Experiences On a scale of 1-10, how cringey were your first roleplays? Were they cringey at all?

Oh ho ho... My first several role-plays were about as cringe as cringe can get.

Neither I, nor anyone I rp'd with, knew the first thing about telling a story or keeping in character. So personalities changed on the fly, events took place that didn't make any personal or narrative sense, side quests galore with no tie ins to the central story of the RP, etc, etc ad infinitum. Looking back, I can't help but laugh at how bad it was.

Cheers!

So I think I was lucky in that I joined roleplays manned by people with good ideas and overall okay execution of those ideas.

Indeed one of the first roleplays I joined where I could write full paragraphs per post lasted four years. To this day it’s one of the most well executed roleplays I have ever been in.

But even the other early roleplays were kinda fine in terms of how they were run. And insofar as there was character development it was also okay.

The biggest issue with those first few ones (outside the four year roleplay) was writing. In that there were no standards for post length so you would swing from paragraph posts to one sentence posts and back again.

It's probably best that I can't remember what my early RPs looked like. But I do remember specifically bending every single canon to my 10 year old will with the most ridiculous things you can imagine.

I would be very surprised to see anyone first starting out not having cringe roleplays and characters. It was awful. My first roleplay. It was a group setting. No one knew what they were doing which is how it became a free for all where canon characters jumped in. The setting was supposedly Medieval but high tech guns were involved. People pulled sandwiches to eat out of nowhere. No type of character development. Yuck.

Edit: 10!

Last edited:
My very first character was in a Star Trek roleplay on AIM back in the AOL days. He was an engineer on a starship. Completely normal right?

Wrong. Whenever the ship came under attack, I always had my guy get hot by one of the exploding consoles.

It's very cringy to think about now though. Lol. :-p

Oddly enough, my first ever couple roleplays weren’t anything I’d consider all that bad. I had a good character concept, which worked out to a suitably quirky and interesting character. It was simpler and less developed than anything I would see myself writing today, but it was far from cringey or poorly made.

Much of what came after was… pretty bad though, in terms of cringe. Making a character a spokesperson for my IRL religion, an extremely edgy character (get possessed by an evil spirit and a police officer in the gut with claws because the mood is a little too nice level of edgy), and eve that initial character underwent some changes that resulted in me trying to make a prophetic sort of character (and learning the hard way the difficulties inherent in that sort of character). There were other decent characters and even the ones I mentioned (for the last part) felt they had some parts of them even today I think are well done, but I simply lacked the experience to understand certain boundaries and to have more grounded expectations on what could and should be done in RP.

Then, when I started on deviantArt, again my first character wasn’t all that bad, and it would go on to be the first OC I would re-use, and to be the inspiration for my Euphorium world, which I would use in several RPs as well. Other RPs on deviantArt were about what you’d expect from that site’s reputation quality-wise, and would have me quickly leave again. There were a couple more places I tried, and had some nice RPs, and plenty of bad ones, though those I recall more vaguely and it’s hard to say given the mixed results on the prior roleplays… There is at least one Skype RP that became very memorable for me, one of the only instances of a chat RP kind of working out for me, but even then I think that RP was in large part carried by the excellent partner I had and I’m not sure to what extent I can I contributed to that RP, especially as the more long-form and detailed style that I loved was not one I had yet properly grasped in my own writing at the time (in fact, I seem to recall that partner actually did something I find to be an extremely rare feat - consistent, swift, long, detailed, quality posts. Generally people among speed, length and quality, one can balance two as a focus, and I’ve only ever really encountered two instances of all three being so consistently achieved).

All in all, if I were to put it on a 1-10 cringe scale, and this scale includes both low quality and outright cringe (so 1 being basically no cringe/bad RPs/characters and 10 being an incessant amount of 13 year old behavior that makes people want to delete their hard drives out of shame) I’d put it on a 3.5, I had my very bad moments, but my first couple instances of RPing were nothing I would say was bad and overall it was something I feel needed refinement and experience on boundary-setting, so it wasn’t particularly bad, I think. For comparison, I’d say it’s more like a 1.5 or a 2 nowadays, as I am aware that I often like to tackle weird concepts or characters, add elements that are fun but I know can be cringeworthy if not done with the right people (stuff like adding certain anime elements, which while I like to play with tropes is really only something that will work with someone else who is really into it), and there are some points I’d like to work on in regards to improving my writing style.

I'd say at least 5 lol Wasn't tooo bad but nothing good either. so I'll settle on middle ground.

Since everyone else is sharing theirs, might as well share mine:

My first was on War Dragons. Yes, you heard that correctly. It was so god awful.

I was playing a monster who was the only one alive after a plague attacked and killed his entire family, leaving him heavily deformed. Which sounds decent on paper, but what I did with him was so, AGHHH

He was the most edgy thing I’d ever witnessed. Bordering on a psychopath. The dude would literally go out and slaughter villages, for FUN.

The other rp players were actually decent. One going through a character arc of learning magic. But still.

It was so frustrating to look back and remember.

Overall a solid 20. Worst character ever.

Last edited:
So I’m gonna break it up into two scores cuz otherwise the Xavier School will fuck the metric.

Chicken smoothie simple roleplays (no word limit) I would say probably 5.

Xavier’s School (first paragraph roleplay) 0. Honestly I would still join it today if the site was active and I had the time.

Now that’s judging the overall roleplays themselves not my specific contribution to them.

If we go by my character and writing style ::

Chicken smoothie :: honestly probably 6-7
The OCs were consistent and my writing was good it’s just they were pretty clear edgy self-inserts.

Xavier’s School :: 6-4 I actually improved drastically during my run with the roleplay. But my first few characters were pretty poorly constructed. All gimmick no backbone.

I had fun though and my final OC for the roleplay was someone who I used for years so she had staying power.

Bruh! My first roleplay was the best shit ever! My first ever roleplay was a combination of LARPing and Writing. I used to talk about the world with my friends and then LARP the important parts in the most epic way possible, and then during the week we put it to paper and start plotting the next step of the story.

I was a baby boy back then (13??), so the story was honestly kind of shit and messy in a narrative sense, but I poured my soul into it. It helped me explore and discover parts of myself, and work through the challenges of growing up. And I was not the only one, I know my friends did the same.

It was an action-adventure story starting a troubled delinquent finding himself in a misterious jail cell of hell with an imprisoned ex-grim reaper, whom which his fate becomes intrinsically tied with. And then the two protagonists go through an incredible journey begining with an epic escape from hell, exploring a dystopian future, battling through heaven, raising the next generation, stopping the apocalypse and confronting the Omnicient, All-Powerful GOD itself.

It was EPIC, and the kind of setting only an unhinged teenager with an overactive imagination could come up with. Though it was mostly based on the christian myth, there were other myths and legends mixed in there. There was romance, drama, and batshit insane fights. Ive been wanted to rework it into a novel but I dont think it will work that well. Maybe as a videogame though.

Still, its unforgettable. I've far surpased my storytelling abilities, but I have yet to match the level of hype. I could talk about it all day.

lolll well one of the first times i ever rp'd was with a classmate, and we literally texted each other replies.
i think the content was cringier than anything else, considering we were sixth graders rping romantic Drarry stuff via text message dsfjkfdgdf

probably a good 8/10

I'd be absolutely shocked if somebody WASN'T cringed-out or embarrassed by their first roleplays. That, or concerned that they haven't improved at all or they're still starting out as a young/new roleplayer. But it's nice to hear other people's stories.

A lot of my first actual roleplays were on ROBLOX with RPGs like Mandaka's Warrior Cats Lake Territory game, and uhhh... safe to say, I was huge into making weird superpowered cats like a perfectly normal orange cat that was born with a scorpion tail, or a tuxedo that could camouflage. Also a cat named "Toxicbow" that could spit extremely toxic venom like a spitting cobra.
Cause y'know. Gotta make superpowered cats with bright neon green paws and spitting fanged teeth.

(Oh, and it'd be probably around an 8 or a 9.)

Last edited:
My first one I did with my cousin and he refer to it as the molerat to this day and love telling people about it cause it was so awful.

Basically the story consisted of 3 characters a mom a daughter and a secret boyfriend who was like a knight I think? It was a while ago. But the daughter was hiding the boyfriend from the mom cause they didn't want them to know. Eventually the mom sent the daughter to boarding school and when the daughter came back that found the mother marrying the boyfriend, of which the daughter got sad and ran away and dug herself into the ground and transformed into a molerat.

This was years ago and happened in my cousin's basement on Minecraft x box 360 with her friend. I hate and love this rp so much.

Ohhh let's take a look at my main character when I first joined RpN.

Self-insert that was the same age, gender, and height? ✅
Cat ears? ✅
Horns? ✅
Wings? ✅
Special eyes? ✅
Only one/last of her kind? ✅
Outcast loner who's learned to survive on their own, despite being a tween? ✅
Master thief somehow? ✅
Terrible, uncontrollable beast trapped inside? ✅
"I don't make friends because they all end up dead in the end" ✅✅✅✅✅

So like an 8 I guess

I would rate it a 5. It wasn’t cringey but it wasn’t good either. Sure, there were some moments that I wish I could unsee but that is apart of growing. My first roleplay was a highschool roleplay.

I started off "roleplaying" on Flipagram (does that even still exist?) when I was like, maybe 9 years old? I think that says it all lol I give that a 10 on the cringe meter without a doubt.

That being said, I consider my "official" roleplay takeoff when I joined this site and on the cringe level, I give it around a 7 or 8. I had fun though and I don't regret it, but sometimes I'll go back and just shake my head at the things I wrote or how I made characters act.

But if I didn't roleplay then, who knows how my writing would be now! The improvement is definitely worth the internal wincing whenever I go back and read old posts of mine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back