Advice/Help Quests and Adventures

ItsVelvet

Your Princess
I wish to know how to run a one-on-one adventure, especially if I give my friend the ability to run multiple characters in a "party" while I run NPCs and Bad Guys.

Figuring out a balance between controlling the story and player agency. They're willing to play and all, but don't put in a lot of iniative.

The initiative thing isn’t player agency I would say. If a player has to be forced to take initiative something’s not working right, probably in the vein of lack of interest (not necessarily for the RP as a whole, more often for something specific within it). There are also cases where players go in expecting the GM to do everything for them, but I personally like to give people the benefit of the doubt first.

Setting that aside, he matter of player agency versus GM input, is that as a rule of thumb it works best if the GM responds. The GM takes the initiative to create the setting and NPCs, they define what’s out there, but the decision of what to pursue or explore ought to be with the player(s) themselves.

I have to agree that llayer agency isn't the problem, rather should be an expected hurdle you need to learn to curve. As the GM of the scenario you are responsible for everything with the exception of the PCs. Therefore if you want them to engage you have to make a stoey that they want to engage in. So either

A- they are the wrong players for this kind of story

OR

B- you're struggling to keep their interest because you want to tell your story while expecting them to want to be a part of it when that's unfortunately not how it works

In these kind of games they take the most planning compared to 1x1 RPs because they're are just far too many variables to consider. The only constants you can rely on is that your PCs will always foil your plans and that will always be more interested in what they are doing than what you have cooked up for them to do.

My suggestion, learn to write them in to corners that punish the or reward them for taking paths that may deviate away from your plot. Im not saying to force them to your story, but rather make as though it has proven to serve their interests to see where you want to take them rather than some random brawl at a tavern you never planned. And even when that happens you have to find a way to curve the scenario back on track and learn what your PCs like in order to incite their interests.

Something I like to do is learn my PCs character backstories ans we've that into the narrative so I can make them emotionally invested in whatever I have waiting for them. Is it manipulative? 100% but this is writing. The idea is to manipulate the facts to make an i treating narrative. The only difference is that now you're doing it to players only because they are an extension of the characters. Whay choice do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back