Other Random question of the day

Not sure if I asked this one before, but...

Random question of the day:

If you could own any fictional vehicle, which one would you choose?
Rotom Bike~

Rotom_Bike_Adventures.png

Not sure if I asked this one before, but...

Random question of the day:

If you could own any fictional vehicle, which one would you choose?

If it counts as a vehicle, I would like to ride Air Trecks, from Air Gear (they are motorized rollerblades).

Otherwise, the Nimbus (Goku's flying cloud in DB and DBZ).

Is the education system truly terribly flawed?

That's way too broad a question - which education system would already be a major variable here, but then any education system has so many moving parts, and the metric is nothing is not subjective and often chosen arbitrarily. Of course it's not a perfect system, but whether it is 'terribly' flawed is really not a question that can be properly answered.

That said, it's not like nothing can be said about the education system. Fundamentally, it hinges on a major problem, similar to that of health:
1. An absolutely crucial service is being provided, one which should pay quite well if value was what determine the "price" of labor.
2. The service is not directly profitable, nor do we desire that a pay wall is put on the service (as in, we don't want to exclude poor people from having a good education).
3. Government subsidies have proven to backfire, as seen with the case of universities in the American education system, where government forcing banks to give out more student loans has increased their interest rates and assistance to pay for those has allowed universities to keep increasing prices due to the miniscule price elasticity the government has (for those who don't know, the greater your price elasticity the more you change the quantity you buy depending on price. A low price elasticity lets firms change prices considerably before it really affects how much you buy).
4.There is a moral hazard problem when it comes to state provision. The cases above where banks and colleges (though probably other levels of education as well, the colleges are just the ones I know for sure) take advantage of the government's inflexibility to increase the costs of education are one such moral hazard, but educators themselves have such a hazard as well. The bureaucracies of the public sector make it considerably more difficult to deal with problems at an adequate pace, or in certain cases even at all. Unions further compound this difficulty, at times making it impossible to reach an efficient solution as it would mean a loss for the specific group they are protecting.
5. The private sector isn't much better in this regard. While the quality of education in general is likely to improve (though how many could get such an education is reduced), it can also have the pitfall of becoming a service attracting students not based on their education standards but on amenities the school has, for instance.

Long story short, the two main issues are:
A) How can we provide a good education for as many people as possible, and where will the money to pay the teachers, maintain the schools, providing material etc... come from?
B) How can we provide adequate supervision to ensure schools are promoting good education, and that educators are providing that good education?

Of course, this is just the economic side of things. I didn't even touch on people exploiting education to indoctrinate, or the fact the structure of how we educate being severely outdated and much of it being based on learning to work at an assembly line, or the problem with the student body's mindset (specifically present-bias) combined with the expanding problems of psychological issues in "first world countries". These are all problems kind of inherent to something like education, and unfortunately it's the kind of topic that tends to be taken as a "by the way" rather than a primary focus.

news like "world's current events" no, never
news that cover events in a specific field yes, I appear from time to time

Apparently I was once on the background of the news. They were filming around the university campus while we were paying MTG and one could hear a friend saying "Where is your god now?!"

I've been in the local paper for extracurricular activities a few times as a teenager (martial arts school atteneded a tournament, 4-H did a community project, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back