What's new

Party 3

Nephyriun

Void Flopsie
Supporter
Chapter 1: Into the Mists

The lot of you are no strangers. Having banded together on more than one occasion to protect the town of Daggerford. So it isn’t much of a surprise that when the Duchess Morwen is having guests over for dinner, you all are invited. You consider her quite the friend considering how much you have served her duchy over the course of your stay, and the benefits from such a friendship are quite nice indeed.

The night is brisk, the full moon ominously bright as you maneuver your way through the nearly vacant cobblestone streets. Even though the city isn’t the largest, it is normally much more lively - but their superstitions must be getting the better of them. Tugging on your collar you push the thoughts to the back of your mind, making haste. Best not make Ms. Morwen wait any longer than need be.

As you arrive and are lead into the dining hall, the scents of various dishes begin to overwhelm your senses. Eagerly you find an empty seat, watching others file in after you. The Duchess is seated at the head of the table, looking much more distressed than usual. But of course you all exchange pleasantries as she attempts to hide her unease.

You all eat and discuss recent happenings in the town, everything seeming to be alright until the Duchess clears her throat and begins to speak in a grave tone.

“I… don’t mean to interrupt this fine night we have been having.” She begins hesitantly. “But we do have some important business to discuss. The reason I invited you all here tonight was because I have some concerns about a group of wayward travelers that are camped outside of Daggerford’s walls. I first assumed they were harmless, but then I had begun receiving reports about how they were harassing residences of my town as well as visitors for money and wine. Threatening to curse anyone who doesn’t pay what they ask.”

Taking a moment to reach for a glass of wine before her, she would take a generous sip before setting the drink back down and continuing. “I had sent some guards yesterday to try and scare them away, but it appears as if they couldn't’t get the job done. They returned speaking only good things about these travelers, clearly charmed or hexed. I would like to keep this as peaceful as possible… but… they seem not to take to a kind request. This is where the lot of you come in. I have a message I want delivered and I want you to deliver it on my behalf as soon as we finish dining here.”

“If they are not gone by dawn.” Duchess Morwen mutters. “Their wagons burn."

95b644fea0a6e2c3ca301360addf1f42.jpg
 

Skux In Tux

Tiefling Warlock @skuxintux
The duchess' house was as lavish as the noble he'd been a slave for, but this time was different. It was a night for the young Tiefling and peers and he's indulging in it, he dressed up in his white tunic that's worn out from all his travelling, his bright yellow eyes that are a stark contrast to his gray skin perk up at the wine and food laid before him. Despite the duchess' speaking, Magnus continues to eat and drink whilst trying to keep up the faćade of listening. "You can count on us." He smiles.
 

MaxPowerKL5

Kiv Turnuroth
Tazdaar was uncomfortable with such opulence, but the Duchess had proven herself kind and generous, so he found it easier to push his anxiety aside. The food and drink were good, as was the company of his companions, and it was almost enough to push his personal quest to the back of his mind ... almost.

The dragonborn's eyes widened with interest when Morwen began speaking of the mysterious travelers. Tazdaar would always be more comfortable holding steel than silver. If these strangers were threatening the people of his newly adopted home, he would have to show them this steel. From the Duchess' demeanor, these seemed to be not ordinary thugs, but wielders of magic. Well, let them try their mind tricks on him. Anyone who preyed on the weak would be his enemy.

Tazdaar nodded in agreement as Magnus pledged their support.
 

pythor229

Member
Thia is wearing a simple white dress that went down to her ankles, something she kept in her backpack for occasions like this. She sat quietly at the table, eating and saying as little as possible like she always did. She always trusted her party members to handle talks, and would only interject on something she had actual knowledge of.

@Nephyriun That time did come however when the Duchess talked about the guards being charmed or hexed, magic was her specialty, and something she was very passionate about. "Was a detect magic spell used to see if the guards were actually under the influence of something like that?" Thia asked in her quiet tone of voice.
 
Last edited:

Nephyriun

Void Flopsie
Supporter
Morwen looks to Thia curiously, then shakes her head. "It had seemingly worn off by the time we had managed to get someone trained in identifying magics on premises, so they were unable to detect the arcane signatures in time. Still, based off of the accounts from the guards we had sent, it was agreed by that it was most likely some sort of enchantment." She sighs, twirling her glass of red wine around as she spoke. "If you also suspect that they may be using magic to assail my guard, then all the more reason to be rid of them."

She nods at Magnus and Tazdaar. "Thank you. I really hate to ask you to lower yourselves to mere bouncers, but I have no other choice. They are threatening the people of my domain, and they cannot be allowed to continue like this."
 
Last edited:

pythor229

Member
Thia nodded, more to herself then to the Duchess. These people weren't physically harming anyone, but throwing around enchanting magic like that on the guards was dangerous to the town and it's inhabitants. "Hopefully we can convince them to leave, and since we know of the magic they use we shouldn't have much trouble."

Thia looked to her companions, who had already pledged their support to the Duchess. "I'm in, as long as we don't have to kill anyone there...."
 

MaxPowerKL5

Kiv Turnuroth
"As long as they don't turn their weapons against us I'm sure there will be no need for that," Tazdaar said. He relished making sure those who have done harm got what they deserved, but certainly didn't kill for sport.

"Still, a few bumps and bruises might be the best way to convince them not to return," he said.
 

saiditallbefore

New Member
Thienna hadn't been paying much attention to the Duchess or the other guests, prior to the Duchess' announcement. She had better things to do with her time, and if the Duchess hadn't made herself such a good friend in the past, Thienna would not have bothered accepting the invitation.

But this was-- not good, certainly. Whoever was outside Daggerford was making trouble for the Duchess and the citizens. But at least dealing with them was something she was good at-- and it was more interesting than sitting through the rest of this interminable party would be.

Thienna stood. "What are we waiting for?"
 

Nephyriun

Void Flopsie
Supporter
Morwen looks at the four of you and nods with a tired smile. "I can't thank you all enough for your service. Please, make haste after finishing your meal. I hate bearing the thought of them pestering my people any longer.”

Soon enough you all would exit the keep, pointed in the vague direction of the encampment. You set off down the cobblestone path towards the city gate, while the wind whirls with unusual ferocity - almost mistaken for a real wolf's howl. Nevertheless you all continue onwards, pushing your superstitions back to the corner of your mind.

As you continue onwards towards the hill where they were camped, your path is lit only by the ominous clarity of the full moon, shining above. You see dozens of men and women gathered around a large bonfire. They are in high spirits, a couple of them sing and dance around the fire while others find joy in their seemingly bottomless wineskins and flasks. Three barrel-topped wagons are parked at strange angle with their horses, a half dozen of them, tied to a nearby tree decorated with bright coats of exotic patterns and designs..

While approaching the lively bunch, a male human from the group approaches with a wide smile in both his eyes and lips, a younger woman and man flaking him on either side. “Welcome, my friends.” He greets you warmly, a drink sloshing in his right hand as he extends the other in greeting. “My name is Stanimir. How may we help you on this beautiful night?”
 

pythor229

Member
@Nephyriun Thia stepped up a couple of paces ahead of her group, looking at the man. "H-hello." She greeted the man quietly, her hands fidgeting around unconsiously. "Why have you guys set up your wagons outside this town?" Thia then noticed her hands and put them behind her back, holding on to a part of her dress that she was still wearing.
 

MaxPowerKL5

Kiv Turnuroth
Tazdaar steps forward.

"You can leave," he says, lips curling into a sneer. "You're messing with peoples' minds and taking their money. These people have done nothing wrong, and you had better find a new town before we decide that you have done something wrong."
 

pythor229

Member
Thia flinches slightly as Tazdaar speaks. His voice gave more authority, which might be the right thing to show at this time, but a part of her wished the situation could have been handled more diplomatically. "The guards have already asked you to leave, which means the town doesn't want you here. If you could please pack up your stuff and move your wagons we would be grateful." Thia added to Tazdaar's comment, hoping this would be enough to convince these people to leave, without having to come to blows.
 

Nephyriun

Void Flopsie
Supporter
Stanimir looks at Thia curiously, the wide smile remaining on his face. He laughs heartily at the question. "Why would we not? We are mere wanderers on a journey, we sleep under the moon and stars. Without a brick-and-mortar home, a wagon must do - and it just so happens that tonight, our wagons are parked here. What is so wrong about that?" He takes another large swig of his drink and resumes his wide grin.

At Tazdaar's threat the two people accompanying Stanimir flinch and begin to reach for their weapons, but the old man puts his free hand up, signalling them to stop."Mind your manners - Damia, Ratka. They are our guests for the time being." He turns to Thia, having clearly heard her soft-spoken protest. He smiles again. "Ah, the guards. So you are acquaintances of Duchess Morwen, yes? We have no wish to make enemies of the charming lady."

He takes in a deep breath, allowing the lively music and chatter in the distance to fill the silence. Then he turns back to the four of you with a knowing glance, the smile still on his face.. "If the duchess so wishes, we can pack up and leave tonight. We are travelers, after all. But we do not travel without purpose. We are on a quest - searching for answers and saviors in these strange, unknown lands. All I ask is you listen to our story and hear our plight. Then, we will leave without conflict. What say you?"

If you would like to do the optional adventure to advance to level three, decline hearing the story (or his proposition afterwards). Accept his story and his proposition if you would like to skip it and move onto the main module at level 1. This side adventure is extremely deadly and must be fully completed to earn all the levels offered. Discuss this out-of-character before proceeding.
 

Skux In Tux

Tiefling Warlock @skuxintux
Magnus sulks behind the group, not so jovial anymore. Mere months ago, he'd been one of these people, caravan travellers, and he doesn't want to ask them to leave. A constant reminder that this is he's doing a favor for a friend rings through his head. As much as he wants to hear the story, they must be dealt with tonight. "I'm sorry, but we decline and we kindly ask you to leave."
 

saiditallbefore

New Member
“We don’t need to hear your story to know you’ve been causing trouble for the folks around here,” Thienna says, her hand on her shortsword.
 

pythor229

Member
"Yea, we're busy tonight. You will be too, with all the packing you have to do." Thia steps back from the front, ready to leave. While she feels awkward declining to anything, she felt that this story was more a way to try and use some type of spell on her and her friends, which she wanted nothing to do with. They needed to get back to the Duchess and report the good news.
 

Nephyriun

Void Flopsie
Supporter
As you all voice your disapproval, Stanimir sighs and nods, looking over each of you carefully with a saddened gaze. “As you wish. If you will not grant us an audience, then there is nothing more for us here. Tell your Duchess we will leave in the morrow.” And with that he would give a slight nod of his head and return to the merrymaking of his companions, the man and woman beside him reluctantly following after a few more moments. As you turn and head back the way you came, the sound of music and laughter dies down quickly to an ominous silence with distance and time.

The night is eerily silent as you return to the normally comforting welcoming streets of Daggerford, sending chills down your spine. As you approach the keep, you pick up the distant yet distinct scent of blood on the wind. This makes you pick up the pace along the cobblestone streets, weapons sliding into hand as you round the corner with the keep coming into view. It doesn’t look like where you had dined nearly an hour ago.

It's a terrifying scene. The wood and steel doors, built to defend against intruders and lowlifes, were torn up and forced open like they were made of paper. Four mangled corpses of guards remain out front, slumped and torn asunder, their breastplates dented and hammered into their chests. The once bright braziers lining the halls of the main foyer were now extinguished, leaving only a black void in front of you.
 

Skux In Tux

Tiefling Warlock @skuxintux
Magnus' yellow eyes light up as he prepares healing magic and rushes into the haunting scene, but soon realizes that he couldn't do anything about this. He leans over and inspects the bodies and the darkness beyond.
 

pythor229

Member
Thia puts her hand to her mouth as she sees the guards, and she wonders if her party would have been here for the attack if they had not left so quickly. Thia walks tentatively into the keep, her hand on her spellbook. She tries to ignore the bodies of the guards as much as possible as she makes her way to the dining hall, hoping she would find some clue as to what happened with her darkvision. But the bodies of the dead guards and if they could have been avoided lay heavily on her mind, distracting her greatly.
 
Last edited:

MaxPowerKL5

Kiv Turnuroth
Tazdaar follows Magnus to put his own healing ability to use, but it's clear there is nothing here but death. The dragonborn drops to his knees, takes a deep breath and focuses his Divine Sense, trying to detect if any of the evil that caused this carnage is still here.
 

pythor229

Member
Thia looks around at the empty entrance hall, hearing nothing and smelling only the stench of blood. She hopes that the Duchess didn't meet the same fate as the guards, and that if she was taken they can find her safely. Thia walks into the dining hall, the last place the party saw the Duchess.
 

MaxPowerKL5

Kiv Turnuroth
Having sensed no evil presence, Tazdaar watches Thia head to the dining room and follows, sword drawn and shield in hand. He stands behind his wizard friend and readies himself.

"Careful Thia. I sensed no evil creatures here, but mortal foes may still be lurking about."
 

saiditallbefore

New Member
Mara glances at the carnage in the entrance hall, closing her eyes briefly as it overwhelms her. They should've been able to stop this, to do... something, before it was too late.

Mara follows Thia into the dining hall, hoping they'll find the Duchess alive.
 

Nephyriun

Void Flopsie
Supporter
The place is in utter disarray. Banners hang from the walls torn into shreds, most of which lays fallen on the blood-soaked rugs. There are only corpses among corpses as you continue down the main hall, guards as well as a few dressed in commoners', slumped against the walls or simply laying flat on the ground. Stepping around the bodies best you can, you peer into the dining hall and find only utter ruin where you had last dined with the Duchess. The once grand dining table now lay scratched, nearly destroyed, illuminated only by the moonlight peering in.

As you turn to exit the dining hall and explore the rest of the house, a painful scream echoes down the halls, frantic and terrified. A few moments of hushed whimpering come soon after, seeming to come from the throne room. Then, only silence.
 

pythor229

Member
Thia hears the scream, which makes her jump and almost let out a noise herself. She pulls out her spellbook and casts mage armor on herself, then runs into the throne room to confront whatever danger that was present in the room, and to save whoever was still alive.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top