• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic NCQuest: Mecha-flavor tactical action in an after-apocalyptic future

Windsock

Two Thousand Club
NCQ: An IntroductionThe year is 2471. Two hundred years ago, Mankind subjected itself and the entirety of the Earth to the 'Great Disaster', a cataclysmic event that shattered continents and changed the landscape forevermore; precipitating a century and a half of undiluted chaos that has only recently stabilized. Mankind continues to survive and reclaim the reborn planet. Humanity has been split into two broad groups, which nonetheless maintain rivalries in their own spheres as well as without: The Ruling Companies and the Ruling Nations, collectively known as "The Ruling Powers" by the rest of those seeking to control their own portions of the world, the various unaligned polities and city-states.

The Ruling Nations are descendants of those who were forced to survive on the surface, who nonetheless banded together and took control of their homelands. The Ruling Companies trace their lineage to the mega-corporations that foresaw the Great Disaster and slept away the apocalypse in underground city-complexes, 'Burrows'. The rest are those that eke out their existences between these two greater groups.

These entities oversee an uneasy peace in the modern era, but skirmishes and brush-fire conflicts are an everyday thing; minor territory exchanges and disputes rule the day and not a week goes by where hundreds or thousands have died across the world in some meaningless battle somewhere or other. Nonetheless, this cold world is mediated by a variety of international and inter-corporate groups, the foremost of which is a guild called MAVERICK.

'MAVERICK' is the organization which oversees, controls, and employs 'Neural Combatants' and their pilots, 'Pluggers'. NC's, as they're called, are the modern expression of the tip-of-the-spear, a mechanical champion that's the star of most modern conflicts. The battleship of the day, Neural Combatants are fifteen meter tall humanoid-or-semi-humanoid war machines that only a select few, compatible with the necessary surgeries and cybernetic implants to control these combat-mecha, can utilize. But their power is fearsome; and Pluggers can change the tide of wars in a single day.

This story follows the latest inductees into the organization, the class of '70 who discovered their Gift and forsook their old lives to become who they are today. The curtain opens simply; as these individuals are brought to see the latest batch of NC's made by an affiliate of MAVERICK and pick the ones they'll start their careers with.

Further Preliminary Information
Neural Combatants are fifteen meter (50 feet) tall, humanoid combat vehicles using unconventional technologies, construction, and their unique control method to dominate a battle-space. Powered by miniaturized thorium reactors with thermocouple functionality allowing flight, with standard movement and payload capacity offered by synthetic musculature stocks, their dense frames are innately difficult to damage and offer performance befitting their exorbitant costs.

Standardization is only a weak reality; every NC, even in records from before the Disaster, could only be built singly, or at best in small batches. Each NC is a unique specimen, at the very least having its own quirks compared to its direct siblings, necessitating large groups commonly called 'Shoppes' to maintain and service these titans individually. These 'Shoppes' are divided into Primary and Secondary grades depending on their ability to fully manufacture new NC's, or just to modify them afterwards. Indeed, NC's are surprisingly malleable to further modifications, growing alongside their pilots as they gain experience and solidify their own tastes.

NC's are very capable machines despite all these special needs; a well-designed, optimized NC with a battle-hardened Plugger is easily capable of fighting small armies by itself. Almost every NC is capable of at least limited flight, and their electric hearts can power all kinds of advanced weapon systems, not to mention lug around tonnes of armor.

They can be considered a vehicular or macroscale example of special forces soldiers: High-cost, high-maintenance units that can nonetheless be expected to go anywhere and fight anything. NC pilots can come to be very rich, after paying off their initial debts to MAVERICK and coming to be a respected contractor.

Every NC in the world is monitored and employed under MAVERICK, if at all possible. The few extant that aren't affiliated with the organization are called 'Irregulars' and hunted down to be terminated or subverted at the earliest opportunity. MAVERICK estimates that there are 70 Neural Combatants on the world stage; eleven of those are not affiliated with the organization.
MAVERICK and its attending NC pilots have a unique relationship. Every associated Plugger is guaranteed a small selection of 'Handlers' to choose from, but can purchase exclusivity rights in an auction or private agreements if a particular assistant is desired. Furthermore, they're allowed to pick what contracts they desire to pursue at any one time, and can modify their machines however they wish. As long as their debts are paid (and they agree to do occasional direct-from-MAVERICK work) they're ultimately free to do what they want.

Anybody can request to hire an NC, from world leaders, terrorist warlords, private military firms, to industrial magnates. MAVERICK prides itself on its political neutrality and professionalism. Pilots are allowed many eccentricities, but once they're on a mission MAVERICK itself offers little direct physical assistance. MAVERICK NC's can even be hired to fight against one another in the same operation; MAVERICK doesn't filter out or 'game' requests to prevent this. Of course, killing another NC and its pilot is difficult in the first place. 'True-Kills' are rare and usually need to be specifically sought out in a battle; NC's that are 'Mission-Killed' (read: totaled) can expect to be dragged back to their base of operations.

MAVERICK pilots are graded in the five-tier 'Rating' systems; Each member of a 'Rate' is roughly equal, but numbered to delineate a certain 'seniority'. First-Rates are the best of the best, with Fifth-Rates being the greenhorns who have yet to prove themselves in any meaningful way. Pilots across the rates have a variety of traditions, the two most popular being "The Pseudonym" and "The Challenge". In short; every NC has a name and emblem associated with it, no matter the current owner or its service history. An NC pilot is expected to respond only to this name when on an operation; on the job, they are their NC. Relatedly, whenever two NC's meet, even during a stealth operation, they have to announce themselves when they see one another and offer greetings, at minimum.

Another tradition is the Sponsorship; senior pilots oftentimes present themselves to new Pluggers they've heard good about and offer an advisory or teaching role; passing down NC equipment and wisdom, while usually helping to pay off the junior pilots' debts. In return, the Sponsoring pilot expects a wingman and can divert lesser contracts they've accepted or otherwise send them on errands. Some of these teacher-student chains trace themselves back even before the Disaster.
We enter this story through the perspectives of the newly inducted pilots of MAVERICK, who recently finished their basic training and are seeking out their first machines. They've been brought to the Americas, in what used to be Colorado. More specifically, the HQ of an associate 'Shoppe' (NC construction/modification group) of the MAVERICK organization, the General Requisitions' Neural Combatant Division, or just the 'GR-NCD' for short.

As suggested by their name, they're further connected with the largest of the Ruling Companies, General Requisitions; a megacorporation that controls a good portion of the Americas on its own, most notable for operating a good chunk of the transportation and communication industries. The pilots would've been told of the details; the facility is considered the headquarters for the entire GR-NCD, and is the only one where they build new NC's from scratch. Their latest batch of Combatant's have just been completed, all following the same rough templates. As such machines are want to do, each of the nine has almost certainly acquired strange quirks or developed differently.

They'll be meeting with the head developer, a man named James Andala, who will be leading them on an inspection of the units and discussing them. A pair of assistants sent by MAVERICK, 'Handlers', will be on-site to deal with the associated paperwork and offer whatever other help may be necessary. As the selection of a pilot's first NC is a somewhat public event, seasoned NC pilots will likely come as guests and may seek to take on a novice as a student. Or just mingle and talk shit, who knows?

OOCHowdy! I've been cooking up what you just read for a while (and a bunch of other hidden behind-the-scenes stuffs) and am finally looking for players. I'm looking for up to 2 or 3 more people, I already have 2 who have expressed interest and I think 4~5 is a nice number.

Anyway, this RP is, as aforementioned, centered around tacticool mecha action and the people who pilot the rad battle robots in a future where the earth got all screwed up and it's just barely begun to return to normal. The players will be acting as mercenaries, and maybe some related characters, and going through a lightly prepared, but still freeform story. I've got a basic outline of what I'd like to happen, but I'm open to suggestions. As long as you work with me, I'll work with you.

The necessary materials (CS, further background details, etc) will be posted when either asked or when I deem them necessary. I'm looking to get the ball rolling by the end of this month, and get truly 'going' by next month. I'm not sure about this next part, but I'm looking to have the RP divided into specific 'episodes' of a few posts by each person, I hope this will act as a time limit and help move the story forwards. I find that reasonable deadlines and limitations help breed my own creativity.

I hope this finds plenty of interest and we write out something enjoyable together!​

Ah-ha! Been looking for a mech styled roleplay, since another burned out pretty quick. I can definitely get behind this!

One question though, will there be a more detailed description of what the mechs are capable of and what they're not? Just wanted to know before any confusion occurs!

One question though, will there be a more detailed description of what the mechs are capable of and what they're not? Just wanted to know before any confusion occurs!

Yep! I've got plenty wrote down, but for my own sanity and to make everything easier to digest I figured I'd post things as they get asked. Anyway, the basic synopsis is that NC's are pretty comparable to Gundams or Armored Cores (my most obvious influences here). In short, they can fly around, but not as well as air superiority fighters or anything. Think 'helicopter' and not 'su-37'. I figured they're comparable in overall mass and 'girthiness' to big bombers, after all, so supermaneuverability is out of the question, unless the NC involved is pretty much dedicated to that sort of thing.

In terms of actual combat abilities, you can consider them the lower end of naval ships, but, y'know, battle robots. An average NC can rip the turret off a tank and throw it like rock with some effort, but they can't just grab a building and lift it off the foundations. Their strength, of course, lets them lug around really big guns; one or two huge artillery pieces comparable to a battleship's gun is very plausible, but most just have conventional, tank or plane style kinetic weapons, and some zany energy weapons like plasma torches or laser cannons. Railguns and ETC weapons are also on the menu.

Another factor I want kept in mind is that even though they (usually) have a nuclear reactor of some sort in them (I imagine thorium-fission reactors or early fusion reactors are the most common), they're still limited machines that can't do everything at once. Basically; an NC can punch through a building, power big scary electricity hungy weapons, or do crazy aerial maneuvers. Pick one, maybe two.

So the overall flavor of what NC's can do is 'Real Robot', but I still want to see creativity on what that actually means. Extreme examples of NC's can do extreme things; The NC equivelant of the Panzer-Maus can act like it, and so can one that's pretty much an f-22 act like an f-22 in comparison. See what you can get away with! Just don't try anything out of Mazinger Z. Oh, and if you wanna try out something zany, please notify me first.

If you'd like a CS or anything, feel free to ask!

Last edited:
Ah great, a lot of flexibility then. I'll have to look at Gundams and Armored Cores to get a general idea of what you'd like. Though the CS that I built for the other mech roleplay was pretty much focused on a heavy support role, (Like logistics that sort of stuff) nothing too crazy in terms of firepower. I can send it to you if you'd like to see what flows with the style of this roleplay and I'll adjust it where needed.

I can send it to you if you'd like to see what flows with the style of this roleplay and I'll adjust it where needed.
I'd love to! But be aware; everyone is getting a 'starter' NC that's nonetheless tweaked to their specifications in-RP at first. You'll be able to modify it to your heart's content (within reason in the story) afterwards, but for story/integrity reasons you won't be able to just come out the gate with a very specific, specialized and custom-made machine. But, besides, send that bad boi in. I'm willing to negotiate some.

Also, I'd like to hear what sort of character you might already have in mind as well.

Just finished these bad boys: these are the preliminary character sheet templates for NCQ. I'd like detail, but a novella isn't expected. Please submit a preliminary CS to me directly for now, and then post it when a thread is up. Critique on the sheet's setup is welcome.

Players have 1 pilot character, and may request to have additional characters, as long as they're somehow related to the first character in a distinct way. (Friends, family members, spouse, etc). Please add addendums to them as things happen to them in story (e.g. they go through character development)

Full Name: Character's full name, and nicknames.

Age: A precise number or a basic range are acceptable. Nonetheless, pilots never start out old, and training takes a while; please limit yourself to the early twenties to mid thirties at maximum.

History: Character's basic history and background. Where are they from and how did they get where they are today? Pilots' backgrounds can be quite diverse. Are they from a Burrow or the surface? Do they have a pre-existing military history? Or were they purely civilian up until a chance encounter? What inspired them to take the plunge? Maybe they come from a long line of people who've had the 'Trait', but they were the first to actually make use of it? As long as it seems plausible, you can put down anything. I'm open to private discussion on this topic.

Personality: What's this character like? Don't use obvious language like 'pleasant until you piss them off', be more specific. What are some habits they may have? Are they a private, introspective person or do they never stop talking? Do they have strong political opinions? What are they scared of? What happens when they're under emotional duress? Do they never get emotional? How vicious can they be? Are they still a good person? You don't have to answer every question right out of the gate, but please consider these when writing down a basic overview of who they are and submitting it. I'm open to further developing a character over time; they don't need to have a mythos before we even start.

Skills: What are they actually good or bad at? Not just in an NC; what and what aren't they capable of as their own person? Do they have a history as a pit-fighter? Maybe they went through a period as a skilled accountant? Did they win any marksmanship competitions? Can they cook well? Do they have an engineering degree? Do they know how to dismantle a computer while blindfolded? Are they good with money? Not everything gets brought up, but this can help round out a character and give you ideas.

Appearance: Finally.. how do they look? Do they dress well? Are they a bit overweight? How do they talk? Do they have a notable accent? Are they particularly tall or short? How long do they grow their hair out? How do they walk, and run, and jump? Do they ever smile, or do they exude a constant air of mild displeasure? Do they lighten up a room by being there, or do they clear it out? Do they have a weird smell, like motor oil?

Misc: Anything else you can think of.

NC sheets will not be necessary at first, as the player characters will pick their first NC in the opening 'episode' of the RP. Nonetheless, one will be provided for posterity, based on the starter NC selection. Each NC from the starter selection will have 'quirks' revealed in-story. Afterwards, players will receive their starter NC's CS (from me), with quirks making it differ from this basic CS. They'll be expected to add addendums as it's modified/replaced in-story.

Name: 2471-X (1-9). The NC's are currently unnamed.

Emblem/Heraldry: The NC's of batch 2471 have no heraldry as of yet. Every NC is given an emblem and a name at the same time.

Historical Details: The NC's of batch 2471 have no battlefield history; but have been noted publicly to be perhaps the most well-done production run of NC's in a long while. Their designer, James Andala, has been incredibly happy with their development and is almost sad to see them go. Although they all use the same template, some have already shown unique developments and 'happy-accidents', but no information is publicly available about the specifics. No major accidents have been recorded either.

Construction/Modifications/Aesthetics: The 2471-X models are all based off of a 15 meter tall, standard bipedal configuration with human-like, but not exact proportions. The overall aesthetic is best described as 'utilitarian' but not quite boring. Their head is a relatively basic spherical shape ending in a semi-transparent visor hiding two sensor arrays like eyes. The chest is a standard cabin with an attached backpack where the reactor assembly is; the top half is dominated by a radiator grill, while the bottom meeting with the hips, is where the backward thruster exhausts are. There are two further thrust exhausts coming outside of side-plates on the hips.

Their limbs are cylindrical, with the arms ending in the usual five fingered hands. The units shoulder casing goes somewhat above the chest, and off to the side. Additional weapon mounts are at the tips of these pauldrons. The legs' knee armor rise above the joint itself. All these joints are covered in a thick, tarp covering, resistant to small arms fire but not vehicular weapons. Currently, they're entirely unpainted.

Capabilities/Limitations: The 2471-X's are all, to a specimen, actually quite capable. Although 'batch NC's' are stereotypically considered crude and trashy, this production run managed a good balance of performance. Overall standard maneuverability is comparable to a lightly encumbered human, and each NC is capable of flight comparable to most helicopters. Additionally, they have good armor endurance records (weathering small tank cannons in testing), good overall energy efficiency, and strength able to tear apart most military vehicles if necessary.

Due to their designer's belief that a 'batch NC' should have expandibility already in mind, they should be quite easy to modify and have unused spaces and reactor capacity already. They have human-equivalent sensor technology across the board as standard, and already have mounting ports for additional sensor technology. Stock communication options include a military loudspeaker and a high-powered radio transciever. A well-done, but basic firing control system is installed, but it doesn't really add onto a human's own limitations, and can't remotely operate or guide munitions.

For all the work went into their design, they're just not optimized for any role yet, and are still going to go through teething issues. Further, personalized modification is almost mandatory to see the full performance of these machines. They were ordered as a basic model to be added onto later, and this is obvious everywhere you look in the design specifications.

Standard Loadout: The 2471-X's have no weapons to speak of integrated into themselves; however, they have 4 weapon hardpoints, two as 'holster' style mounts and two shoulder racks, meant for larger weapons like rifles or axes.

Additional/Optional Items: The 2471-X's have no further items stored either.

Interested though, if I may ask, what did you have in mind as far as story goes? Are we freelance or under MAVERICK?

Any room for one more? I love getting into made-up part numbers and technical specifications.
Won't be absolutely necessary, but I like the enthusiasm! If you've any ideas you'd like to share, please submit them to me in private, I'd love to hear them.

I am here, and I would indeed like to join.
You're pre-approved, goober.

Interested though, if I may ask, what did you have in mind as far as story goes? Are we freelance or under MAVERICK?
I made a synopsis of how we're going to start out and our first little 'episode': Basically, we're going to follow the player's characters as they receive a selection to choose from as their first NC's. They'll be brought to a MAVERICK associated facility in Colorado, owned by the leading megacorp, and pick 1 of 9 options. Since anything the size and specification of an NC is bound to get built a little differently, it'll be the first option of customization, alongside telling the lead engineer who designed them what other modifications they'd like and what weapons they'd want to start with. These NC's are theirs, but they'll still be indebted for them to MAVERICK, who payed for them.

Anyway, MAVERICK is the organization that does its best to corral/monitor/control all NC's on the planet, due to their power. Every NC that isn't operating under MAVERICK is considered non-regulated and thus called an 'Irregular', and is generally treated how you might treat a traitorous deserter from an army or vigilante: Either bring them in or take them out. The player characters discovered they have the necessary trait making them compatible with the NC piloting implants/an NC, went through MAVERICK, and are considered members of MAVERICK. Of course, MAVERICK still allows NC pilots a measure of freedom; you can pick what contracts you take on and whatnot.

I would like to request a 'phrase list' for in-universe lingo.

A great idea, It'll be an opportunity to give some more lore-y tidbits anyway. Expect that later today.

Interested, but would like to know more about the world itself, outside of NCs. I get that it is post-apocalyptic, but is this world recovering from a Fallout-esque nuclear holocaust or was the Great Disaster some 'other' kind of world-shattering event? How different is life on the surface versus life in the Burrows and what are the technology levels and culture like?

Interested, but would like to know more about the world itself, outside of NCs. I get that it is post-apocalyptic, but is this world recovering from a Fallout-esque nuclear holocaust or was the Great Disaster some 'other' kind of world-shattering event? How different is life on the surface versus life in the Burrows and what are the technology levels and culture like?

All very good questions! I'd like there to be some mystery (for ponderings) in-universe about the Great Disaster, but here's the gist of it that's known already. Yes, there was some nuclear Armageddon, but I used 'after-apocalyptic' and not 'post' for a reason; the world healed, but it definitely isn't the same as it was before. Climate change, 'regular' or greatly accelerated through some strange mechanism, melted the ice-caps and changed biomes. I figure the sahara is a marshy wetland, for example, now. There's probably quite a few massive craters that made new lakes and small inland oceans dotted about; not just made by standard nukes, either. There's new wildlife that nobody can explain away by "uhh.. mutations?", and obviously artificial plagues likely descended from bioweapons that happen every so often. The world has a status quo again, but weird shit is definitely still going on, even if it's more rare nowadays.

The people that had to survive all this on the surface, of course, are definitely used to more of that weird shit than we are; life on the surface is closer to the wild west than anything else, even if 'civilization' is only one town away instead of on the other coast. The new terrain is often treacherous; new canyons where once were plains, mountains smashed apart, that sort of thing. Not impossible to move through, but national highways certainly haven't been restored.

The general technology level for most people is 'not quite 20 minutes into the future', but ranging between -10 and +10 minutes. Things that aren't quite there yet in real life are here, but since the infrastructure all got fucked up everything has to be more independent; the reborn internet is in its infancy and it's back to eye-searing 80's web design. For the average joe, lever actions and horses are more common than AR-15's and dirtbikes, even if the latter is available. Things managed to be built pretty tough before the Disaster, though, so some people go spelunking and get real lucky and find something real cool like an old electric car that still works, but sometimes they wake up military drones who don't have IFF protocols anymore and start breaking shit.

Most people on the surface basically live lives somewhere between ours and somebody out on the cowboy frontier. "Comfier, non-50's-campy fallout" is more or less what I had in mind.

Anyway, life in the Burrows is definitely way better and actually 20 minutes into the future, but way more monitored and controlled. Nobody is allowed to starve, but if you don't contribute to your society like a good little drone you lose most of your rights, or worse. It isn't Star Trek where there's food replicators and no money; money is everything, cause these burrows are ultimately controlled by the megacorporations that built them (or at least their descendants). The safest, most obviously-pleasant place to live, but you're always being watched and dissent will get noticed.

I wrote this in two minutes but forgot to post it smh

Last edited:
All very good questions! I'd like there to be some mystery (for ponderings) in-universe about the Great Disaster, but here's the gist of it that's known already. Yes, there was some nuclear Armageddon, but I used 'after-apocalyptic' and not 'post' for a reason; the world healed, but it definitely isn't the same as it was before. Climate change, 'regular' or greatly accelerated through some strange mechanism, melted the ice-caps and changed biomes. I figure the sahara is a marshy wetland, for example, now. There's probably quite a few massive craters that made new lakes and small inland oceans dotted about; not just made by standard nukes, either. There's new wildlife that nobody can explain away by "uhh.. mutations?", and obviously artificial plagues likely descended from bioweapons that happen every so often. The world has a status quo again, but weird shit is definitely still going on, even if it's more rare nowadays.

The people that had to survive all this on the surface, of course, are definitely used to more of that weird shit than we are; life on the surface is closer to the wild west than anything else, even if 'civilization' is only one town away instead of on the other coast. The new terrain is often treacherous; new canyons where once were plains, mountains smashed apart, that sort of thing. Not impossible to move through, but national highways certainly haven't been restored.

The general technology level for most people is 'not quite 20 minutes into the future', but ranging between -10 and +10 minutes. Things that aren't quite there yet in real life are here, but since the infrastructure all got fucked up everything has to be more independent; the reborn internet is in its infancy and it's back to eye-searing 80's web design. For the average joe, lever actions and horses are more common than AR-15's and dirtbikes, even if the latter is available. Things managed to be built pretty tough before the Disaster, though, so some people go spelunking and get real lucky and find something real cool like an old electric car that still works, but sometimes they wake up military drones who don't have IFF protocols anymore and start breaking shit.

Most people on the surface basically live lives somewhere between ours and somebody out on the cowboy frontier. "Comfier, non-50's-campy fallout" is more or less what I had in mind.

Anyway, life in the Burrows is definitely way better and actually 20 minutes into the future, but way more monitored and controlled. Nobody is allowed to starve, but if you don't contribute to your society like a good little drone you lose most of your rights, or worse. It isn't Star Trek where there's food replicators and no money; money is everything, cause these burrows are ultimately controlled by the megacorporations that built them (or at least their descendants). The safest, most surface-pleasant place to live, but you're always being watched and dissent will get noticed.

I wrote this in two minutes but forgot to post it smh
Nice. That suits the character I have in mind. I'd like to play a (former) scavenger of some sort; someone whose family or small clan works with machines. They probably are/were mechanics by trade, and NCs are the holy grail for such people. Maybe she had an ancestor who was an NC pilot, but no one since then has had 'The Right Stuff'... until now. Queue dramatic music and 80s training montage, lol.

I like the idea of someone who is an owner/operator/mechanic. Someone who does it all, instead of just hopping behind the wheel of something built/tuned/maintained by other people. She would definitely try to make her NC her own, and probably start by ripping out as much over-engineered techno-bullshit as possible, haha.

Count me in.

As requested by Malphaestus Malphaestus , here's a list of relevant in-universe terminology and slang I cooked up. Feel free to suggest anything else you think sounds kewl.

"Plugger/Linker": A term used to refer to NC pilots specifically, "Plugger" is seen as at most mildly vulgar, like 'Grunt'. "Linker" is an alternative seen as more polite, similar to 'Specialist'. Ultimately interchangeable.

"Intuitions": The catch-all term for the advanced perspective of a person in an NC: A strange fusion of augmented reality and just 'knowing' information the NC gives you. As an NC is directly linked to a pilot's nervous system using a neck-port (or more), the pilot's own senses are dulled, but they gain the superhuman sensory data of an NC to chew through. An NC pilot just knows how hot their weapon is, how fast they're going, that the dot on the horizon is an enemy plane (if the NC has proper RADAR installed), due to the NC's own diagnostics.

"Irregular": A Linker/NC not affiliated with MAVERICK in anyway; Irregulars are like vigilantes or terrorists, and calling a MAVERICK an Irregular is usually seen as an insult, less of a "Rogue", more "Convict". MAVERICK takes Irregulars very seriously, as an NC not beholden to any organization is like somebody holding the detonator for a small nuke or being able to control a battleship singlehandedly; very dangerous.

"MAVERICK's Ratings": MAVERICK rates NC pilots on a grading scale of one through five: First-Rates are the best of the best, who can truly accomplish all the legends you hear of singlehandedly taking on armies. Fifth-Rates are the greenhorns who are only able to handle basic operations. An earlier iteration of this used the ranks of ancient aristocracy; and some older pilots still use "Baron" in place of "Fifth-Rate", or "Prince" instead of "Second-Rate".

"Battle's greetings": A long-standing tradition, every NC pilot under MAVERICK is technically a co-worker in a certain way, even when acting as enemies on the battlefield. Due to this, a custom formed where NC's, upon first seeing one another, must communicate their presence to one another, even if this would ruin a stealth operation. Not partaking in this custom is considered rude.

"Imagery": Due to the minor loss of self when using an NC, pilots lose some control of their own body and are more comfortable moving the NC's limbs compared to their own. Relatedly, another common tradition is to consider a pilot 'on the job', as their NC directly; John Doe is the pilot of the NC Grunt, but when he's piloting Grunt, he answers to Grunt.

I'm certainly missing a lot, but this should be a good starter. Good excuse for more deepest lore too.

Anyway...

Nice. That suits the character I have in mind. I'd like to play a (former) scavenger of some sort ... Maybe she had an ancestor who was an NC pilot, but no one since then has had 'The Right Stuff'... until now. Queue dramatic music and 80s training montage, lol.

I like the idea of someone who is an owner/operator/mechanic.

Count me in.

Sounds lovely! Please submit your preliminary CS to me in private, and anything else you can think of to talk about.

Alright, since this is definitely a good amount of interest I'll be making the actual thread starting today. Expect it up either later today or tomorrow.

Don't think to leave me lonely, though, if any of you have something to show me or ask me, please do so. It inspires me, you know.

I'm interested as I really enjoyed a number of the Armored Core games. Just a couple of questions for right now. Are the PCs working as a group or are we individually doing things for the most part? How quick do you plan on each episode going. Sorry if these were covered in your first post, I'm reading this on my phone at work whenever I get a free moment.

I'm interested as I really enjoyed a number of the Armored Core games. Just a couple of questions for right now. Are the PCs working as a group or are we individually doing things for the most part? How quick do you plan on each episode going. Sorry if these were covered in your first post, I'm reading this on my phone at work whenever I get a free moment.

The thread for the OOC and CS are up, so you are aware.

I'm interested as I really enjoyed a number of the Armored Core games. Just a couple of questions for right now. Are the PCs working as a group or are we individually doing things for the most part? How quick do you plan on each episode going?

I'd like each 'episode' to be bi-monthly or just monthly at the absolute latest, but I'd definitely prefer weekly if at all possible.

Basically, a little bit of A, a little bit of B on the 'are the player characters supposed to be a team or not?'. I'm going to be using my GM powers to make sure they're around one another more often than not; but if any team identity truly forms I'd like it to develop naturally in-story. It should feel pretty natural in-story, since they're going to be their only true 'peers'. Still, if people want to go on lone operations away from the group for a while, I'll do my best to facilitate that.

Yeah and as malph said the OOC is up, here's the linku:

Quick question about this that I hope makes sense: will most of the roleplaying be as the Linkers, and we just switch to the NC's point of view when we're "on the job"? Or is the roleplaying going to be more like we're androids because we're going to be "on the job" all the time? The reason I ask because on the mecha side I'd love to join! I have a novel I've written from the POV of an alien mech with her pilot, and I've roleplaying plenty of robots. Problem is the human side of it: I haven't a clue what to do with that. XD Even with the story I wrote, the mech is the main character, and her pilot a secondary main. I'm also a huge fan of customization and I'm not sure how far I can go with that as the plot progresses (more humanoid versus less humanoid? Where's that line). So I can't decide if this roleplay would be for me or not (although even if it isn't I might still stalk the IC thread. Good mech stories are hard to find nowadays)... If you don't really have an answer for this that's fine too, as long as signups will remain open even after the RP starts, because then I can gauge what's expected of me by looking at other peoples' posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back