a kick; a desire to try this plot again. However, I'm not exactly sure where to start. Should I act like the old one doesn't exist? Should I try to continue the old one with some new members? Are there any rules against reviving used plots?

I'm actually in a similar situation right now; wanting to revamp an old idea. My first piece of advice would to embrace change. Since there might be new members, resulting in new characters with different personalities than the previous ones you had, the rp is already going to be different this time around. Since that's the case, look at the idea you have and see what improvements can be made or change it all together while keeping the central theme or main plot point you had. Play with multiple musings until you find one you're really passionate about. If you really want to stick to how it previously was, then that's awesome too.

Maybe find a friend to bounce stuff off of. Talking with someone can really help, especially if they have done an rp before themselves, so they'll kinda know what you're going through.

You don't have to start like the old one doesn't exist, maybe state that it IS a revamp of an old idea, but you can totally start at the beginning! I would send a message to the old members with a link to the interest check if they wanted to join again, but then open it up for new members as well since those old users might not be interested in the same idea again.

Reviving old RPs is actually a pretty common thing to do. The common pratice is to keep the elements from the old rp with only slight changes, usually creating a new search thread and new threads but mostly copy-pasting the things from before. It´s what´s commonly known as a "reboot" RP

To expand on what Idea said this is indeed a pretty common practice as a majority of roleplays never really get off the ground or die within the first page. in fact it's far rarer to find a roleplay that doesn't die quickly than it is to find one that has.

Now as to your specific questions

Should I act like the old one doesn't exist?
I'm assuming you are referring to the failed roleplay in which case the answer is yes. As the roleplay never really got off the ground your best bet is just to ignore it and copy and paste the idea into a new thread ( as Idea suggested )

Should I try to continue the old one with some new members?
I'm assuming your referring to reusing the old thread in which case it depends. In a lot of ways it's a little easier to just start fresh but if you never really got around to using the roleplay thread itself ( for instance you just had an interest check up that never went anywhere ) you can re-use a roleplay thread.

Are there any rules against reviving used plots?

Absolutely not. As I said above a vast majority of roleplays fail, most before a single IC post is made. So people are forever re-using and refining their ideas.

The only time revising a plot is not to be recommended is if the plot does not belong to you (i.e. your reviving a thread started by someone else ) and even then it's usually not necessarily against the rules so much as it's considered kind of sketchy if you don't have permission from the original owner of the thread.

Thanks for the answers, everyone. Once my schedule clears up a bit next week, I might get started on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back