• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Partner wanted for dystopian cyberpunk crime duo

@TheCreator

So the partner I was running this story idea with had to drop out. Not totally sure where I'll take it from here, but is this story idea still something that you would be interested in?

HeyGayzelle said:
@TheCreator
So the partner I was running this story idea with had to drop out. Not totally sure where I'll take it from here, but is this story idea still something that you would be interested in?
I certainly would! I invested some of my time trying to investigate the genre here and there, but as I'm guessing you can expect I only found articles speaking very vaguely about the genre. I don't blame them, honestly, because it's positively a genre that starts building itself from very general tropes, and then writers can set the tone themselves as the story develops (I hope it makes sense, what I'm trying to say). I see this similarly happening with the steampunk genre, with which I am way more acquainted, because I'm kind of a little slut for that one (oops). In fewer words, if you really want to understand cyberpunk, I do understand that I have delve into actual cyberpunk works, as in books like Ghost in the Shell, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Burning Chrome, and such.

But duh, you didn't need me telling you this. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I think I'm confident enough to say I understand the general concept it's all wrapped around (futuristic setting, strictly divided social classes, overpopulation, politics are nuts, cybernetics taking big part in society, AI, yaddah yadda). I'm really glad you disclosed that you're willing to roleplay with someone who isn't as acquainted with the genre, but I need to remind you that this would inevitably lead to you steering the plot as you expose more detailed concepts about the universe we're working in. I'm in no way concerned about this, but perhaps this is not the most suitable way to do it in your preferences. However, I think I can assure you I'd only need a couple of pushes before I can firmly grasp the idea and start helping you steer it.

All you need to know is that I'm as open-minded as can be to learn of new tropes and genres, which is largely why I chose to jump headfirst into the idea of a roleplay within a genre I know little to nothing about. Aside from indulging in roleplaying, which I thoroughly enjoy, I'm hoping to learn a lot from this one in particular. Oh, and also, I happen to find it very useful to understand setting and worldbuilding works better when I start from building a character and their depth, so I begin including concepts from the world around them to their backstory and personality.

Reading this must've been a drag; sorry. I didn't expect to write this much. But I'm up!

@TheCreator

Yeah, my first post probably suggested a degree of pre-planning and rigor that I'm not sure I'll try to shoot for the second time around, but I am okay with providing direction regarding the setting and other any details I might need to. Really, just capturing the overall "feel" is probably more important than complete faithfulness to cyberpunk traditions.

But if you would like to have a loose reference for the setting, tone, and style, there's this radio drama adaptation of Neuromancer that might be worth browsing through.

[media]

[/media]

I would be interested if you're still looking for partners. I've been on a huge heist kick recently and I'm just itching to do something with it.

Nogoodname said:
I would be interested if you're still looking for partners. I've been on a huge heist kick recently and I'm just itching to do something with it.
I've got a couple of RP ideas in the works at the moment, but I'm open to trying this idea with more people. Considering the first version of this story idea didn't really pan out, I might have the next one begin in media res during some minor heist or job and then follow up with a more traditional character introduction afterwards.

Seeing as @TheCreator has said that he's a bit of a newcomer to cyberpunk fiction, would you two be open to the idea of running the RP as a trio? I figure if we did that, I could be able to provide some direction with things like worldbuilding, narration, and acting out NPC roles, but having two other players could bolster the sense of interaction and make it feel less railroaded than if I were doing this in a 1x1 format.

Last edited by a moderator:
HeyGayzelle said:
I've got a couple of RP ideas in the works at the moment, but I'm open to trying this idea with more people. Considering the first version of this story idea didn't really pan out, I might have the next one begin in media res during some minor heist or job and then follow up with a more traditional character introduction afterwards.
Seeing as @TheCreator has said that he's a bit of a newcomer to cyberpunk fiction, would you two be open to the idea of running the RP as a trio? I figure if we did that, I could be able to provide some direction with things like worldbuilding, narration, and acting out NPC roles, but having two other players could bolster the sense of interaction and make it feel less railroaded than if I were doing this in a 1x1 format.
I would totally be down to do that, the issue though is I've never really done anything other than a 1x1 before. So while I'm willing to learn I would be a little new to the format.

Nogoodname said:
I would totally be down to do that, the issue though is I've never really done anything other than a 1x1 before. So while I'm willing to learn I would be a little new to the format.
I would be a little new to the format as well, so I would be totally understanding of any confusions and be willing to work through them. In principle, I don't know if would be all too different from 1x1 aside from maybe having to work out some way of cuing others (seeing as 1x1 essentially just operates off a rule of "post after the other person does"). We'd also have to make sure our posting availability is compatible with one another, but under the circumstances, doing it in this format might make it feel more open-ended and spontaneous.

HeyGayzelle said:
I would be a little new to the format as well, so I would be totally understanding of any confusions and be willing to work through them. In principle, I don't know if would be all too different from 1x1 aside from maybe having to work out some way of cuing others (seeing as 1x1 essentially just operates off a rule of "post after the other person does). We'd also have to make sure our posting availability is compatible with one another, but under the circumstances, doing it in this format might make it feel more open-ended and spontaneous.
I'd be down to do it, I'm a student in the summer with no job atm so i quite literally have all day free unless i make plans. From what I've seen of multiple partner RPs they seem to be kind of a free for all of people making posts and just dropping in and out whenever. Although I'm sure since this would be a smaller group we could get into some sort of turn order.

Nogoodname said:
I'd be down to do it, I'm a student in the summer with no job atm so i quite literally have all day free unless i make plans. From what I've seen of multiple partner RPs they seem to be kind of a free for all of people making posts and just dropping in and out whenever. Although I'm sure since this would be a smaller group we could get into some sort of turn order.
Yeah, I've observed that too and frankly, it is a legitimate concern. 1x1 might require less coordination, but it's also sort of an all-or-nothing deal if one of the players needs to drop out.

I work from my home computer and my availability is generally quite good, but sometimes I may be slow to respond or may need out for a little while if I get tied up with something else. All things considered though, I can commit.

HeyGayzelle said:
Yeah, I've observed that too and frankly, it is a legitimate concern. 1x1 might require less coordination, but it's also sort of an all-or-nothing deal if one of the players needs to drop out.
I work from my home computer and my availability is generally quite good, but sometimes I may be slow to respond or may need out for a little while if I get tied up with something else. All things considered though, I can commit.
Mhm thats why i mostly stick with 1x1, less hassle, i already have a d&d arrangement and even though it's at the exact same time every week we still have trouble showing up. And i feel like thats all the hassle i need right now in the world of roleplay. But i feel like with a small group like a trio it'd be manageable. Besides if it doesn't work out we can always just go to our own 1x1, no harm in trying. I guess it all depends on what our friend here says whenever they come online.

Sure thing, I understand. I'm still open to running separate 1x1s if that just proves to be the more prudent option, but we'll have to see what we can expect in terms of scheduling first.

HeyGayzelle said:
Sure thing, I understand. I'm still open to running separate 1x1s if that just proves to be the more prudent option, but we'll have to see what we can expect in terms of scheduling first.
Either way will work for me, the trio sounds like a lot of fun though so I'm kinda hoping we can make it work. Would you want to work on characters or talk about setting while we wait?

Nogoodname said:
Either way will work for me, the trio sounds like a lot of fun though so I'm kinda hoping we can make it work. Would you want to work on characters or talk about setting while we wait?
If you have any ideas you would like to share, then I would be interested in hearing them. I already got rolling with a character on my first shot at this RP idea (which can be read here) and I don't know if I'll continue with that same character, perhaps after they're a bit older and have gained more experienced, or start fresh with another character. Under normal circumstances, I'd try to give an explanation of my writing style and type of setting I have in mind, but seeing as I've already worked on this idea a bit, I figure a few pages of posts are about as good as anything I could say.

HeyGayzelle said:
If you have any ideas you would like to share, then I would be interested in hearing them. I already got rolling with a character on my first shot at this RP idea (which can be read here) and I don't know if I'll continue with that same character, perhaps after they're a bit older and have gained more experienced, or start fresh with another character. Under normal circumstances, I'd try to give an explanation of my writing style and type of setting I have in mind, but seeing as I've already worked on this idea a bit, I figure a few pages of posts are about as good as anything I could say.
Sorry i took so long to get back to you, i took the time to read a little of the rp (and my family and i went to the grand canyon!) I really like the setting and you have an amazing writing style. I'm just afraid my normal writing style isn't at detailed as yours. I'll try my best to keep up though! I'm always trying to get better with my writing.

Nogoodname said:
Sorry i took so long to get back to you, i took the time to read a little of the rp (and my family and i went to the grand canyon!) I really like the setting and you have an amazing writing style. I'm just afraid my normal writing style isn't at detailed as yours. I'll try my best to keep up though! I'm always trying to get better with my writing.
Thanks, I appreciate the compliments. I wouldn't be as concerned with the degree of detail this time around. I'm actually reasonably new to RP and in retrospect, I may have went a little overboard in the details of some of the posts. But still, I figured that might be a potential advantage of running the story as a trio; even if my posts have more some more detail and I begin with a stronger grasp on the setting concept, there will still be two other characters to sort of keep me in check and prevent me from just dominating the plot.

Hope you enjoyed the Grand Canyon. I've actually been there myself and yeah, I thought it was pretty cool.

HeyGayzelle said:
Thanks, I appreciate the compliments. I wouldn't be as concerned with the degree of detail this time around. I'm actually reasonably new to RP and in retrospect, I may have went a little overboard in the details of some of the posts. But still, I figured that might be a potential advantage of running the story as a trio; even if my posts have more some more detail and I begin with a stronger grasp on the setting concept, there will still be two other characters to sort of keep me in check and prevent me from just dominating the plot.
Hope you enjoyed the Grand Canyon. I've actually been there myself and yeah, I thought it was pretty cool.
Alright, that's good, i just wanted to warn you beforehand so you were aware of my shortcomings. Anyways i read through the rp and i really love the setting, I'm a huge fan of heists and crime based settings and there's hardly anything out on the subject.

Dankee, it really is indescribable, pictures don't do it justice.

Woah, I feel like a lot has happened since I was offline and for some reason it makes me feel irresponsible?? Ok nevermind

(btw @Nogoodname i've never been to the grand canyon but i bet it was awesome here's my review: it big )

I'm totally up for a threeway on this thing, although much like my fellow said, I haven't done anything significant outside of 1x1 myself. I understand the different rules in order that this involves, but I'm sure we'd be able to work it out smoothly if we commit ourselves and stay organized. And speaking of commitment, I'm a student myself, and being in the lesser southern hemisphere, I still have class. However, I'm getting through pretty easily, so I should be able to easily post once a day, or every two days at the most if I'm busy. Otherwise, I'd of course make sure to notify.

I'm going to read @HeyGayzelle 's roleplay post, but from I've read so far it seems your style is on point, and I'm kinda fidgety I won't be able to deliver as much. Typically, sometimes with my partners we exchange short writing samples just so we can sort of get a glimpse of what their style is and see how we'll adapt. But it's all up to you guys.

@TheCreator

Cool, well like I said, it's alright if you don't think you'll be able to reciprocate the sorts of posts in those threads since I'll probably go for something a little bit lighter this time around. I should be able to commit to at least one post daily as well, though I could probably do a few a day on average. I'll also be able to give notice if I anticipate slowness on my end, as well.

TheCreator said:
Woah, I feel like a lot has happened since I was offline and for some reason it makes me feel irresponsible?? Ok nevermind
(btw @Nogoodname i've never been to the grand canyon but i bet it was awesome here's my review: it big )

I'm totally up for a threeway on this thing, although much like my fellow said, I haven't done anything significant outside of 1x1 myself. I understand the different rules in order that this involves, but I'm sure we'd be able to work it out smoothly if we commit ourselves and stay organized. And speaking of commitment, I'm a student myself, and being in the lesser southern hemisphere, I still have class. However, I'm getting through pretty easily, so I should be able to easily post once a day, or every two days at the most if I'm busy. Otherwise, I'd of course make sure to notify.

I'm going to read @HeyGayzelle 's roleplay post, but from I've read so far it seems your style is on point, and I'm kinda fidgety I won't be able to deliver as much. Typically, sometimes with my partners we exchange short writing samples just so we can sort of get a glimpse of what their style is and see how we'll adapt. But it's all up to you guys.
Oh hey welcome to the party we've been expecting you. :P

Anyways I'm certain we can work out some sort of turn order and just follow that. Maybe something like @HeyGayzelle goes fist because it's his plot then me and you fight to the death for the right to go 2nd (or flip a coin whatevers easier). I can do a good few posts a day if need be do i don't think I'll be much of an issue on that end

I guess it's settled then. I have no problem with going third. Actually, I guess it'll give me a bit more confidence if you guys set the tone first, just to weave my approach the best I can. I'm guessing @HeyGayzelle is going to be the one posting the thread, so I consider relevant to ask how we're gonna go about introducing the characters: you know, we do basic sheets beforehand and let them develop, or just jump headfirst into the roleplay without any of that? I don't know, however you two prefer.

I guess I'll go 2nd then. I'm down to do character intros either way, I've already got an idea for my character. I'm thinking of a bit of an enforcer/plan b type of character for when things go south.

I would say you're probably going to want a character sheet prepared and some idea of what you want their niche on the team to be, but I'm thinking we'll start off with a brief action scene so we can sort of introduce the characters by showing them in their element. And then maybe we can follow that up with a more relaxed scene that gives the opportunity for a more standard introduction. I'm thinking it just might be good to find our feet with just a small-scale "heist" sort of scene because the intro of the last attempt at this RP took so long that we never actually got to a real action scene.

I still don't know if I'll just tweak my old character or make a new one, but I think I'll try to take the lead with some of the hacking scenes since I have a somewhat specific idea for the sort of narration I would like to use to describe them. One general strategy I use is to just go for very hypnotic and surreal prose that manages to throw out some strong mental images without getting too bogged down in the specifics of the technology. Like, some lines of narration for a hacking scene might read something like:

This vector of the information grid is a narrow, barrel-shaped tunnel. Long helix arms of liquid crystal extend endlessly towards an imperceptible barrier before curving back into themselves as if viewed through some chaotic non-Euclidean filter. Networked instances of Black ICE in the shape of angular vorticella hang from above, observing the space with hostile intent through clusters of small chrome orbs as twisted, tendril-like orange arms modulate unpredictably in damaged FM operator waveform patterns, the cold blue tips delicately finding their way into the curved lattices of code below.

“Careful…” Tanya thinks to herself, lightly twisting the worn-down velocity controller knob on her deck, ebbing the flow of data from her packet injector with surgical precision, ensuring that the rate of transfer with the dummy file exactly matches the rate at which she extracts the critical data from the node. A small orange graph on the screen of her deck demarcates the tolerance threshold which will activate the heightened alert phase for the ICE apparatus hanging above.
But yeah, I also understand that this could get confusing in its own right, so if anyone needs an explanation or a cue or whatever, just let me know and I could try to break it down.

HeyGayzelle said:
I would say you're probably going to want a character sheet prepared and some idea of what you want their niche on the team to be, but I'm thinking we'll start off with a brief action scene so we can sort of introduce the characters by showing them in their element. And then maybe we can follow that up with a more relaxed scene that gives the opportunity for a more standard introduction. I'm thinking it just might be good to find our feet with just a small-scale "heist" sort of scene because the intro of the last attempt at this RP took so long that we never actually got to a real action scene.
I still don't know if I'll just tweak my old character or make a new one, but I think I'll try to take the lead with some of the hacking scenes since I have a somewhat specific idea for the sort of narration I would like to use to describe them. One general strategy I use is to just go for very hypnotic and surreal prose that manages to throw out some strong mental images without getting too bogged down in the specifics of the technology. Like, some lines of narration for a hacking scene might read something like:

But yeah, I also understand that this could get confusing in its own right, so if anyone needs an explanation or a cue or whatever, just let me know and I could try to break it down.
Alright, i think i can do that, do you have a character sheet template you'd like us to use?

Nogoodname said:
Alright, i think i can do that, do you have a character sheet template you'd like us to use?
I do have this one from the first post that's pretty straightforward and not super thorough.

Character Sheet (omit any details that might not be applicable)

Name:

ZG Alias:

Appearance:

Enhancements:

Blacklist offense:

I don't anticipate playing with dice (it could be cool, but I don't want to get in over my head since this is my first time being in a trio), but the competence and upgrades list on this small RPG rules sheet can provide some examples of aspects to think about when designing a character in this genre.

HeyGayzelle said:
I do have this one from the first post that's pretty straightforward and not super thorough.
Character Sheet (omit any details that might not be applicable)

Name:

ZG Alias:

Appearance:

Enhancements:

Blacklist offense:

I don't anticipate playing with dice (it could be cool, but I don't want to get in over my head since this is my first time being in a trio), but the competence and upgrades list on this small RPG rules sheet can provide some examples of aspects to think about when designing a character in this genre.
Awesome, I'll get started on a character

Users who are viewing this thread

Back