• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy MTG set making RP

The plane is set on a huge, seemingly endless landmass called [insert name], with no oceans, but five thin yet equally endless rivers, that all converge into a well in the center of it, one said to be impossible to access. Each river is a source of the mana of the lands surrounding it, each adapted to the mana it received.

So, first question:

The theme of the set`s cards should be:

(A) The cards your opponent`s control

(B) the cards in your deck

© the toughness of creatures

More questions (pic one to three options for each of the following):

The leaders of each faction should be:

(A) a single leader for each faction

(B) several leaders with no particular organization

© a leader for each color in each faction

(D) A leader for each color rather than each faction

(E) no leaders

Exposition should come from:

(A) nothing, let´s see what we can get without being told

(B) an inhabitant of the place

© I should make my character a member of that plane and use him for exposition

(D) the several leaders

(E) maybe it has something to do with the well?

The adventure should be around:

(A) getting to well

(B) stopping someone from getting to the well

© just travelling and observing/surviving the land

(D) some big mystery

(E) a war among the factions

What kind of factions should these be:

(A) kingdoms

(B) clans

© disorganized

(D) tribes (as in racial tribes)

(E)guilds

I`ll come up with more later.

~

@pbtenchi

@LeviathanL

@NatetheGreat9

@Lurker

Last edited by a moderator:
My answers:

(B) several leaders with no particular organization

(E) no leaders

(A) getting to well

(B) clans

© disorganized

So, first question:

(D) Should follow the set rules by Mark Rosewater of what effects go in what colours

(Different for each faction)

(A) kingdoms

I didn't actually receive alerts for your tags. You know editing tags in doesn't work right?

pbtenchi said:
So, first question:

(D) Should follow the set rules by Mark Rosewater of what effects go in what colours

(Different for each faction)

(A) kingdoms

I didn't actually receive alerts for your tags. You know editing tags in doesn't work right?
Adding options isn`t allowed. I didn´t add it to the rules because I assumed that was a given. Also, please answer all the questions.

So I'm assuming the different kingdoms inhabit the area between 2 rivers, and that the colour of said river defines the kingdom's colour identity?

Maybe all of them are struggling to reach the Well of Ascension, said to give the faction unlimited power (may be too similar to dragons maze).

Do you base it on a specific culture or fantasy trope? Is it civilized like ravnica or savage like Tarkir?

Edit: Better idea, everyone thinks the well gives infinite power, but it is actually a prison for an ancient evil. Said evil's mind reaches out to the world to manipulate the factions into freeing him by spreading false rumours.

Lemme think some more.

5 avatars for the rivers. Immensily powerful, but neutral in the conflict. However, their power can be drawn from the river by those on each shore.

I'd go with an official leader for each 2-colour faction. (or a group of leaders a la Obzedat, but only 1 card). Maybe 2 generals/leutenants of each colour per faction.

A good way to identify faction flavour was in Rosewaters articles on enemy colour pairs.

enemy pairs usually try to achieve the goal of one colour with the means of another. e.g. Orzhov tries to achieve power (black) through cooperation (white). This can work 2 ways, as Sorin uses harsh and cruel methods (black) to achieve long-term balance (white). Just go with the reverse of the ravnica guilds.

pbtenchi said:
The three abilities you stayed all already have colors they are in.
It´s called a set theme. It´s a topic that makes it unique around which stuff like keywords and general cards are made.

LeviathanL said:
So I'm assuming the different kingdoms inhabit the area between 2 rivers, and that the colour of said river defines the kingdom's colour identity?
Maybe all of them are struggling to reach the Well of Ascension, said to give the faction unlimited power (may be too similar to dragons maze).

Do you base it on a specific culture or fantasy trope? Is it civilized like ravnica or savage like Tarkir?

Edit: Better idea, everyone thinks the well gives infinite power, but it is actually a prison for an ancient evil. Said evil's mind reaches out to the world to manipulate the factions into freeing him by spreading false rumours.
LeviathanL said:
Lemme think some more.
5 avatars for the rivers. Immensily powerful, but neutral in the conflict. However, their power can be drawn from the river by those on each shore.

I'd go with an official leader for each 2-colour faction. (or a group of leaders a la Obzedat, but only 1 card). Maybe 2 generals/leutenants of each colour per faction.

A good way to identify faction flavour was in Rosewaters articles on enemy colour pairs.

enemy pairs usually try to achieve the goal of one colour with the means of another. e.g. Orzhov tries to achieve power (black) through cooperation (white). This can work 2 ways, as Sorin uses harsh and cruel methods (black) to achieve long-term balance (white). Just go with the reverse of the ravnica guilds.
Thanks for the suggestions. I´ll think about them.

Also, could you please state your vote for the quiz above?

(A) nothing, let´s see what we can get without being told

(A) getting to well

(D) some big mystery

(A) kingdoms

(B) clans

© disorganized

Weird. Didn't get an alert the first time you tagged me. Sorry. Doing this on my phone so it might look a bit wonky.

1: A

2: A, D

3: A or B. I'd be fine with my character stumbling into a war.

4: E A B D, in that order of preference.

5: A or B

(E) no leaders

(A) getting to well

(A) kingdoms

© disorganized

(E)guilds

Results:

(A) getting to well

(A) kingdoms

Okay people, any suggestions for keywords? And what kind of powers should the well have/give?

(note: there will be a total of three new keywords, and two returning. You can suggest for either, however, suggest keeping in mind that any suggestion can and is supposed to be used by all factions, and that it has to be within the theme: the cards your opponent`s control)

@pbtenchi

@LeviathanL

@NatetheGreat9

@Lurker

Infiltrate: When this creature enters the battlefield, you may have it gain the creature type of a creature your opponent controls instead of its normal creature type.

And a bunch of cards have creature-type specific effects.

Or

You may have this permanent enter the battlefield under target opponent's control, if you do, XXXX(something bad for opponent)XXXX

example: 5/5 demon with flying.

You may have this permanent enter the battlefield under target opponent's control, if you do, this creature gains: "At the end turn, sacrifice all other creatures you control".

LeviathanL said:
Infiltrate: When this creature enters the battlefield, you may have it gain the creature type of a creature your opponent controls instead of its normal creature type.
And a bunch of cards have creature-type specific effects.

Or

You may have this permanent enter the battlefield under target opponent's control, if you do, XXXX(something bad for opponent)XXXX

example: 5/5 demon with flying.

You may have this permanent enter the battlefield under target opponent's control, if you do, this creature gains: "At the end turn, sacrifice all other creatures you control".
the first idea would work in a creature-type based thing, which this will be not.

The second idea is good, though. I´ll consider it, thanks for the suggestion.

w (cost): When you draw this card you may reveal it. If you do, you may cast it for its flow co

1. Flow (cost): When you draw this card you may reveal it. If you do, you may cast it for its flow cost.

2. (desperation): when you search your library you may play this card if you pay X life.

3. Invent (Pay cost) Sacrifice a permanent: search your library for an equipment card and put it onto the battlefield.

I was trying to base these ideas on the well. I was thinking like flow as in the flow of the mana rivers, but I just made up the rest.

NatetheGreat9 said:
w (cost): When you draw this card you may reveal it. If you do, you may cast it for its flow co
1. Flow (cost): When you draw this card you may reveal it. If you do, you may cast it for its flow cost.

2. (desperation): when you search your library you may play this card if you pay X life.

3. Invent (Pay cost) Sacrifice a permanent: search your library for an equipment card and put it onto the battlefield.

I was trying to base these ideas on the well. I was thinking like flow as in the flow of the mana rivers, but I just made up the rest.
Honestly, these might be good ideas for the well itself, but they do not fit in well as the set`s mechanics, because they are not within the theme. (the card´s your opponent´s control)

When this card enters the battlefield it fights target creature your opponent controls? Only idea I got. Might be a wee bit strong.

Lurker said:
When this card enters the battlefield it fights target creature your opponent controls? Only idea I got. Might be a wee bit strong.
hmmm....that´s better, but it´s really not taking advantage of it, is it?

now I understand :)

Allure: when this card enters the battlefield gain control of target creature until the end of the turn .

Disarm : When this creature enters the battlefield, creatures your opponent controls get -1/0.

Spite :Whenever you cast a spell that targets a creature you don’t control, deal 2 damage to it's controller.

Extinction : If your opponent has a card that shares the same creature type as CARDNAME then destroy that creature.

NatetheGreat9 said:
now I understand :)
Allure: when this card enters the battlefield gain control of target creature until the end of the turn .

Disarm : When this creature enters the battlefield, creatures your opponent controls get -1/0.

Spite :Whenever you cast a spell that targets a creature you don’t control, deal 2 damage to it's controller.

Extinction : If your opponent has a card that shares the same creature type as CARDNAME then destroy that creature.
the first two, I think they still have pretty much the same problem as before, though I think disarm might be somehwta interesting as a card of it´s own for this set.

spite seems wonderful and I think it will make it to be one of the keywords, unless we have a better suggestion for it´s place.

extinction is bloody OP for a keyword.

Furious :Whenever this creature attacks, it gets +1/+0 for each untapped creature defending player controls.

Acid blood :When this creature dies, it deals damage equal to its toughness to target creature.

You can change extinction to a single target creature

I guess I should do some story line now. Lets say the power of the well is growing fast. The mana rivers are flowing faster and producing more power. This surge of power can be felt throughout the planes of existence and has attracted some unwanted attention. So being people of the land we must get to the well and somehow decrease or seal the power it holds, and also stop those who want to control this power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back