• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Only Black Horses - Save The Light

xD Orphans are supposedly getting powers at some point, so far Forbis and Nix are the only people who can do much of anything

also for some reason I want Forbis to be training buddies with Spencer

sorry for not replying yesterday, I was extremely busy with things.

Right now I've narrowed down the possibilities to two, the first being voice manipulation and the second being the classical sonic scream.

Thoughts?

Federoff said:
sorry for not replying yesterday, I was extremely busy with things.
Right now I've narrowed down the possibilities to two, the first being voice manipulation and the second being the classical sonic scream.

Thoughts?
How does it help Yori grow and how does it fit her personality?

TerraBooma said:
Well Yori's pretty quiet, forces her to speak loudly :P
Being louder isn't growth. Being more spoken isn't growth.

We are talking emotional and mental development. The sooooouuuuul, oh yeah (B')

On top of that! The power must be able to grow too.

And further, may be some passive effects or potential changes to the body.

But yeah. These powers are to promote character development. Not to encourage developmenal stagnation.

Once we know Yori's power we can make the power post.

TerraBooma said:
Extrovert from introvert is growth
Kinda...

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom"

-Viktor E. Frankl

Well that ain't entirely true King, growth is change, no matter how big or small, or how good or bad. Also growth isn't just applied to mental and emotional states, it applies to everything and the state it is in.

Take for example an acorn, over the years when taken care of it wall grow into a tree, one can say that is a style of growth as it changed from one thing to another, and that's physical; not the mental state.

Another example is learning a language, and I mean Actually learning it. TO actually learn a language you have to learn how the traditions, history, culture, lore, and other factors influence the language, so you don't sound like a typical white person trying to speak Spanish. This allows you to grow and understand the world from a different perspective, and gives you a better understanding on how the people live/lived; promoting personal growth, not mental or emotional.

With either of the powers it would force her to reconsider her life style of being quiet, passive, and nonviolent(to a degree) and force her to change and grow into a different person, into a more outgoing person; even if it doesn't happen right away.

Its entirely possible at first she would fear herself due to the powers she had gotten (This point really only applies to sonic scream once more) and in the beginning she might be a more conserved person. which would then open up a floodgate of ways to slowly unturtleing from the world.

If she decides to embrace her powers and learn to control them, then she could help lead the group and help protect the things she care about, which is what Yori is all about; helping her friends and protecting her home(Now please realize that the word home is a metaphor and I am not using it in its physical definition) despite her social awkwardness.

Lets first define what the Sonic scream is, just in case some people don't know. Its the power to emit highly enhanced screams of a high amplitude, in where it can be destructive and deafening; depending on the power of the actual power and the skill level of the user.

It mainly does these things: Deafen people or make them hard of hearing for a X amount of time, depending on the scenario, it can help stun people due to same reasoning, it can destroy objects, and if can cause things to move away from the user or the user to move away from their original position; or a combination of both depending on statistics. Although, it can cause damage to unintended targets, so that is always something to watch out for.

The power does have "fatal flaws" to it, the biggest being the ears and mouth. If fighting someone who has covered up there hearing, or are just immune to sound in general, then this power becomes much less useful and will cause her to think more strategically (which will lead to a growth of intelligent decision making).

The second fatal flaw would be the mouth, which is where the power resides. If its somehow covered/muffled, or she has no air in her lungs to use this power, then she would have no way to use it at all. On the topic of this power requiring air, this will force her body to adapt to her new powers, potentially changing her lungs and respirator system to keep up with the demand of this power.

The third fatal flaw is one that won't happen to much, but is still one I have to point out. It is sound waves, aka longitudinal waves; meaning it needs a medium to travel through.

Now that that's explained, how can in grow? She could just start off not being able to do much with the power by limiting the amplitude, which is what the whole power is based off of. She could start off small, maybe just being able to cause that annoying ringing in your ears, move small rock; little things like that. Also touching back on the topic of needing air, at first she would barely be able to use her powers due to the amount of air needed, to the strain on the body, and how much effort it takes. On top of it, like any power at first, it will require a lot of concentration to "channel" the said power.

Now onto the voice manipulation, and like before I'll start by explaining what it is. This is probably one of the most simpler powers, and one of the most underrated powers out there in my opinion. It sounds exactly what it is; its the power to control her voice, she is freely capable of manipulating her voice, allowing Yori to control her voice to imitate sounds of creatures such as animal noises and explosions or increase or decrease the tone of their voice. This is bu increasing or decreasing the tone and pitch of the voice, sounding higher or lower; making herself bark like a dog, or sound like a gun going off, a tree falling over; the possibilities
could be limitless in this area. It also gives her the ability to "throw" her voice, or what ventriloquists do for a living, which again gives her a variety of things to do, and to develop.

And yes, they do have the same flaws as the last power, in the beginning that is. True she will still need air to do these powers, but when she learns of her ability to throw her voice and develop it, then it wouldn't really matter if her mouth is muffle. Also it still won't affect(effect?) people who have their ears covered or are immune to sound.

Please note that she can only imitate, or mimic, sounds that she has heard before or knows of. For example, if she has no idea what a horse is or sounds like, she can't imitate a horse...that would be stupid.

Growth? Just as before she could just start small, only being able to do a few things with her powers ( For example, she wouldn't have the ability to throw her voice in the beginning, but later on down the rode she would discover and develop the power to).

Again it does also require air, true not as much as as a scream, but still it would require a certain amount of it, thus again limiting her on the use due to strain of the amount of effort it takes at first; just like the sonic scream.

Taken out of context, but true none the less.

However. Just because all growth is change does not mean that all change is growth.

Now first off, voice manipulation. Having that as her sole power will leave her vastly unprepared and relatively helpless in future trials. One of the prerequisites is a power must have some combat application. As in, you must be able to deal damage with it. Also, this route I would need to know how it would change Yori. And how it is Yori.

As for sonic powers, I have relatively few problems with this. Which is good. The first problem being that it is pretty narrow in application. Easily solved. You are welcome to broaden it, by combining voice manipulation with it. Also, the powers will start off at a level suitable for combat. So no need to start small as only being able to move tiny rocks. I will delve into this more shortly.

Also, for this I still need to know how sonic projection is Yori. Why would yori have such a power come from her soul? Also I need to know how it will mentally and emotionally affect her in a positive way. How will it make her soul grow? How well it positively change her? These powers are embracing yori. Not the other way around.

Perhaps it would be helpful if I provided an example?

Very well put, to start you off, Fed.

I agree with King for the most part. As we stated, the power needs to be very combat-savvy and voice manipulation just does not cut it. Maybe for undercover missions it'll be good, but we won't be doing much of that. I also don't really see how it helps her to grow and how it's Yori. Just because Yori doesn't talk, or prefers not too, doesn't mean that giving her a voice-related power will suddenly sprout growth.

The same thing with sonic manipulation, minus the non-combat savvy thing. That's combat savvy in my opinion. But it just doesn't promote growth. Sure, she'll have to talk more, but once again, it doesn't mean growth. These powers have to be very spiritual, they have to be YORI.

We can make sonic manipulation work, if we switch some things around and consider how it relates to her more. ^_^

(please excuse my absence, I was talking with a teacher about a project)

First, please restrain from using abstract concepts such as the soul or spirituality; I don't believe in that nonsense and do not wish for you to cram your beliefs down my throat.

I personally fail to see any other powers that can offer her actual realistic growth, all the powers that are Yori without giving it a second glance do not give her any room to grow at all. And I've been considering multiple possibilities for her powers for a while now, the only powers that say her revolve around animals and the forest; yet they don't offer growth in any form.

If you can't understand the reasoning I have given, then I personally have no idea on what else to say on the subject; I've explained it the best I can.

If you have an valid suggestions on valid powers that
are Yori and promote growth on a realistic level, then please go ahead.

Federoff said:
First, please restrain from using abstract concepts such as the soul or spirituality; I don't believe in that nonsense and do not wish for you to cram your beliefs down my throat.
Okay, first off, woah. Those aren't my beliefs, nor King's. This is a roleplay. The criteria for the power is that it has to be linked to the soul and spirituality. This is completely fiction.

As you may know, King and I had a concept for Yori that we believed would most certainly help her grow. Which we told you of already. Fire manipulation. There's more too it then that, and me and King were very excited about it, but you wanted to make your own. :P

She would die from fear the moment that she saw the fire form due to her. If you recall from one of my extremely earlier posts, while looking at a small oven fire; she was heavily shacking and on the edge of a panic attack. Due to the scaling, any fire any bigger then that would put her in a comatose condition and to top it off if it came from her it would push her off the edge, giving her a heart attack and resulting with death.

So it would be highly illogical to give her a power of that attribute. Also fire doesn't say Yori, it stands for everything she is against; so there is another reason. Third it wouldn't promote any positive growth, she would shut herself down from the world if she survived the heart attack it would give her

There is no need to be hostile. It is not appreciated. I was doing no such thing

Dreams. Magic. Even fiction , are in essence abstract concepts.

I didn't say anything about not understanding. I was asking for you to say how it is Yori which I didn't see. Or I may have missed. A simple clarification would have solved the issue better than getting defensive about it.

As for realism... well... all I can say on that is things will be about as real as being inside a dream. Where logic equates to a tree being able to lay a dragon egg.

You mistake us in thinking we did not think about that. We took such things into consideration already. Not just with yori but everyone else.

As already stated, the powers will not nessecarily be what the character would want. And such a difficulty in overcoming such powers, Yori would not be alone. The only one getting off relatively easy would be Spencer. Jay... Sherlock... Elva... Joey... Their powers will present hardships that they also must overcome.

We know it terrifies her. But it's not going to be just like that.

The Dream Crystals do more than just give you powers. They give you comfort and they almost show you how. We also figured, since she would need a little bit more of a push, that the Dream Crystals would also heal the damage done to her throat from the fire.

It would promote growth because it would help her overcome her fear. It would teach her that nothing is impossible, it would make her more comfortable with herself.

We're just trying to help you have the best experience you possibly can, Fed. ^_^ We want your character to grow.

yes I do to, but the way you guys want her to grow is into perfection, I don't want that. When I made Yori I made her in a very specific way, and for very specific reasons; the fear of fire and the scarred throat is her core, you take the core away and your left with a hollow shell.

And also, no amount of comfort would save her from a heart attack, that is just not how the human brain/psyche works, even in the fictional world it still wouldn't work.

It goes beyond that.

Not all fires must be volcanic wrathful infernos.

Fire is more than just burning and destruction. Fire provides light and comfort. It warms hearts and bodies. It sterilizes and heals.

Yori is sweet and warm. Light and whimsical. Like the flickering tongues of flame that dance around the edge of the fire. Even soft flames are noticed by there warm, and give off no less light than a bonfire.

To overcome a fear that defines her and bring out even more of her warmth and caring. Nurturing. To teach her action and control. A lighting of that inner fire.

And, oocly, a way to put her in a situation where Sherlock and her can get closer. He too will need her help.

Federoff said:
yes I do to, but the way you guys want her to grow is into perfection, I don't want that. When I made Yori I made her in a very specific way, and for very specific reasons; the fear of fire and the scarred throat is her core, you take the core away and your left with a hollow shell.
And also, no amount of comfort would save her from a heart attack, that is just not how the human brain/psyche works, even in the fictional world it still wouldn't work.
No need to worry about heart attacks. One of the orphans will have that covered.

Also... if a fear of fire and a scarred throat is all she is, then you have all the bigger job in seeing something grow where nothing is. Fire or non. Such is the purpose of these powers.

so in other words you are only denying my ideas for the sole reason you want her to have this power? That is just sad.

I did not say that is all she is, once again you prove you take things out of context, all because I said that those are her core traits doesn't mean that's all she is.

I refuse to speak with you on this subject any longer,
period. My discussion will be with the real gm of this roleplay, cloudy, for it seems like her words of "We're just trying to help you have the best experience you possibly can" do not apply to you at all.

Perfection? No, no one is perfect, we aren't striving for that. We are striving for growth. Growth isn't perfection, but it's certainly helps to better yourself.

Keep in mind this is magical comfort.

Fed, King is the real GM of this roleplay just as much as I am. He is my right hand man, he is vital to the roleplay, and I expect he be respected as much as you would respect me. King only wants the best for you and Yori too. We are giving you suggestions, we are not denying anything, we are simply stating facts as to why WE think giving Yori fire manipulation would be good for her. We think it's a cool idea, and we put a lot of time and consideration into it. If you truly do not like it, say so and we will come up with something else, all three of us.

If you don't wish to speak to King then I don't see the point of speaking with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back