Science Religion and science?

that is incorrect. While some documents that vaguely proposed that were found, they were later proved some forged and others misinterpreted. What the Pope authorized was the arrest and trial of heretics. Said heretics were in fact possibly the real perpetrators, although this much is mostly my own speculation. They could easily have appeared by the conditions I described before, regarding the plague.
Furthermore, your point forgets that only do we not have an exact date for the plague´s containment because the plague doesn´t vanish from one day or even one year to the next, but also that even if it did, the plague would still leave scars for a century in the mentality of people.

True, record keeping was sketchy at best when it comes down to the exact date but I stand by my statement that the Church sanctioned many of these atrocities through fear and coercion and took advantage of the situation.

Before we get derailed too far on the topic your last statement does bring up something that is worth mentioning. I think it was a few times during the dark ages where science and religion worked in a tandem to handle the pandemic because science in its raw practice is morally blind religion was instrumental in containment where as science (albeit limited through trial and error at this point) brought up some methods that may not cure but treat and mitigate the spread.

I guess when things are truly dire you use anything you can to survive and that's human nature.

True, record keeping was sketchy at best when it comes down to the exact date but I stand by my statement that the Church sanctioned many of these atrocities through fear and coercion and took advantage of the situation.

Before we get derailed too far on the topic your last statement does bring up something that is worth mentioning. I think it was a few times during the dark ages where science and religion worked in a tandem to handle the pandemic because science in its raw practice is morally blind religion was instrumental in containment where as science (albeit limited through trial and error at this point) brought up some methods that may not cure but treat and mitigate the spread.

I guess when things are truly dire you use anything you can to survive and that's human nature.
Perhaps. My own beliefs lie on that both religion and science search for the same thing: truth. And not just them. Maths, philosophy, and many other things. As humans we crave truth, in spite of the fact we can´t always handle it. But fact is, neither religion nor science hold up if a fact goes against them. If reality shows any aspect of them wrong, then that aspect has to be discarded. And that´s how I believe they go together. Science and religion complement each other going into the areas or aspects that the other doesn´t, and each giving us their best to show the bright clear picture of reality

Perhaps. My own beliefs lie on that both religion and science search for the same thing: truth. And not just them. Maths, philosophy, and many other things. As humans we crave truth, in spite of the fact we can´t always handle it. But fact is, neither religion nor science hold up if a fact goes against them. If reality shows any aspect of them wrong, then that aspect has to be discarded. And that´s how I believe they go together. Science and religion complement each other going into the areas or aspects that the other doesn´t, and each giving us their best to show the bright clear picture of reality

That's a post we can both agree on.

I ain't religious, but i don't really judge others for their religion, or get mad at them for being religious.

My bro, on the other hand, is a diehard atheist, really only needs a fedora to be complete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back