Other Random question of the day

Yes. I was involved in a few musical fandoms, and there was a lot of imposter syndrome, I felt like I was only tolerated. I’m glad I’m out

Oh plenty of times. The Tumblr fans of NinjaGo have some... strong opinions. I only interact with IRL friends about it now.

There are probably others, but that one was very, very traumatic lol

Because leather offers at least some natural protection against things like falls and scrapes, so if your machine sends you out three feet in the air over concrete, maybe you won’t be as scraped up. Moreover, it’s a natural aurmor, and it’s going to be a common material if you plunk yourself down into any society that has access to domestic cows/any other animal that leather can be made out of.

Also it’s badass.

Claude Frollo cause of generational Jewish trauma, Every Nazi Ever because of generational Jewish trauma, Tzar Nicolas II and really any other tzar (even though they are often portrayed as the good guys) because of... you guessed it, generational Jewish trauma. Phillip Wttabane from the owl house because of the homophobia and the misogyny.

i know i've been naming the Big Bads, because even though ive faced bullies and bigots and assholes on smaller scales, i know that one dick in middle school cant do alot, and the bullying for petty nonsence is a nothing on the grand scheme of things, but it's those who preach these ideologys of hate from their positions of power that truly scare me, because how long until words become deeds? oh right, they already have, at least on the homophobia front in the us.

Random question of the day:

Have you ever been in a fandom and after a while of being in said fandom, have you ever felt you don't belong there?
I've been in the Undertale fandom for forever now, ever since I was in elementary school. At first, I've made some amazing friends and generally that game and its community is something I hold dear to my heart. I've tried joining a few roleplay groups and communities surrounded by Undertale, but the people there just kinda feel different. I actually miss the days of when Undertale was at its peak, despite what anyone may say about it. The community just feels less welcoming now for some reason.

No answers yesterday. What a shame.

What would happen if the hero and villain of your favorite movie/TV show/video game switched places?

Jean Valjean, a police officer, pursues Javert, a man who has worked his way up from the bastard son of prisoners born in jail to the mayor of a town, only to mysteriously disappear after having been revealed to have a criminal past. javert, before he disappeared, had agreed to adopt a young woman's child. the child, cosette, is currently in valjean's custody, as he tries to get her to her papa. cue a fuckton of revolutionary and anti monarchist madness that includes a successful overturning of the french monarchy at the hands of about nine gay french boys. cosette falls in love, javert and valjean wind up together co-parenting their kid, before eventually starting a relationship together.

is what i would say if javert was the bad guy. but the heroes of les miserables are those who love, and fight for those they love. and the villain is the monarchy and capitalism. so like- i dunno how to do a role reversal for that.

Who's one fictional mother / father you're glad isn't yours?
Let's see... I could list plenty of examples, but the mom from My Sister's Keeper is just horrifying in her devotion to Kate. Completely ignores her son when it's discovered that he's incompatible to donate blood, tissue, etc. to Kate - causing him to start acting out - and conceives Anna, Kate's sister, for the sole purpose of using her as a living bag of donor parts instead. She makes me mad and I've never even read the book or watched the movie for myself.

Should more video games that normally don't have full voice acting use this feature?
After being indifferent about it for a while, I've started finding myself in agreement with the sentiments that Pokemon games could finally benefit from some voice acting. Obviously not necessary for Generations I-V, and even Gens VI-VII are okay without it. But now that the core games have made the leap to being a fully 3D, open world on a home console, the lack of voice acting somehow feels particularly noticeable especially compared to its fellow JRPG giants like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. It would definitely help give these games some (imo) much-needed soul again. Honestly, even the Mystery Dungeon sub-series could start to benefit from some form of voice acting.

Why do people feel the need to bully other people knowing that bullying is hurtful?

replying to this late because i saw this probably close to the day it was posted, but then i couldn't stop thinking about it because this topic is very interesting to me. i'm going to drive myself mad if i don't throw in my two cents here. sorry if this should really go in your second thread, but i wasn't entirely sure if this counted as a loaded topic or not?

i worked for 2.5 years as an aide in (technically two) elementary schools for their behavioral class (up until the limitations of working in a public school made me mega depressed/borderline gave me c-ptsd or something lmao shit was Rough). i guess in that sense i may be talking specifically about children 10 and under, but i feel like the kids i worked with here are your classical bulliesTM, you could maybe argue that kids are a good representation of our raw, unregulated emotional state... or something like that. anyway

in my experience, i've found a few things. for one, bullying was rarely a one-way street. a lot of "bullying" i saw stemmed from misunderstandings/retaliation against perceived slights. for example, we had one kid that was absolutely autistic, so he'd pretty blatantly stim, including verbal stims. he could be very loud, and this would annoy the shit out of the other kids. one particular that i'm thinking of had adhd and a shitload of trauma, so when he was trying to settle in and do his work, he'd have a lot of trouble concentrating on a good day, and some punkass kid that would be making loudass noises and shout would drive him nuts. he tried to employ the ways of communicating that we had suggested to him, much the same way that an adult would express grievances, but with an autistic kid who was still in speech learning how to make small talk/empathize with people who don't want him to just infodump about his special interest all the time, he wouldn't respond in a way that the adhd-trauma kid would ever even know that he was listening (and maybe he Was just being ignored).

you can argue that adhd-trauma kid shouting at this other kid and threatening to hurt him (then later: hurt himself) was a means of trying to gain control where he felt like we as teachers were failing (whoops), but i feel like saying that and that alone is an oversimplification/comes across as overly antagonistic. it was a conflict of needs: one kid was understimulated, while the other kid was overstimulated. this happened multiple times a week or day.

there's a lot of examples that i wish i could give where i was put in situations where i wasn't sure which student i should've been addressing at any given point... but either because i'm tired or i've blocked a lot of it out of my memory lmfao, i can't give any more atm

what i will say is that oftentimes when i pointed out to these kids that what they were doing was bullying, they legitimately had no idea, and were often upset to hear this/have it be explained to them. (and maybe with the exception of one kid) they were Not just acting obtuse to get themselves out of trouble. i think social bullying, especially at that age, is just something that's hard to recognize when you're doing it. there aren't as many examples of it in media, so they think if they aren't dunking someone's head in a toilet or tripping someone, it's not bullying. imo people almost never bully someone else consciously. i would say 99.9% of people believe at any given moment that what they are doing is either good or morally neutral. i don't believe people set out to do bad things or hurt people.

you can also talk about in-group out-grouping and neurochemicals and such. oxytocin (iirc) is the one that gets released when you're bonding with someone. very feel-good brain stuff. i'm trying to recall stuff that was taught to me like 6+ years ago, but i know that naturally the more you bond & feel part of a group, the more that you will have the impulse to polarize other groups. it gives you the same good feeling to exclude people, as if you're strengthening your bond with your in-people every time you Other others. (incidentally, this is probably a large reason why people get trapped in cults, white supremacist groups etc, but that's probably another topic i'm not getting into atm)

tl;dr
conflict of needs, inability to recognize bullying, feeling more included by excluding others, and sure, power and control when you feel powerless, other shit that i'm forgetting because it's past my bedtime

to actually answer today's question:
not that i can remember, which honestly is something that is kind of a bummer to me. if hypothetically i did ever trespass somewhere or multiple places, it would've just been somewhere outdoors. buildings seem too much like a place that you could get caught. in this imagined scenario, i think i would hypothetically have found an abandoned grill, a chair or couch or two, a pitiful little rowboat (sans oars), and lots of bones that would theoretically have been fun to take home and paint. hypothetically.

idk if this counts as trespassing, but i did once traverse into some under-the-bridge crawl-through holes, and there was a delightful snail graffiti that looked like it could've come out of a tim burton film

hear me out on this one
Counting Flowers on the Wall by the Muppets. because it tells such a genuinely tragic story, you can see poor Beaker pine for a muppet who uses him on the regular, and be driven to utter madness and self-destruction by his loneliness.

What's the best choreographed music video you've seen (In your opinion)?

To be completely honest, I don't watch enough music videos to say that I have one I regard as my personal best as far as choreography goes. Most of my favorite music videos are instead videos that follow the story being told in the song. I like storytelling!

What's the best choreographed music video you've seen (In your opinion)?

clearly something by Michael Jackson. guy just had a different energy on stage, which translated to his music videos as well. plus, you gotta think about it in the context of "at-the-time". sure, a lot of the "effects" or whatever may be laughable by today's standards, but back then.. nobody had ever seen anything like it.

No answers to yesterday's question. What a shame.

Are there any movies/TV shows/video games with writing so clever that it goes over your head every time you watch/play them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back