• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Masks RPG OoC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Hi, looks like I missed a convo.

"TURN ORDER"
There are no Turns in this game. In a live version, everyone pretty much talks whenever they want - and if one player hasn't done much, the GM will wait for them to do something. We'll be doing the same. Post whenever you want, wait for me to resolve your actions, then post again whenever you want. Just use normal RP etiquette here - don't post too often and overwhelm the thread, but feel free to post whenever.

EDIT: However, as the GM, I may also push other people to post and resolve their actions first so they get to have their chance to shine.

CONDITIONS
Conditions are essentially debuffs - they add penalties to your various rolls. If you look at your Playbook, it tells you what Conditions add which debuffs. It's an emotional obstacle that prevents you from getting something done (i.e. Peter Parker being too Hopeless to use his powers in Spider-Man 2, or Iron Man being too Angry to phone Captain America in Infinity War).

You can take a Condition if you think it fits the story, but generally you take a Condition only when the GM tells you to. For example, every time you Directly Engage a Threat, you AND the villain are "trading blows", which means you (and technically the target) Take a Powerful Blow. WHEN you Take a Powerful Blow, one of the options is to mark two conditions. There are other ways to get Conditions. Sometimes, I will just straight-up tell you "You are now getting real angry. Mark Angry." (Though that's rare)

You keep this Condition until you've resolved a scene in a particular way. The book says this:

"At the end of any scene in which you take the corresponding action, clear that condition.
• To clear Angry, hurt someone or break something important.
• To clear Afraid, run from something difficult.
• To clear Guilty, make a sacrifice to absolve your guilt.
• To clear Hopeless, fling yourself into easy relief.
• To clear Insecure, take foolhardy action without talking to your team."

You should check with me before clearing a Condition ("Hey Wonder, the scene is over and I think I hurt someone enough to clear Angry").

OPPORTUNITIES
An "opportunity" isn't defined mechanically - it's just an in-fiction benefit! This game is a lot more about storytelling than mechanics. When you choose this option, you just come up with a possible result that ends with you getting an advantage. But choosing this option means that your character is working with a team-mate, and teamwork is what this game is all about... so it means that the GM will be more forgiving in terms of scenes. In this game, a "miss" on a roll ISN'T a complete failure - it just means that things don't go the way you originally intended. Given the circumstances, you might "miss" on a roll and still sorta succeed because of your team's efforts!

On another note, if characters try to do some teamwork, they could use Team Points... but I'll explain that after this session. I'm ignoring Team Moves for now while everyone gets used to the game - and also because you're not a team yet.

ANOTHER THING I FORGOT TO MENTION
The way you "level up" in this game is through Potential. You get 1 Potential every time you roll a MISS (6 or lower). When you get 5 Potential, you may pick one of the benefits on your sheet under "Potential". Since some of you have already rolled some misses, make sure to mark your Potentials! I urge you all to edit your character sheets in the other thread to mark these changes. So far, I'm seeing 1 Potential for El Aguila, 1 Potential for Ferric, and 1 Potential for the Squire.

Last edited:
On more personal questions now.

EbonChevalier EbonChevalier You unfortunately rolled a 12 (oof) on Take a Powerful Blow. So you have to choose from the first list that Seraph posted for you.

EXPLANATION OF 10+ ( TAKE A POWERFUL BLOW )
1. Removing yourself from the situation means you lose. You pass out, and you can't do anything else for the rest of the scene - you wake up at the beginning of the next scene. There are times when this is good, but... you don't wanna do this, generally.
2. You lose your control of your powers means you do some horrible damage that you don't mean to. For El Aguila, he might somehow tackle a pillar and cause the whole building to collapse, for example.
3. You can also choose two less intense options from the second list.

EXPLANATION OF 7-9 ( TAKE A POWERFUL BLOW )
1. You would be using the Provoke action against a teammate... which isn't great. It means you roll to Provoke, and if you Hit, your teammate either does what you say... or they mark a Condition.
2. Like I said, "opportunity" is just flavor. This means that I can have the Axolotl do one (1) bad thing to you. :)
3. You mark two conditions. Easy.

Here's my recommendation. I'd suggest you choose two 7-9 options... then among those, you pick the two that you think matches the situation best. In this case, since Axolotl no-selled your attack, I'd recommend 2) you give ground and 3) you struggle past the pain. That would be El Aguila going forward, realizing the attack doesn't do anything, then getting hit REALLY hard.

How free reign am I allowed with Gadgets and Weapons btw. Right now I'm thinking of throwing knock off batarangs atm but this is probably something I should ask sooner than later before I start whipping out weirder stuff

Well as long as you don't pull out a gadget that's perfect for a given situation ("how convenient that I have this shark repellant!" etc etc)... go for it man!

oof. here's hoping for success with a big catch just floundering.

either way imma just take my potential.

Wave made his entrance hes pretty surprised the amount of heroes already on the scene haha. Also yeah he doesnt control temperature of the water well but he can stop water in a type of stasis basically ice that looks like water.

Hi Jumbus Jumbus , I hadn’t approved your character yet. Also, I asked you to wait until this particular session was resolved. I don’t mind having you jump in right now but please don’t make a habit out of this.

I’m going to look over your sheet. I’m assuming it’s fine, so once I approve it I’ll resolve your action.

Is that an Unleash Your Powers roll since I'm not really engaging or defending or nothing, or is it a Defend Roll since I'm trying to make Veil not get dragged off?

we r just having a not good time trying to defend people these days

tfw i'm already like two misses away from a level up

I believe in Veil's ability to take my missed throwing knives and roll at least a 7 on trying to stab this guy with them

or literally anyone else's ability to roll more than a 7. I spent all my RNG luck on gacha games this week.

Then again, Success with BIG CONSEQUENCE is also a miss result if you don't want Veil to get napped.

Sorry I seem to be missing some action. Normally my phone alerts me to posts...but I had it muted cause I went to a show. Anyway, made my post.

Also, I'm assuming I need to roll for Take a Powerful Blow as well since I'm directly engaging, while being held by the enemy.

Well, basically you "unleashed your powers" (acrobatic prowess) to move extremely fast and intercept the Axolotl. Soooo a temporary version would be that you only temporarily intercepted the Axolotl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back