Party 3

Azgard moves himself into a position to try to fire off an Eldrich blast into the ghoul, but because of the close proximity, the beam missed and made a mark on the ground next to its head.

While the ghoul struggles in the grasp of the robed man, Fargrim finds an opening and strikes down his mace and it cracks the undead's skull. He smiles a good smile when he hears the loud crack, but the body of the ghoul twitches and resumes to struggle. Seeing this horrible monster still clawing and wrestling even after his head was crushed makes him flinches and steps back a few feet.

Last edited:
With the smoldering ghoul on the ground, Rasghull follows Thia into the next room. Rasghull sees that one ghoul is left struggling with Azgard and Fargrim. He runs around Thia and backhand swings at the ghoul, knocking it unconscious with the flat side of his scimitar before it can bite them. The combat left him winded. He slowly leans against the wall and rubs the area where a ghoul’s claws caught his scales a moment ago.

Rasghull nods at Fargrim. You look just as lost as we are.
Then at the ghoul he incapacitated. Do you mind helping me tie this thing up? Maybe it can tell us what’s going on around here.

"I have three questions for you. Where are we? Who are you people? Why are we here?"

Says Fargrim while he help tying down the ghouls motionless body. Then he look at Rasghull and say,

"This are mindless undead, I doubt they had anything useful, better if we kill it now."

Fargrim looks at the woman who just pulled an orb and causing the shadow to appeared.

"Goddamnit, do you want to get us all killed?!"

Fargrim drops the ghouls body and holding his shield up and heads toward the shadows.

"Begone you pitiful shadows, you are no match with the Queen's fury!"

And with that display of power, three of five shadows begins to slither toward the corner of the room. While two brave enough to challenge The Bitch Queen still unfazed.

"Attack those two first!", yell Fargrim while pointing at the two unnaffected shadows.

As the others handled the remaining ghoul Thia walked up to the statue of a man she didn't know. She wondered if it was a depiction of this Strahd person she has heard about a couple of times while searching this house. She looked to the orb in the statue's hand, and while thinking about the money she needed to scribe her spells, took the orb with her mage hand and put it in her bag. As soon as she did so however five shadows appeared in the room. Thia flinched when the dwarf yelled at her, but saw his divine power when he turned three of the shadows away from the room. She looked back to the two remaining shadows and shot three magic missiles at one of them, striking the shadow with all three of them. It's form starts to become unstable but it still looks to be active.

Rasghull braces himself as these monsters attack Fargrim. With all of their attention on the dwarf, Rasghull sees an opening for himself. He circles around the shadows to strike one from behind. Thia’s arcane bolts already weakened his target. His blade slices effortlessly through the shadow, whose wispy form does not seem to bleed like ordinary creatures.
Call me Rasghull. I was sorta hoping you could tell us why we’re here.

Azgard smiles at the Rasghull, as he continued the conversation while fighting.

“And I’m Azgard! Nice to meet you....” Azgard paused to fire off a blast at the wispy shadow, striking it directly in the chest before it imploded into nothingness. “What did you say your name was?”

"My name is Fargrim. Are you by chance be the men that Lady Morwen sent to track down werewolves?"

Fargrim replies to the group of strangers while try to strike at the shadow, but its amorphous body easily moves around his mace and dodges the attack.

Thia looks over to the last shadow and shoots a fire bolt at it, the shadow seems to move it's entire form around it though and it misses. Thia grumbles to herself, then looks to Fargrim. "Sort of....I'm the last one of the original group sent to find the Duchess's daughter, half of our group got separated when the mists transported us here, then the one I was with got taken by a man into the mists and didn't return....." Thia sighed quietly, thinking about how it quickly all went wrong, before continuing. "Everyone else you see here have been picked up since my journey into here, people like you, because they were alone and needed to band together with others. We are all trying to get out of this mess alive."

A blade cuts through the darkness before the party, as Rasghull takes another swing at the shadow from behind. Rasghull is having a hard time even telling when his strikes land on the creature or miss. There is no resistance at all during the swing. The monster is not making any noise either. Rasghull tightens his grip on his shield before it can strike again.

Azgard fires another blast into the last shadow, bringing a bolt of energy coursing through its entire embodiment. The shadow withers from the pain, but somehow still hangs onto life.

"So basically you're the only one alive from the original group, and all this people just like me spontaneously summoned to this fucking nightmare?"

Fargrim tries to attack the shadow but without success. He concludes that these shadow is basically untouchable with physical attack, and so he back up a few feet , shield still upfront to deflect incoming attacks.

Thia sees what the shadow did to her friend, and feels both guilty for being the reason this happened, but also angry that a creature could do something like that to someone she trusted. She looked at the shadow with an angry glare as she shot three magic missiles into it. The first one blew a giant hole in it's wispy form, which was probably enough to kill it. It didn't stop the other two missiles from blowing two more holes into it, leaving it a shredded shadowy form that dissipated quickly after. Thia sighed out loud as she slumped to the floor and rested her back against the wall. "Let's take a rest guys, we haven't had one in a while and we are getting pretty beat up. If it helps I only need to be in my trance for four hours, so I can watch us the rest of the time."

Fargrim sighs, "Okay folks, we can take some time to talk about this, so a rest is a good idea."

He looks at Rasghull, "And i don't know what the hell that shadow did to him. We should really take a breather, probably should move outta here cause those three shadows probably would come back to this room."

“I agree,” Azgard chimed in as he walked over to Rasghull. He reached out a hand to help the Dragonborn to his feet, “let’s head upstairs friends.”

Azgard moved into the room they came from before encountering the ghouls. Carne’s body still remained in a puddle of blood. Before seeing him, Azgard thought there might be a chance that he was just unconscious, but the gore of the scene told otherwise. He began removing necessary items from the barbarian’s bag and placed them on the table.

“Friends, please take what we might need from our fallen. He will not need them anymore.” Azgard dragged the heavy body to the corner of the room and began praying in Infernal. His voice was quiet and coarse, but still resonated through the room. He sat in front of the body as it lied face down. As his prayer ended, a controlled fire burned between Azgard’s hands. Carefully, the flames engulfed the body, burning it down to ash within seconds. The flame calmed and turned to only embers that floated away to nothing.

Azgard removed a tome from his heavy backpack, and continued his prayer as he spread Carne’s ashes within the pages. Replacing the book, Azgard stood and gestured the team to lead them upstairs.

Rasghull can barely concentrate on anything. The pain is too much to even think straight. Upstairs to safety. But the ghoul. It has to know something.
Give me a minute. I just need a minute.

Rasghull reaches to the side of his backpack and pulls out his coil of rope, a hammer, and a pair of pitons. He gets to work.

He binds the unconscious monster with the rope, leaving enough length on its left and right sides to tie a knot through the two piton eyeholes.

Thia takes a long look at his work before deciding to help. He seems desperate to get it done and If it has to get done, it may as well get done quickly.

They work wordlessly hammering the pistons into cracks on the wall. Rasghull takes a last moment tugging the rope, wearily checking their handiwork.

They wait for him to finish and they head upstairs to find a quiet room to camp for the night.

After Thia helped Rasghull, which she did to distract herself from the burning going on in the other room, she went to the table of things after it was all over and took the torches, rations, and gold, hoping Carne would understand. "We can go rest in the children's room upstairs, hopefully the shadows won't find us there." She said to the group at they started ascending the stairs and making their way to a more familiar part of the house. Meanwhile Thia counted all the gold she had collected, plus the grey orb, in her head and found that she now had enough to scribe one of the scrolls she had, once they found some sort of town out there.

Fargrim finally has his rest, his body are aching after the fight with ghouls and shadows. In the company of strangers he shares on how he were transported here and questioning everything just like these people he just met. After reciting a prayer he fell asleep knowing that The Wavemother is the only one he has to be afraid of.

During the rest, Azgard was the first to take watch. But, after hours of fighting and the mental gymnastics required to figure out this haunted house, Azgard was exhausted. Ten to twenty minutes into his watch, he nodded off and fell asleep right along side his companions. Luckily for him, no danger was presented to them during this time.

When the party awoke, Thia was the first up. There’s no telling how long she was up, but it seemed as though she had been studying for a while.

“Are we ready to continue?” He asked the group.

Thia rested through her trance for the full four hours, at which point she opened her eyes and quietly notified Rasghull that he could sleep. After that she sat with her legs crossed against the wall closest to the door. She listened to the quiet surroundings as she pulled out the grey orb she had taken from the statue. She sighed as she thought about how she risked the lives of her friends for it, yet she felt like she needed to take it, considering it's value. Thia wondered how much her party would put up with her, and when doing something like this ended up in someone's death. She put the orb back into her pack and spent the rest of the time with her head against the wall as she watched the door for the remainder of everyone's sleep. Once everyone was awake she gave a small smile to them as she stood up from the floor and stretched her legs. "I think so, although I guess we will be avoiding that room now..."

Rasghull was starting to come back around to his old self after a night’s rest, but not quite. This place quickly wore him down. He senses were dull. His muscles ached.

I’m barely ready, but I have to follow up on something. He leads the group down those miserable stairs. He lights another torch to keep from falling the whole way down. They pass by the table of Carne’s items and he inspects it and picks up a silvered shortsword. I never thought I would have to slay the undead. Silver blade keeps the dead away, my friends back home used to sing. I think you all would have liked them.

He stops at the entrance of the narrow tunnels and waits to hear something, but there is nothing to hear. Wait here. I'm going to check on our prisoner.
He walks down the southern narrow tunnel alone to peer into the room where statue still stands empty-handed. He sees the ghoul completely devoid of any muscle at all. The dark monsters must have lashed out on it. He rejoins the group by the table.
Well, there goes my chance. Let’s keep moving. I can lead the way.

As soon as the party walked into the bedroom, seeing nothing of interest in the previous room, Thia locked her eyes onto the footlocker and bent down to open it up. When she did she saw a treasure trove of items inside, some of which interested her. Nothing got her more excited though then the spellbook that was resting inside. She quickly snatched it up to look through it's mystic contents, thinking in the back of her mind how much gold she would need to get all of these spells she was finding into her own spellbook.

Azgard watched as Thia moved directly to the unlocked footlocker. He moved into the room just after she did but stopped right inside the threshold, and turned to observe his surroundings. He knew the shadows still may be lurking around these halls. Just as he turned back, he saw Thia removing an item from the locker.

Even for his age, there’s a lot of things Rasghull doesn’t know. His life still has room for surprising lessons. He learned about monsters that take the shape of shadows and the orbs that trigger them, ghouls that can paralyze you with their claws and the grounds they crawl out of, but he never learned about the undead parents and the walls they burst through when you open their treasures.

Rasghull hates surprises, and this house seems to have them in every room. He takes a quick swing at the male undead monster, slicing only the debris in the air. Rasghull finds another opening in the monster’s defenses as dirt still crumbles off its shoulders, but his blade only ends up whistling through the air again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back