• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Million Dollar American Princesses

SandraDeelightful

Look at me, I’m Sandra Dee
It is the guilty secret of the British aristocracy, how much American blood runs through it's veins. Between the end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th, over 200 American heiresses marry English lords. This is the story of those American beauties and how their vitality and dollars break down the doors of the British establishment. Some find love, but for others, their marriages are hell on earth. They are the Million Dollar American Princesses.
-Elizabeth McGovern, Million Dollar American Princesses​

In the 1870's, the rulers of New York Society are known as the Knickerbockers, or old money. But with America in its Gilded Age, plenty of people are working their way up and earning fortunes. But the Knickerbockers look down on the Nouveau Riche, or the new money, and refuse to allow them into their world.

So, for the families of the Nouveau Riche to be accepted by the Knickerbockers, they go to England, and marry their daughters to the English nobility. In exchange, the noble families of Britain get a large dowry, as they are lacking in money, and would like to keep up the lives they've always known. The Knickerbockers cannot keep out the families of British nobles.

Many of these Anglo-American marriages were love matches. But, as more and more of these American rich girls bought their way into the British elite, the deal, dollars for a title, was exposed in all its cruelty.
-Elizabeth McGovern, Million Dollar American Princesses​

Would this be of interest to anyone?

I would be interested in joining, perhaps as a sister of one of the British elite who falls head over heels for her brother's bride? Which during that time period would have been supremely scandalous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back