• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
rapture use this.jpg

November 5th, 1948
Two years after construction was completed on the City of Rapture
Andrew Ryan's Office, Hephaestus

Andrew Ryan, founder of Rapture, sat at his desk in deep contemplation. He had recently brought on a businessman named Frank Fontaine to open up a Fishery down here in Rapture, and so far things seemed to be going well - Fontaine Fisheries was certainly a booming business and Frank himself was both clever and shrewd. Indeed, there was a lot about that Fontaine that Ryan liked very much, and in an effort to get to know the man better he sent an invitation to Frank two days ago to meet with Ryan in his office here for a drink and a chat. Nothing about business this time, not like the first time they spoke. Andrew wanted to get to know the man on a more personal level. The time was drawing near for Frank to arrive, and Ryan was both anxious and eager for this get together. He stood up from his desk and went to the window, keeping himself focused on the fish and marine life that seemed to fly by like birds, to prevent himself from pacing too much.

Just outside the office, Diane - his assistant - was typing away at her typewriter. Out in Hephaestus workers were busy maintaining the machinery throughout the vast plant. On patrol just outside Rapture Central Control (where Ryan's office was located) was one of Ryan's security team members by the name of Amelia Glass (who went by simply 'Amy'), the only female who volunteered to be part of Ryan Security. It was her passion to become a cop on the surface, but due to her gender she was unable to achieve her dream. Down here, at least, she could do something similar, and she felt grateful when both she and Ethan received letters to apply for coming down to Rapture. Both were accepted, and while she worked for security Ethan worked as a doctor in the Medical Pavilion under Dr. Steinmann. She was just grateful to have family down here, it sure felt a lot less lonely.

ZoneyGirl ZoneyGirl

He had always been known as adaptable, capable of transforming himself into other people. He took on many names and many persona. Frank Fontaine was just his newest persona. This Andrew Ryan had caught his attention, he was like a fly and Rapture had been the very tempting honey. There was plenty of work to be done in a place like Rapture. At first he was just smuggling in things from the surface. Goods that the good folk of Rapture couldn't find in their city. Be it something as simple as swiss chocolate or more elaborate and hard to obtain items like cocaine or heroin. Hell, he could even smuggle in people if it was needed. With hard work came a rise in power, steady but quick once they discovered ADAM. Fontaine Futuristic was the rising star in the plasmid game. He never touched the things, he saw what it would do to people, but he still sold them.

He bit at Andrew Ryan's ankles and wanted the man to know he wasn't going to just bow down like the other citizens of Rapture. No, there was too much potential in Rapture. The two had their run ins with each other. Some could end in blood, but more ended in stalemates. And now the man himself wanted to see Frank in his office and he wouldn't deny the invitation. He smirked as he stood on the elevator that would take him to Ryan's office looking over at his right hand man, Reggie. "Ain't this our lucky day, Reg, the man himself wants to see me," the man chuckled and stepped off the elevator as they got their. Greeted by a small security team, his eyes going to the woman on the team. Rare, he didn't take Ryan as the type to put women in a position like that. Not that Frank wouldn't give women a chance, they were capable of things he wasn't. Hell there was an information broker in the city that no one touched. She had dirt on everyone.

Nathaniel stepped up to Frank Fontaine and his man, he didn't see the point in invited men like this to the heart of Rapture. He had his orders and he wasn't going to not do them, he owed Ryan too much. "Any weapons on your person will be put in here and returned after your visit with Mr. Ryan," it was a very much practiced speech as Nathaniel opened up the wooden crate for the men to disarm. "And only you are to meet with Mr. Ryan," he told Frank and looked over at Reggie who stiffened a bit.

Frank laughed and put a hand on Reggie's shoulder. "Its alright, ain't nothing but just us talking business. Sure these fellars wouldn't mind your company. Reggie here is quite the charmer," he told Nathaniel as he disarmed himself, at least of the revolver that he had under his jacket. The knife tucked in his boot would remain there. "Am I free to see the man, I do like to be on time."

Frank was let in and led to Andrew Ryan's office. His secretary getting up to let the man in. Raising a hand to knock on the door. "Mr. Fontaine is here to see you," she let the man into the room and Frank gave him a sly smile as he closed the door behind him. Leaving the two men to talk. It was his first time in Ryan's office and he took his time to look around as he walked across the floor. The heavy steel toed boots echoing against the shiny wood of the office.

"And here I was expecting statutes to yourself in every corner, Andrew," there was a sickly sweet tone to his voice as he looked down at the man. "What gives me the honor?"

Nathaniel was left with Reggie, a large man that seemed to leer more at Amy than pay attention to the other security personal. He cleared his throat. "Can I get you anything?" he asked the man, there was a subtle southern accent to him. He had lost much of it in the short time in Rapture, maybe it was Nathaniel's need to impress Andrew. It got him his position, almost head of security, but that was someone else's job. Reggie shook his head at the offer and took a seat on the desk that greeted people. Pulling out a cigarette as he still looked over at Amy.

Nathaniel walked over to the woman. Leaning against one of the support beams in the open room, his gaze on Reggie. "Don't see why Ryan is meeting with Fontaine. Should just get rid of men like him, doesn't matter about the plasmids he is making. That man is up to no good," at least Nathaniel felt like he was and he always trusted his gut on things. It kept him alive so far, he doubted it would lead him astray now. "Hope this Reggie isn't going to make trouble."

Amy's gaze happened to meet Fontaine's, and she felt herself cringe at bit when they looked at each other for a moment. There was definitely something weird about him, maybe it was because he reminded her so much of those New York mobster movies with the way he spoke and how he presented himself. Seriously, Ryan was interested in this guy? Maybe she was being paranoid, but the Security woman didn't see Fontaine's face as a trustworthy one, looked more like one would see on a criminal's mug shot photo. Luckily she was with Nathaniel today, who was probably the only guy on the security team that didn't give her any flak or teased her based solely on the fact she was a woman who knew how to use a weapon. She really appreciated him for that.

What she didn't appreciate was Reggie, Fontaine's guard, giving her an appraising stare as if she were a piece of meat on display. She glared at him and was about to tell him off when luckily Nathaniel intervened. She sighed in relief and smiled gratefully at Nathaniel, "Thanks for the assist. I was just about to tell that creep that I'm packing bigger heat that he can ever hope to have, if you know what I mean." She chuckled a bit, shaking her head. "I agree with you on that, I don't trust the guy as far as I can throw him. He's something straight out of a mobster movie, so's his bodyguard." She talked in a low voice as she spoke to her fellow security team member, and she glanced at Reggie before rolling her eyes. "He better not cause trouble, or he's gonna be missing one of his family jewels by the time I'm done with him. Hopefully this meeting won't take long."

Meanwhile, Andrew perked up when Diane allowed Frank to enter the office, and his smile was pleasant and calm. "Mr. Fontaine. I'm glad you're here, and on time no less. I'm glad you're here, think of this more as a social visit rather than business." He chuckled, "There's enough of my face around Rapture, just the right amount to make everyone feel assured and safe, that I am always here for them. Would you care for something to drink? I've got scotch, bourbon, whiskey." He gestured for Fontaine to take a seat in front of the desk. "I was hoping we could get to know each other better, on a more...personal nature. Truth be told, you've impressed me since you first arrived. The fisheries, your plasmid business, your own department store, I've seen your name all around my city. Now, I think it's high time we became better acquainted, I hope you agree."

There were a few reasons why Ryan allowed Fontaine to grow so quickly as he did - the fact that the man was attractive and alluring to the founder was at the top of that list. Perhaps it was selfish, dangerous, but Ryan found that he could not resist this man...and wanted him even closer.

Last edited:
Nathaniel chuckled a little bit at Amy, he didn't mind her on the team. She was a hard worker, a good shot, and took her position seriously. He didn't see the issue with her being a woman, but most of the men on the team found issues with her. "Well, sure there is some reason to meeting with the man," at least Nathaniel could hope that Ryan had a good reason to invite the man into the heart of Rapture. If Reggie was smart he wouldn't try to do anything, not with all the security measures around. A couple of turrets and flying security drones. None of them would attack members of the security team, but they were focused on Reggie, he was a new source and until ordered they wouldn't shoot at him.

"If he is smart, he won't do anything. He'll be gunned down before he can get to any of the team," or they would just use plasmids. Useful things he would admit to that. It made his life easier, but it seemed Reggie had them himself. Using Incinerate! to light his cigarette and being so connect to Fontaine he was bound to have more than that in his arsenals. Nathaniel could use several but favored a couple of them. "After all of this I have to look into some unease in Apollo's Square, if you care to join me. Just some ruffians making trouble and we need to take care of it."

A social visit. The words made Fontaine raise an eyebrow and looked over at Ryan. When did either of them wish for a social visit with the other, Ryan stood in the way of his plans. It was good fun to have someone who could go toe to toe with him. "Not sure if everyone agrees that seeing your face brings them peace of mind," Fontaine poked at Ryan's ego, it was obvious that the man would have one. Rapture was a testament to it. He took a seat in the chair. "Whiskey is good for me," he told Ryan.

A smile fell onto his lips, one of pride. "Ain't everyday that someone like you is impressed me some lowly person like me," he just took advantage of Rapture. Even more after the slugs were discovered in his fishery, the worker that found it was now working for Suchong and his projects. Helping Fontaine work on new plasmids, including a couple that wouldn't be released to the people of Rapture. Left private to himself and a chosen few of his people. "I've always known a hard days work Ryan. Been my entire life, ain't the one to get handouts from folk like you."

He leaned back in the chair, tossing an arm over the back of it. He relaxed, for the moment it felt like no threat and he doubted Ryan knew of his smuggling business. His men were good at keeping it hidden. "Sometimes folk feel better to trust people more like them. Not the rich bastard that made a city under the ocean. Don't get me wrong Rapture is impressive, but most of us don't have that kind of money. At least not until you work for it."

"Yeah, I'm sure there is too. Mr. Ryan always has a good reason for everything and does everything with the best intentions." Amy agreed with a nod at Nathaniel, smiling to him in a friendly manner. She glanced back at Reggie, feeling more relieved that security bots and turrets were active and on alert just in case things went South. Luckily, Reggie was Fontaine's dog on a leash so to speak - he wouldn't attack unless Fontaine ordered him to. She looked to Nathaniel, "Yeah, you're right. He's basically on our turf, and thankfully, seems like he knows that." She put a hand on her hip, her other hand holding onto her trusty shotgun that she carried around for security purposes.

She nodded to Nathaniel when he asked her to accompany him later to Apollo Square, "Sure! I got your back. Geez, that's so close to home, Apollo Square is where my brother Ethan and I live." She and her brother had an apartment there, nothing fancy but they weren't living in squalor like others have been living. Namely Pauper's Drop, which was supposed to be a place for temporary housing for the Atlantic Express Workers. Since barely anyone used that line anymore, a lot of people lost their jobs at the line and had been trying to survive or trying to find other work. Amy really felt bad for them. She glanced in worry at Nathaniel, "What kinda trouble are those ruffians making in Apollo Square, Nate?"

In the office, Andrew Ryan chuckled and handed Frank a glass of whiskey before seating himself at his desk, "Oh believe me, more people are reassured by my presence than you think." He drank some of his own whiskey and sat back in his seat, eyeing the other man with interest. Hazel eyes brightened a bit when Frank said he didn't accept handouts from anyone and worked hard for all that he earned. That really rubbed Ryan the right way, "I'm glad to know we're on the same page in that regard, Frank." Using Fontaine's first name now, becoming more casual. His right eye twitched when Frank called him a 'rich bastard,' but he let that slide for the time being. Fontaine had an...interesting way of speaking, rough and callous and yet Ryan found it entrancing in a strange way.

"That's the point of Rapture, as you know." Ryan pointed out, "You work for what you earn, and you are rewarded for it. Many here just need to step up and seize the opportunity, to strive for what they want. Only then can they achieve true success. I will not hold their hand the entire time, human beings are self sufficient creatures. They will figure it out in due time. They need to rely on themselves, not on myself and not on God or anything of the like." No Gods or Kings, only Man. That was the founding principle of Ryan's city under the sea. He took another sip of his bourbon. "But enough about me - I brought you here, Frank, because I want to take our relations to the next level, if you get my meaning." He folded his hands in front of himself on the desk, eyes staring directly into Frank's. "While I appreciate your mind for business, there are...other things I'm interested in about you." His smile was cool, gaze contemplative.

Nathaniel had plenty of trust in Ryan, it was Fontaine he was worried about. Hard to say what the man was scheming and a chance to meet with the leader of Rapture, it could lead to trouble. Regardless of the security precautions in Ryan's office, it still worried Nathaniel. He would just have to trust that the man could handle himself if something were to happen. They wouldn't be going far until Fontaine and his lackey were far from the area. At least Nathaniel wouldn't, even if Sullivan were to give orders. He doubted the man would do that right now, he was as focused on the situation as they were. Sullivan had stationed himself just outside of Ryan's office.

His jaw tightened as Amy mentioned the trouble of was close to home. He knew Ethan, the boy was hardly the fighter that his sister was. "Just need to make sure you two watch your backs. I don't think its anything bad, sounds like it might just be people getting a bit of cabin fever," not everyone adjusted well to life under the sea. They missed natural sunlight, rain and breathing in fresh air. It could make some people go a little mad. "Just hope it isn't people splicing too much, last thing we need in that area," but ADAM changed everything and people abused it. It made them go mad and grow unstable and violent. Splicers were taken care of once they found out about them. "From what I've been told a few home break ins and left one person dead, think on the other side of Apollo Square from where you live," he scratched his jawline. "If you need, my apartment has a spare bedroom. You two can stay there," his position in the security team did give him a bit more money. He could afford to stay in some of the nicer places Rapture offered. "I'll take my couch, I crash out on it more than my bed as it is."

Frank took a sip of the whiskey, he doubted the man would poison him. He hadn't done anything to earn that treatment, at least not yet. He shook his head a bit, opting not to feed Ryan's ego. He knew plenty of people that would say the contrary to seeing Ryan's face everywhere. It was how he asserted his authority, that Rapture was his and he was always watching the citizens. People who didn't live up to certain guidelines would be taken care of.

"Well, am I being celebrated for my actions then?" Frank asked, the smugness not being hidden. Once again Ryan changed the subject and it caught his attention. Maybe in all the wrong ways, the chance to find weakness in Ryan and exploit it. The chance to give himself more power in Rapture, after all he worked hard, he deserved more. He chugged the whiskey down and set the glass down on Ryan's desk. "I mean there is a lot that can mean Andrew. Plenty of ways our relationship can grow," he studied Ryan for a moment and stood from his seat. Adjust his shirt to keep a clean appearance. "What else intrigues you about me?"

He wanted to hear it from Ryan himself.

"Cabin fever on a city-wide scale would be pretty bad, Nate." Amy murmured in worry, sighing a bit at the splicing comment. "Yeah, people have been overdoing it on the splicing these days, it's like an addiction now. I wish it could be limited but at the same time, limiting anything isn't what Ryan wants. It's not the Rapture way." It was a complicated walk, on one hand Rapture was founded on principles that Amy believed in strongly...on the other hand, it was because of those same principles that people run amok and took advantage of too much down here. Damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of scenario, she supposed. "Shit...now people are dying." She looked down for a moment, then back at Nathaniel when he offered to take herself and Ethan in for a while. She smiled to him softly, "I feel bad for imposing, but on the other hand there are safety in numbers. As long as you're good with it, Nate, I appreciate that. Thank you."

Andrew also stood up, walking around the desk towards Frank, "You know...a small handful of people know my real name. Andrei Rianofski. It's Russian. I fled from that country many years ago to escape the growing rise of Communism there, arrived in America and Anglicized my name. Worked hard to perfect my accent so that I sound more American, though sometimes you can hear my true accent slip out under certain circumstances." He stood in front of Frank now and stared up at the taller man, his hands coming up to fix the tie Frank wore in a gesture of familiarity, an almost close, intimate gesture. "When we're alone like this, Frank...I will allow you to call me Andrei. I've become...very interested in you, beyond just business. You're a smart man, I'm sure you know where I'm trying to go with this. I find myself intrigued by your mind...and your body." He met the man's gaze, his own rather heated. "With how much closer we can become, certain favors could be granted to you. I could even allow you to expand your business exploits further if you so wanted. Frank...are you free tonight by any chance?" His eyes glinted. "I should like to see you on a more private and personal nature, at my home." Perhaps this was foolish, selfish, wrong...but the Great Man just couldn't resist this clever hoodlum any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back