Other PLAYSTATION VS. XBOX

Malz

To die, post “[x] Suicide"
More specifically,

PS4 VS. XBOX ONE.

I have been really interested in buying a new console for myself, but i honestly dont know which one is better? This last console I have played on was a Nintendo 64. 
Emoticon1-ClosedEyesOpenSmile.png

Let's have a debate on the pros and cons of each console and/or any perks one console has on the other. 

( Also, lets keep this thread nice okay! I know some of you players are really hostile!!  :P )

343c2a214ab4d8e526a3b2b45664aa2a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful, I can feel a console war coming on and a bunch of PC zealots coming in here to troll. In my opinion they're both equally good, it also depends on what games you wanna play cuz there are console exclusives

Be careful, I can feel a console war coming on and a bunch of PC zealots coming in here to troll. In my opinion they're both equally good, it also depends on what games you wanna play cuz there are console exclusives

I know!! But, i just want to see which way this community sways to.   Horizon: Zero Dawn is a PS4 exclusive, I probably end up buying a PS4 to be honest. 

I know!! But, i just want to see which way this community sways to.   Horizon: Zero Dawn is a PS4 exclusive, I probably end up buying a PS4 to be honest. 

This community is actually kind cut into perfect thirds when it comes to consoles honestly. Luckily a lot, not all, people are respectful of another's console choices. If you wanna play zero dawn then I believe you may answered your own question, but! Do weigh in the other games you wish to play as well. ^33^  

This community is actually kind cut into perfect thirds when it comes to consoles honestly. Luckily a lot, not all, people are respectful of another's console choices. If you wanna play zero dawn then I believe you may answered your own question, but! Do weigh in the other games you wish to play as well. ^33^  

Cool, its nice to see each console (and PC) is equally loved and appreciated! I'll definitely look at other console exclusives! Thanks for the advice and the heads up for the war I've just created!!  ^_^

Cool, its nice to see each console (and PC) is equally loved and appreciated! I'll definitely look at other console exclusives! Thanks for the advice and the heads up for the war I've just created!!  ^_^

Haha no ones yelling yet so I think crisis averted?

I like the PlayStation Four better but I'm no expert. Xbox controllers just feel awkward to me. 

They both have their ups and downs, both have some good games. 

PC MASTER RACE

But I prefer PS4 because Xbone controllers are freaking massive and make me feel like I have baby hands. And also kingdom Hearts + Persona 5.

More specifically,

PS4 VS. XBOX ONE.

I have been really interested in buying a new console for myself, but i honestly dont know which one is better? This last console I have played on was a Nintendo 64. 

Let's have a debate on the pros and cons of each console and/or any perks one console has on the other. 

( Also, lets keep this thread nice okay! I know some of you players are really hostile!!  :P )

View attachment 244176

In terms of the pros and cons of each console, it is much more a matter of software these days than hardware. For a time each system's respective generation differed in several key hardware facets such as processing power, hard drive space, and graphical capacity. These days they have both evolved so completely that their specifications are almost negligible. Each has grown from somewhat separate capabilities into the same height of development. Only small details such as controller size or console graphics processing versus server-side graphics processing exist in any visible capacity.

As many others have already mentioned in this thread, the key is paying attention to the trend of console exclusives. Both systems have studios that back them exclusively, so even if a specific game is not out yet but it may loom on the horizon, it is good to know which studios are exclusive to your console! A simple cursory google search of "game developers exclusive to [console]" should provide you all you need to know on that front.

It is also fair to see which genres of games a console releases on average. In my humble experience, it tends to seem like Playstation releases more RPG and Adventure exclusives where Xbox pushes their shooters fairly reliably. This is just an observation from my experience, but I am certain a quick search could provide you a nice compiled table or chart of data on the subject of "games released by genre for consoles."

I am not certain if any of this is helpful, or if it is just regurgitated information I've expanded upon. Either way, I wish you the best of luck!

I don't own either yet, but for me it doesn't matter because it comes down to the company itself. I'll always be Playstation, because Sony is the superior company for numerous reasons.

1. To be fair, I have a bit of a bias toward Sony. I played and owned a Playstation before Xbox was even a thing. So that factors in, but I'm about to explain why that bias exists.
  2. Sony has always been more reliable product and brand. Going back to Xbox vs PS2, Sony consoles have always run smoother, with less issues and problems.
  3. Backward Compatability. While this might not be what it used to be, up until PS3 it was great feature, and the PS2 was 100% backward compatible with the PS1, controllers, games, memory cards, etc.
  4. Sony gives a shit. They offered free online for so long, no strings attached. Their controllers have never been battery-powered, unless it's some special or cheap model. Xbox is insanely indifferent and money-hungry. Almost everything about the Microsoft business model is designed to maximize your cost. IF you require examples:
  • Battery powered controllers (not all, but that was a Xbox thing for so long on 360)
  • Low-end hard drive models that require immediate upgrading
  • Phantom memory cards no one seems to know how or where to buy
  • That annoying connector piece from Xbox & 360 controllers that was so easy to lose.
  • Xbox Live Membership
  • Red Ring of Death
  • Old school disk tray that jammed and broke easily
  • Crap quality controller with battery packs that wore down and became loose

That's just off the top of my head, lol.

I don't own either yet, but for me it doesn't matter because it comes down to the company itself. I'll always be Playstation, because Sony is the superior company for numerous reasons.

1. To be fair, I have a bit of a bias toward Sony. I played and owned a Playstation before Xbox was even a thing. So that factors in, but I'm about to explain why that bias exists.
  2. Sony has always been more reliable product and brand. Going back to Xbox vs PS2, Sony consoles have always run smoother, with less issues and problems.
  3. Backward Comparability. While this might not be what it used to be, up until PS3 it was great feature, and the PS2 was 100% backward compatible with the PS1, controllers, games, memory cards, etc.
  4. Sony gives a shit. They offered free online for so long, no strings attached. Their controllers have never been battery-powered, unless it's some special or cheap model. Xbox is insanely indifferent and money-hungry. Almost everything about the Microsoft business model is designed to maximize your cost. IF you require examples:
  • Battery powered controllers (not all, but that was a Xbox thing for so long on 360)
  • Low-end hard drive models that require immediate upgrading
  • Phantom memory cards no one seems to know how or where to buy
  • That annoying connector piece from Xbox & 360 controllers that was so easy to lose.
  • Xbox Live Membership
  • Red Ring of Death
  • Old school disk tray that jammed and broke easily
  • Crap quality controller with battery packs that wore down and became loose

That's just off the top of my head, lol.

You make good points about the older generations, but I would like to point out your information is almost completely out of date. Whether it is because Xbox has gotten better, Playstation has gotten worse, or a blend of both, things have changed.

1. Statistically peaking, reliability from XboxOne to PS4 is now within negligible margins of one another --which is to say neither of them are exactly "made like they used to" be anymore.
  2. Backwards compatibility has been scrapped from both systems in favor of a new library system where old games can be purchased digitally and emulated from the console market. These systems are nearly identical between PS4 and Xbox. Admittedly in terms of raw number of games available and price, PS4 seems to beat out the XboxOne at a glance.
  3. Playstation no longer features free online like it used to. The free version functions much like Xbox Live Silver does. Both are rather pointless and do very little to impact your experience. PS+ and Xbox Live are now almost required if you desire any of the worthwhile features of your system, or at least "worthwhile" as it is defined in my head.
  4. PS4 controllers are worse in their track record for quality and longevity this time around. XboxOne controllers can be plugged in indefinitely and you can purchase rechargeable packs to swap if you would rather not use regular disposable batteries. PS4 controllers are charge only, and when they are completely dead (which is surprisingly quickly with regular use) they must be replaced for a rather expensive cost. Truthfully I would take a wired controller with the option of wireless over an always wireless controller that will fail (even when plugged in) when the battery gives up.
  5. Both baseline hard drives are awful, but it matters a great deal less when your game library is stored on a cloud (as it is with both, I believe) and can be installed and uninstalled at your discretion.

I am not trying to beat your preference down, I hope you understand. I myself own both, so this is strictly objective and using study data from online sources. I just want to make sure that correct information is what weighs the decision on a console. 

I think it would be better if we just had one console. That's it, no seperation, no other consoles, just one. Pc gaming will always be its own thing though

No worries. I was strictly comparing the motives, practices, and values of each company from my personal experience, and the reputation of each company.

I think it would be better if we just had one console. That's it, no seperation, no other consoles, just one. Pc gaming will always be its own thing though

Yeah, Playstation. :P

Give us Halo, and rest in pieces.

All jokes aside, I run on a 360 right now. Last Christmas I met my brother in-law for the first time. He gave me his old 360 (a sentimental item for him) as a gift. He didn't know I think it's a glorified paperweight. :P  lol I did appreciate the sentiment and still use it. But I'm not a hardcore gamer anymore, because I'm not rushing out to buy a PS3 or PS4. I bought Legendary Skyrim for 360, lol.

I mostly use it for Netflix.

Not gonna lie PS4 controllers, albeit they are super sleek and comfortable to use, have really bad durability compared to their Xbox counter parts nowadays. So there's that. I don't think thats a game changer though because honestly PS+ just offers so much more than Xbox Live for half the price. I'd take my the PS4 over XB1 almost anyday.

Obligatory PC comment

In seriousness though, I've been leaning to PS4 as of late. I've had an Xbox One for at least one year longer, but I'm starting to see better games come out on PS4, and I like the design overall more.

Be careful, I can feel a console war coming on and a bunch of Masterrace representatives coming in here to show you the error of your peasantly ways. In my opinion they're both subpar hardware. It also depends on what games you wanna play, because there are console exclusives.

I fixed it for you. 

Now for the serious comment:

Buy the one your friends have. It sucks if you own a PS4 and they play XBOX. On the other hand, if you play solo a lot, the PS4's hardware is a little better and frankly I like the sony software better as well. Controllers are a non-issue now.  Nacon released a PS4 controller that has the XBOX stick layout and extra buttons. Good stuff.  Plus PS4 has God of War and Horizon: Zero dawn. 

I fixed it for you. 

Now for the serious comment:

Buy the one your friends have. It sucks if you own a PS4 and they play XBOX. On the other hand, if you play solo a lot, the PS4's hardware is a little better and frankly I like the sony software better as well. Controllers are a non-issue now.  Nacon released a PS4 controller that has the XBOX stick layout and extra buttons. Good stuff.  Plus PS4 has God of War and Horizon: Zero dawn. 

That's both bothersome and funny at the same time, I commend you for that

My guidelines for console recommendations go as such;

1) What games are you interested in? If you have another platform, how many of them are available on what you currently own? With the new consoles sharing a similar architecture with gaming PCs there's a lot of shared titles, particularly from the indie scene, but third-party console exclusives aren't really a thing like they have been in the past unless its a matter of funding (Bayonetta 2, Bloodborne, Street Fighter V, etc).

2) What do your friends play?

3) How much time do you actually have to play games? If it's either quite a bit or not a lot instead of an average amount it impacts the kinds of suggestion I'd make.

PC, PS4, and XB1 are all equally viable at this point - though I'd recommend holding off on getting an XB1 until we hear more of Scorpio, but I digress. Controllers are a non-issue thanks to third-party alternatives. Games with Gold and PS+ are both hit or miss depending on the month. I will give an edge to XB1 in that I feel they handled backwards compatibility better - PS Now is overpriced and input delay can really ruin the experience if your connection isn't ideal. If you were already heavily invested in the 360 that's a bonus.

Then there's the Switch which I feel has a lot of potential, but time will tell. So my opinion as it stands is this.

If you have a low amount of time to game either get;

- PC, PS4, or XB1. (Highest amount of options in terms of software for a single platform, choose based on multiplayer with friends and preference in exclusives.)

or

- Switch. (Highest amount of exclusives due to the console being fundamentally different. Lot of the company's multiplayer titles have a ridiculously long lifespan and I've known a lot of the more light enthusiasts of this hobby to be content to play Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, and the like for years. However, the very real possibility of software droughts makes this difficult to recommend as one's only console if they're planning to sink a large amount of time into gaming weekly.)

If you have a high amount of time to game and are okay doubling down on platforms;

- PC, PS4, or XB1. (Decide on the same factors as above.)

and

- Switch. (A lot of the issues mentioned with having this as an only platform are resolved by having another option to turn to. With all of the other platforms homogenized it makes this a great supplemental choice if you're into the company's offerings. Or handhelds.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back