Mission Files - OOC Talk

1. I believe that the metamorphosis is per day, but the time can be broken up in increments as you wish. 

2. Where did you see HtH: Dragon? Sound interesting. I'll have to check it out.

3. I am using that dice rolling system with 1's and 2's getting rolled again. The "max" start I'm giving is a free 24, not a 30. 

1. You can make that the rule, of course, but it really doesn't say. Most other abilities are at will, though. But dragons seem plenty powerful, so it's not like it's a big deal :)

2. Page 349 in the Rifts Ultimate Edition book.

3. Cool. How does the maxing work when the base roll is 4d6? 30?

4. Can we do something about the ridiculous randomness of the MDC level? Could I, for instance, pick that for my maxed stat? Would it also benefit from the reroll 1s and 2s?

1. You can make that the rule, of course, but it really doesn't say. Most other abilities are at will, though. But dragons seem plenty powerful, so it's not like it's a big deal :)

2. Page 349 in the Rifts Ultimate Edition book.

3. Cool. How does the maxing work when the base roll is 4d6? 30?

4. Can we do something about the ridiculous randomness of the MDC level? Could I, for instance, pick that for my maxed stat? Would it also benefit from the reroll 1s and 2s?

Depending on the kind of dragon, you can have 2-4 hours of shape shifted time at level one per day.  The Royal Frilled Dragon can maintain an alternate form indefinitely by level 6, and it won't take that long to get there. 

The HtH: Dragon looks good to me.  You'll start with that for your combat ability.

Yes, if you max out a 4d6 roll, it would be a 30.

If you want to use your max roll for your dragon's MDC, I'll let you do that. 

Does IQ bonus to skills also apply to native languages, and can it raise skill ratings beyond 100% ?

A lot of things have +XX/level. Does the first level count towards this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've posted a first draft of my dragon. By gods, they're powerful creatures. Let me know if it's too OP to play one.

Does IQ bonus to skills also apply to native languages, and can it raise skill ratings beyond 100% ?

A lot of things have +XX/level. Does the first level count towards this?

Yes, Iq does increase all percentages, but to a max of 98%.  I might go ahead and house rule that you can increase above the 98% cap, and have any negative modifiers take off of the extra.  It is something I have done in past games.

No.  In cases where it lists say, 50% +5%, that second total only applies to the next level up, not the first purchase.  Only OCC or Iq bonuses will increase that.

Okay yeah, I hate to admit it, but after looking over the rules I've realized that this system isn't to my taste. Sorry Sherwood, but I think I might have to bow out.  :smile13:

Okay yeah, I hate to admit it, but after looking over the rules I've realized that this system isn't to my taste. Sorry Sherwood, but I think I might have to bow out.  :smile13:

Not a problem.  See you in the next game.

Dragons are pretty cool.  They do have some downsides, though.  The biggest is their lack of skills and the limited time that they can be shape-shifted.  We'll let you ride on top of the ATV as we drive!  

I've posted a first draft of my dragon. By gods, they're powerful creatures. Let me know if it's too OP to play one.

Your dragon looks good; you just need to post your combat stats for number of attacks/strike/parry/dodge etc. and you should be all set.  You are going to be the upper end of the scale for the game unless someone wants to snag a Glitter Boy or some other powered suit, but you'll need a few tanks in the party to take on the challenges you will be facing.  The dragon is a little higher MDC than the NPC I have planned to include, but if he wanted to he could nearly double his points by adding some cyborg heavy armor.  The downside to that is it doesn't bio-regenerate like his own body does, so I might have a suit of Borg armor around that he slips on when expecting a nasty scrap.

So @Vaneheart, any ideas on what you're looking to pull into this mix?  Once you have your sheet up, and @Epiphany finishes polishing her Mind Melter, we can get started.

Honestly, I'm not feeling the Mind Melter.  I've had a day to dwell on her and she's not coming together for me.  I like character history and when I can't get past two or three sentences...and when everyone else's PCs seem much more interesting to me than my own, it's time to do something different.

Don't let me hold the game up, though.  I'll try to put something together tomorrow as I have time but if I'm not ready by the time everyone else is, I'm sure I can be riding in the ATV or something until I am. :)

I understand.  Vaneheart still needs to put in his character, so it will be a few days at least before we are running. 

Hey @Sherwood you planning on us putting together an outfit using Rifts: Mercenaries writeup?  (i.e. pg. 9-18)?  Or are we basically freestyling it with the focus on adventuring rather than running an outfit?

Hey @Sherwood you planning on us putting together an outfit using Rifts: Mercenaries writeup?  (i.e. pg. 9-18)?  Or are we basically freestyling it with the focus on adventuring rather than running an outfit?

I had not planned on getting you into the Mercenary book, but if you guys want to make a larger, better organized company, we can.  I had more envisioned that you were all a band of adventurers that have need for coin on occasion, and as such, take on various jobs that don't go against your moral codes.

No.  In cases where it lists say, 50% +5%, that second total only applies to the next level up, not the first purchase.  Only OCC or Iq bonuses will increase that.

Cool. Does that also apply to the various other things like PPE, ISP and MDC?

So @Vaneheart, any ideas on what you're looking to pull into this mix?  Once you have your sheet up, and @Epiphany finishes polishing her Mind Melter, we can get started.

My bad, yesterday got away from me.  I should have something figured out tonight.  We have a dragon, a cyberknight, and a mystic so far?

A lot of the ideas I came up with were interesting, but would be hard to write in this medium.  Think I have it narrowed down to:

Ogre Mega-Juicer (probably easiest to play and write)
Titan, Elf, or D'norr Ley-Line Walker (probably with the Vampire Hunter Mage template addon)[might not be necessary since we have a mystic already]
Grackle Tooth, Titan, or Psi-Stalker Justice Ranger (would be a challenge to do the Psi Stalker, but interesting.  Grackle Tooth would be a terribad vampire hunter though.  Justice Ranger would be a good compliment to the Cyberknight.)
If we need something more durable or tankish, I could look at some of the heavy borg builds.  Kinda not feeling the power armor or robot pilots at the moment for some reason.

If we absolutely need a support/tech skills guy (fixing MDC equipment is rough as written, outside of the fifth level "Mend the Broken" spell), I was thinking dwarf operator or psi-operator.  Would be kinda boring in comparison to others though.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards a former Coalition RCSG Scientist caught in a Rift experiment and turned into a Heroes Unlimited-type, forcing her to run.  Will have a smattering of Major/Minor powers for adventuring purposes and ideally with the technical skills needed to keep the ATV going and fixing whatever breaks.  Which would neatly address the support/tech skills gap while still giving me something to do in combat besides shoot (poorly compared to others).  

If that's not a sell, I may go for a heavy borg myself.  Given I'm already playing with mecha in one of Sherwood's other games, kinda disinclined to play with more power armor or robots as well.  

Cool. Does that also apply to the various other things like PPE, ISP and MDC?

Yup. 

My bad, yesterday got away from me.  I should have something figured out tonight.  We have a dragon, a cyberknight, and a mystic so far?

A lot of the ideas I came up with were interesting, but would be hard to write in this medium.  Think I have it narrowed down to:

Ogre Mega-Juicer (probably easiest to play and write)
Titan, Elf, or D'norr Ley-Line Walker (probably with the Vampire Hunter Mage template addon)[might not be necessary since we have a mystic already]
Grackle Tooth, Titan, or Psi-Stalker Justice Ranger (would be a challenge to do the Psi Stalker, but interesting.  Grackle Tooth would be a terribad vampire hunter though.  Justice Ranger would be a good compliment to the Cyberknight.)
If we need something more durable or tankish, I could look at some of the heavy borg builds.  Kinda not feeling the power armor or robot pilots at the moment for some reason.

If we absolutely need a support/tech skills guy (fixing MDC equipment is rough as written, outside of the fifth level "Mend the Broken" spell), I was thinking dwarf operator or psi-operator.  Would be kinda boring in comparison to others though.

Any of those builds would work. Which book is the Justice Ranger in? I want to look it over.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards a former Coalition RCSG Scientist caught in a Rift experiment and turned into a Heroes Unlimited-type, forcing her to run.  Will have a smattering of Major/Minor powers for adventuring purposes and ideally with the technical skills needed to keep the ATV going and fixing whatever breaks.  Which would neatly address the support/tech skills gap while still giving me something to do in combat besides shoot (poorly compared to others).  

If that's not a sell, I may go for a heavy borg myself.  Given I'm already playing with mecha in one of Sherwood's other games, kinda disinclined to play with more power armor or robots as well.  

Super hero action! I like it.

Justice Ranger is out of Rifts World Book 14 - New West.  It's on page 96.  It's pretty tame, but flavorful.

At least until someone pulls out a boomgun and starts taking pot shots. Those things are scary!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back