OOC Discussion

[QUOTE="Aldur Forgehammer]Here's the early CS will update it as I go.
WIP

Ioana, Călătoru

• Full NameCălătoru Ioana Claudia
    CodenameLelantos
    GenderFemale
    Age22
    RankB
    RoleStudent
    SubjectN/A
    RaceCaucasian
    Eyes Hazel
    Hair Platinum(Originally Brown)
    Height5’7
    BuildToned, curvacious
    LimiterLevel 3, Active
    NotesA fistfull of piercings and a sleeve tattoo on her left hand. Also lip scar.

[/QUOTE]
More stuff done. Last thing that needs to be put in is History.

Pigeon said:
The power is solid, and I think you've listed a good number of weaknesses. I'm glad you incorporated readingraebow's suggestion to be susceptible to extreme temperatures. Plants are very finicky when it comes to their environment, so it makes sense that Denzil would be, too. Maybe, in addition to that, he also requires much more water than most people do? When dehydrated - which perhaps happens more quickly for him than with others - maybe his power loses potency or disappears altogether?
There were only a couple things I wondered about when reading through your profile. First, in your Biography tab, you've only colored in one tick between Chaotic and Orderly. Perhaps I've been reading them wrong this whole time, but to me that sounds like Denzil is extremely chaotic. That'd be totally fine, except from the personality traits you've listed, it sounds like he would border more on orderly. Have I misinterpreted this?

Second, if part of Denzil's primary power is to shape plants (like topiary), can he also animate them? As his powers currently stand, I'm not sure Commonwealth would have given him a C rank. However, if he could go all Poison Ivy on the world, then yes, I'd agree that Denzil would need a limiter to put that power in check.

I'm curious to see how such a young teacher might fare at Facility 108. He seems the academic sort (does he have his doctorate?), so I wouldn't be surprised if he'd been gaining his higher education degrees and only just began working with AEGIS. Is he a new teacher? That could be a fun dynamic to explore! :)
First off, thank you for your amazing insight.

As for the added weakness of quicker dehydration, I definitely think that's a good idea. Also, yes, he could animate them, which I should say more clearly.

As for the personal stuff, he is very disorganised. I kind of took the basics of one of my old teachers and then changed it. She was very kind, but not as down to earth, but she was always forgetting stuff, like coming to class thinking we were a year up, or asking us where in the subject we were again. That's the kind of disorganised that Denzil is too, so I don't really think it clashes with the rest of his personality. Maybe I will go change it a bit. It's definitely food for thought. I don't really know much about the American education system (read; nearly nothing) so I don't know. Maybe? Maybe he's working on that part time? Could it be that he needs to intern for it and this is his internship?? It's a good idea, and I'll look into the basics of higher American education tomorrow, so I'll change it (or not) then.

Primary Power

He has the ability to manipulate Magnetism. This power allows him to attract and repel all metallic objects as projectiles, destroy electronic equipment, and grants him sonar-like sense detector towards any metal weaponry. His power also allows him to make temporal magnetic shields in order to repel those objects. Ben has the habit of keeping three metal spheres in his pocket that he, once in a while, uses for recreation. Making them float above his hand and such; His eyes turn a yellow hue whenever he activates his abilities.

Secondary powers

Ben is also capable of generating electricity with his magnetism, similar to how electromagnetic induction of a magnet works. Though it is not as powerful as regular electric powers could be. However the drawbacks of using this is that it erodes his optic nerve, causing sight loss overtime. According to his teachers, this is due to his powers being incompatible.

Weaknesses

1. Ben's power relies on two things: On, one, the metal things around him and two, on the three metal spheres he keeps in his pocket. If he is ripped away from those two things, the young man is pretty much useless. I mean, yeah he is left with his electric ability, but that makes him go blinder and blinder the more that he uses it. So it's pretty much a no no.

2. His magnetism also has a limit: the heavier the object, the more strain it puts on his body and mind. For every object that his power controls, the young man has to individually concentrate on it, so it takes quite a lot of mental energy that can make his body shut down, causing him to faint.

3. Ben can only lift objects that are smaller or equal to the weight of a car. And even then, he would have to really put effort in it. His mind just isn’t powerful enough to sustain the weight of a ship, or a train—For example. It would make his brain burst because of the pressure.

4. His magnetic shields are rather weak and he can only hold them for about two minutes without anything crashing into it. Meaning, if he has a bunch of metal objects thrown at him, he'll only be able to hold the shield for 10 seconds or less. Plus, Ben can’t exactly control where the metal things that bounce off end up, which could be a problem in team fights or if he's in a crowded place since he can end up hurting someone.

D; is that better?

@Pigeon

Last edited by a moderator:
Chibii said:
I just realized how similar my and your character is superpower wise... I wasn't trying to copy, I swear! ;-;
And also, I'm sure Seiko would love a partner to help on ground >:3
No problem at all! From what I've seen in the Superpower wiki, Air Manipulation has a lot of stuff It does and since this RP uses a limit of three power traits there are so many combinations! For example, Air Manipulators could be able to remove oxygen from air and/or create void spaces. there is the whole tornado/hurricanes thing, the flying and Air fighting part, current sensing really, there are lots of options.

This simply means we both think Airbending is cool!!

And on the RP it may also mean baddass Airbending attack combinations OWO

Also it's a international team, Japanese+Italian... It makes me excited!

Pigeon said:
*cracks knuckles* It's time to get in on this discussion biz-ness. Ahem, part one:
@Chibii Thanks for the comment about my character! If Kit and Seiko are both accepted, I'd love to discuss their relationship with you!

I'm going to geek out a little and say hooray for airbenders! I know this isn't Avatar, but I sure do love that show. Airbenders rule the world. XP

If it's not obvious, I love your choice of superpower. Out of curiosity, when Seiko creates whirlwinds, does she maintain control over their speed and direction - like, could she sustain one as long as she has the energy to do so? - or do they function independently the second she releases them until they die out naturally? If the former, then wow. Girl's gonna need some serious stamina. If the latter, I could see that as a major drawback. Not being able to control the vortex's path of destruction? Yikes! That would be like an unleash-the-beast situation. Which would be both terrifying and awesome. Breaking news: Tornado Baffles Scientists. Wrecks Havoc in Baltimore. Ooo, girrrl. Someone's in trouble!
xD

Since you were working on expanding weaknesses, what do you think of this? Weather - I think it's implied somewhere in your profile? Apologies if I'm repeating you. What effects do heavy wind, rain/snow, and temperature have on her? Her hero stats don't suggest she'd have the strength or endurance to overpower strong natural forces - might that be a weakness? I also assume her power is somewhat nullified when she's in an airplane - pressurized rooms don't strike me as prime conditions for someone who can manipulate air. But I see she has crazy levels of willpower, so even without the brute strength or Olympian stamina, I'd say stack the deck against her. She can handle it.

@RemainingQuestions Hiya!

The power is solid, and I think you've listed a good number of weaknesses. I'm glad you incorporated readingraebow's suggestion to be susceptible to extreme temperatures. Plants are very finicky when it comes to their environment, so it makes sense that Denzil would be, too. Maybe, in addition to that, he also requires much more water than most people do? When dehydrated - which perhaps happens more quickly for him than with others - maybe his power loses potency or disappears altogether?

There were only a couple things I wondered about when reading through your profile. First, in your Biography tab, you've only colored in one tick between Chaotic and Orderly. Perhaps I've been reading them wrong this whole time, but to me that sounds like Denzil is extremely chaotic. That'd be totally fine, except from the personality traits you've listed, it sounds like he would border more on orderly. Have I misinterpreted this?

Second, if part of Denzil's primary power is to shape plants (like topiary), can he also animate them? As his powers currently stand, I'm not sure Commonwealth would have given him a C rank. However, if he could go all Poison Ivy on the world, then yes, I'd agree that Denzil would need a limiter to put that power in check.

I'm curious to see how such a young teacher might fare at Facility 108. He seems the academic sort (does he have his doctorate?), so I wouldn't be surprised if he'd been gaining his higher education degrees and only just began working with AEGIS. Is he a new teacher? That could be a fun dynamic to explore!
:)

Woahhhhh there is so much to think about with Airbending. Hmm... I think she'd be more of a release the beast thing when creating tornadoes and only be able to control them if she's 'riding' them...

Necessity4Fun said:
No problem at all! From what I've seen in the Superpower wiki, Air Manipulation has a lot of stuff It does and since this RP uses a limit of three power traits there are so many combinations! For example, Air Manipulators could be able to remove oxygen from air and/or create void spaces. there is the whole tornado/hurricanes thing, the flying and Air fighting part, current sensing really, there are lots of options.
This simply means we both think Airbending is cool!!

And on the RP it may also mean baddass Airbending attack combinations OWO

Also it's a international team, Japanese+Italian... It makes me excited!
Air Manipulation is just too cool to pass up.

Part two!

@readingraebow You've been such a wonderful help for everyone here. Thank you for the lovely comment! And thank you for volunteering Laurel to tether Kit to the ground - how sweet of you to offer! <3

@Father Gigantor I second the confusion on the powers and the weaknesses. It comes across to me like a you are writing it for a magic genre RP not a science based one. Also the term Area of Effect is pretty self defining for anyone that has played a video game. I see a lot of defining of this power and the additions as an all encompassing, board lining over powered. I would suggest reworking both the power and the weaknesses.

Also perhaps looking at the point distribution based on what you come up with. I found it sort of contradicting verses the Blunting power you have selected.

@Father Gigantor alright at work so I should be able to give you a more more in depth feedback.

First A+++ on her personality and backstory she sounds precisely like Laurel's kind of girl. And having read her backstory I have a suggestion for maybe re-defining and clarifying her power.

Perhaps you could give them something like Deflection or Force-Field Generation.

As it sounds to me like they are essentially just creating some kind of protective field around themselves to prevent them from coming to harm which would fit these two powers.

If you want to keep the energy manipulation bit try something like this Energy Redirection, where they absorb energy and simply redirected at their opponent.

readingraebow said:
@Father Gigantor alright at work so I should be able to give you a more more in depth feedback.
First A+++ on her personality and backstory she sounds precisely like Laurel's kind of girl. And having read her backstory I have a suggestion for maybe re-defining and clarifying her power.

Perhaps you could give them something like Deflection or Force-Field Generation.

As it sounds to me like they are essentially just creating some kind of protective field around themselves to prevent them from coming to harm which would fit these two powers.

If you want to keep the energy manipulation bit try something like this Energy Redirection, where they absorb energy and simply redirected at their opponent.
I think gigs' character powers are more easily described as such

"Disperses forces acting upon her protective field (which I'm sure is only on her skin), and equally distributes it across an area."

What I think is that things like a sharp stiletto driven with enough force, due to the sharp point, will exert quite a lot of pressure, and still feel like a hammer blow instead.

Blunt blows are almost useless against her, but sharp points can instead cause blunt trauma. Furthermore, if a person is strong enough, say Daft's Hulk, blunt blows can instead cause all-around blunt trauma.

Teal deer,

It doesn't WEAKEN a force, it just distributes it around an area, so she's still susceptible to getting murderlated. I mean, imagine getting hit by a truck, halve the force acting on the front of your body, and apply both of those halves onto your ENTIRE body. Even if you survive, shit's gonna hurt, fam.

you guys are giving me hope for this character; stahp it.

@Rida[/URL] First, hi! Nice to meet you - I don't think I've seen your name pop up much on this thread. Welcome! Second:

I'm afraid I'd have to agree with swimswamswom, though Chibii has a good point about your suggested power, too. I think the biggest complication is that manipulating other characters' emotions relies too heavily on other players. Every time you want your power to affect another character, you'd have to pull that player aside, OOC, to first ask for permission, and then to maybe discuss the outcome.

Although, what I could see possibly working is if the power was less deliberate and more incidental. For instance, maybe your character is emotionally contagious, rather than manipulative. By which I mean if he/she were calm, he/she might emit some sort of pheromone or some such substance that would act as a calming agent on nearby people. It's not targeted at any one person, and the emotion itself can't be controlled, so perhaps something along this line might be more acceptable in a role-play, and not OP or reminiscent of mind control at all. Like, oh, here comes Rida's character, who is extremely stressed. And her character is sitting next to my character. Well, shoot. Now my character is going to get stressed, too.
:P

If that's not your cup of tea, you might take comfort in the fact that people can be perfectly emotionally manipulative without a superpower. So you could have a cool power
on top of a character who's calculating and devious. ;)

Hello! I had actually posted on the original interest check, but I've been preoccupied with a few other things this past week and only found time to post here today. Nice to meet you as well, sweets.

You have an extremely enticing idea right there, Pigeon...the idea of pheromones, or almost an aura of emotion around my character, had crossed my mind, though I hadn't thought of it in that light. The only downside would be, "Oh, look, that's the girl with the freaky emotional bubble. Better not get near her." I did plan to make her a teacher, so this would be an exception in a classroom environment, though it wouldn't help in public situations or combat, where simply exiting the path of certain pheromones would negate its effects.

I actually written all these suggestions down on my hand, so I'll be thinking a little more into them tonight. Thank you so much for putting time aside to set me on the right path, guys! You have no idea how much this has helped me.

Part three! Wow. I did not realize how many character applications there were - and these are just the ones that are still under consideration! This is great! I think this is everyone so far who hasn't been accepted, right?

@Aldur Forgehammer Howdy do!

Ooo, a speedster! That's one of my favorite kinds of superhumans!

I'm really intrigued about the hints you've dropped in Lelantos's Biography tab about her line of work. It sounds decidedly criminal and violent. But I'll leave off on this for now since you haven't yet supplied her history.

As for her superspeed, I have a couple suggestions. Since you've given her a low stat for strength, I'd recommend removing the secondary power of increased strength when she's in superspeed mode or increasing her strength stat. As it is now, it sounds a bit contradictory - and convenient. Or maybe a better term for her secondary power is that she has an advanced level of shock absorption. It's not that she's strong, but when she hits something fast enough to obliterate the bones in any normal human's body, she can take the hit without dying - maybe only a minor sprain. Maybe this might fall more in line with her above average level of Toughness?

Have you considered, too, the effects of friction on her body? How are her joints holding up? Her muscles? Does she need protective gear to avoid wind friction on her skin and eyes? Just some thoughts about other weaknesses she might have.
:)

@Chibii Super interesting thought. I mean, surfing a tornado sounds badass and all kinds of awesome, but it's interesting that that would be the only time Seiko could control them. It does make sense, though, since she'd have constant contact with the swirling
vortex of doom whirlwind. And in order to "stay afloat" she'd probably need to continually push air into it to keep it from dying out on her. That'd be a nasty fall, wouldn't it? :P

@Rida It is an interesting power to consider! But don't be so sure that other characters will avoid yours because she can affect their emotions. Maybe the effects are so subtle other people don't realize she's the one affecting them? It just happens and we, the readers and players of this role-play, are aware of when her power works while our characters are not. But hey, no pressure! I'm sure you'll come up with something fantazzle! :)

Apologies for not being around much today. A passing remark from @Dano reminded me that for large roleplays, I usually make spreadsheets to keep track of characters. So, I've been going through the OOC and copying profiles down to a sheet on Google Drive. When it's complete, I will post it up for everyone to see.

Pigeon said:
@Rida It is an interesting power to consider! But don't be so sure that other characters will avoid yours because she can affect their emotions. Maybe the effects are so subtle other people don't realize she's the one affecting them? It just happens and we, the readers and players of this role-play, are aware of when her power works while our characters are not. But hey, no pressure! I'm sure you'll come up with something fantazzle! :)
"fantazzle"

you have effectively made yourself my favorite person.

Mmk, that clears up the idea a bit, sweets--thank you so much. I might as well try to throw something together before the deadline; I don't want to regret not doing so in the end.

simj22 said:
"Disperses forces acting upon her protective field (which I'm sure is only on her skin), and equally distributes it across an area."

What I think is that things like a sharp stiletto driven with enough force, due to the sharp point, will exert quite a lot of pressure, and still feel like a hammer blow instead.

Blunt blows are almost useless against her, but sharp points can instead cause blunt trauma. Furthermore, if a person is strong enough, say Daft's Hulk, blunt blows can instead cause all-around blunt trauma.

Teal deer,

It doesn't WEAKEN a force, it just distributes it around an area, so she's still susceptible to getting murderlated. I mean, imagine getting hit by a truck, halve the force acting on the front of your body, and apply both of those halves onto your ENTIRE body. Even if you survive, shit's gonna hurt, fam.
Ah gotcha that's much clearer thanks.

@Rida

So I had a serious memory spark with Pigeon's suggestion of the pheromone. One of my most favorite characters I played was a Muse that did exactly that. When she used her powers, a thin mist-like fog would collect around her. Those who inhaled it would be under her influence and had ridiculously low inhibitions. Clearly still required some side PMing on control limits, but I loved playing that character. That could be a way to do it.

O K , S O

for those of u who haven't had the pleasure of hearing my constantly crying about my cs in Discord:

• i tweaked this character from one of my favorite old ones

• yes i am extremely sorry about the edginess of the backstory, i know its pretty crazy but i needed it to be like that

• everything in this cs has been put in there for a reason, i promise im not trying to be a special snowflake

• i am very sorry

• i am also sorry about being so worried about this

without further
latest

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

TRAMMEL, EDEN

• Full NameEden Trammel
    CodenameN/A
    GenderMale
    AgeNineteen
    RankA
    RoleStudent
    SubjectN/A
    RaceCaucasian
    Eyes Green
    Hair Hot pink (oh yes, I'm going there)
    Height6' 1"
    BuildSlightly thin but still healthy and lean (rather average)
    LimiterLevel Three; Active
    NotesA few (negligible) scars from those "high-strain incidents"

simj22 said:

Teal deer,

Props to this guy for wording better than i could ever possibly hope to word. It's basically this but not just limited to a single type of force or energy (kinetic energy for example, which you all seem to be associating with the most.)

The field has an effect on basically all forms of energy that is directly affecting her, be it heat, light, electrical or chemical. Which is why the field distorts electronics and has an effect on her biology. Like I mentioned previously, due to a more even distribution of energy and forces throughout her body, it performs better than a normal human's would, however due to the more spread out area it's forced to cover, the required chemical energy to power parts of her body don't reach as fast, making her body slower to start up and inhibiting the effects of adrenaline.

I'll try to alter the description so it sounds more straightforward, but I'm at work right now so lurking is pretty much going to be the extent of what I do.

Manic Muse] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/20073-rida/ said:
@Rida[/URL]
So I had a serious memory spark with Pigeon's suggestion of the pheromone. One of my most favorite characters I played was a Muse that did exactly that. When she used her powers, a thin mist-like fog would collect around her. Those who inhaled it would be under her influence and had ridiculously low inhibitions. Clearly still required some side PMing on control limits, but I loved playing that character. That could be a way to do it.
Oh gosh, wow. Pigeon's idea had sounded great when I had read it, though this definitely adds to its appeal. I'll let you know what I've decided once I've gathered my thoughts together. Thank you so much, Manic! ♥

Swimswamswom said:
O K , S O
for those of u who haven't had the pleasure of hearing my constantly crying about my cs in Discord:

• yes i am extremely sorry about the edginess of the backstory, i know its pretty crazy but i needed it to be like that

• everything in this cs has been put in there for a reason, i promise im not trying to be a special snowflake

• i am very sorry

without further
latest

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

TRAMMEL, EDEN

• Full NameEden Trammel
    CodenameN/A
    GenderMale
    AgeNineteen
    RankA
    RoleStudent
    SubjectN/A
    RaceCaucasian
    Eyes Green
    Height6' 1"
I actually didn't understand what had happened in Eden's backstory at first, but after reading the Powers tab, my first thought was something along the lines of--and I'm going to spare you the profanity--"HOLY MOTHER OF schnitzel DID THIS bibble GO AND flipping KILL HIS MOTHER?"

No wonder he has an imaginary friend, leads a life of crime, and dyes his hair odd shades of the color spectrum...

I think your background is just fine, by the way; it adequately explains how he received his power and why he is affiliated with the Commonwealth, which is all that was required of you. As long as you don't follow any generalizations or common archetypes that may follow this certain lifestyle (the bad-boy stereotype, you know?) you'll be just fine.

Swimswamswom said:
O K , S O

• i am very sorry

without further
latest

TRAMMEL, EDEN

• Full NameEden Trammel
    CodenameN/A
    GenderMale
    AgeNineteen
    RankA
    RoleStudent
    SubjectN/A
    RaceCaucasian
    Eyes Green
    Height6' 1"
I-I...like him... alot

@Swimswamswom

Right, so, I know you said this needed to be in the backstory, but I think I can at least help make this more, uh, medically correct?

Schizophrenia is generally known to run in families (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone who might know more about mental illness). So, is this the case? Was he more susceptible to it in the beginning, and the trauma sort of provoked that mental change? What type of schizophrenia is this? Schizoaffective disorders generally affect most of someone's day-to-day life, as do most mental illnesses, I'd imagine... so, it'd be slightly more worrisome/require an individualized learning plan beyond "sometimes he hallucinates, but it's chill."

You might want to look into a form of PTSD instead, I think that makes more sense for what you're going for. If you'd really like to incorporate a mental disorder as an important character trait it'd be nice to see it researched in a more sensitive way ('insane' is a bit of an outdated blanket term, also).

I'm not so great at dissecting powers so maybe someone else can give you better feedback on that.

@Swimswamswom - A++++ character, again the kind of person that Laurel would like. I don't notice any particular snowflake like qualities, he seems like a well-rounded and well thought out character. I honestly don't see a single thing wrong with him and look forward to seeing him in action.

I guess if I had to get like super duper sweaty nerd nitpicky I am not sure what these "high-strain incidents" are exactly? Do you mean just when he's in a combat situation and he or others are injured?

Otherwise + 10 points for creativity and can't wait to see him in action :)

crackedbat said:
@Swimswamswom
Right, so, I know you said this needed to be in the backstory, but I think I can at least help make this more, uh, medically correct?

Schizophrenia is generally known to run in families (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone who might know more about mental illness). So, is this the case? Was he more susceptible to it in the beginning, and the trauma sort of provoked that mental change? What type of schizophrenia is this? Schizoaffective disorders generally affect most of someone's day-to-day life, as do most mental illnesses, I'd imagine... so, it'd be slightly more worrisome/require an individualized learning plan beyond "sometimes he hallucinates, but it's chill."

You might want to look into a form of PTSD instead, I think that makes more sense for what you're going for. If you'd really like to incorporate a mental disorder as an important character trait it'd be nice to see it researched in a more sensitive way ('insane' is a bit of an outdated blanket term, also).

I'm not so great at dissecting powers so maybe someone else can give you better feedback on that.
ahhh yes thank you, schizophrenia did feel weird when I put it down but I just didn't know how to officially label this imaginary friend of his (perfect wording @Rida and yes I'm gonna try and make him unique :P ) my apologies for being ignorant about the subject, I haven't adequately researched that field of mental illness enough so i will tweak it to be more respectful and accurate c:

readingraebow said:
@Swimswamswom - A++++ character, again the kind of person that Laurel would like. I don't notice any particular snowflake like qualities, he seems like a well-rounded and well thought out character. I honestly don't see a single thing wrong with him and look forward to seeing him in action.
I guess if I had to get like super duper sweaty nerd nitpicky I am not sure what these "high-strain incidents" are exactly? Do you mean just when he's in a combat situation and he or others are injured?

Otherwise + 10 points for creativity and can't wait to see him in action :)
Thank u c:

And the high-strain incidents refer to the Limiters, when they work overtime to keep the users in control – in Eden's case, they can result in large wounds not being able to be passed off, so he ends up sustaining the injuries and they leave scars

Swimswamswom said:
ahhh yes thank you, schizophrenia did feel weird when I put it down but I just didn't know how to officially label this imaginary friend of his (perfect wording @Rida and yes I'm gonna try and make him unique :P ) my apologies for being ignorant about the subject, I haven't adequately researched that field of mental illness enough so i will tweak it to be more respectful and accurate c:
Hey Swim, @Ghost has a fantastic guide on writing mental illnesses floating around in the Tutorial section. Go find it, and give it a quick read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back