OOC Discussion

[QUOTE="too much idea]What about... A limit on how many metallic objects he could control. The bigger and the heavier, the fewer.

[/QUOTE]
:o good one! Good one! I'll add that to the list. Would that be considered a major weakness? @3@

Sagitarius said:
S-So guys guys please help me come up with a weakness for this nerd Q_Q idk why i cant come up with one AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IM STUCK
A limit for the magnetism maybe? How about not being able to use it for more than say... A few minutes before exhausting himself completely? It sounds generic, but maybe it'll work.

(I am totally not thinking for making him and Seiko friends... Ahem ahem...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sagitarius said:
:o good one! Good one! I'll add that to the list. Would that be considered a major weakness? @3@
Yeah. And maybe you also want to limit his power over 'small number of projectiles'. Like, maybe he cannot stop a large number of bullets directed at him.

welian said:
Character Apps will close FridayAttention roleplayers! Anyone interested in joining Aegis has until Friday to submit a character application. After Friday, the roleplay will be closed to new players for an indefinite period of time.
screams-internally.gif

Weaknesses

Ben's power relies on two things: On, one, the metal things around him and two, on the three metal spheres he keeps in his pocket. If he is ripped away from those two things, the young man is pretty much useless. I mean, yeah he is left with his electric ability, but that makes him go blinder and blinder the more that he uses it. So it's pretty much a no no. His magnetism also has a limit: the heavier the object, the more strain it puts on his body. For every object that his power controls, the young man has to individually concentrate on it, so it takes quite a lot of mental energy that can definitely exhaust him. Also, his magnetic shields are rather weak and he can only hold them for about two minutes without anything crashing into it. Meaning, if he has a bunch of bullets fired at him, he'll only be able to hold the shield for 10 seconds or less.

How does that sound? D;​

@Chibii

Sagitarius said:

Weaknesses

Ben's power relies on two things: On, one, the metal things around him and two, on the three metal spheres he keeps in his pocket. If he is ripped away from those two things, the young man is pretty much useless. I mean, yeah he is left with his electric ability, but that makes him go blinder and blinder the more that he uses it. So it's pretty much a no no. His magnetism also has a limit: the heavier the object, the more strain it puts on his body. For every object that his power controls, the young man has to individually concentrate on it, so it takes quite a lot of mental energy that can definitely exhaust him. Also, his magnetic shields are rather weak and he can only hold them for about two minutes without anything crashing into it. Meaning, if he has a bunch of bullets fired at him, he'll only be able to hold the shield for 10 seconds or less.

How does that sound? D;​

@Chibii
Much better, in my opinion :D

Sagitarius said:

Weaknesses

How does that sound? D;​

@Chibii
Sounds awesome!

@Sagitarius - I guess I'm a bit confused, what exactly do the metal spheres have to do with his power? Unless its just another source of metal (similar to Magneto)?

One weakness that you might consider would be the shields themselves. Rather than the strength of the shield, it could cause metal objects that you are avoiding (ie bullets) would cause them to bounce off in uncontrollable directions (similar to how identical polar magnets react) and be potentially hazardous for surrounding allies.

Just a thought :)

Dano said:
@Sagitarius - I guess I'm a bit confused, what exactly do the metal spheres have to do with his power? Unless its just another source of metal (similar to Magneto)?
One weakness that you might consider would be the shields themselves. Rather than the strength of the shield, it could cause metal objects that you are avoiding (ie bullets) would cause them to bounce off in uncontrollable directions (similar to how identical polar magnets react) and be potentially hazardous for surrounding allies.

Just a thought :)
:o I think people are reading too much into the spheres hahaha. They are like Literally 3 little metal balls that he keeps in his pockets incase he needs to use them as weapons. They are the spheres he 'stole' from his grandfather's shelf when he was a kid. They look like this

set-of-three-9cm-stainless-steel-sphere-garden-ornaments.jpg

He can make them float and fire them at his enemies like little bullets. Idk if im making sense (/v\) but what you said about things bouncing off his shield is great! I'll add that too

Sagitarius said:
He can make them float and fire them at his enemies like little bullets. Idk if im making sense (/v\) but what you said about things bouncing off his shield is great! I'll add that too
so.... spheres simply = ball bearings

I plan to spend the day laboring over a CS (finally!), but before I do so, I would love an opinion on the ability I had in mind: Emotional Manipulation. Quite self-explanatory, it is the ability to manipulate the emotions of others, weakening their mental strength and, if powerful enough, possibly leading to fatal occurrences (brain hemorrhage, cardiac arrest, etc). Limitations would include a certain duration of time in which said emotions can be manipulated, the necessity of either eye or physical contact for the power to work, and a heavy mental/emotional strain (strong emotional backlash, per se). My main concern is whether this borders on mind control, something I hear is a big no-no in this roleplay.

@Sagitarius

Have you considered the effect too much metal might have on your character? As in, a way someone could use a magnet against him?

Rida said:
I plan to spend the day laboring over a CS (finally!), but before I do so, I would love an opinion on the ability I had in mind: Emotional Manipulation. Quite self-explanatory, it is the ability to manipulate the emotions of others, weakening their mental strength and, if powerful enough, possibly leading to fatal occurrences (brain hemorrhage, cardiac arrest, etc). Limitations would include a certain duration of time in which said emotions can be manipulated, the necessity of either eye or physical contact for the power to work, and a heavy mental/emotional strain (strong emotional backlash, per se). My main concern is whether this borders on mind control, something I hear is a big no-no in this roleplay.
@Sagitarius

Have you considered the effect too much metal might have on your character? As in, a way someone could use a magnet against him?
What do you mean? :o explain plz

Btw the emotion thing sounds awesome

Rida said:
Not to be harsh, but I'm just going to say it's not going to work. I've run into this kind of power a lot, and it relies almost entirely on how the other person rps it out. It's a cool power, but in a roleplay setting with multiple writers collaborating, it doesn't work unfortunately :<

Rida said:
@Sagitarius

To me, this seems a little over powered as you did say that there might be a small chance of character death. And it is sorta bordering mind control, which is... Over powered.

Holy fucking shit it's late

JOH, HA-EUN

• Full NameJoh Ha-Eun(조하은)
    CodenameN/A
    GenderFemale
    Age20
    RankB
    RoleStudent
    SubjectN/A
    RaceAsian (Korean)
    Eyes Dark Brown
    Hair Chestnut Brown (Dark Brown when she can’t be bothered)
    Height5’9 (1.74m)
    BuildModerately curvy, god help you if you use any other terminology for it.
    LimiterLevel 2, Inactive when not handling certain equipment or items
    Notes---

@welian edited another drawback into the character sheet c:

HELLO!

Arcadia Caulfield

• Full NameArcadia "Cada" Caulfield
    CodenameLife
    GenderFemale / Non-binary
    Age25
    RankA
    RoleStudent, cyber-security intern
    SubjectN/A
    RaceCaucasian
    Eyes Green
    Hair Black
    Height5'6"
    BuildSlightly tone/muscular, curvy.
    LimiterLevel 3, newly activated
    NotesGarish blue eyeshadow

RemainingQuestions said:
De Klerk, Denzil
  • Full NameDenzil De Klerk
    CodenameN/A
    GenderMale
    Age28
    RankC
    RoleTeacher
    SubjectPolitical Powers
    RaceAmerican (Dutch)
    Eyes Brown
    Hair Brown, in dreads
    Height6'1"
    BuildMuscular
    LimiterLevel 1, inactive
    NotesAlways has a flower in his hair.
So I read through the entire OOC and here is the repost of my character, with non-photo as faceclaim, as well as some slight edits to powers, namely the drawback of extreme weather being a weakness.

@Father Gigantor so my phone is dying so I won't get able to go too much in depth in this feedback I'll try to write something longer later from work.

But the big thing is ii don't think I understand his powers at all. I can't tell if it's like some kind of unconscious force field that absorbs attacka and redistributes the energy or something that actually effects her at a molecular level or what.

I'm also not sure I get the exact effects , is it that she redirects Kinetic Energy Manipulation or something else.

Maybe gI've a specfix definition or example of how t he powes work.

Chibii said:
To me, this seems a little over powered as you did say that there might be a small chance of character death. And it is sorta bordering mind control, which is... Over powered.
Swimswamswom said:
Not to be harsh, but I'm just going to say it's not going to work. I've run into this kind of power a lot, and it relies almost entirely on how the other person rps it out. It's a cool power, but in a roleplay setting with multiple writers collaborating, it doesn't work unfortunately :<
Thank you so much for the honest critique, guys--you make extremely valid points. Sadly, I'm at a loss for ideas when it comes to rethinking powers. Hope wel's fine with me lurking, as I'm still very excited to see the plot unravel. Good luck to you all! ♥

Rida said:
Thank you so much for the honest critique, guys--you make extremely valid points. Sadly, I'm at a loss for ideas when it comes to rethinking powers. Hope wel's fine with me lurking, as I'm still very excited to see the plot unravel. Good luck to you all! ♥
Maybe change her powers to creating illusions? that way you aren't altering anyone, but instead what they would perceive?

Rida said:
@Sagitarius

Totally see where you are coming from on your thoughts of this power. I agree that there are concerns to be addressed with this power BUT it is playable. I have seen it done and done well.

I would do SUPER POWER WIKI

That the direction where others on here pointed me to and it really helped me out. I would look at Emotion Manipulation and the sub applications of this power.

This would be a more labor intensive character. It would require careful verbage in posts. Both because for some actions you will need to PM a player about 'Auto-hitting' with their permission. Such as if they were mentally vulnerable enough to allow you to probe their mind or such. Then you would write in the post of what your intentions were with your ability, such as getting the character to do or say something.

Basically, if you go this route, I would really play into coordinating with players but over all limiting the powers directed at players. I would instead focus the powers on NPC's. Thus muting the issue of god-modding all together.

UPDATE: Also Emotional Energy Manipulation looks cool too and might be worth investigation.

*cracks knuckles* It's time to get in on this discussion biz-ness. Ahem, part one:

@Chibii Thanks for the comment about my character! If Kit and Seiko are both accepted, I'd love to discuss their relationship with you!

I'm going to geek out a little and say hooray for airbenders! I know this isn't Avatar, but I sure do love that show. Airbenders rule the world. XP

If it's not obvious, I love your choice of superpower. Out of curiosity, when Seiko creates whirlwinds, does she maintain control over their speed and direction - like, could she sustain one as long as she has the energy to do so? - or do they function independently the second she releases them until they die out naturally? If the former, then wow. Girl's gonna need some serious stamina. If the latter, I could see that as a major drawback. Not being able to control the vortex's path of destruction? Yikes! That would be like an unleash-the-beast situation. Which would be both terrifying and awesome. Breaking news: Tornado Baffles Scientists. Wrecks Havoc in Baltimore. Ooo, girrrl. Someone's in trouble!
xD

Since you were working on expanding weaknesses, what do you think of this? Weather - I think it's implied somewhere in your profile? Apologies if I'm repeating you. What effects do heavy wind, rain/snow, and temperature have on her? Her hero stats don't suggest she'd have the strength or endurance to overpower strong natural forces - might that be a weakness? I also assume her power is somewhat nullified when she's in an airplane - pressurized rooms don't strike me as prime conditions for someone who can manipulate air. But I see she has crazy levels of willpower, so even without the brute strength or Olympian stamina, I'd say stack the deck against her. She can handle it.

@RemainingQuestions Hiya!

The power is solid, and I think you've listed a good number of weaknesses. I'm glad you incorporated readingraebow's suggestion to be susceptible to extreme temperatures. Plants are very finicky when it comes to their environment, so it makes sense that Denzil would be, too. Maybe, in addition to that, he also requires much more water than most people do? When dehydrated - which perhaps happens more quickly for him than with others - maybe his power loses potency or disappears altogether?

There were only a couple things I wondered about when reading through your profile. First, in your Biography tab, you've only colored in one tick between Chaotic and Orderly. Perhaps I've been reading them wrong this whole time, but to me that sounds like Denzil is extremely chaotic. That'd be totally fine, except from the personality traits you've listed, it sounds like he would border more on orderly. Have I misinterpreted this?

Second, if part of Denzil's primary power is to shape plants (like topiary), can he also animate them? As his powers currently stand, I'm not sure Commonwealth would have given him a C rank. However, if he could go all Poison Ivy on the world, then yes, I'd agree that Denzil would need a limiter to put that power in check.

I'm curious to see how such a young teacher might fare at Facility 108. He seems the academic sort (does he have his doctorate?), so I wouldn't be surprised if he'd been gaining his higher education degrees and only just began working with AEGIS. Is he a new teacher? That could be a fun dynamic to explore!
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back