Other Music in RP

Zeev

I'm very pretentious
Wanted to get some general opinions on what people thought of posting music to go along with a written scene, this more applies to longer winded RPs but still.

I've never done it before but I kinda like the idea of adding music to writing for ambiance.
But it's somewhat similar in my mind to doing moodboards. Something nice and fancy to add to the overall feel of the rp and create the mood but unnecessary.

I'm not opposed to giving it a try however, and I may change my opinion after XD

E-e-eh, it's kind of posh in my opinion. Especially seeing how tastes differ. I had this experience just once - and since then I stopped listening to the "theme songs" - where I liked the group RP that was going on, desiring to join, but when I listened to teh soundtrack, I was absolutely disgusted by it, and aborted the mission immediately.

On the other hand, what I'll do for alternative universes, is providing references to national music, or popular music at that particular universe, which is not that important, and usually just revives around used instruments, but if someone is curious, they can get the hang of the local music. But giving RPs musical themes looks very over the top and bigheaded to me.

Haha I don't see anything wrong with it. Actually, if my partner posted up the song they felt described the scene they wrote for I would give it a listen. I like listening to music when I write or even when I read a partner's post so I'm all for it. Bring it on.

E-e-eh, it's kind of posh in my opinion. Especially seeing how tastes differ. I had this experience just once - and since then I stopped listening to the "theme songs" - where I liked the group RP that was going on, desiring to join, but when I listened to teh soundtrack, I was absolutely disgusted by it, and aborted the mission immediately.

On the other hand, what I'll do for alternative universes, is providing references to national music, or popular music at that particular universe, which is not that important, and usually just revives around used instruments, but if someone is curious, they can get the hang of the local music. But giving RPs musical themes looks very over the top and bigheaded to me.

calls it posh. but thinks its "absolutely disgusting." and ghosts people on that merit, yeah I don't think you have a place in calling people elitist.

Wanted to get some general opinions on what people thought of posting music to go along with a written scene, this more applies to longer winded RPs but still.
Done this before, highly recommend because it is fun as shit!!! I wouldn't enforce it on others but I have always tied music to my writing. So I like to make a post latout with a music link in it or YouTube vid to listen to. I thinks it's so much fun and let's me share what I am listening that inspires the writing.

Very rarely, it can be nice. Especially if it's like, trying to say "oh this song played". But just for ambiance, I think it can be nice every once in a while, just kind of struggles with the issues of timing. Usually a musical score is carefully timed to hit the right notes at the right moment and you can't really do that by putting a song in a post.

I tend to notice that a lot of the music people use tends to be obscure hipster shit I never heard of. Either that or my music tastes just aren't all that broad(and I think it's the former since I'll listen to music in pretty much any genre).

I tend to notice that a lot of the music people use tends to be obscure hipster shit I never heard of.
Huh. My experience is usually the opposite. Some "edgy" pop songs or such with what I guess are dubstep elements; or the tear-filled slow soft rock from teen dramas about how you cannot live without HER.
I might be very lucky on young female players, I guess XD

Huh. My experience is usually the opposite. Some "edgy" pop songs or such with what I guess are dubstep elements; or the tear-filled slow soft rock from teen dramas about how you cannot live without HER.
I might be very lucky on young female players, I guess XD

Could be an age difference since I tend to stick exclusively to 18+ crowds, being almost 30 myself.

Well, I don't check anyone's age, preferring to give everyone a chance. One of the best co-players I had was more than a decade younger than me, so in terms of age I'm not prejudiced.

It just feels awkward to me to play with those younger than 18, especially since I like to explore a lot of more mature themes through my writing.

It just feels awkward to me to play with those younger than 18, especially since I like to explore a lot of more mature themes through my writing.
Never really saw significance in this regard. A lot of young players cannot really support good drama, but not all of them. In my experience it's around 60:40, so I eagerly take my chances.

But, indeed, to each their own. I van be an uncle to be okay with younger players for both of us.

Not really against music in writing, especially if you feel like it's going to fit the scene. Actually posting it, though...is something I'd rather do in a story rather than an RP. I used to put an optional theme song section in my character skeletons back in an old RPing website, but after I've seen that 90% of characters usually have Monster by Skillet as their theme song, I quit putting that in.

The only exceptions I make for music in RP is if the scene involves music in some way, i.e a band performing.

I feel like this could work well with quest RPs or slower paced 1x1s. For group RPs or fast paced RPs in general, I think I would personally find it a bit too much - maybe that's also because I know that I would need quite a lot of time to find some even remotely fitting music for my posts.

I've never encountered music in RPs beyond theme songs for characters to be placed in the CS myself, though, so I'm just speculating here.

On the other hand, what I'll do for alternative universes, is providing references to national music, or popular music at that particular universe, which is not that important, and usually just revives around used instruments, but if someone is curious, they can get the hang of the local music.
That sounds like a great idea!

definitely depends on how its used. i feel like it disrupts the flow sometimes yk like if its just 'oh he was listening to this song specifically' if it has no relevance, but its really up to whoever's writing, im not particularly picky or anyth!

i think its cool to make playlists/moodboards/etc about a rp if thats ur style thats definitely something i do when im writing something or doing some sort of rp, if i hear a song that reminds me of it ill go ahead and make a playlist

I dunno about going with a post within the RP, but I think it can be fun for an interest check or possibly the first post setting the stage. A song can really get one in the mood for the time and place of the RP, especially historically based ones. For instance I did start a western themed RP a long while back, and included a Marty Robbins song in the interest check and/or first post.

On second thought, maybe it could work for some posts within an RP. It might set the stage in a speakeasy, saloon, nightclub, college dorm, or whatever else. But I think music as such should be used sparingly.

I used to enjoy but don't anymore.
I used to put lyrics into roleplays but then I found out how frustrating it, in fact, can be.
I suppose it's fun to make roleplay themed playlists but eh

I have used music to show the example of a song being played in a festival. I however understand how different people have different taste and may not like my idea of a good theme. Cool idea if you get the right people together.

I think it absolutely depends on the RP. For instance, right now I'm involved with a circus RP and whenever we make a post for a show (each character has an act), we include the background music that's playing for the routine in a spoiler in the post. I think music in RPs is fantastic when used correctly, but it should enhance a post, not act as a crutch for a post. I like to use it when there's actually music playing in the scene, since writing out lyrics comes across as "bad fanfiction scenario" to me and it's nice to actually be able to listen to the music that's being played in the scene.

I don't mind music being put it because I can simply not listen to it if I do not want to. I've used some theme songs here and there for characters and even a mood song for one of my group RPs, but I don't do it within IC posts myself. I don't really care much for them being put into the IC posts either since - again - I can just not listen to it. I can say it is a way to get exposed to different types of music, or find someone with similar music taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back