• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Metal Gear Rising: Tactical Cooperative Action

DrBones

Promise Nothing Deliver Less
The year is 2018. It has been four years since the SOP system collapsed. With it went the five largest PMCs in the world. The war economy waned like a full moon, diminished but not gone. These three events are clearly linked, but the exact correlation is cloaked in mystery. All the public knows is that, when SOP was destroyed, a miraculous golden age of technological advancement began.

Cybernetic augmentation and gene therapy became affordable to most nations and companies, sparking a new leg of the constant arms race plaguing humanity. Though ID control and weapon control are a thing of the past, private military companies found a new way to control their soldiers: cybernetics. People swapped their organs and limbs out for company-sponsored cyborg parts, literally linking their lives to their company's.

Many PMCs chose to invest heavily in cybernetic augmentation
and rose to fill the gap that Outer Heaven left. Wasp Sting is but one of them, and it is with them that you have found employment. You, alongside many others, have replaced your body and your mind with company property; try not to disappoint your superiors.

Have you ever wanted to experience the grip of the war economy? Have you ever wanted to find yourself thrust into dire situations with no clear victor? Have you ever wanted to fight strange and eccentric foes with cutting-edge technology, using nothing but your ingenuity and what military hardware you can procure on-site? Have you ever wanted to engage in some espionage, but didn't want to be forced to avoid combat? This RP is for you!

1. Lightweight System: All skill checks and dice rolls will be done using four 3-sided dice, thanks to the magic of the FUDGE system. In addition, there are only 3 stats to keep track of!
  2. Tactics & Teamwork: A strong sense of teamwork and critical thinking are highly suggested, as you'll be working with a squad of your other players. Their success is your success!
  3. Metal Gear Lunacy: Mixing seriousness with ludicrousness has always been a staple of Metal Gear. This RP will be no different!
  4. Mission Structure: When your squad is sent out into the world, you'll be treated to a mission with actual objectives, tactical requirements, and multiple ways to solve each problem!
  5. Political Intrigue: Your characters will travel across the world, dealing with corporate espionage just as much as they deal with hostile forces.

Requirements: You must be able to work in a team. Inter-character conflict is quite alright, but the stakes are high if you fail. Basic mathematical skills and a good sense of strategy are just as vital. You may want to make your characters a bit light-hearted; nobody wants a whole team of Raidens. Don't expect victories to be handed to you, missions are going to be treated like a traditional tabletop game, with combat being actually decided by something other than the player's eloquence.

I'd be interested in playing, it sounds like fun, and I'd like to think your so very harsh requirements are meant!

I love the Metal Gear franchise and the premise for this RP is pretty good. Count me in.

Well, the last MGS game I was in went pear-shaped pretty quickly. I'm in. These requirements outghta remove some of the chaff.

I'm all in. Should be better than the last fiasco I was in. For starters, the GM can actually write in a comprehensible language.

I think this is plenty of interest for the game. If this many people are actually going to be playing, I think I'll have to recruit a co-GM or two to occupy other squads.

I love the MGS series. Sounds like it's MGRR crossed over with Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

I'd like to join, but what's FUDGE?

I'm sorry, I'm new here.. >__<

Fate can be fun.

But for battles it sucks ass and can't do anything tacticool and indepth.

Seriously Open Wushu has better combat handling and it's rules are barely a page long

Also Fate Accelerated is pretty much FUDGE

Spoilering because it's not entirely relevant and we have a subforum for this kind of conversation.

With the latest version, that depends on how your GM tweaks it and how well it serves your purpose. I know a guy who used it to run a tactical battle between mechs and a Kaiju that turned out pretty well, then F-A to run WWII Assassin's Creed. Both seemed to work out pretty well.

Is FUDGE that much better at being tacticool? It's been years since I've used it for anything.

I always hated the Aspect mechanics that make up FATE and to a lesser extent FUDGE.

Half the game becomes roleplaying in a specific fashion in order to get a mechanical advantage, making roleplaying into a bogged-down chore and removing any real tactical depth from combat because the actions themselves more or less don't matter, just how well you bullshit it.

It's like someone took the worst parts of freeform and P&P combat and stitched them together to form what is basically ruleslight's shambling idiot cousin.

I always looked at it as more of an excuse than a chore.

Though I'll agree that without specific limits and tweaks combat is more of a coolness montage.

Not good for every game, but for some it's pretty useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back