Other Random question of the day

Writing, roleplaying and making up a world of even story, singing, making up songs and parodied, games, RPing with others, reading, studying military euipment, pranking friends, making up personas for characters for entertainment, trying to learn a new language but sucking, the normal stuff.
Me too except for the studying and pranking.

Not sure if I asked this one already, but...

Random question of the day:

How has Peter Griffin from Family Guy not been given the electric chair yet after all the crimes he's committed over the years?

I mean, you could say the same for (insert buffoon dad cliché here). There are a dozen shows tha this could apply to. The reason they don't have a realistic end, is because the series is not in and of itself realistic. And if they kill off the main protagonist, where would the show go from there?

From what I've seen, no. A lot of fighting games that I've experienced are actually quite the opposite of easy. For example, Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe. In that game, there's a big need for reflexes and button mashing to get through fights, especially as you climb the tier of randomly selected enemies if you don't choose story mode or custom chosen opponents. It feels ridiculous, but that's just what I feel. Others may feel different since I'm not very experienced with fighting games.

Last edited:
Random question of the day:

Is it true that the most important aspect about a fighting game is to be easy to pick up and play?
It already is since digital game buying. And play is already widely known by most that play video games. The person in question would need to be unknown to that type of game and control scheme to have a bad time without handholding. Between 1990 - the conversions of the early 2000s it'd be true. But at this point we have multiple generations that could be a fan of things like mortal Kombat and even dead or alive. Even a new generation at this point grows into or learns how to play the game, and there are cases of people playing a game when younger on say a console, and years later after nolonger owning one, and rebuy a console, they still knew how to play a game and use the console. Also easy..? I mean... I wouldn't consider memorizing a sequence of 15 - 28 buttons to do a basic super move is easy, then have like 50 other moves, and then not mentioning character or even power-related moves, and secret moves, nor locked moves requiring certain environments and/or timing.

What should matter is the quality. As long as it's playable, and fun, maybe a good or okay story, that should be piority. Unless they inventing up an entirely new control scheme never heard or seen before, short but detailed tutorials where you learn WHILE playing rather than reading the majority of the time, is all that is required nowadays.

in ANY game, one of the most important aspects for me is character creation. It's one of the reasons I really got into Soul Calibur. I hate being the same character that anyone else can be.

It's an important aspect for sure but depends for who. People can look for different things in a game, and sometimes being easy is not one of them.
Being easy to pick up and play can attract more people who are not familiar with the genre so it can be important for sales.

Is it true that the most important aspect about a fighting game is to be easy to pick up and play?

Nooope. Accessibility is an aspect of appeal that widens your potential audience, but when it comes to retention it doesn't mean much. In the first place, there's a lot of games which use fighting, and while I presume you mean something Mortal Kombat (as those are the ones I most commonly hear being called 'fighting games') even just among those there is a great amount of variety in games and players.

Gun to my head though, I would suggest an emphasis on strategy and skill is at the very least far more important to such a game, and that is very much counter to being "easy to pick up and play". I find such a dilema exists in a lot of games in fact. They need to be accessible for new players, but a game will quickly get frustrating if your "improvement" in the game is constantly tore at by a system that renders your efforts meaningless, such as excessive RNG or steep balancing issues.

Edit: On a more personal level though, in games I always look for the creative aspect. I like games with great character creation, and I love TCGs because I can customize my own decks and try my own strategy and playstyle. As long as the very attempt to make my own thing doesn't make the game unplayable, I can be made really happy just with going through customization options and trying them out.

I'm not a game designer, but I'd guess that depends on what your goals are audience-wise. If you're trying to draw in as many people as possible, then yes. The average player is casual, so the game should be not necessarily easy, but intuitive enough that a casual player can be fairly competent, lest they get frustrated and quit. If you're targeting your game specifically at the hardcore players, I'd say balance and depth are far more important. Those players are looking for something to master, not for a way to turn off their brains and relax after a long day. The main issue with a more esoteric game is that while your fanbase will be dedicated, it'll also be fairly small, meaning less profits.

Imo, not just fighting games but for most games going for a 'easy to pick up, hard to master' is usually the best approach and is why things like DOTA and League do so well. Despite how players like to talk them up, they're super easy to actually play with little skill or knowledge beforehand, but the sheer number of champions, the builds, optimizing play [last hitting, experience range] etc make it have a very steep learning curve. The difference between a Bronze player and a Challenger is immense, after all, but both players can enjoy the game and get sucked into it. Most competitive FPS fall into this and why they have a wide appeal, such as COD and Battlefield. Easy to understand, easy to play, hard to really master so you can throw hundreds of hours at it and feel like you're improving.

Don't get me wrong, I love super complex games that make your eyes faze out as you try to figure out what is going on [I do like my Paradox games, after all], but if you want to appeal to a large audience? Easy to pick up, with enough depth to make mastering a challenge is the optimal way.

Nope. I had a bit of a Muppet phase for a few weeks when I was like...10? Maybe less? But even then I doubt I would have gone to a live show of it.

Negative.

However if by attend you mean become part of the show, and by become part of the show you mean turn it into a chaotic Vietnam flashback reenactment, then yes. Yes I would. It'd be the penultimate meme.

First, how would I know how expensive you think they are?

Second, is this really a question for a personalized answer? It’s a pretty factual answer, just look up the prices.

Seats get more expensive the closer they are to the stage, and there are also rows on the balconies. So prices may vay depending on that.

This is kind of akin to asking "Why couldn't we raise up a shallowly sunk battleship with a hole the size of your fist in it?"

Now this is the exaggerated form of that. At least the version I can see. Even inventor-superpowers don't fix steel beams. Let's look at the reasons why that'd fail horribly for them by default.
Now first things first, enact Captain obvious vision. There is a bizarrely sized hole on the fore starboard of the ship's hull, or basically a foot or two away from the end of the how for where the right side of the hole ends, our view being if we walked to it from the right side, and extends for at least a forearm's length further left. Now there is also actually a second much larger hole from the stern towards the tip of where the amidships section begins. While larger, the full height is smaller than that on the bow. The length of it I think is about between 3 - 4 feet. These being the overall sizes, not the actual openings themselves besides the bow breach.

So considering the size of the... Well it clearly isn't a proper ship meant to be out in far distances so the boat smaller than even a bloody tug is nuked. Pretty much every possible compartment is fucked. Even if the only hole was on the bow, and the size of your pinky nail, the hull isn't thicker than basically a large grouping of hair strands. And the size of ship implies there's only one-two rooms in it. So it mostly is a single open compartment. The holes are also extending to the upper waterline as well. If in the sea, especially a storm rocking it about, there's more water raising for at least a hard second above that. These holes in of themselves have wiped out the seaworthiness. The only way that can be patched up without dedicated parts would be if they somehow reworked a wood supply in not only fitting the hole and filling in any gaps regardless of size, but if it was put in the exact same place. You can't just make a strap, attach some wood into it, and wrap it around the ship. Even if you did, now you have a hole for that strap water can get through or snap, and a piece of wood not perfectly in place and probably bouncing about exposing the boat again. The pumps wouldn't be able to throw out more water than it took on. The lower the boat went or leaned, combined with the more water it took on, the likelier it gets slower, more stressed, and the ability for the water to get onto the freeboard/top deck/surface deck/yada yada redundant jargon, guaranteeing that it'll go down harder than a disco party in a redneck's backyard. Or, if you're more into dark humor,
Harder than a speed race between RMS Titanic and yo mama to ramming the seafloor.

The next problem would be even if you did block up the hole perfectly and it couldn't leak, the holes you have have yeeted the structural integrity harder than Germany rolling over Poland. It's weaker, and there's most likely bits of metal bent about screwing up the rest of it. The more you try manipulating it, the worse it will become. As water and some velocity granted force rises against it, it will bend and buckle further. On a larger ship, if it gets a hole that gets to that disaster level, it could puncture or act as a nuisance against interior components including it's own bulkhead/wall and separator. But not as bad as if there was a fire weakening it, but still a close contender for the damage Olympics. So plugging in the gaps could unintentionally agitate the Hull's status, but regardless the integrity is so fubar for this charter boat, but even in perfect conditioning, when it is actually in action, the damage could naturally expand by pressure on any point, and would grow dramatically worse every millisecond as the potential for cracks, fractures, etc to grow and accumulate until a new leak springs. By the time there is even drops of water akin to a single drop running down the wall but if it was much larger scale and more rapid, there isn't much time to plug it. As this leak grows to a full on faucet setting at some point, the damage gets worse than that as now there's a hole taking in water at violent levels, and providing more force upon the weakened hull points. If there are multiple leaks of this type close in relation, and violently spewing, combined with a very thin and now weakened hull, it can eventually grow into a monster hole. But this requires several criteria being met. If such a breach transpired, then the only resolution would be if the entire compartment was flooded before it got even worse, or at least up to the hole. This all based on if the vessel stopped moving by that point, but considering what this one is I don't think it really matters.

And probably not a factor applicable, but if the vessel listed fore down, but didn't spread through the rest by magic, if the propellors were still in water and operational, it could force the vessel down. So even if the crew were wizards, if it was low enough and trying to move forwards, it'd effectively sink anyway. But luckily the vessel is tiny, so it'd flood quickly. The engine would get bogged and die prior, and the crew could agitatedly swim back to the island. It isn't a large vessel like say a tanker, so even if a new hole was made and quickly devoured by the ocean like a obese man and a seventy whoppers, with the crew near that localized bit while it flooded, they wouldn't get sucked in. The propellers even if active are not large enough and taking in water to suck up anyone close whatsoever and even then you'd have to be practically hugging it for that to work out, and even if it was a massive ship, the crew were if they weren't still in it would be quite fine as it still wouldn't suck em up. They'd have to be close to a newly made breach in hull or a massive window in an unflooded compartment, the water rushing in, and the compartment not to either flood faster than they get to the hole or flood up nearly instantly.

Despite any action they could do, it wouldn't work. And if they had magic to temporarily warp the boat back to Port again, any "repair" would actually be the scrapping of the boat then replacing it with a new one. Unlike a bigger thicker vessel even if only barely, you just can't plug that hole in then go about fixing it afterwards. By how thin it is with the walls making up the hull, it might as well be paper. If they got shipwrecked on a larger boat or even one with a slightly thicker hull, then overall integrity would be weak on the starboard side, but there's actually the potential to plug it up to begin with. A mere hole expanding would take more time and need far more to make it worse. At worse with such a hole if it's a small leak or a variety of small faucet-like rapid leaks, the pump bilge alone could probably keep it afloat long enough for someone to figure out how to plug it in temporarily, or for them to be better off before it gets worse. But holes of that size, it'd ruin any vessel that doesn't the size of at least a Corvette. At least for say, the bow hole, a vessel that size is longer, taller, and I believe negligibly but still thicker than their boat. Still practically paper but if it was thicker paper. Even if the bow was flooded, the rest is untouched. But it'd be destroyed by the secondary breach, but there would be time to try fixing it. If so, then the water could eventually be removed from there. Also, when brought back to port the aft/stern breach could certainly be fixed, and at worst the bow sawn off and reconstructed. The fore breach would be smaller in comparison but still massive, and being isolated to the bow if we kept location placement right despite length and height enlargement, albeit not reaching amidships in my comparison, it could be resolved. Then their only problem is food and drinkable water, otherwise it'd be akin to those North Korean rowboats that randomly appeared. So it's better just reallocating the resources to something of higher priority.

But stuck on an island, both vessels for comparison might be useless anyway depending upon damages caused by beaching. A fubar keel and misshapen hull could ruin it all by itself. But I didn't factor that in. But purely IC, there is no way their boat could be saved. Too large of holes in comparison to ship size, too many of holes, and too lacking in resources. Even if plugged up, it wouldn't survive on the water. The only solution would be if you gave them the powers of spawning ice, and they froze the hull shut. But that makes the vessel heavier, can ruin shape reducing top speed, and weakens the hull and any connected components including piping. If inside them, the pipes burst with jutting out sections of ice easily visible. The ice can also melt, and adding onto it brings more ice into the hull and makes it heavier. There is no fixing it unless you rebuilt it out of pykrete. Then you got a good hard 15 - 90 days to get off the island and back home before it all melts by itself. Thus again to end, there's no possible way to fix a vessel so small with such large breaches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back