• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

MGPD (Magical Burst 4th Ed)

Silvertongued

Yes, this is dog
The Pitch As long as there's life, there's crime, and the City is no different. And as long as there's crime, cops will walk the beat, to prevent, track down, and deal with the lawbreakers. 'Course now, with the swing in the economy, poor choices on part of the local government, and little efforts to restructure bad neighborhoods, the crime rate has skyrocketed.

But that ain't even the half of it. As it turns out, there's a whole 'nother world, just teeming beneath the surface. The Realm. Not quite its own thing, not quite a reflection, but just as much a part of the grand scheme of things as everything else. They're both connected, this world and that one, and what happens in one, affects the other. Turns out that spirits and other magical mumbo jumbo are just as prone to crime as the regular Johnny-Break-In, possibly even more so, since they have actual shrines and entities dedicated to the arts of lawbreaking.

The regular cops don't even know this secret world exists, let alone how to deal with it and its residents.

That's where you come in.

See, you got wrapped up in all this because you made a deal. Maybe you were angry at something that happened, and wanted to make sure it never happened again. Maybe you wanted vengeance. Maybe you wanted to do what you felt was your civic duty. Maybe you wanted to help people, in any way you could. Maybe you were just bored. Fact of the matter is, now you're one of the proud members of the MGPD. You're here to police the borders, uphold the laws, and serve the people, of both worlds, as well as do the ensuing paperwork. The fact that you're an adolescent girl with no real formal training shouldn't really be a problem, should it?

This is a Magical Burst 4th Edition game for 3-6 players, with the players characters being acting members of the Magical Girl Police Department of the City, or the MGPD. Single PCs will be partnered with other single PCs, or a suitably fleshed out NPC should there be an odd number of players.

General themes are action, comedy, and drama, with the occasional darker themes popping up; after all, you're still not quite adults, and probably not used to dealing with the harsher realities of life, such as death, poverty, or drug use, among others.

If you would like to play, but don't have Magical Burst, or would like to explore a game mechanically set up to playing Dark Magical Girl games, you can find it here for free.

I'm intrigued, but I'm also a newbie at the system. I hope you don't mind a little hand-holding while I get used to things?

Awesome! Looking forward to the game then, just read the pdf and I was thinking of a daughter of a police officer as a starting concept.

C:

Magical girls, you say~?

Police force, you say~?

Taking down crooks with sugar plum raindrops and rainbow hearts you say?

I'm in.

So, we've got a trio of folks who definitely seem interested. Considering that this has been up for about a week and a bit, I think that's probably the most we're gonna get, barring any stragglers.

So tell me, do any of you have character concepts that you'd like to explore and work out? Foolish, you said something about daughter of a police officer?

I'mma go for a bookworm. Originally hired to the force to help with paperwork and tidy the books in a metaphorical and literal sense. Alter ego is Wraith (placename for the moment), a ghost/spirit style magical girl.

More creepy-cute than anything remotely sinister though. Probably Witch archetype, with invisibility and walking through walls to be a big part of her skill set.

Silvertongued said:
Foolish, you said something about daughter of a police officer?
Yeah, I had been pondering on why she would agree to join MGPD beyond her wish and then I thought that seeing her parents as police officers (or at least Law Enforcement Officers) would be a enough of her push to basically go, "Yeah, I'm like mom and dad now."

But of course, while she's seen her parents stressed and tired a few times, she's never really quite connected the dots about the fact that Law Enforcement is tough. I'd imagine when magic's involved, that fact is taken up all the way to 11.

Yeah I got an idea I'm tossing about right now.

You know how a lot of anime have that one female character who's kind and selfless talented and all that? I want to explore that character archetype and how an existence like that can't survive in a setting like this.

Actual character-wise, I'm thinking of either a person who is either someone who has been molded into that type by others or who acts like it for entirely the wrong reasons (i.e. helping tutor a failing student because it proves how much better you are). Either way, there'll be a definite aspect of two-facedness.

Class-wise, she'll probably be Knight or Support. I can settle for whichever isn't taken.

So, I decided to try generating my character to see if I have an idea of what I want, had to roll a few times because I was running out of ideas.

00. Name?

- Hyuuga Yuko

[dice]9878[/dice]

- Cosmic Guardian Dazzling Yuko

[dice]9879[/dice]

01. What kind of girl are you?

- All about lawfulness, rather personable as well. A tomgirl through and through, with hardly a sign of feminity except for glimpses here and there, usually to do with her favorite musicians.

02. What convinced you to make a pact?

- When the tsukaima mentioned that there was an MGPD that polices the supernatural, she wavered but did not sign up. Until her father's arrest under allegations of corruption and bribery.

03. What is your wish?

- "I want to know the truth behind father's case. He can't be guilty, he's a policeman!"

04. Magical Element

- Rage

[dice]9880[/dice]

05. Magical Weapon

- A pair of tonfa.

06. Magical Power

- Astral Projection

[dice]9881[/dice]

07. Magical Girl Costume

- Armour, Green, Tiara [Going to sort this out, just need a little time]

[dice]9882[/dice]

08. Normal Attributes

- Charm: 6

- Insight: 4

- Tenacity: 7

09. Magical Attributes

- Magic: 6 (Defense)

- Heart: 5 (Support)

- Fury: 7 (Attack)

10. Base Resolve

11. Magical Specialization

- Knight

12. Magical Talents

- Boost, Recover

- Teleport

- Steal Action

13. Crisis

- Father's been arrested on allegations of corrupt practices and accepting bribes, mother has been drinking because of it, but it's not true! Father's a good man and I will prove it!

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually generated a character for an old game using this system and still have her stored away. What are the odds.

Excellent, we have four players, and everyone, those concepts seem pretty legit, I like 'em. What's yours like @Teh Frixz?

Right, one last question before I put up the thread: Who wants to be partners with who?

Well, the old game was much more magical girl for sake of magical girl. Not as much a police force. She was a 'dark comedian' concept. Like her family used to be fun but shades were stealing happiness from people and the laughter was gone. So she made the deal and became kind of a magical grim reaper harlequin a la the Dark Eldar (wh40k) type. I'd probably have to rework and tweak things to work.

She wasn't grim creepy or anything, just that sort of black comedy involving expertly timed inappropriate jokes, cynical world observations, and the no boundary comedy rules. Not sure at all what that would be on a police station except someone who has been around too long and they deal with their depression that way. Maybe a play on the 'three days from retirement' cliche?

Silvertongued said:
Right, one last question before I put up the thread: Who wants to be partners with who?
I don't know to be honest, I'm just going to say that I'm good with whoever especially since everyone else has seen my character's sheet. So it's up to you guys in this case.

As a reminder, currently my character's a Concerned Big Sister meets Lawful Officer archetype.

Oh, Silver? What ages can we make our characters in this game?

That cliche works perfectly Frixz. Dark humor and all that jazz is probably part and parcel of any PD.

And as for ages, I'm thinking anywhere between 12 to 15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back