• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Revenant Devotion

Shuffling his shoes back on, he followed her out, having the few seconds he needed to calm himself.

"S'pose you'll be following me this time huh?" The metal clanged together as e retrieved them from his pocket, the beeps signaling his car unlocking echoing in the lot. He turned to face her, he set his shades back in it's rightful place- preparing for the blare of lights In the street. Especially now since he knew it had to have gotten dark by now. "What'dya say? Wanna head out somewhere or go to your new home first, stray?" He leaned against the cool metal of his car. "I know a pretty good place near my street. My Dearest Clarice gives me a discount." He winked, an excited smile on his face.

It had been not only last week since he had gone there. He didn't know why, but he wanted to show Winter a place where not even his friend's knew he went. Maybe he just wanted her to trust him. Or maybe it was the fact that he didn't necessarily need to keep up much of an appearance with her, solely for the fact that Winter only seemed to care that she had someplace to stay. Oliver found It kind of refreshing to see someone who didn't care that he might be offended by her.

Following Oliver out, Victoria leaned her hip against his bright yellow car, looking over in his direction as she let him speak. When he called her a stray, she lightly punched his arm, shaking her head as she let out a small laugh. “No way you just called me a stray. How rude.” She said softly before pushing off his car, a faint beep coming from hers as she unlocked it from a far. “Let’s see if this Clarice really knows how to give a discount. I’ll follow you there. Foods on you though.” She added with a wink, walking over to her car and throwing everything inside the back seat, getting into the drivers seat and relishing how comfortable she always felt in her bucket seats.

Roaring, her car came to life, the engine purring and echoing through the entire garage as she looked over at Oliver and motioned her head to the side, telling him to lead the way out. Slowly following behind him, she unlocked the gate to leave out. Waiting for him to lead, she turned on the radio in her car, connecting the bluetooth so she could blare her favorite music— korean pop/rap. Don’t ask how she got into that. Revving her engine, she grinned as she saw Oliver look up at her in the rear view mirror.

He chuckled as he started up his car. Maybe it was just his imagination, but were they getting along now? He smiled to himself as they exited through the gate. Whizzing though the road, he had to admit- his place was pretty far from hers. Not that he minded all that much, a drive never hurt anybody. His Camaro strolled through the streets at an even pace, his arm hanging out of the open window. Unlike Winter, Oliver hadn't wanted to heighten the risk of damaging his car thank you very much. As the colorful lights reflected off of his shades, he was thankful for them. He was sure his eyes would have been stinging otherwise by now.

His car slowed as they reached their destination, curving over to park on the side of the street. There wasn't a parking lot, though Oliver made sure to keep a somewhat wide distance between his and the other few cars parked around. He stepped out, motioning with his arm to the other car that this was the place. It was a pretty dimly lit area. The main light source being a small shack, a few patio string lights decorating the front. A wooden sign hung above the window, reading In big bright white letters, "Clarice's Cradle" with smaller words below reading, "Best Italian food your taste buds will savor" The building was made out of wood and had a slanted roof, faded teal and white striped below the open window of the shop. A couple of wooden stools sat at the front window, while three plastic tables strewn about nearby, a couple already eating at one.

Oliver hooked his shades onto his collar, the comfortable lighting making it easier for his eyes. He held his arms out once he was within distance of Winter, a bright smile on his face. "This the place! My home away from home you could say." He chuckled, stuffing his hands in his pockets. Ollie lead the way with a slow, leisurely stroll. A warm, pleasing scent of hot food making his mouth water. "You're gonna love this place, a guarantee it!"

Victoria did her best to stick behind Oliver. Not that he was going too fast for her or anything but rather the opposite. It wasn't a surprise that she speeds, she's a racer for crying out loud. But even when not on the track, she is always going at least five to ten miles over the posted speed limit. This is also the reason why she was always the one leading the pack. Needless to say, having to follow Ollie was driving her just a little insane. She was able to keep up though, noting just how far they had come from their starting point. She didn't peg Oliver to be someone who lived outside of the city. Considering how flashy he liked to come across and his family background, she for sure thought he would've been like her and been part of the skyline.

Pulling up to the destination, Victoria began to roll very slow down the street, taking in first, how dark the street was, second how there was no parking lot whatsoever, and third, how the building looked a little run down but like it had some of the best food around. She knew better than to judge a book by it's cover, especially when a lot of good Cuban food was served out in the street during los mercado nights. Reading the slogan, she could only hope it was true. Her stomach growled, a sign of her hunger.

Parking her car in front of Olivers, she shut it off and popped off her heart shaped steering wheel, setting it on the dash before she got out of the car, putting her keys and hands in the pockets of her leather jacket, looking at the man beside her. Laughing softly at him, she shook her head, walking up closer to him as she shivered slightly from the cold. "I hope you're correct. I am starving so andale! Let's order comida already." Sticking behind him, she followed behind him, hearing a whistle in the distance. Looking back, she noticed the male from the couple sitting out at the plastic table was now by her car, admiring it and taking pictures. She loved when that happened. It always brought her a sense of pride in her build that took over a year to complete and an insane amount of money she would never reveal. She was too focused to noticed that Oliver had stopped walking, so when she bumped into his back, she blinked and quickly shuffled back. "Lo siento," She said softly but before anything could be said, she heard a voice of an older woman calling out the man before her.

"Oliver!" The voice exclaimed and when Victoria looked over at the woman, she took note of the wide grin she had on her face. "Back again I see? I don't think there will eva be a day you stop comin round here. Can't complain, though. You's good company."

An amused chuckle left Oliver's lips. He ushered Victoria forward, a hand hovering against her lower back. As they reached the window, he couldn't help but beam at the sight of Clarice. He always had the worry at the back of his mind, that one day- this little safe haven she has made would be gone. "Haha I'm sure you've been suffering in the week you ain't seen my pretty face huh?" He leant forward, placing air kisses on either side of the aged woman's cheek. With a pat to Oliver's cheek, she tutted, "You aren't gonna 'ave me inflating your ego anymore Caro boy." He smiled, quickly taking a seat at one of the stools.

Clarice leant forward, her tanned hands holding the weight of her body against the window. She turned her attention to Winter, a sparkle in her eye. " An' I see you ain't came alone this time!" She held a hand over her heart, a theatrical relieved sigh leaving her lips. "Here I was thinkin' you was going spend your days turned int'a a crazy cat man." Oliver gasped, hand held over his chest in offense. "Why I never! Besides, you know I ain't like those felines anyhow. They would hurt my poor baby." He wiped an imaginary tear from his eye.

Chuckling, Clarice knelt down, reappearing with a simple paper one page menu, sliding them on the table in front of them. "I 'ave to say, We ain't seen cars like that often 'round these parts. Is'a real beaut'!" She grinned, holding a hand near her face as if telling a secret and leaning towards Winter, "You can tell me, you from the future aint'cha?" Oliver 'pffft' onto the sideline, a hand nonchalantly over his mouth as he leant his elbow on the window. "A future pain is what she is. " Clarice was quick to poke Oliver's forehead. "You talk like that one more time bout my special customer and you'll find more than tomatoes n cheese in my panzerottis boy." She shook her head, placing a warm palm on Winter's arm. "Amanti." Then a roll of her eyes.

Clarice clapped her hands, gesturing to the menus. "Now! Order anything you want, on the house!" She cupped a hand near her face once more, mimicking a secret, "Unless 'a course, ya be willing to tip." She winked at the both of them before laughing, Oliver following soon after. He took a quick glance at the menu, craving something warm and creamy. "I'll have a creamy gnocchi, please and thank ya dear Clarice." before he pushed his menu forward. "Mhm! And what'll it be for you- right, didn't catch your name Cara."

All Victoria could do was watch the interaction between the aged woman and Oliver occurring before her eyes. The playful banter was something she came to enjoy, a small but oh so genuine smile on her face as the two went back and forth. She had taken note of the heat radiating from the hand Oliver had hovering over her lower back, and it took everything in her power to ignore it, but the shivers that ran down her spine made that rather difficult. She tried her best to ignore it, focusing solely on the conversation that was occurring, giggling to herself her and there as it occurred.

Following after Oliver, Winter also sat down at one of the stools beside him, immediately resting her arms in her lap as she watched Clarice approach her. It was then that Victoria paused, giggling softly once more when the aged woman made a comment about how she assumed Oliver would spend his days alone. Looking at the menu, she kept quiet, feeling rather overwhelmed now at this point with all the action happening. She was doing her best to keep her focus in the present, which wasn't hard when Clarice made a comment about the cars, another smile turning the corners of Victoria's lips upwards. That car truly was her pride and joy. "Gracis," She said softly, all she could manage to say before another laugh from deep in her belly was released at the following statement. Victoria could not keep up with how many times she did but she lightly shoved Oliver when he called her a pain, rolling her eyes playfully before she looked at Clarice.

The warm hand on her arm, Victoria looked straight at Clarice, now taking note of the one page menu sitting before her. Looking it over, she had no clue what she wanted to eat, but the grumble from her belly once more let her know she needed something that was both heavy and comforting. That wouldn't be hard considering the establishment they were in. Looking back up at Clarice, Victoria let out such a rare yet friendly smile. She couldn't really pinpoint it but here, in this little area tucked away from the harsh world she lived in, she felt safe. Free even, to be herself and let her true colors show. The walls were down once more. "Winter. It's a pleasure to meet you, Clarice. Ozzie over here did nothing but brag about this establishment of yours and now I can see why." She told her, taking note of the pride that Clarice took in that statement. Victoria could tell this woman loved Oliver like her own son. Relationships like this were hard to form in our world, so Victoria was grateful it did. She couldn't really pin why there was a hint of longing in her chest. Maybe deep down, Victoria didn't want to keep going with this act, but this is who she was now. There was no escaping it. Winter was the wall protecting Victoria. Victoria could never come back to the forefront. No one would ever want that version of her but everyone, literally everyone, loved Winter.

Biting the inside of her cheek, Victoria bit down the negative thoughts, feeling her eyes glaze over but immediately stopping before anything could fall down her cheeks. The time she spent just now in her head felt like hours, when in reality it was only a matter of seconds. She knew what she wanted to eat now. It was her favorite Italian dish that still hadn't changed to this day, but no one, and she meant no one, could make it like her chef when she was growing up. She missed Lucille so much. "I'll just take the spaghetti and meatballs, basic I know. It's always been my favorite. You don't want to know how much pasta I used to consume as a child." She joked with Clarice, giggling as the aged woman let out a laugh that she could tell came deep from the heart. "Buena, Cara. I'll be sure mines becomes a dish you'll never forget! That way you always come back to see me." She said and all Victoria could do was nod. "I look forward to it."

It warmed Oliver's heart to see the two interact. It might have been a risk showing Winter this place, since he hardly knew her, but now that she was here? A heat crawled up his neck as he smiled down at the window. He didn't regret it.

Though the establishment was small, Clarice disappeared behind a door where Oliver knew a small, but trusty kitchen lay. He got up from the stool, nodding his head to one of the tables. "Come on, let's grab a seat. Wouldn't want your pretty little bones to ache on these wooden thrones. She'll call us when she's ready." As he passed, he watched the man from earlier excitedly show his date the shots he took of Winter's vehicle. He smirked, before taking a seat down at an empty table, resting his arms on it. "Life of a celebrity must be hard huh?" He laughed.

Oliver sighed, running a hand over his hair before stretching. Oddly enough, he felt completely at peace. None of the earlier expectations from the crowds or his friends clawing through his mind. He rested his chin on his hand, observing Winter for a few silent moments. "You know, I had a friend who loved spaghetti and meatballs." He chuckled, his eyes drawn down to where his other hand had started a swirling pattern on the table. "She always use to rave about her chef being the best... even snuck me a Tupperware of her food a few times. " He shrugged. "She was right of course. Better than the food my father left me once he and my siblings were finished anyway." He looked up then, a sad, soft smile on his face. "Y'know, you really remind me of 'er." He laughed, "Though, maybe it's just wishful thinking."

Last edited:
Victoria followed after Oliver, moving over to one of the tables where she also sat down next to him, glancing over at the couple near her car once more as that smile of pride never left her face. That car really was her pride and joy. If anything ever happened to it, she wouldn't know what to do with herself. Looking at Ollie, she grinned sheepishly when he called her a celebrity, shaking her head as she let out a content sigh. "Me? A celebrity? Not at all. People just like the build, not me." She told him softly, resting her arms against the table as she crossed them, listening to the man beside her as he rambled.

Shit. That aching feeling deep in her chest came back, causing her to bite the inside of her cheek as she heard what her once best friend had to say about the younger version of herself. It hurt, not telling him who she really was, but what hurt the most was how fondly he talked about her, as if he wasn't the one that left. Why'd you leave? She wished she could have that question answered one day but she knew that would never happen. That truly was just wishful thinking. She couldn't help the soft yet weak smile that rested on her face, hanging on to every word Oliver said as if her life depended on it. Letting out a soft laugh, she let out a soft sigh again before straightening her back, arms still crossed as she looked over at him.

"Well, for starters, she sounds like she had great taste in cuisine and, not to brag or anything, but if i reminds you of her then I would say she's a total badass," Another soft laugh was released from deep inside. "Me personally though, I would never dare share spaghetti and meatballs with just anybody, so perhaps she really cared about ya." She bit the inside of her cheek again. "What happened to her?" I have to know what you'll say, Ollie. Please. This question, it was the closest Victoria would ever get to the answer she wanted.

A fog of sadness clouded his mind at the mention of Victoria caring about him. "Yeah... she did." If only he could say how much she truly cared. How much he cared about her. How they cared for one another. When they had no one, they had each other. That was all they needed to get by. And what did he do?

The swirling of his finger stopped, just like his heart did when he had to say goodbye. He mumbled, more so to himself, "...What happened?..." What could he possible say to that? How could he answer that? The last he saw of her, was her kneeling, bleeding on the ground... begging for him to be lying. The last he saw of her... he had broken her. He didn't know what happened to her. His father never told him, nor did he dare to ask. He was so afraid of what he might hear. Had she moved on? Forgotten about him? Maybe she made new friends. Friends that wouldn't break her heart like he did. Maybe she found love. A life, far away from this shithole. Maybe she was... dead? Why did he never ask? Why was he such a coward.

"... She's frozen." She's stuck in time. In his mind- she's still that little bleeding girl, crying out to him. He had many dreams, dreams about holding her, comforting her, cursing himself, begging for her to come back. To stay with him. To not leave him alone in the darkness. He didn't know what happened to her, all he knew was that she was frozen in his mind. His voice lowered, almost whispering, "... I just hope she's thriving away from this monster." Whether the monster was this city, the families, crime.... or himself. He couldn't be sure. He just hoped she was happy. Safe.

Oliver felt something warm trail down his cheek. He blinked. Oh shit. Oliver quickly straightened himself, clearing his throat as he wiped at his eyes. "Heh uh... the cold must be getting to me. Dry eyes y'know?" He smiled, trying his damn hardest to shove those feelings down, those memories. He never should have brought Victoria up in the first place. He put his shades on.

Fuck. I could've lived without that answer. I could've lived without knowing and seeing him right now. I want to hold him. Fuck fuck fuck.

Victoria stayed quiet, not really knowing what to say to his responses without giving much away. She knew she had to say something though, but she suddenly lost the ability to find any words. Could she say she was thriving away from this monster? Considering she was back in this shithole, with the person who broke all her walls but not revealing her true identity, it sucked. Even more after she saw the tears trailing down her cheeks. When he hid from her again, she bit the inside of her cheek once more, clearing her throat before she reached out, touching his arm softly, smiling weakly. She couldn't stop herself and she knew he needed just some form of comfort.

"Alrighty you two, foods ready," Clarice called out, which Victoria was so thankful for. Getting up, she told Oliver to stay seated as she walked over to grab the tray, thanking Clarice with a gentle smile. "I promise I'll tip ya before I leave," She told the older woman, winking before she walked back to the table and set the food down, handing Oliver his bowl before she set her plate down, silverware laid out on the napkins in the middle of them. Sitting back down, Victoria was quick to get a spoonful of the noodles, slurping them into her mouth. Humming contently, she moved side to side in a happy manner, something she did back as a child too when she ate good food. Looking up, she caught Oliver watching her and she froze, smiling sheepishly.

"What? The food is literally heaven. Can you blame me for happy dancing?" She said to him, now digging in for a piece of her meatballs. Oliver was right about this place. The food was top notch, maybe even before than what she used to eat from her chef. She would never admit that out loud but she knew one thing-- When all was said and done here and she couldn't be found by her father, the time spent here with Clarice and Ollie was going to be a memory she would always cherish. Hearing her phone ring, she grabbed it out from her pocket and let out a soft smile at Cody's name on the screen. "It's Cody. Give me a sec." She told Oliver before standing up, walking over to her car so she could answer.

"Hey, Cody." She said softly. "Hey. How's everything going?" He asked her in return to which she hummed. "It's not as bad as I thought it would be. I'm eating dinner right now though so can I text you?" "Yeah, that's fine. Just wanted to make sure you were settled in okay." Victoria couldn't help but look back at Oliver, smiling such a bright smile as a few tears trailed down her cheeks. "I'm in good hands, Cody. Promise."

Hanging up, she walked back over to the table after she wiped away the tears. "So how's your food?" She asked him, looking at him with a soft expression.

His eyes lingered on where the phantom heat of Winter's touch lay. Even through the layer of his sleeve, it brought a soft touch of comfort. At the sound of Clarice's voice, Oliver snapped out of his stupor, blinking. He smiled, amused at Winter's display. He ignored the sharp pang in his heart at the sight, taking his first bite of the creamy goodness overflowing his mouth. With a low moan, he stuffed his cheeks full, his body already warming up from the hot food. The amazing gnocchi was nearly already helping him get over his previous bad mood. He supposed good food just had that magical power.

Oliver nodded, waving his hand in dismissal at his companion's phone call. With another forkful of gnocchi, he pondered. Cody huh? Ollie supposed he shouldn't be too surprised, he was the one that brought her after all. Unwillingly, his eyes trailed over to Winter, observing the softness in her. He was surprised they weren't already dating. What with the way Cody had his puppy dog eyes on whenever he looked at her. For some reason, the thought sent a twisting feeling in his chest. He furrowed his brows, confused before turning his attention back on his food. Whatever that feeling was, it wasn't a pleasant one. What was wrong with him? He shook his head, a smile on his face as he scoffed at himself. He needed to get it together.

Swallowing, he smiled as she came back. He licked his lips, eyeing how he was already nearly finished with his bowl. Had he really already eaten that much? he huffed a laugh. The powers of good food indeed. "What can I say? Clarice is the best after all." He tilted his bowl to show her, before picking it up and stuffing whatever was left into his mouth. With his cheeks overstuffed, he held a hand below his chin, a stray gnocchi escaping. He made an overdramatized moan, rolling his eyes. With a swallow, he laughed, popping the fallen gnocchi back into his mouth. "Think I'm gonna have to get myself some pistachio gelato before we leave." he said, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

He turned his attention to Winter. "Everything good on your end? "

Some things really never change. Winter thought to herself as she watched Oliver eat his bowl to his hearts content, quietly giggling at the noises and expressions he made as he did. He was always an appreciator of food but Victoria could never blame him for that. Good food was good food and if her heart wasn't aching every second she spent with the once love of her life, she would also be eating a lot faster. She hadn't touched much of the spaghetti but what she did was so magnificent, every bite made her mouth salivate. Now, nothing was ever going to top Clarice's cooking and it was a shame one day this would no longer exist for her. Another ache occurred at that thought. Combatting it, Victoria ate another spoonful of noodles, looking over at Oliver when he finished his bowl and put his attention on her.

Nodding, she waited for her food to be swallowed before she responded back. "Mhm. This is literally the best spaghetti I've ever had," She told him with a soft smile, swirling another bite of noodles on her fork before lifting it to her mouth and eating it. Watching Oliver as closely as she did, enjoying this food, Victoria never wanted this moment to end. She knew she was being greedy. She knew she was being selfish. It wasn't fair that she knew everything about Oliver but he didn't know who she really was. Maybe one day, the day before she leaves here, she'll tell him. It wouldn't make a difference.

Sighing softly, another weak smile left her face as her focus fell on the food before her. She could never savor a good time, could she? Happiness is for the weak, princessa. Dad was always right. She was the weak one of the family. "Mm when you get gelato, can you get me some?" She asked Oliver, now looking back up at him. "Surprise me with the flavor. I'll eat just about anything if it's sweet. I have a bit of a sweet tooth." A sheepish laugh followed. Some things really never do change.

Oliver winked, sucking his teeth before getting up. "You got it Bardales." As he made his way back to the shack, his eyes caught the previous couple getting ready to go, their giggles resonating though the air. The sound brought a soft smile to his face. Life was so simple for normal folks. They didn't have to be wary that any day, any hour- could be their last. No worries of seeing everyone as a threat. No worries that any second, they'd get caught- thrown into a prison cell because some snitch decided that their safety was above the others. No worries that any close relationship you form, could be your downfall.

He snapped himself out of it, having realized he had already made it to the window, staring blankly at the kind lady before him. He let out a shaky breath, smiling at Clarice's concerned expression, her hand waving in front of his face. "You alright Caro?" He shook his head, leaning forward. "Fine. Tired is all." He tapped his finger against the wood. "Actaully, I'd like to order some dessert. Maybe that'll wake me up." He laughed. Clarice nodded, worry still in her expression, but she knew better than to pry. The last time she did on a particularly bad day, Oliver lashed out and hadn't came back for weeks. Though he could truly never stay away. He remembered how much he apologized after, tipping her probably far too much than he should have on a tiramisu.

Cocking his head, he requested, "Can I have a Pistachio Gelato and hmm lets do a Tiramisu gelato for Racer over there?" Clarice winked, a grin on her face as she patted his hand. "You got it Oliver. I'll be back in a jiff!" Then she once again disappeared behind that swinging door. Oliver sighed, rubbing a hand over his face. One minute away from his present paradise, and he was already stressed. He chuckled to himself. If he wasn't careful, he'll start losing hair. Looking over his shoulder, His gaze landed on Winter, a small smile on his face. He honestly thought she would be such a pain do deal with. Turns out... he quite enjoyed her company. In the short time they've been together anyway. He'll be sad to see her go but... everyone does but family huh?

Before he could delve further into his thoughts, Clarice came right back as she said, holding two cups of shiny gelato, little spoons stuck into them. Smiling, he folded up a 60, quickly grabbing the desserts and handing it to her before she could protest. Chuckling he made his way back to the table, sliding the Tiramisu Gelato to Winter. He sat down with a huff of breath, already digging in. Oliver smiled, satisfied at the sweet, creamy frozen treat melting in his mouth.

While Oliver went to grab their gelato, Victoria finished eating the rest of her spaghetti, pushing the plate aside for now as she looked around, taking note of the couple from earlier and how the boyfriend wrapped his arms around the girl from behind, her infectious giggle making Victoria smile softly to herself. As they walked off, Victoria continued to watch, that aching in her chest coming back as she wished that could be her. When it came to relationships, Victoria was never big on actually having one while she got older. That was probably because the last time she opened up to someone, they broke her. That feeling she felt deep in her soul when Oliver left was something she never wanted to feel again.

Thinking about that time caused a frown to appear that was quickly washed away when Ollie made his way back with some gelato for the both of them. Reaching out, she grabbed it from him happily before taking a spoonful of the frozen treat, moaning softly as it melted in her mouth, the flavor absolutely devine. “Mm this is so good. And it’s tiramisu flavored? Literal perfection.” She told Ollie, continuing to eat the treat in a comfortable silence that fell over him. She couldn’t tell what he was thinking, which bothered her just a little. That’s what happens when you’re not in someone’s life anymore she supposed.

After the gelato was all gone, she set the cup down a top her plate, resting her arms on the table as she folded them and leaned in, looking at Oliver. “Well, this was a great recommendation for some food, I’ll give you that. Clarice over there is a sweetheart. I’m going to miss her when everything is said and done.” She said with a soft sigh, now looking at anything but Oliver. She wished she wasn’t part of this life. She wished to have any ounce of normalcy. “Do you ever wish that we didn’t live in the world we did? And not like the world in general but our world. The lifestyle. It fucking sucks.” She laughed sarcastically at that, sighing before putting her head down on her arms on the table, closing her eyes for a second as she savored the slight cool breeze.

Oliver inwardly smiled, impressed that she figured out the flavor so quickly. He hummed, the clean spoon sitting on his tongue. Right. Once this was over, he wouldn't see Winter anymore. They lived far from each other after all. If it wasn't for this one particular circumstance, he highly doubted he would even see her in passing along the streets. Winter was more Cody's friend than his anyhow. He couldn't help but feel disappointed at that prospect. He's sure Clarice would miss her as well. Maybe her food was good enough that Winter would drive all the way back here just for that? Oliver didn't think so...

He gave her question some thought, not immediately answering. Ollie reached over to grab her empty plates, stacking them with his. He looked down at them, the rings of his middle and index finger brushing against the hard material as he contemplated. We? Was Winter in the life of crime? His eyes looked up at her, a blank expression as he sunk into his own mind. What else could she have meant? If not the lifestyle of crime... His brows gave a barely noticeable furrow. Hardly a twitch. Pushing the bowls to the side, he leaned forward as well, arms crossing on the table. "... All the damn time. This life has been nothing but hell. If I could-... I would take a normal life in a flash. "

He leaned back, taking out his cigarette pack. Turning to the side, he straddled the plastic bench as he cupped his hand over the stick, lighting it- to make sure most of the smoke stayed away from Winter. For some reason, he was getting antsy, his suspicion from the club trickling back. It was one thing to know his family, it was another to say we. Our. For some reason, he could feel his hackles rising, though he tried desperately to tone it down. Why would it be such a big deal if she was in the criminal business anyway? He needed a smoke. Taking a huff, he eyed her from the corner of his eye, elbow leaning on the table. He was itching to ask her, but he feared by doing so- it would only push her away. They'd been making such progress. "... What kind of life would you have wanted by now?"

Victoria wasn't surprised by his response. She knew Oliver and she knew him well. This life that was created for them by their families, it wasn't something they had ever been grateful for. Their siblings though, they raved about it. Her brothers adored her father, valued his opinion and did everything they possibly could to gain his approval in hopes this stupid business would be passed down to them. For Victoria though, this life was nothing but heart wrenching. It gutted and broke her heart multiple times to the point where she no longer could hope. Couldn't dream. What-ifs were childs play. Being a Florentino only had one ending-- A lonely life with a lot of money. No one truly wants a life like that.

Granted, her brothers didn't have to go through this alone. Even though papa was heavy on not trusting people, she knew he trusted his boys. That man was a literal walking contradiction. "You can't trust even tu familia, princessa" he would say, yet look at him, trusting his sons to do the work while he reaped the benefits. For now at least, until he was buried six feet under con mama. Mama. Now her, she was always different. She always had this spark that Victoria loved, a smile that was so bright it was contagious. Life wasn't always so gloom. When Mama was here, she was the light in the dark. She was the rainbow in the storm, the happiness in all the seriousness. She made sure her familia knew that yes, they lived a life of crime, but it was almost like any other occupation. It didn't define them. It was just a job.

Never Papa though. The Florentino name, the mafia, es his vida. He built this life as a means to get more than what Havana could have ever offered him or us. He made a name for himself to get out of the trenches, and that was something his daughter could never hate him for. It was admirable, despite her wishing sometimes he could've done it the right way. Gone to school, got a degree, became a doctor or a lawyer, anything. A normal occupation that they could still benefit from.

God, the ache in her heart would never really go away, huh? No matter how far away she ran. No matter her new persona. Nothing would ever stop it, right? Wrong. There was one thing that did. Unfortunate that even that ended.

She felt her eyes begin to water, but she bit the inside of her cheek in a quick attempt to make it stop. She couldn't cry, not here. Not now. Not ever. She paused though, breathing included, as she heard Oliver ask his question. She didn't know what she was expecting, but that deep of a question wasn't it. Biting her lip, she turned her head so she could face him, opening her eyes. She pondered for a few more seconds, staring at the smoke that was being released from his cigarette, her eyes moving to the puff he released before finally setting on those beautiful eyes of his. Giving him a weak smile, she let out a deep sigh. "That's a loaded question there," She started. More seconds of silence before she continued. "Truthfully? I don't even know. All I do know is that I wouldn't be part of this stupid world. I wouldn't be alone. I would have someone by my side every step of the way. Someone who understands the real me, y'know."

Alone. That's right. People had those they trusted right? People who are wanted by their loved ones' side. People who aren't stuck with their shitty life their family had given to them. Oliver had blood, he knew. His father said that was all he needed. Blood meant everything. But even if he had blood... why didn't he feel... Oliver didn't even have a word for it. Complete? Wanted? Satisfied?... Loved? What Winter said... sounded nice. If only there could be such a thing in their world.

Oliver rubbed a hand over his face, taking another long drag of smoke. He coughed as it went out. "...If only." He shook his head, the plastic smile back on his face. "Well, I think it's 'bout time we start heading out yeah? Show you the place, your room, get'cha all settled and all that." He got up, shaking his shoulders out. "A quick goodbye to Clarice then we should be good to go." Without waiting a beat more, he picked up the plates and made his way to the cradle, a wide grin on his face. Clarice caught sight of them, crossing her arms in feigned petulance. "Leaving so soon?" Oliver laughed, leaning forward to give Clarice's cheeks a goodbye air-kiss. " 'Fraid so mam. 'S gettin late, wouldn't want her majesty over here to get a cold." They laughed, Clarice waving her hand. She called over to Winter, "Come back anytime ya hear me? I's make ya whatever you want- long as you keep bein you huh?" Ollie slid the plates on the counter before turning away.

Oliver waved goodbye over his shoulder, placing the cigarette between his lips. "Just follow me Bardales, My place is a lil bit further away than what I made it seem." He laughed, before making his way to his car. Shutting the door behind him, he honked twice, before setting off. He was more quicker this time, but of course not at quick as Winter had sped off on the way to her place. He chuckled at the memory, pleased at the feeling of the car rumbling around him. He took another puff of his cig, his arm hanging out the window, not willing to snuff it out just yet.

-

They arrived at his apartment complex. Oliver parked his car at one of the open parking spaces in the lot. He took one last inhale of his cancer stick, before getting out to drop it and snuff it out. Ollie stretched his arms over his head with a groan, mumbling to himself. "Home sweet home..." He motioned for Winter to follow him before making his way up.

With the jangling of keys, he unlocked the door, breathing in the gust of familiar air with a big sigh. "Ain't nothin like the smell of home after a long day." He let Winter in before locking the door behind her. He eyed his keys. Hmm... he should probably make another key later. It's not like she asked to be with someone 24/7 after all.

78C8009B-D192-4E46-82BF-7494501B00CD.jpeg

"Make yourself at home Bardales."

She was going to miss Clarice so much once this was all over. Hell, she was going to miss Oliver. God, was she going to miss this goofball. She knew she was supposed to hate him, but that was so hard when he was almost still the same as before. She fell for his personality then, she was going to fall for it again. Just means I need to get out quick. The perfect plan. Get Papa off her tail and then run. That's what she did best. After saying her goodbye's to Clarice, she made a mental note to come and see the woman before she ran. She deserved a proper goodbye then after the amazing hospitality she provided her with. That and she owed the older woman that tip she promised, even if Oliver already gave her one. She would make sure Clarice would know how much the mafia princess appreciated her.

-

Victoria parked her car in the open lot after Oliver did, letting out a deep sigh as she stared at the building before her, making note of how nice it looked on the outside. Welcome home, princessa. This wasn't home. This, Oliver, Cody, it was all temporary. Everything always is. One more sigh before she opened her door, turning off her car and walking out, grabbing her bags from the back seat before she shut the doors and followed Ollie up, entering inside once the door was open. She heard what he said but she made no comment as she took in the living room, amazed at how neat it looked. Granted, she knew Oliver did fantastic at upkeep but it just looked cozy.

Habits die hard. Victoria slipped her sneakers off at the entry way, bending down to grab them as she slowly inched inside. His place was almost the complete opposite aesthetic of hers, and that wasn't surprising. Tori liked to think that Oliver was more of the sun and she was the moon back when they were in each others life. He shined so bright, sometimes it hurt Victoria. He always deserved more. He deserved to be treated like a normal human being. He deserved to be loved. And you don't? No. Tori never deserved that. She would never have that.

"Gracias, Ollie," She whispered quietly, not even catching the old nickname as it rolled off her tongue so easily. She wasn't worried, she could always cover it up. Say it was just like any other nickname she would've given him but the deed was done and she prayed he made no mention of it. "It's so warm in here. So bright and lively." Another inch forward, really taking in her new temporary home. It was so bright it made her miss her own apartment already. "Where's the guest room?"

Following him down the hall, she slowly opened the door after he showed the way, not surprised by how the guest room matched the rest of the apartment. This isn't home. Smiling, she took in the new escape, walking in as she set her bags down on the bed before she sat down on it herself, looking at Oliver who was still by the doorway. "Gracias, Shades. I mean that. I promise I won't be in your hair long. Just for a couple weeks while I straighten some things out then you can have your place back all to yourself," She laughed softly to herself then. "No one likes una nina infiltrating their bachelor pad."

minimal-outdoor.png

Oliver froze at the nickname, the sound of it sounding so familiar coming out of her mouth. He doubted he would have even heard it, if not for his apartment being so quiet. He shut his eyes tight. No. He had to stop it. Other than a clench of his jaw, he breezed past it. He pressed a hand over his heart in feigned pain, "Ouch Bachelor pad? Way to rub it in Bardales." He chuckled. Ozzie couldn't help but feel a twinge of apprehension at her leaving. Maybe she was right. For all he knew, Winter could turn out to be a horrible roommate. She could be messy, unnecessarily loud, steal is shit. Who knows? Of course- judging from her previous actions- she didn't seem the type. Plus from what he could see of her apartment loft- she was quite clean. He supposed he shouldn't have to worry.

The black haired man snapped his fingers, suddenly remembering. "Oh, right- Bardales, wanna see my Beloveds before ya get settled in?" He held up three fingers, smirking.

He made his way to his room, just a little bit away from hers, pushing open the door.

CF695F32-2ECB-42CC-864B-E8932972F58D_1_201_a.jpeg

294F4594-51BB-4D95-A301-7A3B2C64794D.jpeg

In the farthest corner was a sizeable birdcage, where a small sign in pink cursive letters read, 'Vivi'. In it, held a brown and white pigeon, cooing once she caught of Oliver.

1E6F89DB-1FE6-4376-A5E7-7C79A2784224_1_201_a.jpeg

In the other corner, lay a wider cage where another two small sign read, 'Lila' and 'Ophelia'. Two rats lay snuggled up against each other in a cozy little hammock, snoozing away.

C8D761D6-F3A8-460D-AB2C-7ED435DF18E7_1_201_a.jpeg

B592DF6D-8481-49A8-B944-8C105D13C0D6.jpeg

Oliver smiled at the sight of them, going over to sit on the edge of the bed as he waited for Winter to inspect the area. In the meantime, he made sure to take off his shades and rings, not wanting to run the risk of hurting his little beloveds. "Guess you could say a city rat loves their own kind eh?" Ollie chuckled quietly to himself.

Victoria let out a soft laugh at Olivers feigned heart ache over her calling this place a a bachelor pad. She was playing around, enjoying messing around with him here and there while she can. She truly was just trying to enjoy Ollie’s company while she could, because even though she knew she was supposed to hate him, she was enjoying these moments more than she should. Getting up, she nodded as she stood up, following the black haired man to his room to meet his “beloveds”. She had no idea what she was expecting, but his animals of choice were not it. However, this wasn’t surprising for him. It was actually very on character for her once best friend.

Giggling, she walked closer to the crates, smiling as she read the names, acknowledging Vivi first. Her coos were too precious and as Victoria leaned over to look at her more closely, she giggled again as she fluttered her wings and cooed more. “She’s gorgeous, Shades.” She said softly, admiring the pigeon before she moved over to the next crate, smiling at Lila and Ophelia. They looked so peaceful sleeping curled up together. “So you’re essentially the king of rats is what you’re saying.” She said in a teasing manner, turning to look over at Oliver with such a gentle smile before she stood back up, walking closer to him while he sat on the bed. “It’s safe to say I approve of your beloveds. They’re all so cute. One day I’ll hold Lila or Ophelia when they’re not sleeping.”

Letting out a soft yawn, she crossed her arms over her chest as she looked around the room, admiring how it looked. “You have a nice place,” she started, looking back at Oliver while she tapped her fingers against her arms, fidgeting just a little bit. “Thank you for letting me come here. I may never say this again but I genuinely do appreciate it.”

Oliver laughed, setting a palm on Winter's shoulder. "Well then I'll savor that appreciation for all my life." He hummed, looking back over at his pets. "King of rats huh... that has a nice ring to it if you ask me." He pulled his hand away, leaning back and putting weight on his palms. "I actually named all of them after my exes." He counted on his fingers, "Ophelia, she sang like no other. Problem was she sang too much. Got hella annoying. Lila, motorcycle chick, A blonde, she was so freakin hot. Until she inked a shit tattoo on me. Now she's with me forever hah! And Vivi... well. She was a long lost lover. Though I wouldn't really call her a lover... unfortunately. Never got the chance heh.."

Oliver paused for dramatic effect. Before he lightly tussled Winter's short hair, laughing. "I'm just playing. All that shit never happened. Though I did get god awful tattoos from exes before." He hummed, tilting his head. With a sigh, the upper half of his body laid down, his legs left swinging off the bed. "Though the last one was true. Named her after uh... Victoria. Y'know the friend I talked about at Clarice's? Yeah... Vivi.. Victoria. She's such a pretty bird, soft too. Like a cloud. Reminded me of when I used to card my hands through Victoria's hair- it was so unbelievably soft." He chuckled. Suddenly he paused, mumbling to himself, "..Yeesh.. TMI Much Ozzie?..."

He stretched lazily, before sitting back up, facing Winter. "Sorry 'bout the ramble haha!" He rubbed the back of his neck. "I bet you're tired. Probably kept you for too long huh? I guess I get carried away talking to you." Oliver smiled.

Victoria never took her eyes off the mafia affiliated man as he filled the silence by rambling, something she always enjoyed listening to. She spent many a days before just listening, hearing him out, offering a safe space for all his thoughts. Wasn’t that what a good friend does? Did she give too much? Was she a fool for being so open, so attentive when in the end it was all for nothing? Was it even worth loving him back then? If she hadn’t, would it had saved her for the inevitable heart break?

She listened to Oliver’s exciting dating life as she pondered that question, though she couldn’t really say if it would or not. Was the fear of opening back up what held her back all these years from moving on? Is it the reason she could never let herself be in a relationship with any man that showed an ounce of liking her? Is that why she was so adamant about really being alone in the world. Was she really so caught up in the past that without Oliver, life held no meaning? Ridiculous.

She laughed here and there through Oliver’s stories about Ophelia and and Lila. Despite the flaws he pointed out, they sounded like good people. What she wasn’t ready for, however, was learning about Vivi and how she got her name. Victoria. Vivi for short. It was so cute but Victoria never would have truly made the connection if he never mentioned it. She watched him closely, taking note of his body language as she stood in the silence that aching feeling back again. This wasn’t good. It hurt. If this man seemed to be so fond of her when they were younger, then why? Why would he name his pigeon after her? Why would he call her an almost lover? Why was that aching feeling growing even more?

“You seem to be very fond of Victoria. I know you said she was frozen but considering what you just revealed, I guess it’s safe to say you haven’t stopped caring about her,” She said softly, watching him closely. “Why didn’t y’all ever become something more?” Victoria wanted to pick at his brain more than she wanted to sleep, so she sat down on the edge of the bed next to him, curious. “Was it just not in the cards for the two of you? Have you liked anyone since?”

Fond. That was putting it mildly. In the first few years without Victoria, she filled up every space in his mind. Every action. Every thought. None were done without the thought of his childhood friend. Of course, the thoughts of her dwindled over time, but they never truly left. No. They never left, no matter how much Ollie tried pushing them out. Even taking drugs, putting himself in danger to get the adrenaline, to get all his mistakes, his shitty life, his hopeless dreams out of his head. If only for a few hours.

Why didn't they become something more? Oh if only Winter knew. If she knew what he did, Oliver Wass sure she would never put an ounce of trust in him again. She would run straight out that door, screaming about how much of a bastard he was. And he would deserve it. He scratched his jaw, an uncomfortable tenseness overcoming him. "... I uh. I hurt her. To put it mildly... If I had the choice, I never would of done it." He laughed in a self deprecating manner. Oliver sighed, a close-eyed smile aimed her way. "Liked is such a... a broad term dont'cha think?" He chuckled. "I've dated, I've had fun, and yeah- sure I liked them. But well..." He shrugged, a huff escaping him, "I wasn't all that sad to see em go. They never lasted long anyway. Definitely didn't let them stay here after one of my exes nearly killed my beloveds." He furrowed his brows at the memory. Humans came and went, Oliver barely even cared about them. But his girls? They were all he had. All he loved. They loved him unconditionally, they could never leave him. Maybe that thought was a bit messed up but... it gave him comfort.

He cleared his throat, turning his attention back on Winter. "So yeah, no one I felt really attached to." Oliver tilted his head, a small, curious smile on his face. "What about you? Any lovers? Any dramatic stories like mine?" He chuckled. He just now noticed... he didn't really know a thing about Winter. Other than she raced and was friends with Cody. And possibly in the life of crime, though he couldn't be positive at the moment. Well... she did say they should keep their business to themselves. So maybe it was intentional. And there Ollie went, bambling on about himself without a care in the world. He realized he probably was annoying Winter, but she was being for some reason kind about it. His heart stinged a bit at the thought. Or was it his pride? Unbeknownst to Oliver, his hands balled up into fists at his side. Maybe she was just indulging a fool.

I shouldn’t have asked that question. Shit, what do I even say to that question? I can’t talk about him for crying out loud.

Victoria didn’t think that to this day Oliver would regret what he did, but everything he just said and the expression he carried, it all said otherwise. She hates him for leaving, even more for not really sharing why he did it. Granted, as Winter, they had just met. It’s not like she could ask him that question. He obviously avoided talking about it now for whatever reason. Just simply brushing it off by saying he hurt her. That if he had the choice he wouldn’t have done it. But yet he did. Saying he hurt her was an understatement. He broke her. She was never the same after that. Couldn’t let anyone else in as much as she desperately wanted to sometimes. She became skeptical of everyone, knowing that at some point, they would all leave. He didn’t deserve to know just how broken she was.

Letting out a deep sigh, Tori pondered the question now at hand for a second. She debated coming up with a complete lie, to save face as Winter, or be half truthful. Maybe a mix of both? She couldn’t really tell which route was the best to take. There could be so many outcomes that it kind of drove her anxiety up. She gripped the edge of the mattress, leaning forward slightly with her elbows locked straight as she looked over at Olivers beloveds, Vivi staring straight at her before cooing and fluffing out her wings again. It was like the pigeon knew she was named after the street racer sitting away from her. It’s like Vivi could stare deep into her soul with those deep brown tapioca eyes. What do I say, Vivi?

“Mm I most certainly haven’t lived half the life you have,” Victoria said with a soft laugh, tilting her head to look over at Oliver as she stayed slightly leaning forward. “Romance and I don’t get along despite how much I wish we did,” Another soft laugh then. “There’s only ever been once person who really made me consider being with them but similar to you, it never happened. After him, nothing was ever really the same for me. Plus, you can’t forget that I’m a racer. Obviously that draws male attention but most of the time they’re creeps or say they support your lifestyle but really only use you for the street cred they get.” She shrugged then, letting out a dramatic sigh.

“No one sticks around long enough to even be considered more than a fling. Granted, I don’t really let them be more, sabes?” Her smile now seemed so weak. “After him, it was hard to open back up to people. Then again, it’s always hard when you live in this god forsaken world. So to answer your question, no. Nothing as dramatic as yours but I got walls so high, no one can break em. Pero si es vida. That’s just life.”

Oliver nodded, rubbing a Gand over his face with a sigh. Apparently loneliness was common amongst these two. Walls built so high that no one could truly overcome them. He felt a sad comradery with her. With a pat of his thighs, Oliver stood up, stretching his arms over his head. "Well, I think it's about tine I let you get settled in." He chuckled. "Ive kept ya for long enough." He made his way to the bathroom connected to his room, throwing out over his shoulder, "If you need anything don't hesitate to ask 'kay? There's drinks in the fridge and ready made food In one of the kitchen cabinets if you're still hungry." He shut the door behind him.

The tattooed man sighed, running his hands over his face as he leant on the sink. He really didn't know what to make of his new housemate. Winter was a mystery Oliver wasn't sure he would be allowed to figure out. Maybe it was better that way. After all, she was leaving. What would be the point in getting to know her anymore than he had to? That would only lead him to getting hurt. A needless attachment he couldn't afford. His reflection stared back at him, a furrow in his brow, and a troubled look in his blue eyes. With a deep breath, he smiled. He was overthinking. If he didn't think about it too much, everything will be fine! He just couldn't take anything too seriously. With a nod to himself, he started up the shower, already craving the scalding caress of the water washing away his worries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back