• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Representation

Draconus297

The Dragon Lord
This, quite simply, is what happens when you are familiar with a bunch of different genres at once, and ask yourself, "what would happen if they met?"

Each different RPer will represent a different genre of creation- anything from superheroes to mech pilots to RPG protagonists to '80s-style action heroes. Each character will live and act by the tropes common to their genre (for example, is you represent harem protagonists, you'll be rather meek and unassuming, but every female [and some male] characters you bump into will basically be made into your love interests; if you represent '90s-style anti-heroes, you'll be near-constantly angry and brooding, dropping curse words at random moments for little to no reason, and every piece of clothing you wear will be dark, damaged, or both). This means you accept the advantages and weaknesses of your archetype. BE WARNED that things from outside your genre can affect you, provided your genre has no reasonable answer (for example, if you represent wacky children's cartoons, you will have an absurd number of easy ways of escaping most physical harm, by simply pulling ridiculous dodges or instant injury repair, but if someone like the aforementioned ultra-edgy '90s anti-hero drops too many swear words, you will react just like the media watchdogs demand such characters should- basically dropping into a fetal position and instantly stopping all the zany antics that would normally protect you).

I'd like to get a huge RP for this one, 8 or more RPers not counting myself, to represent as many different genres as possible. Interestingly, you do not have to be a straight-out protagonist. You could represent an anime rival, a superhero sidekick, a member of the resident Goldfish Poop Gang (a small group of minor villains destined to lose over and over again), et cetera, provided you don't represent an out-and-out villain regardless of genre.

As long as you justify your existence with linking yourself to a genre of something, I don't really see why not.

I'm not entirely sure what genre that would link to, though.

Hm. I'll have to consider, it is a trope I have encountered in many media but I don't know if I can peg it on a genre.

You could say you represent JRPGs and be a sword of plot advancement. Required secondaries: limited powerset at first, with new ones as the plot demands; stupid, restrictive rules as to who can use it; somehow wind up out of the hero's hand, rendered useless, or otherwise not available for the first encounter with resident wake-up-call bosses.

Recruit your friends!

1/8

Can I be a mobster from those really old-timey cartoons like Steamboat Willie and Popeye?

Long answer: I explained above that you're allowed to represent any genre you can think of, provided you aren't a completely villainous character.

Short answer: Yes, just don't be too evil.

I love this idea! I don't really know what my character will be, probably Sci-Fi cos that's my thing. Although it will have to be a little more specific. Any suggestions?

Hello! I am interested in this as well, since the idea tickles my fancy. So, do you have a spot for a crime obsessed stuck up investigator? (obviously representing detective genre with heavy Sherlock and Poirot influence)

Well . . .

Depends on the sci-fi you want to represent.

Within sci-fi, we have:

Space Opera (Star Wars)

Super Robot (Gurren Lagann)

Realistic Robot

Dystopia (Blade Runner)

Utopia

Societal

AND MANY MORE

We don't have anyone from the detective genre yet, no.

Well then, you have Dreaming to compete with on that front. When the RP begins (if it begins, we're still a member short), you'll basically compete to see who could represent the detective genre better. I'll approve one, and the other will have to fall back on a different genre.

Yeah- have a fallback genre, just in case someone does your first choice better than you do.

@Draconus297 I've narrowed it down to two options: the loveable rogue (think Han Solo) for Space Opera or the ultra macho space marine (Gears of War I suppose) for Sci Fi Army. Well honestly I don't know where the space marine fits. Sci Fi Army isn't even a genre I don't think. Would it just be Sci Fi Action?

Tripodric said:
@Draconus297 I've narrowed it down to two options: the loveable rogue (think Han Solo) for Space Opera or the ultra macho space marine (Gears of War I suppose) for Sci Fi Army. Well honestly I don't know where the space marine fits. Sci Fi Army isn't even a genre I don't think. Would it just be Sci Fi Action?
Military Sci-Fi is a genre.

Ah yes Military Sci Fi sounds better than Sci Fi Army :P Anyway I'd say it's more of a sub genre, maybe even less (a sub sub genre?) Either way, thanks :)

This is going to be interesting.

A mystical, snarky Sword of Plot Advancement, a detective, a cartoon mobster, and a space marine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back