Race Ideas / Advice.

DignifiedRain

Building Character Since 1993
I am writing a Universal Roleplay book. RPNation Link here! Read this to understand more about the project.

So, I feel obligated to draft races that are unconventional to the usual Fantasy settings.

For anyone who has played ANY fantasy world they know the usual races consist of Human, elf, half-elf, gnome, halfling, dwarf and so on. I have made it a point to stray away from conventional races to provide a truly unique experience...

So, I have drafted a few ideas on unique races. Here are some minor snips from the book already.

Human - We know what those are.

Warden - Wardens are an ancient race of golems created by the ancestors of mankind. These stoic figures are genderless beings with smooth stone like features. Crafted from the soils of earth and fired in the kilns of an ancient dwarven mine. Wardens come in varying shapes and sizes and no two look the same.

Wardens are independent creatures capable of self replication and regeneration.

Chitterlings - These Inhabitants of the great elder tree El'drüean where an accidental craft by the lord of nature Asthenal. It is said that during creation of the Treants, Asthenal accidentally made the creatures inside those trees sentient. These creatures----------- I need a Story Writer.

They are Squirrel people 'aight! Roughly have the size of man with human like faces and furry bodies!

I need many more races to complete a unique experience and I am running short of ideas..

Help a brother out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if all else fails, you could do what I do and populate your world with a bunch of Monster Girls. Lamias, Slime Girls, Kemonomimis, stuff like that. That's always a solution ( :) )

LegoLad659 said:
Well, if all else fails, you could do what I do and populate your world with a bunch of Monster Girls. Lamias, Slime Girls, Kemonomimis, stuff like that. That's always a solution ( :) )
Well, that is more or less the idea with Chitterlings (Kemonomimis), but with a bit more animal to them. People love playing part animal.

MeKonster said:
Well, that is more or less the idea with Chitterlings (Kemonomimis), but with a bit more animal to them. People love playing part animal.
Ah, I see. Somehow I missed that part xD

Well, there are a lot of Monster people to choose from, still.

LegoLad659 said:
Ah, I see. Somehow I missed that part xD
Well, there are a lot of Monster people to choose from, still.
No doubt, I agree whole heartily. I am still attempting to stray from usual course of action. Currently I am working on a race of outsiders (Possibly more dragon-esk?) Slight feature changes from the humans, minor scales- natural armors and what not. Claws? tails? xD

Added another race! Woot!

Arhellis are a proud and noble race with deep blood ties to dragons!

Have you thought about pulling ideas from more obscure mythologies, or using more obscure creatures from popular mythologies for inspiration? People seem to draw pretty exclusively from Celtic, British, and Japanese mythologies, it seems.

For example, Native American, Hindu, Norse, Aboriginal, African, and Slavic mythologies have some unique creatures and gods, like the Wendigo, Bunyip or Kikimora. Or how about the Yuki-onna or the Barghest from Japanese and English mythology?

Alternatively, you could have anthropromorphic creatures based on less popular animals. Like bats. Giant bat people would be cool.

here is a small list I pulled with a bit of research:

Vampires

Dragons

Hydras

Skeletons

Zombies

Goblins

Orcs

Trolls

Wraiths

Giants

Cyclops

Sea monsters

Giant animals

Kraken

Ghosts

Mermaid

Werewolf

Sphinxes

Phoenix

Shapeshifter

Headless horseman

Poltergheist

Centaur

Gorgon

Ghoul

Pegasus

Hippocampus

Cerberus

Chimera

Bigfoot

Basilisk

Golem

Griffin

Imp

Manticore

Minotaur

Ogre

Nemean lion

Stayr

Sea-goat

Shade

Siren

Thunderbird

Unicorn

Will-o-whisp

Scylla

Lamia

Witch

Harpy charybdis

Dryad

Elemental

Fire salamander

Mantid

Mammothman

Ethereal

Anthro/furry

Titan

Gnomes

Mare

Hidden ones

Nokken

Draugen/adamastor

Grendel- “seed of cain”

Nian

Guilin

Bifang

Pixiu

Baize

Constructs

Spirits

I'd be glad to be of service, that is if you'd have me. I'm no expert at race-creation, world building, lore writing, and whatnot, but I do believe I can grant you enough assistance to this project of yours.

What about making a race that enjoys racing withnother races since they believe that racing eith other races is a way to get along with the races?

Sorry for that stuff. Anyways, you should add a race that is spread wide across the universe and enjoys to hang around with other races.

[QUOTE="Saccharine Cyanide]..

[/QUOTE]
I have put a lot of thought into that. The Iron Druid Chronicles was such an eye opener to the fantastic world of lore and beasts!! If you haven't read or listened to the audiobook, (Best audio book I personally have ever listened to) Do so!

Also, I have decided that chitterlings will be a combined group of anthropomorphic animal/humans- Otters, Squirrels, Rabbits, Foxes, Snakes, Bats ext. I will leave it to the Game master to decide the limit of what is and isn't a chitterling.

Reinhardt said:
Indeed, It does seem as though you could be of some assistance. I have reviewed your signature.. I'm always willing to consider people for long term help or even have people join the chalice team. I will be busy for the next hour or so- but if you have time after that. I would love to talk more. Feel free to PM me as well.

I developed a race of magical, psychic, winged cobras once. Sort of my interpratation of the naga. I'm not going to tell you too much else except that they live in an underground jungle, have a very alien yet sophisticated culture, and have use magic in leu of hands to bend their environment to their advantage.

Now you get to make up the rest ( :P ).

So, I had this idea that's very, very very loosely inspired by the wendigo. Maybe a little bit of No-Face from Spirited Away.

There's this race of creatures called the Abivi who wear deer skulls and very ragged clothing. They're possibly ethereal, although their masks are solid. Although they look intimidating, and are a bit shy, they're friendly. They're also incredibly gifted healers capable of bringing the wounded back from the brink of death. They tend to hang around places where the injured are found, like hospitals or battlefields. They tend not to form tight alliances with each other since the more they spread out, the more people they can aid. They may have a bad reputation in some places simply because of their association with the injured and dying.

Their healing abilities would make them ideal for a group cleric, perhaps?

[QUOTE="Saccharine Cyanide]...

[/QUOTE]
I've saved this as a possible option. Very cool monster idea, as an actual playable race that could be very hard to balance. I do like this idea a lot though.

I've saved this as a possible option. Very cool monster idea' date=' as an actual playable race that could be very hard to balance. I do like this idea a lot though.[/quote']
Feel free to play around with it. And of course, anyone who's interested in using it can tweak it further.

As an aside, I really like the idea of having an original race database. : 3

I've tried this before. Researching obscure mythology usually helps me out a lot. I also like to mix traits from different species. Like... combine a gryphon with a humanoid creature or something. You get something sort of like an angel in a way, but very animalistic still... come to think of it, that sounds like a harpy. Shit xD .

You could also take ideas from media. I think Guild Wars created two interesting races, the Asura and Sylvari, for instance. Asura are more or less molerat people while Sylvari are straight up trees that were designed in the image of man. There's also Charr, though they're somewhat reminiscent of the Khajiit, just less sneaky and more brutish.

Anyways, that's not really helping. But I'd say the best thing to do is pull from mythology and do a mix-and-match game. Combine things that sound like they could make an interesting species, slap a name on it and work on the lore as you go. And, in order to give them their own cultures and customs, you can pull inspiration from media and our world itself, which in particular, is pretty normal practice.

If you do decide on elves, you could go for less normal characteristics they've been given. You could make them more ugly rather than their beautiful depiction in most fiction. Or, they could be short. DnD, Bosmer and DA elves are short, but most other media has them as being fairly tall thanks to Tolkien. You could give them traits of other creatures, too. Maybe they have glowing eyes and appear almost ghostly, for instance. Maybe they have black blood, which gives them black veins.

There's always the "fallen civilization" route you could do, similar to the Falmer. They could be twisted visages of what they once were. This is also slightly explored with the Sin'dorei in World of Warcraft, as a mana-addicted elf will turn into a Wretched and look hideous. You could just take these known races and give them an overhaul, honestly. I've made dwarves into cave dwellers and river/lake inhabitants(as in they lived along a river or had lake-towns), for instance, and more serious than their popular jovial image. They were also fantastic merchants and rogues, rather than warriors. Not like that's a major difference, but there you go.

Is this for something in particular? A major RP or a book? I could lend some help. I almost have a fetish for world-building, lmao.

Raneth said:
"I am writing a Universal Roleplay book. RPNation Link here! Read this to understand more about the project."

Thanks for the feedback. I have been doing mostly this already, and it's great if you are looking for monsters to fill your book quickly. As for GW I have already taken and reforged one of the races, Sylvari are awesome and they are a great replacement for elves.

Excuse the short reply I am still waking up~

[QUOTE="Saccharine Cyanide]...

[/QUOTE]
Cyanide- As for credit for the suggestion of character. Would you like your real name or Username. If you choose to use your real name. PM me!

~Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back