• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Primacy [Closed]

Lore
Here
Other
Here
Tamsin frowned as she heard the sigh. Immediately she felt guilty that she so easily accepted the bed without a little more argument. No worries, she’ll just have to convince him later that they could share the bed. It was big enough for the two of them. She was small, after all. There was no reason why he couldn’t sleep on the bed as well!

“I think I’ll turn in as well,” she said, standing up from the table. She was getting tired, and performing always put her to bed earlier, as it completely drained her energy once the adrenaline wore off.

It wasn’t until they were away from the crowd that Tamsin turned to Varick as they walked to their room she said, “I’ve changed my mind. I can’t have you sleeping on the floor. It’s not fair to you.” How often does he get to experience the softness of a bed? “The bed is plenty big enough.”

She will even put a pillow between them if she must. Tamsin may not fully trust Varick in all regards, but she did trust him enough to not act untoward her during the night.

Not that she would say no to the potential of something more with him for just one night, before they parted.

~~~

Malina allowed an easy smile on her face. “As you may have noticed, we have good reason to not just let anyone inside our gates, even if they are just some traveler with her,” she turned her cold gaze over to Drazhan, “Primal. It’s been a while, Drazhan.”

Drazhan inwardly groaned, hoping she didn’t remember him. Not that there was much of a past, fortunately nothing awkward that he would have to explain to Kirsikka later, but still. She knew his name. He could sense the hatred Kirsikka felt for Malina, and it didn’t take much to understand the basics of why. “Malina,” he said with a nod.

Malina turned back towards Kirsikka. “Well, if you need to find a few things, surely I could help you.” Her face betrayed no emotion that she knew who Kirsikka was. “It’s my way of greeting you two to our humble little village.”

The warning bells were definitely going off in Drazhan’s head. He wanted to tell her that he was certainly whatever Malina was playing at was simply an act. Or maybe Kirsikka already knew?

“No, thank you. We have it handled.”

“Oh, but I insist," she said with a smile that did not reach her eyes. Everything about Malina's niceness seemed artificial to Drazhan.

Tamsin had a change of heart as they walked to the room, now opting to share it. Varick glanced down at her, naturally inclined to deny the kindness. Big bed or not, it didn’t feel right. Sure, he knew he wouldn’t do anything untoward, but that didn’t matter much in his mind.

Still, he waited to respond until they were actually back in the room and he could see the bed. ‘Doesn’t seem that big to me.’ Oh sure, big enough of it was just him, but with her? His mind was still fighting against the indecency of it.

“Look, I really don’t mind the floor,” he said, already somewhat aware he was on the losing side of this. As if sleeping in a bed could be losing. “While I don’t plan to do anything untoward, I don’t want you to be uncomfortable for trying to be nice. So if it will make you uncomfortable, the floor is fine for me. I don’t need forced sympathy.”

And yet, he knew, from Tamsin it wasn’t forced.

It seemed to come easily from her, and so he knew, inevitably, she’d protest his assumptions and insist that she trusted him. Or that she really was offering from genuine kindness, and not too much guilt. That she wouldn’t be uncomfortable.

And he’d have to sleep on the very edge of the bed all night, with his back turned to her.

~***~

Hearing Malina’s name escape Drazhan’s lips did spark further anger. Fear, as well, pierced Kirsikka like a bolt to the heart. ‘Fuck.’ He was in league with her. This was a trap. ‘FUCK.’ But was it? He didn’t seem to be encouraging her sticking around, but that could all be a ploy.

Two years of paranoia didn’t disappear easily, and every alarm bell was going off in her head as Malina insisted. No, this wasn’t the Malina she knew, but how did she get out of here without blowing the city to kingdom come? ‘Why do you care? Drazhan is a traitor, just freeze him along with everything else.’

Kirsikka tried to silence the thoughts.

“If you’re insistent,” she took a few additional coins from her pouch, “would you kindly get us a room at the inn? That would help immensely as we gather supplies.” Some gold to get rid of her would be well worth it, “and if there’s any leftover, you can just keep it as a tip for the help. They probably won’t upcharge you as they will us.”

Still that smile that never reached her eyes as she offered the coins willingly.

What was gold to a mage of her standing, in the end?

Especially this close…she wasn’t going to need gold for much at all once she left this town behind. There weren’t many towns beyond here if her information was correct. Which was also, now, questionable. “Or you can go help Drazhan with supplies since it seems you two know each other – give you some time to catch up,” the smile was sharp.

‘Fuck you Drazhan. Fuck you and burn in hell.’

Tamsin pouted. “I don’t do forced sympathy. It won’t make me uncomfortable, but it will make me sad if you slept on the hard floor.” And she had reason to believe he didn’t want to make her sad.

He seemed to like her, just as she liked him. They enjoyed each other’s company, unless Tamsin was completely misreading Varick, and he happened to act this way with everyone.

“Then it’s settled,” she said with a smile. “We’ll both take the bed, and no one will have to be forced to sleep on the floor.” She made her way over to one of her bags, pulling out clothes that were more comfortable for sleeping in than her performance dress.

“Though I do need you to turn around for a few minutes as I get dressed,” she said with a sheepish smile. Maybe she should’ve come in the room first, and give Varick some time before he was allowed in as well. “I trust you won’t look.”

~~~

Malina frowned as Kirsikka tried to get rid of her. Oh, you foolish bitch. My niceties will end soon enough. “Why get you a room at the inn when I know a place far better for the two of you?” She ignored the gold coin Kirsikka offered, and snapped her fingers.

In an instant, those with the Council of Light emblems surrounded the duo, weapons drawn and pointed. “An inn is too good for the Boreal Wind,” she said with a laugh. “You can thank Wydan for helping me see your little disguise. And you,” she turned to Drazhan, “I’m sure there is much we need to catch up on these days.”

Go to hell, he wanted to snarl.

“How is Sophia these days?” Drazhan moved to unsheathe his sword, but another sword sharply pointed in his back stopped him. “Oh, that’s right,” she said with a mocking smile.

Her attention refocused back on Kirsikka. “Such a pity you weren’t able to get any further. But now I must take you and your Primal friend here in for the Council of Light and Trifflehem.”

Varick sighed, but silently consented to sharing the bed as Tamsin indicated it was all figured out. Of course, there were a few more minor details to hash out, like dressing…or dressing down, really. He turned away, “I won’t look, I’ll be busy with myself.”

Not that he’d be doing much other than removing his armor and his shirt. Well, and sword, of course. Sometimes he slept with it near but he’d at least broken the habit of actually sleeping with it. Unless the situation called for it. It was uncomfortable to sleep with it.

Varick would be true to his word, of course. He would keep his back turned and focus on his own undressing, waiting until Tamsin would give him the word that it was all right to turn back around. That she was decent enough for sleep, and then he’d turn around and head to the bed to claim his side of it – and make sure to scoot all the way over on his side.

“Good night, Tamsin,” it would come while his back was turned to her, “I’ll see you in the morning,” and then they’d continue their journey to Ritherhithe, with a few bits of training sprinkled between stops on the way.

~***~

‘Of course.’

Malina had it all figured out, and apparently, was behind whatever happened to Sophia. Well, that made two loved ones she’d killed for the two people there. Kirsikka wasn’t impressed with the call of guards. “You know, it would have been smarter to take my hand and snap it in Lethen Binds,” Kirsikka stated bluntly, hand with the coins drawing away. “But you were never the star pupil, were you?”

And then, Kirsikka closed her fist, eyes gleaming as she called on that reservoir of power within, no word of incantation as she suddenly hurled sharp, golden darts at some of the guard’s to dispatch them. It would pierce, and then melt, on contact.

Not pleasant.

But heat wasn’t the end idea here, of course. Malina would be a fool to think Kirsikka wouldn’t dive into her natural spell work, and it was only too easy with that hatred around, and the wind taking on that chill promise of what was to follow.

Kirsikka would never go down without a fight, and she doubted Drazhan had any plans of surrendering to the one who harmed Sophia, either. ‘At least now I get the history.’ Something traumatizing.

Once they were both turned away from each other, Tamsin slipped off her dress and travel shoes and slipped on a night gown, only giving Varick a quick peek once she was done.

Her eyes lingered a moment too long on the bare skin she saw, her face flushing like some maiden. A few scars caught her attention, scars she wanted to hear the stories of. Were they left behind from brave battles with fierce monsters? Or were they simply accidents while hunting?

Tamsin wanted to ask, but right before bed wasn’t the right time.

“Alright, I’m done,” she announced, moving over to her side of the bed. “Goodnight, Varick.” She settled on her side of the bed, and soon was asleep, while her body sought more warmth from the man laying beside her.

~~~

Malina did nothing more than offer a false, sweet smile at Kirsikka’s insult. And the smile never wavered under her attack on Malina’s guards. “You know, I was kind of hoping you would do that.”

A brief incantation under her breath and a snap of her fingers, and a flicker of fire sprung forth from her palm like a whip and struck Kirsikka in the face.

While the guards were distracted by the small spectacle of fire, Drazhan unsheathed his sword and swung at the guard behind him. As soon as that guard went down, three more had their swords pointed at him.

“That wasn’t very nice, now was it?” she pouted. “Where are those damn shackles?” she hissed to a guard standing next to her, who immediately moved to pull out one set meant for Kirsikka. “And yours as well,” she said to another guard, who pulled out another set meant for Drazhan.

She didn’t anticipate two prisoners, but she’ll be happy with them.

Malina motioned for them to move to put the shackles on Kirsikka and Drazhan. “It will be best to not resist. Don’t want to melt all that ice of yours.”

Sleep came easily enough, but Varick never slept deeply. At the hint of unexpected touch, he was alert, and shifted to see how close Tamsin had rolled to him in her own sleep. He sighed, shifted, and tried to roll her gently back towards her own side of the bed, only for her limbs to attempt to hold on to him.

He frowned at this.

It wouldn’t be good to wake her and embarrass her with this information.

She’d question him if she found him sleeping on the floor – assuming he couldn’t wake up before she did. Assuming she didn’t just wake randomly in the night as some people did. That left him with few options.

He could roll off the bed onto the floor and assume he never noticed until he woke up. Embarrassing for him, only a little for Tamsin if she was sprawled all across the bed, and assumed her movements led to his.

Or he could let her do this, enjoy the warmth, and feign sleep until she woke up, and then feign it a little longer so he had deniability about ever knowing it. Tamsin would probably still be embarrassed, but it would spare her guilt for discomforting him, since he’d never know.

In theory.

As far as she needed to know.

With a heavy sigh, he rolled onto his back and allowed Tamsin to curl up alongside him, and over parts of him. No, it was far from uncomfortable – quite the opposite, but he still felt bad about it.

Until he drifted off, of course, and enjoyed the general sensation, and no atrocious dreams. And even when he woke, he stayed as he was, all part of his plan to feign ignorance when he ‘woke’. So Tamsin didn’t need to feel bad.

Totally just that reasoning and not at all because it was a nice way to wake up and enjoy whatever minutes he had like that.

~***~

Fire never felt good. Kirsikka knew Malina excelled there, even if she was still bound to incantations and tools, and she despised it. The snap struck hard, enough to obliterate the focus if not the hatred and caused Kirsikka to stagger back into a guard who was quick to grab her arms and pull them behind her back before she had the opportunity to consider.

False skin and hair burnt away, leaving red skin behind that threatened to blister and weep, and one eye shut from the strike. Kirsikka didn’t know if it was blind or not, wasn’t willing to find out.

Not that Kirsikka much cared about that, and she managed to turn around her head enough to blow a freezing wind in the face of the one who held her, causing him to stumble back and fall as he inhaled, and froze his own lungs, as she heard the comment about shackles. ‘Hells.’ All the guard really needed was to be close to start nullifying the magic, that was the problem she encountered with the elves.

And the problem now as the guard was close enough when she turned back towards Malina.

Sure, she could step away.

She could leave Drazhan to his fate. Captured. Would they kill him? Could she get him back? ‘Will you?’

Kirsikka wasn’t a good person. She could admit that everything about her that was good, died on Mont Pellinor. Leaving Drazhan behind, Zephyr as well, were options on the table. Coming back to rescue him, wasn’t.

She had promised to abandon him if he held her back, and she took a step back, disregarding Malina’s pithy comment about melting ice.

‘What’s more important than what you’re doing?’

Nothing. Nothing at all. If she had a mirror, or even a water surface, she could portal away. Sure she could make these things, but she didn’t have time.

Time. What did she have time for to fuck Malina over? ‘Suicide.’ Not good enough. As a last resort, yet, but she was still in Pomachion, not Trifflehem.

She still had time…but she was also still a bitch, and Malina needed less guards.

Another step back teased with the magical range of the lethen metal, and she fired several icicles into the crowd with a twirl of her wrist – at the one approaching Drazhan, those at his back, even at Malina, although they had to pass too close to the lethen to be a real threat to her. They melted long before contact, but it was enough to scare the one holding the shackles into ducking, thinking the metal might not be as great a protection as they’d been led to believe.

When she laughed outright at him, he recovered enough to tackle her to the ground and pull her arms painfully behind her back, as if the gesture of her hands had been the true source of the ice. Kirsikka didn’t offer any sounds of discomfort, even if it did hurt quite a bit – not just the roughness, but having that fresh wound in the dirt. As far as she was concerned, her laugh could be the last one any of them heard before she murdered them in their sleep once she got out of these shackles.

And she would.

Tamsin woke in pure comfort. Granted, the beds hadn’t been that comfortable to call it pure comfort, but she was warm, and she was curled up next to a solid mass that gave off much of that warmth.

Wait…

Tamsin opened her eyes with a start, and saw that in her sleep, she had curled up on Varick. Sure, he was warm, and he had that distinct manly smell to him, but she was all over him. Oh thank the gods he isn’t awake yet.

Slowly, so as to not disturb him, she turned back over in bed. Her face was flushed red, and her entire body still felt very warm. Tamsin found that she really didn’t want to pull away, but rather to snuggle closer, but that was highly inappropriate and indecent.

Varick may just leave her there and go on to Ritherhithe without her if he knew!

She stood up from the bed and set about to ready for the day, thinking Varick was still in his slumber.

~~~

Malina watched with a satisfied grin as Kirsikka was shackled, and Drazhan just the very same. He didn’t put up as much of a fight as Kirsikka did, too distracted by her own antics. Not that fighting seemed to do any good.

Not with a mage who could spit fire at them.

“Pick her up,” Malina barked to the guard who had pushed Kirsikka down and shackled her. He obeyed, picking her up by the arms. Malina strode over to right in front of Kirsikka and grabbed her face, careful to make sure her nails dug into the fresh wound. “You were always a hot-headed one, weren’t you? Too bad that pathetic little disguise doesn’t give you a new personality.”

She pushed Kirsikka’s head away. “You’re lucky you’re wanted alive. Well, not for very long. Just long enough for some foolish semblance of a trial.” Her attention focused on Drazhan. “But as for your lover over here, nothing is stopping me from killing him right on the spot.”

Drazhan bit back what he really wanted to say to Malina. He didn’t want to find himself with a fire whip across his face if he could help it, but rather spend his energy figuring out an escape plan.

Even if it meant playing the waiting game.

Varick felt Tamsin pull away. Already awake, it didn’t disturb him, and he kept his breathing even and slow, playing at still being asleep as Tamsin removed herself, and then, left the bed to begin to get ready. He waited, counting down a couple of minutes, and timing it with enough noise from her to be convincing.

He opened his eyes and glanced her way, then turned away completely and cleared his throat, making his being awake clear as he felt a heat rush through his body. He heard the shuffling of clothing, but hadn’t realized Tamsin was already in the process of actively undressing. He just assumed she was picking out what she wanted.

He kept his back to her as he sat up, and rubbed at one eye to wipe sleep away.

And try to remove the pleasant image he’d caught, which he shouldn’t have caught. ‘That’s what you get for feigning sleep to avoid awkwardness.’ Even more awkwardness. Well, perhaps Tamsin didn’t notice his look and he could feign innocence.

“I’ll wait until your done,” his voice was a bit gruffer from just waking, a bit hoarse. He definitely needed a drink before they left here. Probably wouldn’t be too difficult considering Tamsin had done a good service to this inn.

He’d wait until Tamsin gave him the go ahead to turn around before he’d even think of getting off the bed. He couldn’t risk anything further. He’d seen enough that morning and more risked making his standing situation more awkward than it needed to be.

~***~

Kirsikka could have risen on her own, of course. Not that she intended to do much that would make their lives easier. With the command, she made it more difficult, limp and heavy until she was on her feet, and then she held her weight for Malina to grasp her, nails naturally digging into the open wound, but still Kirsikka refused to give her even the slightest flinch.

A bit more difficult with the shackles on. Plenty of that strength came from magical ‘mind over matter’.

‘You know well I won’t live to trial.’

Kirsikka didn’t say it but moved her head with the push and shook it out, irritated beyond words. Drazhan, it seemed, was threatened with death. Would words improve or worsen his situation? If Kirsikka suggested she cared, he was likely dead.

Lover….

Hardly.

She gave one vulnerability for Drazhan’s life, voice low and soft, anger in every syllable. Offense in every syllable. “Do not disgrace Dravon’s memory by suggesting such a thing.” Would it amuse Malina more to keep Drazhan alive for that reason alone? Perhaps. Dravon was only dead two years. Nothing, to a mage. Malina knew that. The wound of his death would be too raw to even look at anyone else, especially considering Kirsikka had yet to mourn. "One of us knows what loyalty is, and it was never you, Malina."

There had been no time to mourn.

She wouldn’t go on to say that Drazhan was nothing. That would be protesting too much.

Tamsin was nearly halfway done with dressing back into her travel clothes when she heard the throat clearing from Varick. She jumped and glanced over her shoulder to look at him, shirt instinctively clutched to her chest. He was looking the other way while sitting on the bed, but she just knew he accidentally saw her.

If she wasn’t red before, she sure was now.

Hopefully they both would ignore that and pretend the incident never happened.

And thinking the noise she made woke Varick up, she felt guilty. “Sorry if I woke you up,” she said, throwing her shirt over her head. “I hope you slept well.”

Tamsin certainly did, and a warmth spread through her as she remembered why exactly she slept so well. Curled up next to a shirtless Varick. She couldn’t simply just keep to her side of the bed, could she?

“Alright, I’m decent,” she announced, sitting on the edge of the bed to slip her shoes on.

~~~

Drazhan just needed them to survive long enough to get thrown into a cell of wherever they may take them for transport back to Trifflehem. He still had his pick that he used to free the elves from the same type of shackles now used on Kirsikka, and no doubt on him as well.

He could get them out of there. He just needed an opening, and to somehow get the pick out of his pocket.

Malina feigned pouting before it melted away. “Of course I know what loyalty is, and it’s to the Council of Light and the Ineffable One.” She smoothed out the nonexistent wrinkles in her dress and waved a hand to the guards. “Take them away and prepare them for the trip to Trifflehem. I’ve yet to decide what to do with the Primal.”

Drazhan supposed he should’ve been grateful he wouldn’t be beheaded on the spot. He still himself had a few choice words for Malina, but he bit his tongue and stayed silent. Mouthing off would do him no favors right then. He simply gave her a glare as a guard roughly grabbed him.

Varick shook his head, not looking back. He didn’t deny she woke him, of course, but said, “It’s no problem. I should have been awake sooner.” He wouldn’t mention how well he slept. Or why. Or that he’d noticed her too much throughout the night and had to be careful with his own responses. It had still been better than sleeping on the floor.

But he was sleeping on the floor next time.

When she claimed to be decent, he stood up and went back around to where his own packs were and dug through them for something cleaner to wear. One advantage of getting to Ritherhithe was being able to pay a laundry wench to get things fixed up for him, and cleaned up. Not to mention a proper bath.

“I won’t be long in getting ready,” he indicated, to suggest he was also going to need a bit of privacy to change out of his pants and into new ones, and he did wait until Tamsin took the hint and busied herself elsewhere, or just made sure she was looking away.

Sure, he didn’t mind, persay.

He’d actually probably get a kick out of Tamsin looking at him, but they were playing at modesty and moving forward. Anything she’d done in the night had been that instinctual need for warmth. Even if he was aware of her blushes and frustrations on the trip. He wasn’t going to outright encourage right then.

That was more likely to embarrass her.

And make the rest of the trip awkward.

He’d be true to his word anyways and change quickly.

~***~

‘Always conveniently forgetting your origins.’ Kirsikka didn’t say that, let Malina have her mock pout. It was enough. Drazhan lived, for now, and she’d be thrown and forgotten somewhere. It slipped her mind that Drazhan had the pick. Her thoughts for escape were far less, well, pretty. Blood was as good a lubrication as anything else in the world, after all.

The question was, did she do it now, or later? It was still quite the journey to Trifflehem.

The fact they were taken to the town’s prison answered the question for Kirsikka. ‘On the road.’ It would be easier to escape when she didn’t also have to deal with cell walls, and a town full of people who would be looking for them. Not to mention guards stationed near enough to notice displays of magic and run to get reinforcements, even if they were likely going to tune out much else.

It'd be easier to escape in the wilds, and likely more elements for Kirsikka to manipulate quick. She'd know when Malina was asleep and do it then.

Not that she was going to need anything but the void.

She was shoved in, along with Drazhan, to the same cell. Stupid. Excessively stupid. But she wouldn’t say that, she just walked to a corner, took a seat, and shut her uninjured eye. The other was still burning. Like her face where the flames hit. ‘Permanent, then.’ Or at least until she could see a healer and find out if the eye could be saved.

Oh well.

She’d lost worse things than an eye and a possible facial scar. “Rest.” She advised Drazhan.

There was no need to explain the situation.

“Of course,” Tamsin said with a nod, and turned away from Varick as he changed, much like he did with her. She had no intention of watching him get dressed, but rather give him the same privacy he gave her.

Though, in a moment of curiosity, Tamsin wondered. Not able to help herself, in a moment of naughtiness, Tamsin turned to look at Varick.

Oh.

Oh my.

She caught a glimpse of his bare backside. She quickly turned her head back around before Varick could catch her in the act. Her face flushed at the sight of such a perfect backside, and she had to will herself to cool down.

He doesn’t need to be asking why she’s so red.

“I hope you slept well,” she said, in a way to distract herself while he finished.

~~~

Similar thoughts were going through Drazhan’s mind as they were taken to the cell. Should they try an escape there and sneak out of town somehow? Should they wait until they hit the road, where maybe Kirsikka’s magic could play a bigger role? He didn’t quite understand how their magic worked, but he assumed nature played a big role.

On the road they would be surrounded by nature, as much as they would be surrounded by guards.

They were shoved into the same cell. Drazhan wanted to laugh at their stupidity. Really, a mage and a Primal in the same cell? They were asking for the prisoners to free themselves.

But Drazhan could get himself out of there on his own, without the help of a mage. He’s been in more perilous situations before.

Momentarily ignoring Kirsikka’s advice to rest, he asked, “How’s your face feeling?” It looked like a nasty scar may form. Would that also stay on her actual body? Or just the disguise?

“I can get us out of these shackles,” he then said, plopping down against the wall near Kirsikka. “Would it be easier for you to use your magic to get us out of this town, or play the waiting game?” If they played the waiting game, then they may have to deal without their horses.

He didn’t want to leave behind Bear.

Varick was blissfully unaware, but only grunted at Tamsin’s question. Again with about how he slept. What did it matter? He slept well enough. Yet he couldn’t even verbalize that because of where his thoughts went. It wasn’t that Tamsin slept all but on him, though he knew that played a role. A bed was almost always better sleeping.

But it would be better if he suggested little. He’d get away with sleeping on the floor next time if there seemed to be little difference in how he reacted. Then this wouldn’t happen to them. ‘As if there will be a next time.’

“Done,” he said, when at last he’d dressed, “I’ll get our horses and packs, if you want to try and get some food for the road,” better if she handle such things. He didn’t believe he needed to explain why as he turned around to pile his things back into his own pack so they could get back on the road.

Even if they’d figured out what he was last night – they’d respond better to Tamsin. She brought in plenty of money. Better they not remember that he was along with her while she negotiate food for the road. Better he just get the horses and have them ready for her when she was finished up with that business.

~***~

A burst of fruitless anger rose within Kirsikka as Drazhan went back to asking questions, rather than rest. Rather than wait. She didn’t want to talk about her damned face, and she didn’t know how far the guards were. Would they hear any plans to escape? Would they search Drazhan and her because he mentioned something?

Of course, she only managed an exhale to try and will the anger away, knowing how impossible that was. Her anger wasn’t really at Drazhan. Well, not all of it, at any rate. “My eye is lost, I’m certain.” The rest, she really didn’t know. The eyes were the same. The rest, not so much. The scar may not carry over. Other wounds didn’t seem to.

“The waiting game would be better,” Kirsikka honestly assumed their horses would be brought along. Not for any reason of loyalty. Horses were useful. Their supplies could be useful to the journey, as well. Possibly incriminating, but Kirsikka had more gold, and they both had mixed supplies that could aid the journey.

Not to mention, she doubted Malina wanted to be forced to stay at a walking pace all the way back to Trifflehem.

But if they did, they did. She cared for Zephyr, but some things had to be lost.

An eye. A horse. A love.

In the end, it’d be worth it all.

“If I had a mirror it would be easier. If you can conjure up a mirror and get me out of these cuffs, that will change things. I can make portals with them.” But no, she had to go and break her mirror in a fit of anger. Idiot. As it was, she’d just wait until she knew they were near water. The reflective surface would be enough in moonlight.

Last edited:
Tamsin didn’t question him further when he only graced her question with a grunt. He seemed to be a man of a few words, so she took his grunts as yes, he did sleep well enough.

She stood up and fully faced Varick once more when he deemed himself fully dressed. “I can do that,” she said with a nod and left the room. Blythe was down in the main area, just as he was the previous night.

“Well how can I help my favorite bard?” He asked, to which Tamsin beamed at him. Compliments, no matter how big or small or how often she heard them, always made her day.

“Me and my companion need some food for the road, enough to get us to Ritherhithe.” They haggled for a little bit, and Blythe was more than reasonable with the amount of coins the food she got ended up costing. She definitely got a good deal, and so she left the inn with a pleasant bye to Blythe, and went to see how Varick was fairing with the packs and the horses.

~~~

Kirsikka may want to wait, to rest, but Drazhan hated to just sit around and wait for the enemy to decide whether or not he’s worth bringing along or worth killing before they even left the village.

He wanted to do something, but he didn’t know what that something was.

And he wanted to do something to help Kirsikka’s eye, but he didn’t know that kind of healing. He could care for most cuts and lacerations, but eyes? She would need to see a healer, and the sooner, the better.

Drazhan frowned in concentration as he went silent and thought for a second. They took his sword, but they were complete idiots and didn’t check him further for smaller weapons, such as knives, of which he had two stashed away on his personage.

“I don’t know about a mirror, but I have two knives,” he said with a grin, careful to ensure his voice wasn’t too loud in case of anyone overhearing their conversation. “They’re pretty reflective.”

Keeping his head low, Varick was able to slip into the stables and briefly talk to Rosy in the darkness of the stables, who allowed him to go ahead and get Marzipan as well as Luna. She seemed cheerful that morning, but Varick didn’t offer much in the way of conversation, or look her way when addressed with questions as she tended to the other horses.

Best to continue his low profile as he got the horses all tacked up, and led them out just as Tamsin was exiting the inn. With food. “Looks like things went well,” he noted, offering Luna’s reigns to her.

This was probably the easiest stop he’d had in a long time. Nicest, too. He wasn’t going to think on that long. The reasons for why all went back to Tamsin, the proper ones and the improper ones, both. Definitely not the time to consider that.

“Is there anything else you need to get here, before we get on our way?” He was prepared, of course. There was little he ever needed to pick up from a town. He made a point of making sure to stay prepared and stocked…and to know how to stock up on his own, as he learned towns increasingly disliked Primals. Usually, the small ones were worse about that.

~***~

Kirsikka opened one eye as Drazhan mentioned knives, seeming to understand the gist of the magic. It was almost amusing. She might have smiled, if she weren’t still in pain. Yes, she could use a knife.

‘But.’

There was always that issue with magic and she took a breath. “I can use a knife. Here’s the catch.” It wasn’t a very nice catch. “I can portal us to any location I know the reflection of.” It was why she couldn’t just portal to where she wanted to be in Pomachion. “There are some streams and rivers along the way that would be close enough. We’ll be abandoning our gear, and our horses, by doing so now.”

Given, it was a sacrifice she was willing to make, and should make in a heartbeat. “I can also portal us to a town instead to restock. Distance is meaningless.” And options endless, as poor Malina would know all too well. Sure, there were ways to scry for the truth through other mirrors -- but if Malina was good at that, Kirsikka would have been caught long ago.

“But you have to consider if you’re willing to give up what you have now.” He refused to sacrifice Bear before with such vehemence, she doubted he was willing to do it now. There was almost no guarantee that Malina wouldn’t just kill the two horses out of spite, then. They were hardly worth ransoming or holding on to out of hope.

When they were on the road, it’d be significantly easier to grab the reins and pull them through a portal.

Tamsin smiled as she reunited with Varick, handing over his half of the food. “Oh yeah, I even managed to get the food for a nice deal,” she said with a nod. Blythe, like many others she encountered in smaller towns, was very nice and accommodating to the bard who brought in extra customers and coins.

She wasn’t blind to know how Varick would’ve been treated if they realized what he was. She knew how small-minded villagers could be - not that she classified them all that way, but it was the sad reality.

She was fortunate she was normal.

At Varick’s question, Tamsin shook her head. “I have everything I need right here.” She had her horse, her instruments, coins, and food. That’s all she really needed. “I’m assuming you’re ready to head out as well?”

~~~

Drazhan didn’t like the catch. He would prefer to not leave behind his horse and all his stuff. Sure, it could all be replaced, but that would cost money. Money that would be with all his stuff they would leave behind.

He rested his head against the cold wall with a sigh. It was a hard decision for sure. On one hand, they could leave now before Malina changed her mind about letting Drazhan live, and before they could gain the upperhand on the two. But on the other hand, he would be leaving everything behind. And the extra time could be spent resting and plotting.

“Let’s wait then,” he decided. “I’ll rest, like you suggested.” He closed his eyes, but no real resting would be done. He would remain highly aware of their surroundings and for anyone coming towards their cell.

His Primal senses would never let him fully relax.

He smirked, eyes still closed. “You know, this isn’t what I had in mind when I wanted to be chained up next to a pretty woman.”

With everything set to go, Tamsin and Varick ventured on from the small town and enjoyed the fresher rations while they lasted. The weather held as good, no rain or storms coming to bother them, though it remained chill. Sleeping outside still wasn’t great, but it was their fate that evening following the stay in the inn.

At least Varick had some plans that might help to keep Tamsin warm as he dismounted and began to set the camp up, “When camp is set, we can practice more of the self-defense, if you’re up for it,” he noted, adding, “I still promised to teach you a bit about escaping grapples, and better you learn it well rested.”

Not after resting on the ground.

Not that she wouldn’t learn it well, but he figured it was still better to learn things in the best state of mind possible. Although, it did cross his mind that grappling might be pushing some limits after the way he’d woken to her, he disregarded it. She wasn’t aware he knew. It would be fine.

He was used to ignoring his thoughts and urges, after all. One had to get used to these things, or they got ran out of towns even faster than usual. And that was still plenty fast enough. “If you’re not up for it any longer, we can pass on it.” And just get to Ritherhithe without any more of these interruptions.

~***~

Kirsikka shut her eye as Drazhan made his decision to wait. Not the choice she would have made, but she was partial to sight. Waiting would lessen her odds, but she had already determined it was a small price to pay for the end result. So, she would vocalize no complaints over something like a horse or supplies.

For better or worse, Drazhan was a part of this now.

Probably worse.

‘Is that how Sophia kept you in line?’

Okay, she was in too much pain to be talking if she was just going to lash out about something like this. The thought was not even playful. Just bitter. That was no way to talk about a relationship he’d lost, and she knew that. Hells, that was half of the agony of all of this, even now.

She was already used to disregarding Drazhan’s comments as anything worth humoring for long. Of course, then she might have commented on it more positively – well, by his standards, suggesting that slapping him for such comments wasn’t really a threat, played into it.

But her mind had already turned towards all those terrible dark places, and she chose silence, drawing her knees up and pressing her head against them – as best she could, where the burns didn’t protest much. Soon, the pain would die away. Then these little things like Drazhan’s piss poor attempts at flirting wouldn’t bother her.

‘Would Sophia be happy with you right now, Drazhan?’

Yet another very terrible question. It was nice he’d moved on, enough. It was a luxury she didn’t share. "Just go to sleep, Drazhan." The exhaustion was obvious, if not the irritation.

Last edited:
The journey from the small village was rather uneventful, but filled with pleasant conversation, mostly from Tamsin. Of course, there were moments when she didn’t speak and allowed the sounds of nature to dominate, as it was a beautiful day with no worries that came to them.

She wasn’t looking forward to sleeping on the ground that night, not after a warm, comfortable bed that was warm and comfortable for reasons other than the mattress. But she managed the night before, and so she was confident she could manage again, maybe with Varick’s help.

When they stopped for the evening, Varick offered to teach her some more self-defense, something she was most definitely still looking forward to doing. “Oh yes, I’m definitely still interested in learning some more from you.”

She tried not to sound too eager, lest she made things a bit more awkward, at least for herself given how she woke up that morning. “I think escaping grapples might be very important for me to learn.”

~~~

Drazhan did eventually go to sleep, despite the uncomfortable circumstances. He would say he’s been in worse situations, but that was hardly the truth. Most of his adventures didn’t lead him to a cell at the hands of a crazed mage with whom he had an unpleasant history.

He needed to rest up to be in the best possible shape he could be for when they escape on the road. He’ll need to be fast if they were to grab their horses, and thus their things, before escaping through a portal to wherever Kirsi takes them.

They were harshly woken up by guards coming into the cells and roughly grabbed. After ensuring the cuffs were on them, they were dragged out. “No need to be so rough,” he mumbled.

“Shut up, Primal. You’re lucky we’re not killing you just yet.”

Drazhan merely sighed and rolled his eyes. It seemed no one was in a good mood that morning.

Tamsin had no issues with it, though Varick did note the eagerness. It didn’t surprise him much. Even barring how she slept, she took to the other training well, and had seemed eager then to continue this. At least that enthusiasm survived the night and hadn’t been a whim. She hadn’t woken up too sore from the practice. Not that he expected that – but he’d been surprised over what made other people sore before.

‘Notably….’

He pushed that thought far back in his mind as he went about setting up the camp. “All right. Good. Glad to see you’re still interested. Still hope you never need to know much, but….” Well, the but was obvious and she’d already indicated she’d wished she’d known a few of those things before.

So, he would teach her.

“We can start with standing grapples, or ground grapples. Your choice,” he added, as he got the fire going. “Standing grapples will require a wall of some sort, but we have plenty of trees that’ll make do.” Just so she had an idea of what she was getting herself into. These were all going to be practices of escaping being pinned, really. Which meant there had to be something to pin her against.

Thankfully, the forested area provided much for that.

~***~

Kirsikka slept.

She didn’t dream. She had some suspicion the cuffs prevented dreams, but no proof. In either case, that was the single relief. Well, that, and not feeling pain while she was asleep. When she was woken, there also wasn’t much more than a dull heat, and the kind of pain that accompanied a fever that wasn’t really pain, if you listened to doctors.

Doctors who said pregnancy wasn’t painful, it was all pressure.

Kirsikka would have liked to have a word with those doctors.

As it was, it was still fairly mild enough that she opened both eyes and blinked away the bleary vision, recognizing not long after that there was really only one eye that was seeing. Shutting that eye made no difference to what she saw at all, but she kept it open anyways after discerning that and was dragged along silently out of the cell. She could guess it was clouded; her guess would be correct, the turquoise significantly paler under the mist.

Walking was also a bit more of a nuisance. Depth perception was fairly important on stairs, she learned after missing one and all but falling. One benefit of the guards – they at least kept her upright and pushed her on.

No point in protesting the treatment like Drazhan.

At least he got to live. It would probably help further some agenda against the Primals as a whole.

The sun was a new sort of pain on too-hot skin, and a sensitive eye, but Kirsikka ignored it, sought Malina and the traveling party so she could consider their numbers. She wouldn’t bother to greet Malina, nor anyone else. Drazhan was the pain – he could greet them. Maybe ask about breakfast. She was hungrier than she’d dare admit.

The guards brought them right over to Malina, of course, “They were both in cuffs. Doesn’t look like they tried anything,” the guard reported.

Tamsin hoped she’d never need to know much either, but she needed to know in the past. And she just knew that she would need to know for the future as well. She wouldn’t be able to keep someone like Varick with her on her journeys to keep her safe, unless she came across some fortunate and luck and was able to hire someone in the near future.

But what were the odds of that happening? So for now, she would have to be proactive in keeping herself safe from the vile monsters that were some humans.

And for her lesson she had the choice between standing or ground grapples. She thought it over for a second. “Well, standing grapples sound a bit easier than ground grapples.” Her mind was too far down the hole with imagining what ground grapples would be like. “So let’s do that one.”

She moved over to a nearby tree that looked wide enough for their purposes. “What do I do first?”

~~~

The two were brought before Malina, who smirked upon seeing the scars upon Kirsikka’s face. The scars she had inflicted the night before, and the damage to her eye. The damage was obvious, even if the ice mage made no comment about it. Its milky complexion was clear in that she was not able to see out of it.

“Good, at least they’re not completely stupid,” she said to the guard who brought forward the comment, as if they weren’t there. Then she turned her attention to Kirsikka. “Kirsikka, dear, I do hope your eye is better today,” she said with false niceties.

Never had Drazhan wanted to punch someone as much as he wanted to punch Malina.

But he was cuffed, and his stomach growled in the need for food. If he were to ask for something to eat, lashing out in anger first was not a good way to ensure they were fed. “I hate to interrupt the observations, but I don’t suppose some food is in the cards for us today?”

The guards around him laughed, much to his irritation, and Malina smiled. “Aww, aren’t you cute. Maybe later, if you two play nice.” She lifted a hand to wave them away. “Prepare them for the journey. Make sure they stay cuffed, especially this one,” she pointed to Kirsikka.

She knew what the ice mage was capable of, given the chance to use her powers to the fullest extent

Technically speaking, wall grapples were easier in some ways. Definitely not as easy for the one attempting it, so the one escaping did have more wiggle room. He followed after Tamsin as the fire flickered in the background, nodding at the tree she chose. It would work well enough, where they didn’t have an actual wall.

“There are a few main ways someone will grapple you against a wall,” he noted, placing his hands atop her shoulders and pushing her against it – gentle, of course, but it was still quite firm, “By the shoulders, by the throat, and by your wrists are the main ones, and they all have different ways of breaking free. None of which involve kicking.”

That was a novice mistake.

“Sure, a kick in the junk hurts. But a determined individual is just going to grip harder rather than keel over. We’re not going to demonstrate that – the real reason you don’t do it, is that it’s more likely you’ll lose balance doing it, and worsen your position.”

They were close. Quite close, he realized, as he moved his gaze from his hands, to her face, still beneath his, but so much closer. He took in a breath, ignoring her scent that he’d gotten far too used to last night. “If someone grabs you by the shoulders as I am, you can twist one of your arms inward, so it’s between the two of you, and slam you palm up into their chin, or their nose.”

He nodded, “Practice just kind of rolling your shoulder and moving your arm, slow. Get used to the movement. It’s a bit of an awkward one, and you’ll have to learn to be quick.” Though he wasn’t aiming to get hurt now and have her slam her palm into his chin. He just wanted her to get the feel for how that move would go.

~***~

Playing nice was not something Kirsikka did, but she played defeated in her defiant silence through the trip. One day passed, with minimal food, and a return to the forest. She noticed the yellow flowers. ‘If you’re aware, help.’ Not that it was in the cards, not that it was asked for, and Kirsikka wouldn’t count on it.

What could she count on anymore? Save the stupid Primal at her side who was now forced into this by association. Even if they parted ways, he’d always be marked. He should have left her side. She felt a terrible guilt for it, a guilt that played well with her despondent and defeated appearance through the second day. Her false form also faded, revealing her sight didn't improve when she transitioned to normal, although the scars left her face. One blessing.

She half-hoped she had convinced Drazhan of such defeat by ignoring him. His looks, silent questions, everything – the entire world may as well have been dead to her. Of course, it was all a ploy to convince Malina that she was defeated when she wasn’t. Oh no – she imagined the ways Malina would die too much to be defeated.

That third night, they camped around flowers, the prisoners still kept together when dismounted. Kirsikka let herself droop against Drazhan, head bowed, posture exhausted.

But she finally spoke as her fingers grazed his, “One joke, and I let us go all the way to Trifflehem.” She really, really couldn’t take a damn joke, and she knew he’d want to make one, “I can get out of these cuffs but I need lubrication. I need you to break the skin over my wrists.” Blood was as good a lubrication as any, and all she had.

She didn’t know Drazhan still had the lockpicks.

Last edited:
Lightly pinned against the tree, Tamsin thought she would be completely fine with it, maybe even think a thought or two she definitely shouldn’t be thinking with Varick so near, but a memory flashed in her head.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

She had to stop herself from devolving into memories that were more than just unpleasant.

He’s not Roland. He’s not Roland.

Tamsin came back to the present, but not missing anything Varick said to her, nor giving away that anything was amiss. She would be a good student, and learn what she could to prevent a horrible situation again.

She nodded at his words. “Don’t kick. Use my arms, got it.” And as directed, she rolled her dominant shoulder, feeling the awkward movement at first and not quite getting it that time. So she practiced again, moving her shoulder and her arm inwards. “Like that?”

~~~

Unlike Kirsikka, Drazhan refused to play defeated. It wasn’t who he was. He kept his head up, glares occasionally sent in Malina’s direction, who ignored them all with a smirk, and sent concerned looks toward Kirsikka, who acted differently than what he was used to.

There was no way she would give up that easily, would she? Not when they have a plan. Not when there was still hope of escaping.

No, it had to be a ruse she simply did not tell him about. So he let her be until finally he got the signal he had been looking for.

She leaned against him, and her fingers grazed his, which he was about to comment on in a way Kirsikka wouldn’t have liked until she spoke of that very thing. And spoke of needing blood to lubricate her way out of the cuffs.

Drazhan hardly thought they needed to go that far. “I have something better.” He pulled his hands away from hers for a minute to reach into a pocket, mindful of the guards around the campsite, to pull out his lockpick. “I think this may be better than causing bodily harm.”

He put one hand in hers, to make it seem like they were closer than they let on, but Drazhan used that ploy to hide the picking of the lock on Kirsikka’s cuffs.

“Mmm,” Varick hummed, feeling the movement under his hand and watching how she moved her arm. “Yes, and practice will make it fluid. The rolling of the shoulder is to help you get your arm inwards. It’s not needed, but I find it helps get a better strike. But if time is more important, you can also go without it. The point is getting your hand up quickly to strike them, and lots of times,” he let go of one of her shoulders, and moved that hand to her arm.

Which, he put along her side. She had seemed a little distracted, so he thought a bit more of an explanation might help. He knew it wasn’t all intuitive. That’s why people kicked out. That was intuitive. And wrong.

Intuition was shit sometimes.

“Your arm is here. And that’s fine when it’s not being held down or against a wall, but when it is, it’s not as easy to move it how you want.”

He let go of here arm, and put his hand right back on her shoulder. “So try making the strike up at me. Not hard. I don’t need to deal with a bloody nose,” he smirked, a little, to show he was partially joking…and partially serious.

“It doesn’t really take much to break a nose. That’s why it’s one of the places you want to keep in mind to aim for.” Not even for a Primal. It was still a terribly unpleasant situation. It hurt. It made breathing difficult. The blood wasn’t fun to smell. Or to bubble up.

No, he’d rather not deal with that.

“Once you get that down, we can try a few others.”

~***~

No joke. No blood. Drazhan had been able to keep a lot of items on his person, which Malina was going to regret very, very soon. Just as soon as Kirsikka felt the cuffs release, which took a little bit given Drazhan didn’t have line of sight, but he still got it done.

‘Now….’

She needed to get the cuffs away from her person. They were still going to hinder her magic. She slipped her hands out, and considered just getting up, and walking away from the tree. Let Drazhan stay near the cuffs, and obliterate everything in front of her. The act already seemed written in her mind.

Easy. So very easy. ‘Yes. But first.’ First the portal. Because she was going to be exhausted when that happened and she had enough rational to realize that. She didn’t bother asking Drazhan for a knife, though – there was water boiling over a fire, “Stay. Or move to Bear.” She rose, hands behind her back as if still bound, and walked to that pot.

“Hey, you’re not—”

He grabbed her shoulder – of course he did – but she’d already looked into the water with her good eye and envisioned where she wanted to go. One hand shot out and the water rushed out of the pot, forming that portal besides the tree, reflecting only what was around it, rather than its actual destination.

“Oh shi—” he let go on instinct, backed away. A very stupid, stupid instinct.

Malina~” it was in a sing-song that Kirsikka called, with no smile on her face, in her eyes, or even in that false cheerful tone. She probably shouldn’t have even given her a warning, but she wanted to see Malina’s face when she realized how utterly fucked she was.

This time there was no banshee shriek.

This time there was a sudden stillness of everything in front of her (and she was careful to make sure Drazhan and the horses were behind), before the gust came from behind and washed over everything ahead, freezing on contact. Whatever water was in the air, froze – and whatever water in the blood, in the lungs, in anything – froze. The natural shriek of that chill wind sufficed in Kirsikka’s defiance, as limbs cracked and creaked, before falling from trees, and grass and flowers were frozen in their prime.

The elves might be upset with a part of the woods nuked, but they could have helped before now.

Tamsin tried to not let Varick’s hand on her arm distract her too much. It was difficult, when she could so easily feel the warmth of his hand through the fabric of her clothes. She almost missed what he said, again, but for an entirely different reason than just a few moments ago.

I’m really going to suffer when we try grappling on the ground.

She nodded, “Strike up at the nose, but not hard. I don’t think that’ll be terribly difficult for me.” She wasn’t the strongest person, but at the right angle and the right amount of force, she was certain she could break Varick’s nose if she tried. But she didn’t want to do that.

So she did what he told her. Tamsin moved her arm and aimed her hand up at his nose in a mock attack, careful to not even leave any bruising. “Can’t mess up that pretty nose of yours.” She flushed when she realized what she said. Called his nose pretty.

Oh she wasn’t going to survive the night. That Tamsin felt deeply.

~~~

The moment Kirsikka was freed, Drazhan set to undo his own cuffs. It took a moment, not only because he was watching to see what Kirsikka did, but also because he didn’t exactly have a line of sight to the cuffs behind his back.

Once he freed himself, Drazhan quickly moved to Bear, remaining behind Kirsikka the entire time. The entire time she moved over to the boiling pot of water, the entire time she called forth her powers and froze the forest to any icy wasteland.

Malina didn’t even have the time to properly react to Kirsikka’s escape before she realized what was happening, and how fucked she was. The mage quickly threw up of wall of fire that surrounded and protected her from the icy warpath.

“You bitch,” she hissed, using her strength and stamina to keep the wall up as she felt the ice trying to penetrate her fiery inferno barrier. She vowed that the next time she met Kirsikka, she wouldn’t be so nice.

Drazhan meanwhile watched in awe at the display of Kirsikka’s powers, before he shook himself back to the present. He grabbed Bear’s reins and moved closer to the portal. Though not knowing exactly how they worked, he didn’t go through yet, waiting for Kirsikka to join him. What if the portal closed after he went through? What if Kirsikka didn’t have the energy to make another one?

So he waited to help her through the portal if need be.

Tamsin did try, as instructed.

Slow.

No attempt to really harm.

When she spoke about that, he couldn’t help but arch an eyebrow at the rational. ‘That’s a new one.’ He was pretty sure his nose had never been called pretty. He was pretty sure he’d never been called pretty. Lots of other things, some complimentary, but pretty hadn’t found itself amongst the numerous descriptors.

“Well, haven’t heard that one before,” he responded calmly to the odd compliment. “At least we’re on the same page.” He agreed, and let her practice a few more, before nodding, and shifting the placement of his hands, taking both of hers in his, and pinning them above her head. "You're getting it in that situation, so let's try this one."

‘In another situation….’ No, he was going to teach.

“When you’re being held by the throat, the idea is fairly similar although I’ll teach you a few different strategies as well,” he noted, “but when you don’t have your hands to work with, you do have to resort to using your legs, without losing your balance.” Always the problem, “You’ll want to lean back into the tree to brace yourself, and then you’re going to end up putting all your weight there, draw your legs up and kick straight out with both. It should get them to let you go or at least unpin you from the wall when they’re forced back by the kick.”

He sighed, realizing, “There’s no easy way to do this one, so just do it.”

Tamsin couldn’t exactly slowly bring her legs up, keep her balance against the tree, and stretch her legs out in a kick fashion. He’d just have to prepare to take a kick to his gut, at least once, if not a few more times.

~***~

The ice was quick; that was why it was so effective. A sudden drop, a sudden freezing of everything, but of course Malina had to throw up a fiery barrier in time to avert much damage to herself. Kirsikka could imagine what the heat of it had to be to even survive the gust and the ice, keeping Malina safe enough, whereas everything else was ruined.

The trees would die.

The grass, too.

The blades snapped underfoot when the chill abated, and Kirsikka took a step towards Malina, wanting to finish it off, before catching Drazhan out of the corner of her eye. ‘No.’ She couldn’t. The fever was already rising, and if she fell unconscious, there’d be no closing the portal. Pointless.

She straightened up and turned from Malina. “I hope you enjoy explaining this.” She could collapse on the other side. Away from Malina’s sight. She whistled for Zephyr, and the horse came trotting over, free of its reigns, or never tied up, Kirsikka didn’t care to ask right then. Zephyr knew portals and walked through without hesitation, Kirsikka only a few steps behind.
True to her thoughts, she did collapse on the other side. She steadied herself against Zephyr and turned a bit towards the portal to shut it as soon as Drazhan came through, disregarding Zephyr’s whinnying of discomfort. She was putting off too much heat – she knew that. She’d absorbed too much.

‘Wait this isn’t where….’

The thought only occurred when Drazhan made it through and she shut the portal, shutting the escape back – as if one were needed – before she slumped to the ground and Zephyr moved away.

The elves had messed with her portal, putting it closer to Elphyne rather than her actual destination. Approaching immediately was not in the minds of the elves, but that would be their intent soon enough. They knew well enough not to approach after what had just occurred; best to give the strangers in their woods a bit of space.

Tamsin was going to die of embarrassment. That she just knew.

Of course Varick had to comment on her own little comment, but fortunately that was it. No further teasing. Nothing that made her want to further sink into the ground and be forgotten.

But oh, when he pinned her hands above her head, many thoughts went through her head. Most of them were not appropriate for the situation. Is he even closer than before? She could almost touch his body with her own, and some deviant part of her wanted him to close that distance between them.

And now he wanted her to kick him.

“But I don’t want to hurt you,” she frowned. Tamsin imagined a Primal like Varick could take a punch or two, but that didn’t mean she wouldn’t feel guilty for bruising him in any capacity, even if it was by invitation. She sighed.

This was not what she wanted to do in this position.

“Okay, I apologize in advance if I hurt you.” As instructed, Tamsin leaned back against the tree and used what strength she had to bring her legs up and deliver a hard kick into Varick’s stomach.

~~~

Neither one would hear the scream of frustration and sheer hatred as they disappeared through the portal and it dissipated behind them.

Drazhan didn’t immediately pay attention to where they were. He focused on Kirsikka, who began to look just as bad as that night the dealt with the Rakshasa. She looked just as tired, and he could sense the toll the magic took on her.

It didn’t take a genius to see she wasn't doing well at the moment, which doubled as she slumped to the ground.

Drazhan quickly moved over to her and kneeled by her side.

“I know asking if you’re okay may be a stupid question right now,” he chuckled. “But do you need anything?” Food and water was about all he could offer her, now that they had their packs back. Protection while she slept was another thing on the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back