Other Philosophy: Is There A Greater Good?

@Loco Mofo Earth is one planet out of many. The universe is infinite, and there may be other planets that are like earth, or may become like earth with human aid.

You're missing the point, entirely.

@Windsock Space is not necessarily empty of life as we know it. Scientists now lean more toward, "It's a mathematical guarantee that other life exists in the universe."

We had our chance, here on our planet, and we killed it. What makes you think we have the right to go out and destroy others?

Luckily for the Cosmos, humans can't make it past pluto in their lifespan.

I recently had an in depth conversation with one of my professors about how different demographics view non-religious higher order morality and, given that I have a basic grasp of the demographics of this site, I am curious. I am not asking for an in depth explanation of your beliefs, (though I might if it interests me) but if I were to ask you, is there such a thing as a "true moral code" or a "greater good", what would you answer? To clarify, is there a secular set of morals that inherently trumps other morals, or are ethics entirely relative depending on one's background? Please leave a reply with your answer! :)  

I believe that morality is clear and absolute. It's not subjective, it's objective.

I'll give an example in my religion. The Ten Commandments. That's as clear as things can get.

Greater goodThe benefit of the public, of more people than oneself; that which is better and more correct.

Strictly adhering to its definition, an objective greater good does exist. To an extent, a society is a form of greater good, with the ( supposed) aim of safeguarding large groups of people from the lawless anarchy where the only rule is the survival of the fittest. Of course, the traditional concept of a society stems from ancient times. There are argumentations which direct us to rethink what a society is and what is really necessary to ensure the progress and continued survival of humanity as a whole. Society, as it exists today, imposes significant restrictions on our proggress, in such terms that one could argue that modern societies go against the greater good. Such arguments go into topics such as geopolitics, globalism, the influence of religion, etc.  This is an entirely different discussion. 

Point is: Greater good does exist. The notion that actions can be undertaken to "make the world a better place", is enough to constitute a greater good. Altruism as a whole is a greater good, because you do things that benefit others than yourself. What one must be aware of is that the contents of a greater good is realtive. Different people have different and sometimes opposing views on the greater good. The religious people amongst you will likely see their religion as promoting a vision on the greater good. Others will see it in scientific pursuits.  

I therefore disagree on the objectivity of a morality. Especially one of religious origins. Belief is not equal to fact, regardless whether something is formulated as an absolute. 

I'd consider these "Natural Rights" which are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Every human being is entitled to this self preservation and rights to live a happy and healthy life. Morality is subjective, but there is a general consensus on what is "acceptable" in society and not, regardless of if laws are applied to the land. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Why focus on the greater good? 

Have some initiative and go for the greatest good, no, the ultimate good. 

The one good.

The One good to rule them all, one good to find them, One good to bring them all and in the goodness bind them. 

Or just be a hedonist like me, good way to do it~! 

Here's my answer.

Alright, not *my* answer per se, but one that I subscribe to.

FGaZjJD.png

okdrQum.jpg

E8SatZs.jpg

ibNlWS8.jpg

Here's my answer.

Alright, not *my* answer per se, but one that I subscribe to.

FGaZjJD.png

okdrQum.jpg

E8SatZs.jpg

ibNlWS8.jpg

An interesting point. Also the primary reason morality is considered to have metaphysical components as well as empirical. Fortunately humans do not operate and make decisions entirely based on the laws of science, or else I shudder to think what would become of our species.

I do believe there is a general "greater good", more or less programmed into our biology. That is, survival of the species, or rather, self-preservation under the pretense of reproducing to further the survival of the species. It's basically programmed into every living thing, so who's to disagree that it's not a universal, secular truth of morality? Anyone who goes out of their way to cause harm to individuals, and inadvertently the species, is morally in the wrong. 

But that's a very basic way of looking at it. 

Hm.

I would think so, maybe. But that sounds pretty familiar somehow... Somewhat... Asian. 

OH I KNOW!

for the greater weaboo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back