Advice/Help Partially RP-related, partially psychological, I have a question?

turanga_blazing

MEME 👏 REVIEW 👏
>tfw the only messages on your post are you bumping your thread so it doesn't get lost
forever alone.png
Real question though, am I chasing a pipe dream looking for mates to rp for a show that hasn't really been relevant in recent years, like Futurama? It could be that I'm just being impatient (I only joined a few days ago), but I think a bigger part of me is actually kind of anxious and worried that I must appear ridiculous or dumb because apologies, I do have some self-confidence issues. You all seem like nice people though, but I'm just a little shy and nervous.

It can get kinda hard to find a partner for a show that is not popular as of late. But Futorama is well known so hopefully you find someone! You absolutely have to be patient though because it can literally take months. But might be worth the wait.
Maybe you can try doing some other rp plots in the meantime while looking for the partner you need! Or just chat about random things in the community because there are many interesting topics for discussion.

It can get kinda hard to find a partner for a show that is not popular as of late. But Futurama is well known so hopefully you find someone! You absolutely have to be patient though because it can literally take months. But might be worth the wait.
Maybe you can try doing some other rp plots in the meantime while looking for the partner you need! Or just chat about random things in the community because there are many interesting topics for discussion.
Thank you. I appreciate the kindness I'm already receiving here. I will definitely poke around for other RPs and just chat in general. Yall are so nice.

Real question though, am I chasing a pipe dream looking for mates to rp for a show that hasn't really been relevant in recent years, like Futurama? It could be that I'm just being impatient (I only joined a few days ago), but I think a bigger part of me is actually kind of anxious and worried that I must appear ridiculous or dumb because apologies, I do have some self-confidence issues. You all seem like nice people though, but I'm just a little shy and nervous.
So, what I'm about to say is going to make me look like an a**hole, but if I may, I do believe some things could indeed use an improvement in the way you're going about this. But first, a little something that maybe will make you feel better:

1. I welcome 15-20 new people every day here on RPN. This means every there's 15 to 20 additional people who might see your interest check and be interested.

2. The short list of requirements for someone to take a roleplay are:
*preferring 1x1 in this case
*going for the genre you posted in
*noticing your interest check
*liking your title
*having seen AND liked the show you're talking about
*wanting to roleplay that
*finding your interest check interesting and wanting to roleplay with you
*not having other, better options/more appealing options
*not already having roleplays up to their neck or otherwise being busy

And that's just for an average 1x1 RP. Yours is even less likely to get seen because the majority of the site does not RP off-site, I dare say some 70-80% in fact (I don't have the actual numbers, but it seems that way from my experience and from responses I've seen in other threads in this matter), to you're working with less than half the potential audience to begin with.

Then you slice another huge chunk by making it a roleplay with cannon characters (meaning not only does the person have to enjoy the fandom they also have to be the kind of fan who wants to roleplay the cannon characters) and your character has to be one of them specifically meaning anyone looking to play that character is also out of luck.

In other words, there's lots of thing you have little to no control over that can make it harder for a partner to find you. I wouldn't say you're blameless, but it's certainly not all your fault.

That said....

->you made your interest check during the time of the site with least activity (weekend) and seemingly panicked yesterday by posting a whole line of bumps. Combined with your title especially this makes you seem desperate and impatient, which is really not good when the entire point of an interest check is to make yourself appealing as a prospect RP partner.

->You have what I call a "grocery list" interest check, just a little too raw and to the point. Some people like this, others don't, then it is something that makes one like me jump right off. Yours was actually one of the better ones in this category though, it did have some personality and prefernces outside of just what you want to roleplay, so my recommendation to fix this is maybe try a couple of plot suggestions?

->MHA is actually a far bigger fandom (I'd dare say huge) in this site, so your chances are better with that than with Futurama. I won't say to put it on a bigger highlight necessarily, as you do seem to want to roleplay Futurama more, but otherwise, giving more of a spotlight to MHA might garner you more attention.

Overall, the biggest reason (outside of the 3 day rule of thumb for how long a typical interest check takes to pick up at all) why you didn't get much attention was because you have a really, really narrow audience. They need to have discord, like futurama, like playing with cannon characters, not be off-put by either the lack of content in your interest check or the sudden burst of bumps, currently have free time for new roleplays, be interested in getting those and have seen your interest check to begin with. It's a lofty list of criteria, and the more specific one is, the more patient and proactive they have to be in the search for partners.

I'll leave this here: Tutorial - Principles of A Good Interest Check for you or anyone else that wishes to consult it.

Hope this post helps. Best of luck and happy RPing!

>tfw the only messages on your post are you bumping your thread so it doesn't get lost
PS: Falling out of the first page doesn't mean the thread is lost, and I can guarantee you the loss in viewing isn't that significant you need to be worried. My threads more often than not, for instance, usually get interest after three or four weeks post falling out of the first page.

PS: Falling out of the first page doesn't mean the thread is lost, and I can guarantee you the loss in viewing isn't that significant you need to be worried. My threads more often than not, for instance, usually get interest after three or four weeks post falling out of the first page.
Holy hell. You are such a lifesaver. First of all, I really want to apologize for what I'm sure was my obnoxious behavior. Second of all, thank you. Sometimes I just need a little pointer or a nudge in the right direction, and you've absolutely given me that. To go off on a bit of a tangent, I sometimes struggle in the social interactions area, more so when it comes to groups of people (e.g. a forum such as this).
But I digress.
Definitely, I will take into consideration the information you've provided me with and use it to put together a much better post than my first one seeking RP mates. Again, thank you so so so much for your help!

Holy hell. You are such a lifesaver. First of all, I really want to apologize for what I'm sure was my obnoxious behavior. Second of all, thank you. Sometimes I just need a little pointer or a nudge in the right direction, and you've absolutely given me that. To go off on a bit of a tangent, I sometimes struggle in the social interactions area, more so when it comes to groups of people (e.g. a forum such as this).
But I digress.
Definitely, I will take into consideration the information you've provided me with and use it to put together a much better post than my first one seeking RP mates. Again, thank you so so so much for your help!
You're welcome. It might interest you to know as well that you're not alone. A lot of RPN has some form of anxiety, for starters, and the vast majority of us aren't great socially. So if you're struggling to express yourself or are afraid to upset someone or something, feel free to say so, though generally just a polite and positive attitude and being yourself (cheesy though it may sound) is all you really need to get around. Oh, and patience of course. You'll need that too.

Idea Idea said it all best tbh. Best advice.

I also joined RPN because I had been searching for a specific fandom and all of my google searches lead me to this website. If I'm ever looking for a roleplay for a specific fandom, I type it in the search bar and sort by date. Usually someone has something. So don't give up! I'm willing to bed SOMEONE is looking for something as obscure!

Speaking of obscure fandoms, there is also this thread Other - Obscure fandoms you'd like to RP
Maybe someone mentioned a fandom you like and you could try contacting that person. Even though it's not really rp search thread but might be of interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back