• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Project Ouroboros

shadowz1995

Amoeba of Wisdom
Roleplay Type(s)
TLDR: A sci-fi story about the remnants of life traveling back in time to warn present day humans about a universe-ending alien race that successfully consumed all known life.

Log #638
July 22nd, 3567

03:42/ 3:42 A.M.

There is an old saying on Earth that has been proven to be universally correct.

"The past advises the future."

It means that through observation of history, regardless of scale, one can gleam information for a better future. Whether that information is from the victories or mistakes of our predecessors doesn't matter. They are lessons all the same.

Maybe that's the reason people were always so desperate to leave their mark on history. To not fade into the oblivion of forgotten memory. To leave some trace that they were here... That they lived.

Honestly, I don't know how to process that information. All the enhancements in the universe couldn't help me arrive to any conclusion. At least, not for somebody in my situation.

Where to even start?

It's been decades since the fight for survival began. Before I was ever born. The logs and records of the time described it as... sudden. Mankind had been wrestling with itself over resources, land, or pride since the beginning of our existence. We were a very intelligent race but very tribalistic by nature.

Our technology only ever rapidly advanced when we were trying to find increasingly creative ways to kill ourselves. Barbaric, I know, but it ended up helping us in ways we never would have been able to foresee. No matter how "enlightened" we could have been.

While humanity was squabbling amongst itself over petty disputes, we received the first bit of indisputable proof of extra-terrestrial life ever recorded. A panicked distress signal begging us for sanctuary. We did not understand what they were asking for at first but it was clear they meant us no harm.

Quite the opposite.

Despite their physical features being completely alien to us, we knew what we were looking at instinctually.

Horror. Terror. Desperation. We knew those emotions well.

The translation devices of today interpreted their words at the time as, "Please, evacuate your civilians. The Void comes. It has consumed everything. None of the galactic races are left capable of fighting. The council is gone. Our superweapons did nothing to slow their advance. Run. Please. They cannot be stopped."

I wonder how they felt once they realized their tattered fleet had made a navigation error in their panic and jumped to a backwater planet of a primitive civilization. Sentient but so primitive that they had not yet achieved interstellar travel.

I would say that I can't even imagine their despair but I think I understand far better than I ever cared to. Here at the end.

They were called Jultans (Juhl-tens) and they were the first alien species we would ever call friend.

Things unfolded quickly after that. The Jultans gave us the technology to build universal translators and taught us how to use them. Though they did so with melancholy. We found out later that to them, it was over. Life was going to be exterminated and there was nothing they could do.

It was the Earth equivalent of a man, who only had weeks to live, teaching a young boy he didn't know, how to fish. Except in this case, the boy in this story only had weeks to live as well.

More extra-terrestrial species came flooding to the Sol system in the coming months. Each of them, wildly different from one another. Each of them, the vestiges of what remained of their civilizations. Each of them bearing the same message.

Humanity took to the intergalactic refugees with a greed for knowledge that was comparable to "The Void" they spoke of. They rallied together under a common banner, put their best minds to work, and began to make their preparations.

To our credit, we learned and adapted at frightening speed. Never before had mankind had a singular goal to work towards as a species.

In the end, it didn't matter though.

The Void, The Scourge, Death, The Great Consumers, Demons, The Grey Ones...

Every species we took in had a different name for them. But it all meant the same thing. The end of life as we knew it. Silver, formless monsters made up of organic metals that took the forms of the strongest beings they had consumed. As far as we understand them, they have no need to do this. They do not have digestive systems. They do not reproduce. They do not communicate. They just destroy, consume, and assimilate. There's no rhyme or reason for it that we know of and we haven't had the luxury to look into it any deeper.

We lost everything in 35 years. Just 3.5 decades. A third of a Human's natural lifespan. Things detoriated rapidly once they entered our solar system. We fought hard alongside what remained our non-native kin and to our credit, Humanity lasted longer than anyone could have imagined. 35 years was longer than the struggle of all the other species put together.

Our innate stubbornness, will to survive, and multiple millenias worth of genetic memory dedicated to killing is what helped us survive as long as we did.

That said, we quickly realized we weren't going to win this fight. Our goal changed from victory, to survival, to desperation in just 10 years from initial contact with the Scourge. We threw everything into finding any kind of solution to survive. All options were on the table. Cryo, Project Genesis, wormhole travel, black holes, white holes, core bunkers, teleportation, everything. You name it and someone was given the resources to try.

Oddly, what we think worked was Project: Ouroboros. Inter-dimensional tearing. Temporal displacement. Time travel.

It was purely theoretical and, quite frankly, utterly fucking insane. But someone, somewhere, somehow made a tear in the fabric of space-time. Allegedly going back to a time where humanity would be as receptive as they were here when Xenos first arrived but with more than a few centuries worth of prep time now.

I say "think" because we don't know for sure. We had no way of testing it for certain. All we did was put the Grandfather Paradox to rest for good. For whatever that is worth.

Because I'm still here. Nothings changed. Everyone is still dead.

I don't know if it worked as intended. I don't know if they went to the right place and time to change anything. I don't know if they made it.

I just don't know anything anymore.

Will they listen? Will they even care? Do the same laws of physics apply? Is red even red there?

If everything worked out perfectly.... on the infinitesimally minor chance it actually worked.

I'm sorry.

Hopefully, our Xenokin that made the journey can explain things properly to you. Humans of another time.

I hope they can help you see. We were desperate. We had lost all hope. We were just trying to do anything to buy ourselves another day. We did things that...

I did things that are unspeakable.

The "People" we sent through from our side.

Our people

Are no longer things we can call Human.

They are the result of putting survival above what makes us... "Us".

I don't know why I'm writing this. Even if it all worked out. No one will know. No one will see this. No one will remember us.

No one will remember me.

I very well may be the last living human in the universe. At least, in this one.

But if somehow, someone sees this log.

Millions of years later.

I'm a scientist, not a soldier or a drone. I have a knife in my hand and I can hear them tearing at the bulkhead doors. It won't stop them. Nothing ever does.

I just want it to be known that I didn't go quietly. Archaic weapon or not, I fought to my last breath.

As the last Human record of existence.

Humanity fought to the end.

- Unknown

If this has grabbed your attention and interests you, listen up.

The setting for this RP will take place in our "world" hundreds of years in the future. You will be playing as soldiers in the war against the Not-Flood-Aliens, a few hours after they made first contact with Earth. You will not be fighting alone at any point as this is a fight for survival. While you can make squads or teams of players, I will be adding Named NPCs that I will control to your teams to bulk up the numbers and assure that everyone has someone to interact with.

This is a roleplay about WAR and SURVIVAL. No matter the fantastical nature of the setting, these are dark and brutal subjects to touch on. We will observe all of the rules for RPN but it also means that if you have a problem with darker themes or have trauma/triggers revolving around these kinds of conflicts, it would be in your best interest to skip over this one. I won't be offended lol. I'm not here to bother anyone.

As previously mentioned, this won't be a light-hearted RP. Death is real. It can happen to anyone, at any moment and your characters are no exception. Do not join this rp with the expectation that everyone is going to make it to the end. They won't. Your character's actions/inactions will have consequences and character death will be an expected result here. I will do my best to make sure everyone has a fun experience but I have to be fair. If someone dies because they did something dumb and didn't think it through, that will apply to everyone.

There will also be situations that I will toss at your characters and it may just boil down to chance. Like a DnD dice roll, if you've ever played that. I try to avoid these random chance events but they could happen.

What I'm trying to say is, if you step into this RP, do so knowing that there is a good chance your character can die. You can make a new one after and I'll help you all the way as I did before. But if I decide your character would not have survived the event they just went through, it will be final. I've thought about it for a long time, deliberated, and reached a conclusion. If that doesn't sound fair, this is not the RP for you. I find things to be fun when there is risk involved. If you don't, that's okay. But don't join the roleplay expecting different. You will only set yourself up to get pissed off. I ain't trying to do that.

I'm a big believer in two things. Creative freedom and reason. This is a sci-fi RP that is bound to the laws of physics of our world. We love pseudo-science around here. What I mean by this is that I want you to make cool characters unique to you. The only thing you need to do is make it make sense.

I will provide some existing background lore, characters, alien races, abilities, and technologies. YOU can make up your own as long as it doesn't conflict with the established canon. You wanna make your own alien race? Go for it. Crazy weapons? I'm all for it. But you need to provide the details for all of your creativity. I also expect players to be reasonable and balance your character properly. If you wanna shoot a gun that can shoot the concentrated power of the sun, fine. But you're going to have to convince me on how something like that could even exist, how it works, how the hell did YOUR character get a hold of such power, etc. Have fun but don't be ridiculous.

I'm open to any brainstorming you wanna do and I will help you get as close to your ideal as the lore allows. I can't promise we will get exactly what you want. But I can promise we should be able to get close or at least find a suitable alternative.

1. All RPN rules will be followed to the letter.

2. Posting activity is loose but a once a week minimum is preferred. This can change depending on overall activity of the players but I lead a busy life. I understand that shit happens but just like I wouldn't fault you if I suddenly went afk for 3 weeks and you dropped the RP, you cannot fault me for moving on without you if you go MIA without talking to me at all.

3. In-character posts will follow a quality over quantity rule. I don't expect you to write novels every post, but what you do write should be crystal clear. This means that anyone, not just me, should be able to tell exactly the who, what, when, where and why of any actions your character takes.

4. Zero tolerance policy for meta gaming or any kind of power gaming. Meta gaming is using out-of-character information to affect In-character choices. Power gaming is making actions with your character as if they were guaranteed to happen. You can never know how anything will play out. You can attempt to do things and I will decide what effect those actions had, if any.

5. Zero tolerance policy for "Character Bleeding". This means I will not tolerate anyone letting in-character actions affect how they feel or interact with another player out-of-character and vice versa. If I see this happen, you are out.

6. There is a level of maturity required for this roleplay. I expect all of my players to be emotionally and mentally mature enough to handle their own issues. Everyone is to maintain mutual respect with one another. Even if you don't like someone, you will show them respect at all times. I don't like to and have never enjoyed playing mediator. Handle your personal disputes maturely and with grace.

7. My word is final. I rarely ever have to exercise that right for anything and I'm very easy to reason with. However, should something ever pop up, I will be the one to make any final decisions. Those decisions are non-negotiable.

I'm actually completely done with the character sheets as well and I'm wrapping up on the lore section of the rp. After that, just needs some formatting and grammar checking and it'll be good to go. Gonna have to find creature's on pintrest that fit the bill

Edit: oh and alien races. I forgot to write those guys in. So not as close but still close

Alright, so I got sick as a dog and still had to prepare for holidays so I apologize for that for the delay. Will get this shit up in full by end of today. But literally everything is ready except the xeno races

Alright to hell with it. I still have some more races to add but I'm getting the CS and everything I have up for everyone so that you can start thinking about what you wanna do. It should be enough to make a perfectly acceptable character sheet.

Let it be known, you  can create your own alien species. Completely custom to your desires and I will add it to the lore as long as it fits within it. If there's any details you wanna hash out, let me know here and I'll work with you on getting as close to what you want as we can.

FireMaiden FireMaiden Togy Togy Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian (I think you mentioned wanting a tag?) Maj Maj (Just so you don't yell at me later)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back