• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Primacy [Closed]

Lore
Here
Other
Here
Varick nodded, confirming what he’d already said – that they’d try it a few more times. However, when she mentioned ‘next stop’, he shook his head. “No.” Next stop would be the town, and that wasn’t ideal. He didn’t need to be harassed by people getting the wrong idea of what was going on. “We can figure out exactly when, later.”

When it suited.

Likely another evening resting on the road. They wouldn’t be disturbed by much, then, and could practice in peace. It’d be good enough exercise to wear Tamsin out, so she might even sleep better. Varick had to push the thought out of his own head, though, as the thought of practicing pinning her at night stirred other thoughts.

“But let’s finish practicing this.” Best not to get ahead of things, and he would allow them to continue, switching hands, until it felt like Tamsin was getting it more often than not, not needing to adjust as much. Only then would he go back to Marzipan and get them back on the road to the next town.

~***~

“Varick” gave Drazhan a dull look at his statement. “Things have changed since then,” he said drily, as if such a thing should be common knowledge. And of course, to Kirsikka, it was – although, not by much. No, forty years ago, this area was fairly hellish, and that was only as old as Drazhan was.

A glimmer of understanding crossed her sleep-deprived mind. Something was wrong. ‘If I had my damn mirror….’ But no, she shattered her damn mirror and now something was amiss. She’d have to try other ways to help.

“What were you out seeking back then?” Kirsikka asked, crossing her arms over her knees, resting her head on them. Well, she was tired. Conversation was at least helping to stay awake, but she could hardly hold herself upright.

“Varick”, of course, didn’t know. Just as he didn’t know that Drazhan was already tipped off. So, he evaded, “I’ve hunted so many things, the details start to blur together.”

Tamsin nodded, accepting the answer of they’ll find out later when would be the appropriate time. She could figure out some of what Varick was thinking. A Primal and a young woman traveling alone was odd enough, but to be evidently seen sparring together?

It may just send an angry mob after Varick.

She easily got back into practicing, this time with her opposite hand, and then switching back and forth until she felt confident and Varick felt satisfied with her progress. Eventually, they continued back on the road until they reached the next town around sunset.

Tamsin wouldn’t admit to Varick how happy she was to finally reach a town where she could sleep in a bed and maybe even get a bath. She wanted to prove she could keep up with him in his journey to Ritherhithe, dammit!

But even she couldn’t mask the grumbling of her stomach in hunger for an actual meal. “I saw the sign for an inn right down this way,” she motioned, dismounting her horse to lead her by her reins.

~~~

It was clear this “Varick” was a sham. Given where they were and how this Varick acted, Drazhan had a few ideas of what he really was. None of them good.

All of them deadly.

Drazhan casted a glance over at Kirsikka, who hardly seemed like she was awake. While the woman did need some sleep after her last few sleepless nights, something he’ll want to talk to her about later, right now was not the time to be falling asleep.

He would indeed have to do his hired job and protect her.

“How can you already forgotten that we were hunting a rakshasa?” Drazhan asked, looking baffled. “Sure, it may have happened fifty years ago, but it was one of our greatest hunts together. Took that bastard out together, but not before it nearly took your head.” He inched closer to his sword as he spoke, and grasped the handle.

But he didn’t draw it out. Not yet. Drazhan waited for the perfect moment.

The town they came to was a bit smaller than the last one, but Varick wasn’t surprised by that. For some reason, small towns surrounded large ones, rather than be large themselves. The scents of life were present enough, food clearly making Tamsin’s stomach growl. Not that he couldn’t go for something fresh and warm himself.

He hummed as Tamsin motioned to the inn, and chose to dismount as well, bowing his head a bit to help shadow his eyes as they approached the stablehand. He’d let Tamsin handle it, in the hopes it would go easier for them that way.

He just turned to dig into Marzipan’s packs for his coin pouch so he could pay for a room. Assuming they had rooms for him.

The stable woman approached with a smile, not noticing anything strange about Varick at first, “Welcome out this way! On the way to Ritherhithe?” She guessed with an easy smile, willing enough to take Tamsin’s reins from her, “or going on elsewhere?”

No one ever stayed in their town for long, after all.

~***~

Kirsikka knew ‘rakshasa’. Not because she’d ever dealt with one, but because her interest in the arts of illusions and changing shape led her to know of other things that did the same. Rakshasa were notoriously dangerous, bloodthirsty things – and terribly intelligent. Not intelligent enough, though. They couldn’t read minds.

And this one just grunted at 50 years, not considering how old Drazhan was…and what had happened only forty years ago. That information should have been seared into Varick’s head, that Drazhan couldn’t be much older than the terrible event that brought the Primals down low. That shouldn’t have been just grunted off as a casual mishap, with, “I’ve faced down a lot worse since then.”

There was still mischief dancing in its yellow eyes.

Mischief that faded into malice as soon as it heard Kirsikka murmuring under her breath, once more in elfish, and noticed the sudden shooting up of vining plants from beneath him. He moved immediately, faster than the true Varick could, towards Kirsikka, blissfully unaware that had been Kirsikka’s plan.

Tired, she was, but not stupid.

Slow, though. Slower than she meant to be, obvious enough by the sudden shriek when her hair was grabbed and she was wrenched up to her feet by it and held in front of the rakshasa. “Oh, that was stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid, don’t you know how slow magic is?”

Kirsikka didn’t answer, hands in her own hair to try and lessen the pulling pain, while new growth sprouted up around the rakshasa’s legs, twinning around loosely, but prepared to snap tightly around the second it needed to hold him in place. But he didn’t need to know that. Just as he didn’t need to know she could cast magic without an incantation.

Only Drazhan needed to notice.

“So, how did that fight go, boy?” the Rakshasa asked, still using Varick’s voice. “I doubt there was anything important on the line before, so why don’t we make a deal? I take your horses, and maybe an arm, and let you two go on your way. I’m not unreasonable.”

Tamsin gave the stable woman an easy enough smile. “Oh yes, on the way to Ritherhithe.” She easily took over for the both of them, understanding the precarious situation that Varick was in.

One glimpse into his eyes, and the stable woman would either stop being nice altogether and kick them out, or offer them room for an exorbitant price.

Or maybe neither would happen, and the woman would just continue to pretend he was a normal human. Something tells me that wouldn’t happen exactly.

“For business or pleasure?” The stable woman asked, reaching out to take Luna from Tamsin. Tamsin paused her for a second, allowing herself to get her bags and instruments off from Luna, before handing the reins over to the woman.

“Mostly business, but some pleasure. I’m a bard seeking out some business there.” She emphasized her answer by holding up her lute and fiddle cases, held together in one hand.

“A bard? Oh you must perform for us tonight! It’s been a while since a bard has graced our humble little inn.”

Tamsin smiled. “If you can spare a hot meal for me and my traveling companion, then I would love to perform for you all tonight.” Her performances weren’t free after all, and her rumbling stomach reminded her that it was time for dinner. She was ready for a satisfying meal after a day of nibbling on dried meats and fruits.

~~~

Drazhan was up the moment the vines began to grow and the sword in his hand when Kirsikka let out the sudden shriek. He stayed back, for only a second, as he noticed the vines creeping up the Rakshasa’s legs, unnoticed by the monster.

“There was no fight,” he huffed, sword tight in his hands as he straightened up, prepared to separate the rakshasa’s head from its miserable neck. “I’m not even fifty years old.” His way of telling the Rakshasa how it messed up big time. How they were able to tell him apart from the real Varick.

Among several other reasons for Drazhan.

“But unfortunately for you, we’re attached to those horses, and our arms, so that won’t be a good trade.” He unsheathed his sword, and quickly yelled out, “Now!” for Kirsikka to tighten the vines around the Rakshasa.

He swung his sword up, aiming to decapitate the monster in one fatal blow before it could even blink.

With his items taken from Marzipan, Varick would nudge the mare forward so she could be taken as well by the stablehand when she was willing to reach out, hearing Tamsin’s request. She hummed, “That should be feasible, we’re not packed tonight,” not that they often were, “so long as your music can bring in a little extra coin, I think we can arrange something,” she winked. “Do you need one or two rooms?”

“Two’s preferable.” Varick spoke up, still keeping his gaze a bit averted, following Marzipan rather than the stable hand’s gaze, head tilted down enough, he hoped. So far, she didn’t seem bothered. The fact it was nearly dark also helped.

The woman chuckled, “Are you sure?” She teased playfully, but then turned her grin to Tamsin, “I’ll check with what we have, once I get the horses settled, but you two are welcome to go in and let Blythe know the situation,” she offered, “I’m Rosy,” she added, so that Tamsin had a name to open with about the offer for Blythe.

Varick nodded, and glanced to Tamsin to go on ahead, accepting his role as follower here, whatever that meant to whoever was observing. It was easier this way to slip under the radar and keep to himself, easier to let Tamsin do the talking so he could get a warm meal and a bed. Even a show, from the sounds of it.

Although he already knew he liked Tamsin’s singing voice, he imagined the spectacle would be a bit different.

~***~

Kirsikka did, of course, tighten the vines, thorny as they were, around the Rakshasa up to the waist. She did attempt to pull away, but to little effect. The Rakshasa was hurt, but it’s grip didn’t loosen. Rather, it tightened in her hair and it pulled her right back, securing her with an arm around her chest as it tilted her so her own neck was in the path of Drazhan’s strike.

Not that he struck, of course.

It was enough to deter him from it, which was, of course, what the Rakshasa wanted. “Here I thought you would be far more attached to your lives, but I don’t mind taking them, either. Everyone’s got to eat.”

Although the Rakshasa was smart enough to realize killing the mage would leave it with a very pissed off Primal to deal with. Right now, she was a great shield, as he figured out just how to deal with the Primal before him. “But we can try this again, if the mage would be so kind to let go of my legs.”

“Let go of my hair.”

It did. Only to put it’s hand at her neck, extending talons that were definitely not Primal in nature. Then again it was a shapeshifter.

Kirsikka let the vines go, as per the implicit agreement to not get her head cut off by that damned claw. “Rather interesting you can do that without words. You really thought that would trip me up, didn’t you?”

Kirsikka just seethed. Telling it to go fuck itself was a sure way to get a claw in her neck.

Rose’s gentle tease of asking if they’re sure they wanted two rooms sent more thoughts through Tamsin’s mind. Thoughts she quickly pushed aside before her face turned scarlet.

“Thank you for your help, Rosy,” Tamsin said with a smile. She turned and left the stables, leading the way to the inn attached just right next door.

What she would give to get a bath before performing, but with the inn as small as it was, she would accept the fact that she may have to wait until Ritherhithe. There, she could enjoy a nice, relaxing, warm bath to end one leg of her journey.

She entered the inn and saw a man filling up some tankards behind the bar. She approached and said, “Are you Blythe?”

“I am indeed,” Blythe said with a nod.

Tamsin smiled. “I was just talking to Rosy about how you all needed some entertainment for the evening. Fortunately for I, a traveling bard, am here and can offer some music, and we were discussing the potential for a hot meal for myself and my traveling companion here if we can bring in some more coin your way.”

~~~

Too bad you can’t put a knife in its back without words.

Drazhan seethed as the Rakshasa gained the upper hand once again. In this case, quite literally as he brought one taloned hands up to Kirsikka’s neck.

He was back in a position where he had to bargain, and he hated that. Bargaining with a Rakshasa was not ideal, bordering idiotic.

But he had no choice. Not if he wanted to try and outmaneuver and outsmart the creature to let go of Kirsikka long enough to get a swing in.

“Okay, fine. You want to bargain? We’ll do this your way.” He sheathed his sword and held up his hands, showing that they were now empty. “Let her go, unharmed, and we’ll talk about the horses. That’s what you were wanting, right?”

Blythe listened to Tamsin as Varick stepped in, keeping behind her, and keeping his gaze from ever being direct so it could be mistaken as a light hazel or a light brown. Blythe, thankfully, paid Varick little mind other than an assessment of how much a man of his size might eat. “All right,” he said, understanding the deal, “How about free meals, and then we can negotiate the rooms based on how much is made this night, eh?”

She would make her own tips, of course, but the drinks and food others bought would pay for Blythe’s inn. If he made more than usual, he could consider taking some off for the room, since he could attribute it to her performance.

Varick made an agreeable sound. Free food and possible negotiation on lower fare for a room seemed fine to him, but Tamsin was the bard. She could negotiate further if she thought she could earn more in this town to earn two free rooms. That was asking a lot, in Varick’s opinion. A deal of lower fare seemed a bit more reasonable.

“Besides, I imagine he eats a bit,” Blythe joked.

Varick allowed the trace of a smile to touch his lips, and answered in that deep, low voice, “Not as much as you’d expect,” but he could, and he’d happily indulge himself where he could. He knew he’d still likely stick to a single portion of whatever they had that night. No need to gorge when the town probably wasn’t prepared for it.

~***~

Kirsikka was mentally going through the options as Drazhan put his sword away to negotiate with the Rakshasa, who very obviously had the upper hand. She might have to apologize later for telling Drazhan she'd leave him behind if he became a hindrance. Right now, she was the hindrance. All because she tried to draw it's attention and didn't anticipate it's speed.

"The second I let go of her, we both know what you're going to do," the Rakshasa noted. Nothing Kirsikka could fault it for. Nor could she fault Drazhan for trying to get her free.

But what now? She couldn't talk to Drazhan to concoct a plan.

"You're going to go convince the horses to go running off. Once they're a good distance away, I'll let her go, and go after them. You might want to take any necessary supplies off of them."

"So thoughtful," Kirsikka muttered.

"Speak again and I'll add your tongue to the list."

Nothing was really going to stop the Rakshasa from killing them anyways. Unless it really was reasonable. Possible, but Kirsikka was attached to her horse. She tried to give Drazhan a meaningful look, to go ahead with the demand.

She had ideas, as the wind stirred with her silent bidding. Nothing too notable. A cold breeze through the trees, sudden and gone, but Kirsikka was working on truly shattering this Rakshasa’s delusion that she was utterly powerless. Drazhan just had to distract a little longer as drew warmth to herself.

Tamsin kept her smile on her face, chuckling with Blythe at his comment on how much Varick must eat, especially since Varick seemed to take no offense to the comment either. She had only seen him graze on what they brought along for the road, but she was also in the mindset that he could eat a lot more if he wanted to.

If he did, between the two of them, they would eat the same amount as two normal people.

“But I think that sounds reasonable. Free meals for an evening of entertainment, and then further negotiations for rooms can be made,” she reiterated, making sure she got everything.

Blythe nodded. “We’ll have to see what the room situation is like when Rosy gets back. We’re a small inn as it is, and sometimes we get kind of full since this is one of the main roads leading to and from Ritherhithe.” Sometimes the small inn wasn’t prepared for a full house.

Tamsin frowned, but that didn’t deter her. “If you have just one room then, we’ll take it. In fact, I wouldn’t mind going to the room now and freshening up a bit before performing.”

~~~

Drazhan knew he wasn’t really defenseless with his sword sheathed. He could have it back in his hand in the blink of an eye.

And he knew that they were definitely not going to give up their horses. He wouldn’t do that to Bear, his companion of several years, and he was certain Kirsikka had her own attachment to her beast.

“Can you fault me for wanting us to leave with everything we came here with?” he said sardonically with a shrug of his shoulders. The sarcasm may not be appreciated at the time, but it was how Drazhan worked. And if he could indeed get them out of there with everything intact, then who the fuck cared.

Drazhan saw the look on Kirsikka’s face. He couldn’t quite fully understood it, and stopping the negotiations to ask her what she wanted was out of the question, but he could surmise what she wanted.

A cold breeze.

“But adding any body parts to our negotiations will not work for me. I kind of need her ability to talk.” And it would be a shame to waste such a pretty voice.

He heaved a heavy sigh, hands falling to his side as he lowered them. “So, just the horses then, right? Lead them far from here, you’ll go after them, and we trust you to not come back after us?” A repeat of everything said already, but it was a stall. A distraction. Anything to get the focus off of the mage in the Rakshasa’s talons.

“Mm. I’m certain we have at least one right now,” if the others filled up, that was good for his business and he wasn’t inclined to turn them away, but since that might also be thanks to the bard, he was willing to part with one room she already planned to earn or pay for, so he dug out one of the keys and handed it to her, “Marker shaped like an apple,” there weren’t always literate people that needed rooms.

Varick debated following up, but understood he likely shouldn’t. Not for long. “I’ll just take my stuff up,” hopefully there would be a second room, but in either case, he didn’t need to hold on to the things he’d taken off of Marzipan, “Then I’ll come down to eat.”

“Any preferences?” Blythe asked, “We have a hearty beef stew tonight with some bread, as well as some boar and roasted vegetables.” Not much in the way of options, but that was expected in a place like this.

“Stew will be fine. With some ale to wash it down.” Varick ventured.

“I’ll get it prepared,” Blythe promised, and Varick nodded, then went to follow after Tamsin to the room so he could toss his things for the moment and try to prepare himself for the show, and hiding what he was long enough to eat – and then get back to the room before the jig was up and there was trouble because of what he was.

He didn’t need that to happen to Tamsin.

~***~

Kirsikka shut her eyes against the sight of Drazhan, hearing his words, but not truly.

Memories spoke to her of power, of the initial mystery and hopes placed upon her for being a mage who wielded spontaneously. Emotions was the leading theory, but everyone had emotions, and there were some people that felt more strongly than Kirsikka. She hadn’t been able to truly make sense of why she could cast without an incantation, but she believed one thing: it had everything to do with emotions.

And she had finally figured out which was stronger, between love and hate.

It swirled in that black void where her heart had been, as terrible emptiness that had become the source of her power even before Mont Pellinor, when she had vowed never to be a fire mage out of spite, and found that ice rested at the center of hatred, as fire rested at the center of love.

But the Rakshasa knew nothing of her silence or why a chill breeze continued to stir as he spoke to Drazhan. “Well, at least until I get hungry again, but I’m sure you’ll both be well out of my hunting grounds by then,” assuming he didn’t just follow them for an easy meal later, of course. No, there were no guarantees, the best guarantee was that he was hungry enough to take his chances on two defenseless horses.

Which were fair odds, really. People less attached to their creatures might have accepted it easier and found it paid off.

“It’s a better offer than you’ll get from most things out this way…those things which care to negotiate at al—”

Too tired, and too angry with herself, when she felt that terrible emptiness like a pebble hitting the bottom of a lake, she shrieked again, only this time the pain was far from external. The Rakshasa meant to respond with cutting her throat, but he was far too late. His hand was impaled by icy spikes that simply grew out of Kirsikka’s body, impaling not only his hand, but his body, severely.

He was quick enough to let her go and stumble backwards, bleeding from several holes, as Kirsikka ducked down, spikes melting away as she covered her head with her hands. There was evidence of it – wilted and yellowed grass, branches coated in ice, and other bits of grass frozen or dripping with water that had suddenly come out of the air. Kirsikka had at least focused the ice on herself and not on casting it outwards, but she’d still had to draw on removing quite a bit of heat from the area.

Enough that the breath from Zephyr’s nostrils came out in steam.

Tamsin took the key with a smile, thanking Blythe for his tremendous help and letting him know she’ll eat some stew, with some mead, after her performance. She led the way to the room, her stuff in her hands, and she looked over at Varick who was following her. She understood the need to set down his stuff for now. It would be an annoyance to keep it in the main area until another room opened up for him.

“I do want to get changed into a different outfit for the evening,” she mentioned to him with the scrunch of her nose. “I really don’t fancy smelling like horse while trying to entertain.” And she had two dresses she liked to decide between for entertainment.

Once Varick put his stuff down and left the room, Tamsin set about pulling a burgundy dress that showed off the swell of her breasts from one of her bags, and changed her clothes, happy to finally have something clean on for the first time in a few days. She smoothed her hands down the fabric of the dress and over her hair, smoothing it out and making her seem less travel-weary.

Tamsin deemed herself ready, and she left the room to make her way back to the main room of the inn, both instruments in her hands. “Are they ready for me?” she asked Blythe. Most seemed engrossed in their own meals and conversations, either wearied from traveling, or weary from a long day in the fields for those visiting the inn for just a drink.

“You’re welcome to start any time you’re ready,” he said with a nod.

~~~

With the shriek, Drazhan lifted his arms to protect his face, not knowing what would come of the infamous Boreal Wind’s powers. The spikes didn’t shoot out at him though, although Drazhan could feel the chill of her powers in the air. His breath became visible. His arms lowered so he could assess the situation.

The Rakshasa was injured, and Kirsikka was out of its grasp, finally. He quickly moved into action, unsheathing his sword once more as he rushed forward to deal the final blow to the Rakshasa.

Right as he lifted his arms to bring down the final swing onto the Rakshasa, a familiar shape took form below. A statuesque woman, with long hair as golden as the sun, looked up at Drazhan with eyes full of fear. “Why, Drazhan,” she pleaded as blood pooled around her. “I thought you loved me, your Sophia.”

He hesitated only a moment as the memories resurfaced, but he wouldn’t allow that to distract himself from the situation at hand. The Rakshasa’s last moments, desperation for living setting in.

Drazhan didn’t blame it, but also, it was a monster that needed to die before anyone else innocent was caught at the wrong place at the wrong time.

His arms swung down with all the strength his Primal biology allowed him, clearing the head of the Rakshasa clean off his body. In death, the monster took the form of its natural state, no more a familiar body to either Kirsikka or Drazhan.

Varick only grunted his acceptance, figuring he would be kicked out of the room shortly after arriving in it. He had no plans to stay, no need to linger, and he returned to the main portion of the inn to a meal and a drink, which he dug into earnestly. Oh, the stew was bland, not enough spices, but it was warm, and it was hearty, and that was all that really mattered. It would be a good meal for the night.

As would the bread.

He hadn’t finished by the time Tamsin returned to the area, in quite the eye-catching the dress. The color alone would have done that, but the cut of it kept the attention as it showed off her assets. Varick noted it, admitted it was quite a good look on her – far better than her traveling clothes – before also acknowledging that was why those other things were traveling clothes.

Traveling like this wouldn’t be the smartest idea.

Performing like that certainly brought her coin. He also imagined it brought her trouble. ‘More reason to make sure she knows more to defend herself.’ Varick reminded himself, leaning back in his seat. He lifted his tankard towards Tamsin when she did a skim of the room to let her know where he was.

He’d at least watch a bit of her performance.

He liked her voice.

And it’d be rude and suspicious to leave too soon.

He’d only quietly admit to himself he was curious what she got up to in outfits like that, considering all he’d heard from her was a ballad. Ballads wouldn’t pay the way quite as well as more…upbeat songs would, in a dress like that.

~***~

In the aftermath, Kirsikka was left burning. The chill left her with flame in her veins, terribly uncomfortable, but not like before. This wasn’t that sort of scale. She felt blood on her neck and covered it with her hand, understanding the fiend must have nicked her with its talon as she looked back to see it’s end – it’s last ditch attempt to live in the form of some beautiful ray of sunshine who had once been dear to Drazhan.

‘Forget her. Forget it all.’

It was the only mercy she could offer as she averted her gaze before Drazhan managed the blow, and the creature fell, to a snort from Zephyr as if this had all been some tedious comedy. Then again, very little bothered Zephyr. Kirsikka forced herself back to her feet, keeping a hand on her neck, steady pressure.

The body was now that of the Rakshasa. No longer the one who wouldn’t be remembered, or named. The one far out of Kirsikka’s memory, never seen, never heard. Kirsikka spoke a quiet incantation, and the plants moved again. Fungus sprouted rapidly, decay and deterioration sped up.

It wasn’t as if she and Drazhan were going to move camp.

She wasn’t dealing with a corpse all night, although each word felt like a weight, and her tongue simply moved on auto-pilot as her entire body screamed for sleep after the sudden burst. Her mind wanted to fall back into that coldness while the heat continued to keep her flush.

At least the area around was already losing the touch of ice.

When the evidence of the body was more or less gone, she shifted back to the common tongue. “That was my error,” the yellow blooms lit again, the sign she should have taken from the elves that something was amiss. “I apologize. And I will improve my sleeping habits.” Despite her stubbornness, Kirsikka was old enough by now to recognize her mistakes and the causes of them.

No apology was sincere without change. She couldn’t take back this fuck-up, but she could prevent it.

Tamsin smiled as she saw Varick, already eating. It only served to remind her how hungry she was getting, but she promised a performance first, and she hated performing when full from dinner.

Though a tankard of mead didn’t sound too bad right then.

Tamsin stood on a bench of an empty before sitting down on the top of the table, fiddle and bow in one hand while her lute was still enclosed in its case at her side. She started off with a slow tune, its only reason was to get the attention of everyone in the room.

She wouldn’t dare to actually play a slow song right now unless someone requested a certain ballad.

“Bah,” she said, stopping abruptly. “I think we need something a bit more lively in here, what do you all think?” There were a few cheers as she now captured the attention of a few more people. Tamsin stood up on the bench once more, before moving to stand on top of the table. Her own makeshift stage in a theater without one.

She would have to apologize to Blythe and Rosy later if they didn’t like her standing on the empty table.

Tamsin eased into a jaunty tune, one that several people recognized and began to clap along in rhythm. She easily lost herself to the music, moving about with the beat as more and more people began to join in on clapping to the rhythm.

But she wouldn’t stay on her fiddle for too long, not when the lute and her singing tended to bring in more cheers and tips, and she easily switched instruments, much to the enjoyment of the patrons.

I sing of a maiden…

~~~

Drazhan didn’t bat an eye as the ground ate up the body of the Rakshasa weeks faster than what was normal. That certainly answered his next question, whether or not they were going to risk finding a new area to settle for the night, or deal with a corpse.

He didn’t fancy sleeping next to a headless body.

Drazhan looked back at Kirsikka, frowning. At least she was acknowledging her errors, and seemed to be making an attempt to fix them. “Are you okay?” he asked, already knowing the answer, but wondered if she would indulge him in explaining why.

Explain to him why exactly she hadn’t been sleeping.

“You rest as long as you need to, I’ll keep watch until morning.” He was wide awake; he wouldn’t need much rest. Not like Kirsikka. He heard of what magic can do to the body, and she had already looked like she was about to pass out before the Rakshasa intervened on their camp.

She would be as good as dead without proper rest.

“We’ll get a late start tomorrow if we have to. I think we can afford being a few hours behind schedule.”

Varick, of course, was never part of the crowd that disregarded the bard, watching her as she set herself up, beginning with something slow before abruptly shifting. And he understood that it was an intentional decision, and inwardly smiled even if outwardly he just let his eyes follow her movements and kept the ale near his lips.

She got into the show with a jaunty melody, performing atop her makeshift stage, and drawing plenty of attention to herself – which of course, brought tips, and caused people to stay longer as they lost track of time – and lost track of drink. It was easy to see how this made taverns and inns more money, now that he was intentionally watching it.

Even when they weren’t focused on the music, the music set a mood, and people stayed to chat with those they knew in that atmosphere.

They didn’t even pay him much mind, though he remained quite aware of himself, and humored few who tried to come over and start a conversation with little more than grunts or single-syllable responses. They tended to get the hint, none drunk enough to press him for true companionship that evening.

And Varick lost track of his own sense of time, watching her.

Even if he wasn’t much a fan of the upbeat melodies, he found he was quite the fan of Tamsin.

~***~

“No.” The answer was flat. She had no energy to lie. Nor to elaborate. Perhaps in the morning, but Drazhan already gave her a free pass to sleep that she couldn’t even consider digging wrappings out of Zephyr’s pack to cover the wound on her neck. No, she went right to her bedroll, laid out but so rarely slept in lately, let her hand fall away to her side, and all but collapsed onto it.

Not a word of good night. She was barely awake a minute after she hit the ground, not at all natural, not at all good, but Drazhan promised to keep watch and she didn’t doubt he would be wide awake, and stay that way.

The nameless ray of sun would do that to a person.

Better he be with his thoughts instead of his dreams, whatever those promised to be. Kirsikka’s own dreams were atrocious. Fever dreams always wore, magic-weak, fever dreams, were probably top tier for worst dreams, a mess of chaos and emotions that couldn’t empty themselves into her sleep-deprived fast enough.

Illusions and shapeshifters.

Dravon.

Mont Pellinor, a thousandfold, an icy wasteland of her creation – the ruination of everything, and all her plans being wrong, wrong, wrong, leaving the world a wasteland because she had destroyed what it needed in her rage.

“Is it really hate, Kirsi? It never would have happened if you hadn’t loved.”

It was late when Kirsikka stirred from her dead rest. She knew that from the chirping birds and the warmth of the sun through the trees, as well as just how sore she was. She hadn’t bothered to make herself comfortable, and her body was thanking her for that with aches. She groaned on waking, stretched out to try and mitigate the pain, and groggily sat up, seeking Drazhan.

And still expecting to wake up without him there.

Tamsin played until her fingers ached and her body yearned for food and rest. She snuck in a few more songs, her own, until she had to stop. “I’m so glad you’ve all had a wonderful time.” There were groans in the audience when they realized she was done for the evening.

“You’ve all been the most wonderful audience! Remember to toss a coin if you can.” The case of her lute was open on the bench next to the table she had been performing on. Throughout the performance, people had slowly been giving her a few coins here and there, nothing extravagant, but nothing she certainly wouldn’t complain about.

Tamsin collected her coin, counting it later when she was back in her room, and grabbed her instruments before moving over the bar to get some stew and mead.

“That was brilliant!” Blythe said with a laugh. “It’s been a while since I’ve seen this many people drunk here. I think we can definitely negotiate your room rates.”

Tamsin smiled. “That’s amazing, I’m glad I was able to bring in that much extra business for you. Do you mind if we discuss the rooms after I’ve eaten? I’m rather famished.”

“Of course, of course,” he said, passing her a bowl and a tankard.

Tamsin gave Blythe a nod and moved over to the table Varick was sitting at. “So, did you enjoy yourself?”

~~~

Drazhan frowned as Kirsikka all but passed out on her bedroll, without even cleaning up the wound on her neck. He debated on cleaning it up for her, but ultimately decided against it. She may not be happy to wake up and find that he had touched her in her sleep, even despite his pure intentions.

She’s not dying from blood loss, and that was what was important.

He settled himself on his bedroll, leaning against a tree as he kept his senses tuned in for anymore approaching danger, but thoughts turned back to the woman the Rakshasa turned into.

“Drazhan, can I ask you something?”

The man shifted in bed, his gaze lowering with a wolfish smile to the two lovely assets of Sophia’s that garnered his attention.

“I’m serious!” she laughed, lightly slapping Drazhan in the arm.

He chuckled, and brushed a blonde strand of hair back from her face. “What is it?”

“Do you think we’ll be together forever?”

Morning peered over the horizon, and Drazhan pulled himself away from his thoughts of a lover long lost. Sophia’s life was tragically taken shortly after that peaceful conversation in bed, where they spent a joyous evening together without thoughts of their actual lives.

Just two people in love, enjoying one another without a care.

Drazhan looked over at Kirsikka as he heard her begin to stir. Lost in his own thoughts for the hours awake, he didn’t realize the transformation she undertook in her sleep until then. It appeared her disguise had worn off, and her original form took its place.

An original form that was familiar to Drazhan.

“Well good morning there,” he greeted, shifting in his spot. “It’s about mid-morning, and I’d say you’re in need of some supplies for a potion, aren’t you? Not that I’m complaining about your current form. Far from it. But I figured you’d want to know.”

Tamsin entertained for a while, Varick not truly recognizing how long he’d stayed until she was wrapping up, and he let his attention shift to a window to consider the hour. It was quite dark by now. ‘This is new.’ He could admit that to himself, but at least Tamsin had no idea of his habits, so she wouldn’t know it was new.

Or strange.

And perhaps it would just be this once. He had seen a show now. He didn’t need to see her others.

Tamsin came to join him rather than any particularly adoring fan. He’d long finished his stew, but he had acquired another ale at his own expense and nodded as Tamsin joined him. Her question was anticipated, and an agreeable hum rumbled in his throat before he voiced, “I still prefer the ballads, but,” he emphasized it before she could complain or pout, “you put on a good show and judge moods well. You have skill at reading your audience and giving them what they need, or want.”

As she’d read him easily enough before and played a ballad. He could see how she eked out a living, even if it wasn’t the best. It was enough to travel, and not starve. He supposed that’s really all she wanted right now.

Maybe a little more – but she was capable of living this way.

Varick had no doubt it could continue. She could become truly famous and be sought by nobility, rather than hope to draw crowds.

One day.

~***~

Drazhan hadn’t run off in the night. He was still fairly determined to do the stupid thing and hang around. Kirsikka’s gaze focused on him as he spoke, letting her know the approximate time, and that her disguise had worn off. She would have noticed soon enough anyways – the red hair was a mess of waves and coils tangled together that absolutely needed a combing out, and far better attention than she’d been able to give it.

It wouldn’t get any of that, of course, as she pushed herself up to her feet and went to her bag, “Not yet,” she muttered, taking one of the remaining two potions, “Soon.” But by then it shouldn’t matter as much. By then, she should be well into Pomachion and hard to find by any means.

The disguise would, of course, help prevent what means remained.

It was too early to acknowledge any meaning to his words, and she just wasn’t in the mood to consider it, anyways. She downed the potion, and away with the red curls, shortening up into that lighter color, and far more manageable style. Everything changed but the eyes – those alone were untouched by the magic of the potion.

Well, that, and the wound which had at least closed up in the night.

“Don’t worry about ingredients. When it runs out, it runs out, at this point.” Perhaps she’d have better odds finding things in Pomachion, but she wasn’t going to go out of her way for it. “Do you need to rest any this morning or are we set to head out?” Straight to business. Dwelling on anything last night seemed a poor idea, as she moved to pack things up.

They didn’t need to talk about Sophia, or how she knew Varick, too.

Tamsin beamed at the compliment Varick paid her. “Thank you, that means a lot.” It wasn’t quite something she hadn’t heard before. Many men paid her compliments, some bordering the obscene, but it felt different coming from Varick.

Maybe to her, he didn’t seem like the type to pay many compliments. Or he seemed like a man of few words. Either way, it resulted in a fluttering sensation in her chest.

One that she has certainly never experienced before due to a compliment.

Tamsin dug in to her food, happy and eager at the warm meal. Like Varick, she found it quite bland, but it was hearty, there was bread, and she could wash it down with her mead. It was all she wanted.

“After this, I can go talk to him again about our rooms. If there is another one, and what our rate will end up costing us,” she told him in between bites.

~~~

Drazhan wouldn’t pout or mention anything about how he almost preferred Kirsikka’s original body. That would be an easy way to get a slap across the cheek, or whatever creative punishment a mage could think up.

But he did watch as her body began to transform due to the potion, fascinated with the magic forming right before his eyes.

Red, unruly hair turned to white and Drazhan faced the woman he was familiar with seeing over the last few days of traveling together. “Right,” he said, averting his gaze before his stare bordered on improper.

He was only curious, that was all.

Drazhan set about packing his own things up, which only meant rolling up his bedroll, tacking it back onto Bear, and strapping his sword to his back. “I’m ready to head out,” he told her. “If you need a few more minutes, don’t hesitate to say so.” After last night, he was surprised she wasn’t still asleep.

But he wouldn’t insist. It would do no good.

Varick sipped at his ale as Tamsin ate, noting the looks he got from a few for being Tamsin’s partner, but he ignored the looks. Most seemed unlikely to start anything over it. Small towns were usually better about that, when the two were, well, strangers. If it had been some local woman that sat down with Varick, the situation would have been drastically different.

He hummed agreeably as she mentioned talking to Blythe about rooms. “If there’s only one, you can have the bed,” he noted, “I’m used to sleeping on the ground often as it is.” Something she must have figured out by then. He added, “Besides. I’ll actually sleep here.”

Also true.

Lightly, but it would be sleep. He couldn’t break his habits. He’d still be keen to anyone that might try to come into their room for whatever malicious reason they’d have to do so. No one ever got the jump on him. He couldn’t really think of the last time he’d ever slept deeply. Likely, sometime in his childhood.

He just never felt safe enough, anymore.

“Thank you, for securing this for us,” Varick added. He had money, but of course, he wasn’t opposed to using less of it. He needed money for other things, always. Ritherhithe would be more difficult to get free things out of, too.

~***~

Kirsikka was aware of Drazhan staring. She wasn’t going to ask why; he’d made it fairly obvious he had an attraction, it seemed, to both bodies. His preference didn’t matter, nor his attraction in the moment. She wasn’t really in the mood to hear the false form was prettier, anyways.

Drazhan went to packing, and offered her longer to rest. She shook her head. True, it might be needed, but not all at once. “I’m all right for now,” never true, but that didn’t matter. As they continued on, Kirsikka would be true to her word of actually getting more rest, much as she loathed it.

She couldn’t trust Drazhan. But she could trust him more than the fiends in the woods, and the Rakshasa wasn’t the last of their troubles, though it was perhaps the most difficult of them. The others were more monstrous and less reasonable, which made them easier to deal with. The yellow flowers always clued them in to it, as they were led through the woods.

Neither of them spoke of Sophia. Or Varick. Kirsikka had all but cast it from her mind.

Their path never took them to the elves.

It seemed they chose not to meet the ones who saved their own kind, and instead led them right out into Pomachion, fairly near a town that lived on the boarder of the woods, and looked to have built up high walls and fortifications against the monsters.

Kirsikka was still under the effects of the second potion, thankfully, so a town wasn’t off the agenda completely, and she still needed to replace her crushed mirror. Not to mention, she would kill for a good bath after getting far too much blood on her clothes. She glanced to Drazhan, “Let’s see if they’ll let us in. Two days to clean up, rest, and restock would be good for us.” And they could leave quickly enough.

But the horses needed the rest.

She and Drazhan needed it.

Tamsin frowned as Varick stated he was used to sleeping on the ground. Of course, that made sense, but it didn’t mean he had to give up the comfort of a bed for her sake. “I think because you’re used to sleeping on the ground should be reason enough for you to get a bed as well.”

Although she would feel a little uncomfortable sharing a bed with Varick, she would also feel bad for making him sleep on the floor. He deserved a soft bed, dammit!

“If you do end up sleeping on the floor,” she added, not quite letting this matter go just yet, “then you’re not paying a single cent for that room. I will cover the cost. You’re supposed to be paying for a bed, and you’re not getting a bed.”

Tamsin’s head swam, and she looked down in her tankard, frowning as she realized her mead was all gone. “I suppose I should slow down,” she mumbled, turning back to her stew to finish it up. “It doesn’t take much alcohol to affect me.” And if they were sharing a room, it would be completely embarrassing for her to be tipsy, or even drunk.

~~~

Each creature that they came across after the Rakshasa was a walk in comparison. None were as intelligent or as human, so vanquishing them Drazhan could do without a blink of an eye.

It helped that they stayed along the path of the flowers, ensuring their relative safety.

They eventually came across a small town, obviously built to fortify against the monsters that plagued their lands. Drazhan certainly hoped the town would let them in. He could use a bath and some actual food.

They both could use a good rest after being on edge in the woods the entire time, wondering when the next monster would pop out at them.

Drazhan approached the guard standing at the front entrance of the town. “State your business,” he demanded, looking at Drazhan.

“Please, we’re just weary travelers in need of some rest and food. We’re just passing through.”

“Travelers who come through the Fateborne Woods and into Pomachion don’t usually hold the most pure of intentions for our town.”

The logic was kind. Varick could appreciate it, even if he remained inclined to deny the offer. Tamsin had a shorter lifespan, and wasn’t used to the floor. Not as much as he was. She should continue to enjoy those comforts, and live a better life than him. However, he wouldn’t argue the fee, and nodded.

“Not paying and keeping the floor, if need be, sounds like a fair negotiation,” this way Tamsin wouldn’t feel too bad about him being there, and he wouldn’t hold any grudges. Not that he would in the first place. Not with her. There were other people he’d certainly begrudged giving up comforts for in the past, though.

Of course, after Tamsin offered that, she seemed to react a bit more to what she had drank. Varick chuckled, unsurprised. She was small. It wouldn’t take much to impact her, whereas he barely felt a buzz at all. If he felt one. It took a lot more than run-of-the-mill ale to get him even tipsy, let alone drunk. “Doesn’t help your stomach isn’t full yet,” he pointed out, but nodded. “best to take it easy. At least you aren’t worrying about gold lost if you don’t drink it all.”

And, of course, “Though I won’t let anything happen to you if you get carried away,” it wasn’t permission, though. If she wanted a drunken night out, they could negotiate fees. And it’d be more fun in Ritherhithe. For her.

It’d be a pain in the ass for him.

~***~

Naturally, the gates wouldn’t just be open to anyone. Nor would being weary travelers be enough to be allowed to walk through. ‘Do you get that many travelers?’ No, probably not, but they might get plenty of fiends pretending to be such. “He’s a Primal, we’re a hunting a monster that killed my fiancé and ran this way, we don’t need more problems ourselves.” Kirsikka stated flatly as their ‘business’. “I used to live in Wytherton.”

At least she knew the area to make it a convincing lie. Wytherton was a port town in Pomachion. She believed it was still running, but knew it faced its fair share of monster attacks.

That Drazhan was a Primal was obvious enough. Few monsters would impersonate one; Primals weren’t accepted much more than their own kind, after all. “Name?” the guard asked.

“Cherry,” she only offered that. Drazhan could give a name, or no name, it didn’t matter to her.

The man snorted, no doubt because she looked nothing like a Cherry with such fair hair, before his expression stilled in thought. Kirsikka got a terrible feeling in the pit of her stomach just at the sight.

He knew something. Something in her name, or the appearance, and she didn’t think it was anything good. It was never anything good. “Fine. But if you two start any trouble...”

“We’ll be gone in a couple of days,” she said it, but meant one day, now. Two would at least make this guard think there was more time, for whatever thought had crossed his mind. The gates opened, and Kirsikka strode right in, leading Zephyr.

Last edited:
Tamsin still didn’t like the negotiation. She felt bad that Varick had to sleep on the floor, when they were just traveling in the woods. And would most likely sleep on the ground again the next night, the night before they get to Ritherhithe. She even wanted to offer to just put a pillow between them, but in public, she let it rest.

Maybe later, in private, if it comes to only one room left, she would try again.

That is, if the mead would allow her to remember her thoughts later.

She giggled, setting her empty stein to the side. “Yeah, you’re right. Anymore and I won’t be a great traveling companion tomorrow.” She wouldn’t get a hangover after one tankard of mead. But a second? That would certainly be pushing it.

Though Varick said that he wouldn’t let anything happen to her, and that just melted her heart. “Aww, thank you. That means a lot to me. I know I could’ve used a friend like you in the past with that offer.” How much trouble had she gotten into with simply too much alcohol?

Once too many.

~~~

Drazhan held a similar thought that Kirsikka did regarding the guard. He knew something. He knew Cherry’ name. And this far out, when she was wanted, that wasn’t a good sign.

But he couldn’t immediately see anything suspicious

He didn’t give his name, or say anything. He remained quiet as Kirsi talked, and the guard didn’t even seem interested in him. All they knew was that he was a Primal, and that was good enough for him.

He doubted there would be another Primal in this small village. He stuck out already.

Drazhan followed by Kirsikka’s side, leading Bear. “Does something not quite seem right to you either?” he whispered, ignoring some of the looks he was receiving.

He was used to it.

The giggling signified enough to Varick that she was getting a bit tipsy. Not that she hadn’t been giggly and chipper before, but there was a different lilt to it. Especially paired with her easy ‘awww’. He didn’t sigh, tempted as he was, he didn’t want to push her out of the happy mood completely.

“Probably best you didn’t have me around back then.” He wasn’t the…gentlest at getting foolish people out of their activities. And meeting her drunk probably wouldn’t have been as good a meeting as…well, okay, it might not have been as bad as meeting her with snakes.

But at least he could make out her character better sober.

“Besides, I charge for nights on the town.” Varick added, letting some play into his smile as he said it, even if his tone remained fairly deadpan. He was serious about that, he was getting paid for babysitting any amount of drunks, no matter how well he liked them. The risk of getting thrown up on was too high.

Or cried on.

Or generally having to deal with things he didn’t want to deal with.

He’d take monsters over most emotional drunk people. He’d take monsters over most emotional sober people.

~***~

Drazhan kept at her side, and the reason became obvious as his words reached her. “Mmm,” she hummed, agreeable on the sentiment. “Let’s get our horses tied off somewhere and grab what supplies we need. We may be reconsidering staying.” Kirsikka let her eyes rove over the buildings and the people.

Yes, they stared at Drazhan.

That was normal. Easy enough to accept, as she found a wooden pole and some fencing to tie Zephyr up to. A stable would be considered if they decided to stay. Right then, she didn’t want to run the risk of Zephyr being shoved into dark stable, out of sight and out of mind.

Especially as she saw familiar imagery of the Council of Light on a few people roaming. ‘Shit.’ She brushed Drazhan’s shoulder and made a gesture towards them, so he could see as well. If he was going to betray her, now was the time. She really hoped he wasn’t about to betray her, though. She didn’t need to turn another town into a frozen wasteland. Especially this far away from civilization. She’d be too worn out after that to deal with any monsters that followed such an outburst.

“I need a mirror, and we’ll both want to grab some rations. Food won’t get easier to hunt from here,” she could keep purifying water, but she doubted either of them wanted to eat monsters.

Sure, some might be tasty, but she doubted it. Deer, boar, and rabbits were likely going to be far more difficult. Fish and plants would make up too much of the diet. “Is there anything else you can think of that we need?”

Tamsin shrugged, tearing off a piece of bread. “You might have been able to save my ass from some bad situations,” she mumbled. She shoved the torn piece of bread into her mouth, hoping it will help sober her up some more.

Getting drunk wasn’t her absolute favorite thing to do, especially in a new town and in front of someone she didn’t entirely know all too well, despite traveling with him for a few days now.

“And while I am likely to not purposely get drunk in Ritherhithe, I think a little coin for guaranteed protection is a fair compromise.” Certainly Tamsin, if she was able to, would not willingly put up with drunk people for free. There was always too much vomit, or those who got too handsy.

And while she was a bard who enjoyed a good love story, some people loved to ramble on about their troubles as if she was their mother.

Tamsin preferred people when they were sober.

~~~

As Drazhan tethered his horse, he glanced over to where Kirsikka motioned. The familiar symbols from the Council of Light. Well, shit. That’s not good. Can’t stay in this town after all.

Though no doubt Kirsikka had already come to that conclusion as well.

He nodded as he listened to Kirsikka, eyeing the people wearing the symbols. They didn’t look like they were about to attack the duo, but he still didn’t trust to turn his back on them. That would just be foolish. “Yeah, the less time we’re here, the better.”

If they didn’t get out of that village fast enough, something was bound to happen.
Drazhan shook his head with Kirsikka’s question. “No, just the food rations.” He was easy; all he needed were the supplies he already had, and food and water to restock up on occasion. “Where would be the easiest place to get a mirror?”

Had someone harmed Tamsin? Varick assumed up to this point, she had gotten out of all troubles that came to her, but the murmured words made him wonder if things had ever gone too far, one time or another. Tempted as he was to ask, he knew it would do little good then. He could not go back and change it.

Nor did he want her to dwell in those feelings. “Mm. Well. There’s usually downtime while I’m exploring and researching a target,” Varick noted. “I may have time to come make sure you stay safe a few times in Ritherhithe.” That wouldn’t be too hard a promise to keep, although he knew it could be difficult if this fiend operated at night.

He’d have to check out early.

Or hope Tamsin would end her playing early.

Problems to be figured out, once they were in Ritherhithe. Besides which, he could always use a little more coin. “Not sure yet how that’s going to unfold.” Not how long he’d be there, or how difficult the hunt would be. “But we can worry about that later.” Well, he’d worry about it. She’d play music and take everyone’s minds off their troubles.

As it should be.

~***~

At least neither of them were terribly high maintenance. Food rations and her mirror. Simple. If they needed anything else, they’d deal with it then. Kirsikka had plenty of talents, and Drazhan knew how to survive. They could make this work. They just had to get out of here without incident.

“Not sure, but I’ll figure that out. You can go get the rations,” perhaps splitting up wasn’t ideal but there were advantages to it. Although Kirsikka doubted she’d be in any trouble in this guise, the possibility was there. Drazhan wouldn’t be caught in that situation if he was further away.

The same went with Drazhan. Some people just liked to attack Primals out of spite. Kirsikka could always surprise them if they tried. “I’ll find you when I’m done, or you can find me when you have everything prepared. All right?”

She could already hear his protesting, but she imagined his concerns for time would override them. They hardly needed to argue in the street about something as petty as dividing up labor. Well, actually – Kirsikka suddenly sighed and dug into her pouch, taking a few coins and offering them to Drazhan.

He might have also complained about being forced to pay for her adventure.

Now he couldn’t.

Tamsin smiled, a warmth blossoming in her chest at the obvious protective nature of Varick. “So are you saying our paths won’t immediately part in Ritherhithe?” she asked with a knowing smile. She didn’t want them to part, though she knew they had to.

His life was dangerous. Hers…not intentionally dangerous, but it could be. But it was also full of joyous laughter and songs, something Varick seemed to need more of in his life.

Everyone could use more singing and laughter.

Tamsin finished her stew and bread, and felt a little less tipsy as a result. “I guess I should go see about those rooms now,” she said with a nod. She stood up and made her way over to Blythe. “I’m wondering if you had a second room available?”

And luck wasn’t on her side. He had just given away the last room available at the inn, and so Tamsin and Varick would have to share the room that night. Not a big deal.

She still didn’t want him to have to sleep on the floor.

“So, we’re sharing that room tonight,” she told him as she sat back at the table.

~~~

Drazhan didn’t like the idea of splitting up, not in an unfamiliar setting. Anything could happen. A mob could surround them both. But really, were either one of them completely defenseless against an angry mob?

Kirsikka had her powers, and Drazhan had his Primal training. Certainly they both had escaped more precarious situations than some angry villagers.

But perhaps splitting up would be the easiest way to ensure they got out of there faster. They both would focus on their mission, and then they would meet back up for the next safest place to slumber for the night - if there was one.

“Alright,” he nodded, but he paused as Kirsikka reached into her pouch and drew out some more coins, offering it to him. Drazhan almost declined the extra coin, but he was buying her some food rations as well. He’ll just simply use the coin for her half. Maybe a little for him as well, depending on how much the villagers wanted to cheat him for. He was hardly going to argue with Kirsikka about such a trivial matter.

He nodded, grabbed the coins and placed them in his pouch.

“Well it’s not everyday we get some new faces around here,” a familiar voice spoke, and Drazhan turned to see the tall, raven-haired mage, Malina.

Varick didn’t give a straight answer to Tamsin’s question. Just a grunt, with a slight smile. It was likely their paths would separate for the most part, but he needed food, and drink. Room. He might easily find himself where Tamsin played on any given night when he wasn’t working. He didn’t think that would be a terrible thing, for either of them.

He could easily make sure nothing happened to her on those nights.

She finished up and went to check the room situation, which turned out to show there was not a second available. Varick sighed. No, he couldn’t be lucky enough to get a bed, could he? ‘Oh well.’ He’d have one in Ritherhithe. That much he could be certain of, somehow, someway. Larger towns were better for that.

And someone was always willing to put up a Primal.

Especially with a fiend causing problems, and rumor of it spreading far enough to reach him without being directly hired.

So, he shrugged, and got up, “Well, might as well get some space made up then,” grab some of the pillows and blankets to make it as comfortable as he could. “You can stay down here longer if you want, but I’m going to turn in.” he assumed she was prepared to, given her food was gone, but he didn’t want her to feel forced to if she wanted to stay up longer.

~***~

Drazhan didn’t offer an argument about the coin, although Kirsikka could see it in his eyes. He just took the coin and put them away. Kirsikka nodded, prepared to head off when a far too familiar voice came to greet them.

Kirsikka cut her eyes towards the woman without fully turning her head.

She inhaled ice. That sensationless void feeling returned, threatening bursting on just the sight of Malina, but Kirsikka forced out an easy exhale and put a smile on her lips that couldn’t reach her eyes. She acted, of course, but she was no actress, and feigning even unfamiliarity with the woman in front of her was a task. “Perhaps you would have more if the guards didn’t interrogate everyone who approached the gates.”

‘Fuck you, fuck you, fuck—’

It was an unending mantra, as much curse as it was prayer. Whatever god there was, strike Malina down on the spot! Prove to her she was unloved. Unwanted. Hateful. Terrible. Prove she had done everything wrong when she chose the Ineffable One over the Ordo Sors.

“We’re just here for a couple of days,” that easy lie again, “if you’ll excuse me, I do need to find a few things here.” She turned to leave, wondering how luck turned it so Malina was here of all places.

‘They’d send a mage to look for you.’ Of course they would. And Kirsikka could accept that was why they were here. Wydan had to report such things. She just had to pretend not to be a mage. Or know who Malina was.

Easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back