• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Moments in Time

- An Unlikely Talk -
" On the Back of a Dragon "

The early morning was dim and cool. James' breath came out in mists and dew clung to the leather and metal of his damp armor. The forest was dark, and twigs snapped loudly under his heavy footsteps. He hailed the watchman of the Bowl Rock Camp and trudged into his tent where he slumped on his cot without changing.

He gazed through the gap in the flap at the Sea King's floating shrine where Lydia was probably sleeping. He turned on his back and drew up his blanket over himself, it was cold. Made him think of the times their company made camp in snowy places on the way here. Sometimes when he spotted Lydia reading, he'd come over and greet her with a hug and a kiss, tease her if she was embarrassed ("You're trembling. Are you nervous? You sound so cute when you try to speak, my dear." before he'd use girlfries, but it didn't sound as charming), lean his head on her cheek, nuzzle, and then stay that way with his arms wrapped around her waist as she read, just melting in her warmth and often ending up reading what she was reading too.

He knew that she was the best for him, but he had come to realize that it was his head telling him that, not his heart. He still liked Hailey, and it was confusing. He covered his eyes with his arms. Love happens at such a deep level beyond logic or reason that it was tough for him to figure out why he loves someone and clings to them even though that someone said she didn't even want to be friends with him anymore. Sometimes he wished he was like Renee, who always followed her heart and knew what she wanted at the get-go and went for it.

All night he'd been pondering why he still hadn't let Hailey go. He thought he was over her, yet the moment she hugged him crying in that dream, saying she was so scared and searched for him all over after she heard about the bombing during the King's assassination, crossed the Shoflo Ocean in a dingy just to see him after her summons threatened the information from some thugs, join the expedition to the Storm Wall and get together again, his heart leapt for joy. That passionate reunion was like a deleted scene in the rain from a romantic movie.

Then he turned his head before she could kiss him. Lydia's soft petal lips immediately came to mind when she came near, and he drew away saying that he met someone.

Lydia getting hurt from what he was doing popped into his head and he felt guilty. Yet, the prospect of being with Hailey again, experiencing the love that they had, he thought that this would make him happy the most. And he began to compare. On one hand Lydia's love was unlike he's ever experienced, honestly, who'd hold your hand and tell you they're going to help you snuff someone out, and then say they're your partner? Yet on the other hand, Hailey was the first girl he'd ever loved for real, and if he was honest with himself she was prettier and happier than Lydia and so at ease and spontaneous around him. It was like dating a good friend you've known for years and it was nice and easy being with someone who knew you in and out --- he could pick his nose in front of her and she wouldn't care.

But she doesn't like him anymore, the real Hailey. He hurt her too much with his self-centeredness. But what if he reached out to her once they were back on the other side of the Storm Wall and he apologized properly? He learned his lesson, he's even giving Seifer a chance. So maybe . . . maybe she'd take him back. And he won the tournament, he helped save Holt, he's on speaking terms with Princess MIa, and Prince Kenren of the Orients, surely she'd be impressed even a little bit and give him a chance?

But then, that means leaving Lydia. Lydia and the way her cheeks plump up when she smiles. Sure she doesn't talk a lot and doesn't share her problems with him much and whoever that guy was who touched her butt . . . and doesn't tell him what he can do to make her happy so he can't do anything for her that would really brighten up her day, and is often so timid, and lonely looking too without saying anything . . . James sighed. Yeah he doesn't know how to reach out to her to talk about these things, but when it comes to the deep things that really matters, Hailey could never compare to her. Hailey would be aghast that he agreed to kill a man and probably would look at him with fear.

* * * *​

"And so, that's why I think I should try and give my all in making it work with Lydia, because I don't want to leave our relationship that could be better with a little work." James was yelling to Chenglei over the sound of the roaring wind whipping their faces on the back of Mizutsune.

"I'd rather break up permanently because there's no hope for the two of us, instead of because of someone --- or me. But then in the back of my mind I have this desire to talk to Hailey again and see if I still have a chance when we return to the other side of the Storm Wall. And don't worry about me stringing Lydia along, I broke up with her yesterday telling her I needed time to sort myself out." James sighed, melancholic.

"Have you ever had to choose between two girls, Chenglei?" he added to the swordsman.

Last edited:
-Unlikely Talk-
-On the back of the dragon-

Didn't James growl at him for trying to stop him from leaving yesterday night? Why is he even talking to him about this?

'You'd think he would talk with his best friend, not with a guy who keeps bugging him.' Chenglei thought as he listened to James' issue and resolve. It's not a bad thing; actually the blonde is happy that James would come over to him to talk about his issues...even when they are flying on a dragon and he's practically screaming...

Why couldn't he pick a better time to talk about this?

Chenglei sighed, rubbing his tired eyes as he continued to listen, feeling more tired than usual when that question popped up. "...I had to choose between the love of my life or my duty as a soldier to the Prince..." was his response, chuckling low and bitter.

"You can guess what I chose but it's okay." Chenglei yelled back before peeking over his shoulder with a tentative grin.

"At least with this, I can ensure the one I love will be alive and well..." Yea, there's no way he's telling James his secret, not when he could freak out even more. No need for the Pendragon to be more wary of his gender preferences when he doesn't have any...

Odd thing about his preferences to liking someone is that he's not even attached to just anybody. Chenglei has tried, before the Storm Wall expedition was even known, by going out with his sister and her friends back at the Orients and nothing. No sign or thought of finding other people attractive or plausible for him to date, man or woman. Is he clinging onto that person too much? Chances are...yes...he is...and it's absolutely terrible because he knows who really has his heart.

How could he not? Echo and Serena were talking about it...how they were a bit surprised to hear the name that slipped past his lips...and he hates it-!

Then again...he made his choice: to support this person no matter what, not even his broken heart can stop him from helping this one person who needs it the most-

Chenglei sighed, feeling a bit...off again, his shoulders slumped.

Zer0 Zer0

Last edited:
- An Unlikely Talk -

James went quiet, thinking a bit. He felt like he unwittingly made Chenglei sad and so was awkwardly stoically silent for a while.

"For what it's worth, I think she'd be proud of you coming here to the Storm Wall, risking your life to make sure she'll be okay, instead of staying at home. I feel that way with my sister even though I'd rather she be safe. But I guess you can't help wanting to go out and fight a danger if it threatens your loved ones." he said clapping his shoulder. After a while, he spoke again.

"Chenglei, how did you choose between duty and the love of your life? That is, if you don't mind me asking." he added soberly.

Katsuya Katsuya

-Unlikely Talk-
-On the back of a dragon-

Chenglei didn't move for a while.

"...No...I don't mind..." Yes, he does mind. He minds it a lot...but he can't exactly do that to the young Pendragon, now can he?

"I choose based on what's right for the one I love. I set aside what I really want to do so that they can go on with their lives..." and sometimes he wished he could just-! Chenglei sighed again.

"...no matter how painful it is for me...I have to continue and make sure the one I love gets what they dreamed for..."

Sometimes he wishes he was like Renee who can stand up to that person without any fear of repercussions or like James who can say what's bothering him after calming down. Chenglei can't. He can't. Not when so much is at stake and he would rather stab himself then to let all that person's hard work down the drain just because of what he wants...

Just because he wants to be together with this person...

'I just want to hold him again.' Chenglei's soul throbbed as he's hunching a bit. Dammit, he shouldn't be feeling this way-! Not anymore...

Zer0 Zer0

Last edited:
- An Unlikely Talk -

"But then that'll make you sad. Forever." said James. "So you didn't really want to leave her at home, and it was her dream that you put your duty to the prince first . . . Chenglei, what if I had someone like that, and she wants me to stay, and I'm the one who wants to go to see if that's what I really want, what should I do? I also don't want to lose her forever so I need to decide, because someone in the group probably has their eye on her."

He thought about whoever it was that touched Lydia's bottom. She doesn't like him, but that talk they had opened his eyes. Just because the boys in her home city didn't see her beauty, doesn't mean it'd be the same over here. She's intelligent, beautiful, landed the killing blow on two deathknights, dresses nice, is modest, and cute, and funny, and loves sandwiches --- he's pretty sure once the word spread that they broke up that some soldiers are going to try and woo her. Already makes him mad just thinking about her possible suitors.

James frowned. There was that guy that keeps passing her soup bowls and that other guy who always greets her good morning first. There was also that guy who offered to carry wood for her, and that guy who fights with a hammer that asked to spar with her too and teach her some moves . . .

Katsuya Katsuya

-Unlikely Talk-

Chenglei laughed a bit, sounding breathless.

"I know it does, but I want them to succeed. I want to see that moment of their dreams finally being realized." Chenglei sat up straight and peeked over his shoulder again. There's a real happy smile on his face, not the princely one, but the one he usually gives to those who deserve a compliment. Then he raised an eyebrow before shaking his head a bit.

"You should do what you want to do James, but let me ask you something before you make that choice." Chenglei said. "Would you want someone who only see your accomplishments or would you want someone who sees you?" He turned around , now facing frontwards.

"Because even I want my love one to see me, not my accomplishments. It's why I don't care if they don't see what I'm doing is all for them..."He said. James could hear the proud tone he has. Chenglei honestly didn't care if his love didn't see his efforts; He wants his love to see him for him and right now, he's doing that by going with James, Serena, and Johnny.

So Kenren doesn't abandon his men and possibly be in danger. Chenglei would scout the area first, see if the land they are headed to is safe.

Zer0 Zer0 Roleplay Skittle Roleplay Skittle

- An Unlikely Talk -

" But she's at home and you're over here . . ." said James, confused. "Ah, you mean when you get an award and she'll see the prince bestowing you honor in front of all your people, her dreams of seeing you become a great man will come true?"

That was surprising. 'We're actually more alike than I thought.' thought James. So Chenglei was also pressured to become great. Who knew mister smiley, flowery guy was carrying this sort of weight around?

He became confused at his question. "Hailey saw me as me too." said James, scratching his head and wondering if he had said something that implied otherwise. "We were friends for six years ever since we were eleven. She didn't like me for my accomplishments, I assure you, more like she wanted me to stop accomplishing and spend more time with her."

Katsuya Katsuya

Last edited:
-Unlikely Talk-

He sort of panicked when he realized his slip of the tongue until James made his own conclusion and Chenglei almost sighed in relief. He needs to be more careful with his wording...

"...Yea, sure something like that." Not really. Not exactly like that but something similar...just not on his end. "That's not her dream but it's definitely as heavy, if not then heavier. I don't know how to explain it without confusing you." More like he didn't want to say it considering their situation. Chenglei almost winced at the harsh memory.

He cleared his throat before listening in and sighed. Maybe it's too soon for him to ask that yet. Oh well...Did James not know when to stop and relax with the ones he cares for? Seems like it...

'That might explain why he doesn't spend time with Renee...despite being siblings and all...' Chenglei thought for a moment.

"I see. Have you tried to stop and take time to spend with the people you love or is that just with her?" The blonde asked. Then he shrugged a bit if James didn't want to answer.

"Well like I said before: If you truly want to know, then go for it." He peeked over his shoulder. "However, you should be careful in these types of matters. You shouldn't get your hopes up nor should you be vague about your intentions. If you don't mind my personal opinion, you should move on with your heart first and then date others." Chenglei advised.

"Why are you telling me this? Like what started this train of thought?" The blonde asked curiously before saying. "If you don't mind me asking..."

Zer0 Zer0

- An Unlikely Talk -

James raised his other eyebrow. He wouldn't get confused, it's just talking. He felt that perhaps he pried too far in Chenglei's personal life, so he dropped it.

When he asked about him taking time to spend with those he cares about, he shook his head. "No, it was with everybody. I was like who I am now, there's a lot to do at camp and a lot of self-improvement to work on, so I spend time with you guys only during meal times, or if Johnny and I are training together, or if it's night I'm not on watch duty." Though since last, last week he'd been spending most of his free time reading up on new spells and having combat training his summons wherever Lydia was and if she didn't mind all the noise. "Anyway, it was busier when Hailey and I were together, we were on our sixth year and I had already begun working on my thesis instead of starting on our seventh year like everyone else."

As Chenglei repeated the same advice, James nodded. Do what he wants to do, huh? And he's right, he should move on first before dating Lydia again. So, he should wait until they were on the other side of the Storm Wall. He'll talk to Hailey, and then . . . and then . . . well, they can't exactly start a relationship off the bat. He still has this war to wage . . . his parents to rescue, Rhea to find, and a dragon to fell.

"Broke up with Lydia last night. We had a talk about seeing Hailey instead of her when I was under that enchantment from the wood hags. She wanted to stay with me until after we return to the other side --- I don't know why she said only until that time, I thought she wanted to stay forever --- even if she wasn't the one in my heart," James looked sad, and guilty. He looked away. "She's so unconditional." he breathed, looking up at the sky that was gradually turning from ember red to purple tinged with gold, then dark cool blue.

"Bloody trolls what am I doing?" he said, rubbing his face and wiping his eyes. He took a deep breath. That was it, she's better than Hailey. "Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb." he muttered knocking his knuckles on his forehead. "Argh." he shook his head as though trying to clear away thoughts. He clapped his hands over his mouth, breathed, then rested his chin on them, as though he just had a revelation. "Lydia's unconditional."

Katsuya Katsuya

-Unlikely Talk-

The wood hags?...Oh...the tree ladies...wicked beings...

Wait-! James said he believes he's still in love with Lady Hailey then why did Chenglei see 'Momochi' instead of Kenren? It's the same person yet...

'That's weird. I know I love Kenren so why...?' He thought for a moment before shaking his head again. He'll think about it another time...When he's not with the others.

"Well you should try to spend time with them, your siblings I mean. I'm not saying do it now, just when you know for sure you can at the time and suggest to go out with them. Maybe that can help with your awkwardness toward your siblings." Oh yea, he noticed all those times where James doesn't even look over to where Renee is during training or when the twins were around, he wouldn't really say anything to them; only when it's absolutely necessary. It's kind of sad.

"Of course that's up to you if you want to do that. Spend time with your brothers and sister." He shrugged his shoulders a bit. "Maybe it'll help you connect more?"

As he listened to James' mutterings, the blonde oriental perked up about something that concerns with what Lydia said. Chenglei chuckled lowly at James' sudden revelation. "Perhaps she said until we return to the other side of the Storm Wall because she believes you will go back to Lady Hailey when we do?" He guessed, letting James think on his own for now...Until he asks any more questions or just wants to talk more.

Zer0 Zer0

Last edited:
- An Unlikely Talk -

'Why're we talking about my awkwardness with my siblings? We're talking about my love life.' thought James, perplexed. 'Chenglei's so distracted . . .'

"For real?" said James surprised, when the swordsman mentioned his own understanding of Lydia's words. "She didn't believe in me at all?" his shoulders slumped. That was so quick, just a day and she thought he wouldn't want to stay with her longer? He pondered seriously on his behavior since they started dating and wondered if he gave off a shallow impression of his feelings for her.

For some reason it annoyed him that Lydia would be alright with clinging to him and then be dumped when they returned to the other side. "What does she think of herself, a rag to be used and then thrown away once she's not wanted?" he muttered to no one in particular, irritated. That girl needed some pride.

His expression softened after a while.

Sometimes he had a problem accepting a love this big. And not having to do anything in return. He wasn't used to it, being used to being admired for his accomplishments, and needing to give as much if he wanted to be loved as much. He felt like he didn't do anything for her to deserve that love and he took a long time to remind himself that her standards weren't his standards.

Her standards are so small, it confused him why she liked him that much without asking for anything in return. But as he thought about it more, he felt more and more secure that he could be this horrible --- even to go as far as believing he'd dump her later --- and she still wants to spend time with him.

He felt something similar before. His sister forgiving him, and him going with her to the Storm Wall even though he absolutely didn't want to.

And it clicked in his head. Lydia's love was like family, in that you'd do anything to keep them. And that made him teary.

Suddenly he roared at the sky, rubbing his eyes. "THE MOMENT WE RETURN TO THE SHRINE, I'M GOING TO HUG THAT LYDIA DUBOIS AND NOT LET HER GO!"

Katsuya Katsuya

Last edited:
-Unlikely Talk-

Chenglei stayed quiet as James continued with his mutterings, smiling a bit at what he was questioning. "It seems that way." Lydia may not be like Renee who's more open about it, but she's just as sensitive when it comes to her own emotions. If he remembers correctly, this group is her first group of friends too...

So considering James and Lydia like each other, it's possible that she would want to stay friends with James after breaking up. Not knowing the harsh realities of break ups. Once again, Chenglei almost sighed sadly. Now is not the time to think about the past-!

He raked through his hair, holding onto the golden hair piece that's attached to a black headband and lets his hair loose, not caring about it being in his face from the strong winds. He really wants to drink strong sake or train with his katana now...just to get away from his issues and thoughts...

The blonde oriental jumped when James screamed, clenching his legs against the dragon's sides as he didn't want to fall off in his surprise. Then he laughed loudly, momentarily forgetting about his pain.

"That's the spirit, James! Hahahah!" Chenglei is glad that James finally found his answer; staying with Lydia.

Zer0 Zer0

- City of Chingpo -
" A Day Out "

Once everyone ran clear of the ash and dust cloud and James cleaned them all with Clettidy, Johnny, who was still holding Stuart's still body asked James if he could clear away all the dust. James summoned Pond who immediately puffed out after she took a moment to see where she was.

"It's okay, we're not in a scary place!" he reassured her when he summoned her again. "The mansion collapsed."

The owl bear spirit's shoulders shook as she silently laughed, embarrassed, then with a wave of her arms like a meditative dance, the wind swirled the ash and dust and in a gust scattered them away in all directions. There they beheld the ruins of the manor where the three graves still stood behind the gate.

Johnny said he was going to stay awhile and give Stuart a proper burial, then have that tea party in front of his grave since it was the least he could do to make up for thinking he was an evil spirit; James said he'll help.

And so, after laying Stuart to rest (Meatballs dug the grave), returning to the warship for a bath (James' cleaning spell cannot remove bad smells) and some fresh clothes, they went back to the mansion with those who wanted to join in and had that tea party.

Afterwards, James, Johnny, Pond, Butters, Frey, and Sorbet moved around the debris looking for the old books he and Lydia scavenged. Then, murmuring that he hoped Stuart wouldn't mind if he could have these books and that he will take care of them, paid his last respects to the grave of the thirteen year old and his mother and father together with Johnny, then hiked back to the City of Chingpo.

The rest of the day was spent visiting the other flooded haunted spots in the city, such as the sunken graveyard. Callie, the ethereal manta ray was so happy to be out and about and flapped around, splashing water everywhere. They rode on her back and explored the ruins through the dry giant bubble dome she cast on her back and took a lot of pictures as they dove in and out with bubble helmets checking out the graves and eerie catacombs.

Panzer Panzer

* * * *​

The next day, James was able to borrow the camera from Johnny for the whole morning, and snuck into all their rooms to take pictures of them with bed hair, sniggering.

He was very eager to paint the town red with Lydia today, and tugged on her hand asking her where she wanted to take pictures together. He was clicking madly away that they finished up an entire roll of film before they even got to the museum.

Johnny, who didn't want to waste the morning opportunity for pictures, asked Echo and everyone else if theywanted to go with James and Lydia to the museum too. They could spread out later and go their own ways exploring Chingpo.

Katsuya Katsuya Roleplay Skittle Roleplay Skittle

- Kenren Taisho -
" Air Docks "

At the air docks, by the warehouses where fuel was kept, Kenren was waiting for Chenglei to arrive as he walked underneath the floating warships, inspecting the keel of the hull and the stern. He was escorted as always by his body guards and a few officers and members of his court, though today his engineers were part of the train too.

Now that they're here, might as well do some quick repairs too.

The Dalaran fleet was also docked here, and members of the Order of Merlin, some vassals of the Jahara empire, warchiefs from the Nordic clans, and other powerful people were being entertained by the government leader of the city who held a banquet in their honor last night. Everyone who was anybody in the city was there and they were disappointed that the heroes of Holt could not make an appearance; Kenren knew the kids didn't like that kind of attention much, except for Seifer, he wanted to go, but that was out of the question and so the archer sulked away, muttering something about snagglefrocks.

He chuckled at the memory. It was fun taking care of them, even if it was from afar.

Now the other leaders were either lounging about in their warships, doing inspections or overseeing the refueling like him, or joining the politicians of Chingpo for tours and parties around the city. The citizens were very amazed that these powerful people were gracing them with their presence and seem to be in a bit of a frenzy and awe at the war fleet that there was added security around the airdocks to keep the media from getting in.

He wondered if the kids were having similar celebrity problems, though he knew they were smart enough to wear disguises at least. His servants had informed him that they were going to the museum today, and thought for a while that perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad idea to go around the city in disguise too. There was fish-flavored ice cream, he didn't even know that was possible, and was curious about how that tasted.

Katsuya Katsuya

Last edited:
-City of Chinpo-
-A day out-

Renee, Echo, and Serena said they would go see the museum too before leaving to do their own activities; while Chenglei pats Johnny's shoulder once with a smile.

"Thank you again for inviting me, my dear friend, but I must help the Prince with something." Then the blonde went off on his own, disappearing the crowds of cat and hippo people. As always, the Orients are very secretive but that's something Echo is used to.

The fawn felt terrible for fainting at the sight of the ghost boy when it sounded like he wanted a friend, but she just...can't handle anything with the un-dead or objects that come to life from something paranormal. So when she woke up yesterday, she prayed in front of Stuart's grave and did a cheers to his tomb. Though she did jump when Serena played that creepy song again-! Renee just laughed after a long while of pouting angrily at everyone who was scared of the ghost boy.

So Echo had her arm around Johnny's as they made their way to the museum with James and Lydia.

Roleplay Skittle Roleplay Skittle

***********************************************************************************************

The blonde soldier sighed, preparing himself so he doesn't have the urge to sweep a certain someone off his feet and run away. Honestly Chenglei knew what he was getting himself into when he agreed to stay beside Kenren and help watch over the kids, but still...it's hard not to grab the Prince and hide him away from everyone so they can be alone-!

'Stop-!...Thinking like that.' Chenglei mentally himself, taking a deep breathe and letting go before looking down to his arms; a pile of clothing for men to wear. For some odd reason, a group of women recognized his uniform and passed him a bunch of clothes from this land, saying it was a great honor to have one of Kenren's men passing by here and everything. It was such a strange moment really...

'Maybe I should have worn something else...so I don't get random gifts.' He thought, now seeing the Prince's figure and paused for a moment, a bit dazed....

Then he shook his head from his thoughts again and cleared his throat, catching Kenren's attention. "Prince Kenren Taisho..." Chenglei greeted respectively, bowing his head as he couldn't really bow with all these clothes. "Sorry for making you wait, Your highness."

Zer0 Zer0

Last edited:
- Kenren Taisho -
" Air Docks "

"Ah, Chenglei." began Kenren, then he looked down, surprised at the many clothes the swordsman was carrying as he took some, then handed him a small rolled piece of parchment sealed with wax and the royal crest, though he did not comment. It was the prince's usual daily instructions meant for Chenglei's eyes only.

"We have a Rotuta Charity Luncheon to attend this afternoon, then a meeting with the Chingpo Merchant guild, and finally a visit in the house of Sun Jing. Wear your best kimono, then meet me in the usual place at eleven." he said, continuing to walk as he spoke about the swordsman's other duties. " I leave you in charge of the refueling of the master warship, Ju Li will bring a report to you before we head off. Go over the list of our men's request for supplies too and double check with Oni to see that we bought them all. I'll be waiting for your report by seven --- everyone else, you're dismissed."

His servants, court members, and officers left him, leaving only Chenglei, the prince, and the two bodyguards in sight. "Do you have anything to report before you attend to your duties?"

Katsuya Katsuya

-Chenglei Zhou-
-Air Docks-

Chenglei smiled sheepishly when Kenren took some of the clothes off his hands and grabbed the parchment easily now that his arms aren't so full. "Thank you, sir..." He said calmly though the blonde's ash purple eyes looked to the side, his ears turned a bit pink. He didn't brake the wax seal yet as he knew this parchment is his daily instructions from the Prince, nodding to each duty he has to do and get ready for several meetings to go to.

When they were alone with just the two bodyguards, Chenglei stood up straight and said quite confidently with a twinge of amusement: "Nothing important or major Sir, only that the kids had fun being scared yesterday and we had tea in front of a child's grave in his respects." It was really amusing how these kids are so...odd with their ways of showing respect to the dead...or un-dead as Stuart was a ghost ...or perhaps a ghoul? He seemed more physical than see through really.

"I'll be ready with the instructions done, Sir. Now I'll be taking this back." The blonde soldier said as he leaned down to grab the rest of the clothes that were given, one of his hands lightly caressed Kenren's by accident and he didn't flinch or panic or anything. It was barely visible to anybody who didn't know him well, but Kenren might have seen Chenglei's ears turning pink again as his eyes looked a bit dazed...

Then with the clothes back to his arms, Chenglei bowed awkwardly again and left to do his daily routine; Gripping on the parchment tightly as he tries his best to not giggle like a loon.

Zer0 Zer0

Last edited:
- Kenren Taisho -
" Cargo Bay 4, Master Warship "

The rolled parchment the prince gave him read:

"8 a.m., master warship, cargo bay 4, crate 88. Wear Chingpo dock worker disguise, don't be seen. Leave weapons and kimono for luncheon with Ju Li secretly. "

Later that morning, Chenglei would find the prince in the cargo bay with his hair dyed black and hammering on a crate with poor carpentry skills, facing the wall. He was dressed like your average dock worker, even had the dirty hands and smudged face of one and around him were his guards in disguise too, fixing things and repainting the labels on some boxes. Beside them was crate 88, a big crate big enough to hold an artillery cannon.

"We're going the long way around the city to the luncheon, get in." Kenren jabbed his thumb at the crate where he strode inside and waited for Chenglei to join him before it was hammered shut by his bodyguards outside.

Katsuya Katsuya

-Chenglei Zhou-
-Water streets of Chinpo-

As Chenglei read the parchment, memorizing what he needed to do and got everything ready, passing the kimono and his katana with the Prince's sword to Ju Li secretly.

His hair is an auburn red now, wet and sticking on his forehead as if he was sweaty from working hard with his hands and the dock worker's outfit dirty with oil smudges. The usual black band with the gold ornaments are gone as he passed those to Ju Li as well just in case. Chenglei casually walked up to the crate as if this was a usual thing for them (and it really was) while listening to Kenren and just got in after Kenren without asking anything. Then everything got dark as the crate was closed up followed by the noise of hammers slamming on the lid.

Chenglei sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose while searching for the wall with his other hand. "Imma surprised dat dey even reached her', Ken'en. Thought dey wouldn' be dis persistent, but nah..." Chenglei mumbled quiet curses at the assassins who are obviously looking for Kenren...again. He was used to this, hiding away in unusual places like this crates is a good tactic but it doesn't mean that he wouldn't imagine finding those imbeciles and give them a piece of his mind.

The blonde couldn't really see in the pitch black darkness, trying to get a feel of where's the wall with his hands; then crate jolted from something picking them up, tripping Chenglei with the momentum as he wasn't ready-!

"Whoa!"

He flailed his arms, trying to catch his balance only to fall on something, pushing it to the wooden floorboards from the force and landed on top...of...whatever it is that he landed on. His forehead hit the wooden boards, making a loud banging sound that most workers from the outside are probably not worried about. Chenglei groaned, almost like a low growl as his head pounded a bit from the impact.

"Ow...What did I-...!" Chenglei didn't move as he realized something. His head is the only thing that hurts, everything else is fine because he landed on something...soft?

He took a deep breathe, recognizing that alluring scent, and froze, his cheek against someone's else cheek. He blushed, his cheek felt warmer, when he whispered in a bit of alarm. "...Ken'en?" His legs are intertwined with the Prince's as his arms are on either side....

The crate landed on something and started to move in a direction. It seems there were chatter outside of the wooden box. Any sort of movement from their shoes might alarm the people outside so...Chenglei can't move at all-!

Zer0 Zer0

Last edited:
- Kenren Taisho -
" In a crate "

A hand pressed Chenglei's cheek close in a gesture of keep quiet. It was dark, nothing but the tiny strips of light from the cracks in the crate revealing the strands of black hair tickling his face.

Keren's heart was hammering. His hand withdrew, and the cool air of the morning caressed Chenglei's cheek as the pressure from the prince's warm touch lifted. Kenren took a deep breath then turned his head away, chest rising and falling more steadily. He kept very still.

The minutes crawled by. The noises outside changed as the crate wobbled and shook, being lowered by ropes down the docks. Then it was lifted on to something with hooves close by. There was booming and slamming as more boxes and crates were piled on top of them --- the zip of a rope, the holler of a man, and off they rattled as horses pulled whatever it was their crate was on.

The shaking as the wheels drove on the cobbled streets made Kenren swallow for some reason. He hadn't turned his head back for the whole trip. Suddenly, he tilted Chenglei off slightly to the right, sliding his own rump and legs first to the left.

"Move." he whispered calmly, a strip of sunlight from the cracks momentarily showing the prince's reddened cheeks and stiff jaw before the light vanished as they entered somewhere shadowed.

Katsuya Katsuya

Last edited:
-Chenglei Zhou-
-In a crate-

'Buddha, strike me down now!'
Chenglei thought as he closed his eyes and kept quiet. It's a miracle that no one can hear his heart practically punching it's way out of his chest. Oh how he longed to just push his cheek against Kenren's hand right now. He missed that too much...

'No~ Come back, hand.' He mentally weep as that nice warm hand moved away, just letting his head hang down, his forehead barely touching the floor. That familiar pang to his heart came back when he felt Kenren move his head away, baring his neck and Chenglei just did not move. He didn't move or make a sound in those few torturous (wonderful), long (not long enough-!) minutes, just breathing in and out as calmly as he could- Yea, no, he could barely keep himself calm right now. Not when he's-

'Don't think about it! Don't think about it-!' Chenglei mentally scolded himself, having a sudden urge to whack his head on the floor again. It wasn't until the shaking started from the horses pulling whatever it is that they are on did Chenglei hear Kenren gulp for some reason and that pang to his heart returned once more, thinking that Kenren must really hate being like this with him right now...

When he suddenly shuffled to the left and slight tilted Chenglei to the right, the blonde saw the blush on his high cheeks and jaw really stiff. Then he reached over to cup his redden cheek while moving as carefully as he could so he wouldn't make a sound, worried that he might have gotten a fever somehow. "Are ya oka-?"

Then the crate jumped high as if the wheels hit some rock or got stuck in a hole or something, rattling the pair to the point where Chenglei got a bit confused of what just happened-

"Ow-! Oof!" He winced when, once again, he hit his head, this time on the back as he slammed on the wall then something soft pinned him against the crook of the wall and the floor. Chenglei subconsciously held onto whatever it is that pinned him since he didn't want to catch the driver's attention and he looked up to see that it's Kenren he's holding...tightly...

The tips of his ears and his cheeks turned red again, freezing up as he didn't know what to do now. The flustered soldier gulped. "...Sorry." He didn't even know why he was sorry, but somehow he felt like he had to say it.

Zer0 Zer0

- Kenren Taisho -
" Water Streets of Chingpo "

The prince's skin flinched as the swordsman could feel the corners of his open lips brushing the edge of his palm in the dark. Kenren must have gasped silently --- then the crate jumped.

The body underneath him shifted, and the back of a hand pressed itself immediately over Chenglei's mouth as he was curled into Kenren's shoulder that smelled like incense. "Shh." warm breath hissed into his ear sternly. The prince's heart was hammering again. They were hugging. "Chenglei. keep. quiet." he whispered patiently, head butting him when he apologized. The hand on the swordsman's back gave him a quiet thump. "It's alright. Get it together."

The rattling stopped and it seemed that they reached their destination. They were surrounded by footsteps and the sound of boxes being moved. Kenren released his hold on him in time with the sound and drew away to the side, breathing heavily for some reason, and there was a rustle of cloth then the breathing was muffled. Their crate was picked up, placed down somewhere quieter and soon the groaning of boards and creaking of nails being pulled was heard as the crate was opened. Sunlight streaked in.

Kenren sat up immediately, taking one of his disguised bodyguard's beret and lowering it over his face. He took out a scarf and wrapped it around his neck. "Good work, everyone." he said briskly. "Let's go, Chenglei." he said calmly without looking at him, and strode ahead, the tops of his covered cheeks tinged red.

They seemed to be in a repair yard. There was so much noise and work going on that no one spared two more dockyard workers a glance. Kenren's bodyguards dispersed and the two found themselves outside where the media was waiting outside the fence trying to talk to the dock workers leaving about anything of the warfleet, and if they caught a glimpse of the heroes of Holt.

The two were used to this, blending in a crowd, just like old days before Kenren rose to power. Soon they found themselves lining up for a boatman in the water streets, and now sitting leisurely on a boat headed for the floating market.

Kenren lay back on his seat, sighing in relief. Every now and then he'd casually move his eyes left and right, up and down the running water below very smoothly. He sat opposite to Chenglei so that they can both watch each other's backs. He looked at the swordsman, thinking for a while. He liked this part, the part where they sometimes forget to make an alias and they dub each other one on the stop.

"You alright, Condoriano?" he smiled good-humoredly, his regal princely façade gone.

Katsuya Katsuya

Last edited:
-Chenglei Zhou-

Chenglei nodded once before letting his head fall on Kenren's shoulder, taking deep breathes to steady his pounding heart again. He flinched when Kenren whispered in his red-tipped ears, his hands tightened their grip on the Prince's clothes, knuckles turning white.

When the crate stopped moving, with heavy footsteps thumping on the floor and the Prince leaving the embrace, the blonde soldier sat and fixed himself up; he curled his knees a bit as he leaned against the wall as leverage to stand, looking down at the floor. His hair veiled his eyes, but the tinge of red is still visible on his cheeks. Then he sighed quietly as if he's letting go of something. With the crate finally open, Chenglei followed the disguised prince calmly, not worried that anybody will recognize him, not with the way his hair is at the moment; all ruffled up and messier than usual.

"Yes Sir." He replied, dazed ash purple eyes looking around just in case as he walked. Chenglei ignored crowd as he hurried behind Kenren, looking like a person who's really annoyed by the crowd getting in his way to somewhere when in reality it's just him blending in.

Soon enough, after waiting in a line, they reached a boat to the floating market, and the once blonde soldier sighed again, plopping himself down on a seat; in front of Kenren to watch his back. His now focused eyes moved around subtly as he takes in the environment. Then he leaned back, relaxed as he just observed the people in the other boats that were behind Kenren or farther away. Deep in thought about something.

His eyes looked over to Kenren when he asked. Chenglei's ears tinged in red again as the corner of his lips quirked a bit. "Yea, jus'- was tak'n off guard durin' our ride her'." He chuckled sheepishly as he scratched lightly on his tinted pink cheek. "Wish it wasn' as bumpy, but ah well." The soldier didn't look so upset about it but then his hand moved from his cheek to the back of his head; The swordsman winced as he found a bump swelling and pulsing a bit.

Zer0 Zer0

Last edited:
- Kenren Taisho -
" Water Streets of Chingpo "

"Stop here." Kenren told the boatman. There was an ice cream lady with a frost golem as the boat went under a bridge; she was surrounded by kids and the prince called her to buy ice and two ice creams. It was probably the way he spoke and his authoritative bearing that made her come to him immediately despite his common dockworker outfit, and the kids whined.

The prince saw this and kindly told them, in that same friendly voice he adopted whenever he told someone to call him Ken-chan, that the ice cream's on him if he could buy at least ice first for his friend who bumped his head, and he gestured to Chenglei. The kids, starry eyed, immediately agreed to this and so the prince was served first.

He wrapped the bag of ice in the jacket he was wearing and tossed it to Chenglei. "I'll have the rocky road. Which flavor do you want?" he added to Chenglei him as the ice golem showed them all the ice cream flavors in its ice-crystal container. There was vanilla, chocolate, mango, strawberry, cookies and cream, rocky road, fish flavor, seaweed, and green tea.

Katsuya Katsuya

-Chenglei Zhou-

Chenglei tilted his head a bit, raising an eyebrow to the Prince who stopped the boat. The corner of his lips quirked a bit when the kids whined only for them to look so happy afterwards. The blonde smiled humbly at the kids and the ice cream lady with the frost golem in thanks; Some of the girls in the kids were giggling and looking at him before looking away with huge grins.

"T'ank ya." Chenglei said to the Prince.

He caught the jacket covered ice bag, placing it on his head where the bump is. Chenglei winced at the cold before smiling warm at the ice cream lady. "May I hav' da fish flavah?" His tone sounded sweet and low; the ice cream lady looked a bit flustered for some odd reason and the blonde raised an eyebrow.

Chenglei really did like the fishy flavor, weirdly enough.

Zer0 Zer0

- Kenren Taisho -
" Floating Market "

As their boat ambled along, the boatman enjoying an ice cream too, Kenren leaned back and just enjoyed the sights. There was no hurry as he savored his rocky road and spoke to Chenglei about how having waterways like these can increase trade back at home. As they paid their fare and got off at the floating market where the waterways were choke-full of vendors with their boats loaded with murlock scales, bottled sea urchin guts fermented in vinegar, dried kelp, fresh fish and octopi, he casually told him to meet him at a bridge where some kids were feeding ducks after they changed into better clothes.

The prince's disguise was that of a common traveler now and at his hip was an ordinary broadsword. "You've been through the city yesterday, Chenglei, is there someplace you want to go? I don't know my way around here or what's to see."

Katsuya Katsuya

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back