Makeing a Zombie Apocalypse RP

Divine_Stalker

Looked better on paper
So I want to make a old fashioned Zombie Apocalypse RP, for my first RP I'll run on RpN.

I have all the basic ideas thought of, the rough idea for the story and how the zombie outbreak started, the zombie sub-types, how the CS will look, and how it will play.

But the thing I'm struggling with is the Location, where in the world to have the RP take place? I was thinking of a decently sized place with a higher population, so they be more zombies, but also have some less populated area to act as a safe zone, so your not constantly worrying about zombies.

As odd is it may seem I'd love to picture a zombie outbreak in the Windy city of Chicago.

Another idea I had once was having it take place on the Golden Gate bridge. Imagine it at it's foggiest. Riddled with traffic and then the car radio starts to blare warnings. People at the center of the bridge thinking it's an elaborate hoax and under the dense fog being unable to see further. Hours later the infection reaches one end of the bridge and maybe some time later on the opposite bank too.

How ofcourse there are food and delivery trucks on the designated lanes so we do have supplies for a short to medium time span. Just an idea of-course :D

Hum I may use San Francisco, as it wouldn't be too hard to quarantine/seal off the area. Steal off the Oakland Bay bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge and a few more areas.

I was once in an RP called Cruize Ship. It was about a zombie outbreak on a cruise ship. It made for an really interesting dynamic, because you didn't have the average setting of a city, town, or like a whole country or region. We were stuck on a ship in the middle of the Pacific.

Anyway, that's not what you're looking for, but It gave me the idea of adding a bigger element of population. What if the outbreak happened while there was a heavy presence of tourists and visitors into the city, let's say for a massive festival, cruise ship are making port and tourists are everywhere. Take the base population, and add hundreds of thousands more people, and zombies to add an extra layer of depth to that aspect in the plot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was once in an RP called Cruize Ship. It was about a zombie outbreak on a cruise ship. It made for an really interesting dynamic, because you didn't have the average setting of a city, town, or like a whole country or region. We were stuck on a ship in the middle of the Pacific.

Anyway, that's not what you're looking for, but It gave me the idea of adding a bigger element of population. What if the outbreak happened while there was a heavy presence of tourists and visitors into the city, let's say for a massive festival, cruise ship are making port and tourists are everywhere. Take the base population, and add hundreds of thousands more people, and zombies to add an extra layer of depth to that aspect in the plot.

Oh that's a cool idea, could also be a good cover as people would just think the "Zombies" at first are part of the festival at first.

Maybe a plane could crash in an overrun forest and our characters are the survivors of the crash

Would end pretty quickly.

First, why would the forest be overrun in the first place?

Second, If the zombies are the people that didn't survive the crash, the zombies wouldn't really get far in a day or two, so just walking away from the crash could easily end the zombie plot.

Would end pretty quickly.

First, why would the forest be overrun in the first place?

Second, If the zombies are the people that didn't survive the crash, the zombies wouldn't really get far in a day or two, so just walking away from the crash could easily end the zombie plot.

The zombies that were passing through would be the zombies that were originally there to overrun it since forests are very dense with trees and large amounts of zombies can't really get through trees. Sorry if it doesn't make sense it'd be easier to draw it out instead of explain it in words but I kinda rn XD

The zombies that were passing through would be the zombies that were originally there to overrun it since forests are very dense with trees and large amounts of zombies can't really get through trees. Sorry if it doesn't make sense it'd be easier to draw it out instead of explain it in words but I kinda rn XD

But the zombies wouldn't really leave the city they're located, and if they did, they would probably head towards highways because, theoretically speaking, said places would be littered with bodies.

But the zombies wouldn't really leave the city they're located, and if they did, they would probably head towards highways because, theoretically speaking, said places would be littered with bodies.

Bodies that would quickly turn since zombies wouldn't be fast enough unless there were different kinds of zombies like in (left for dead I believe? if not I'm thinking of the wrong game). Unless there are runners or crawlers regular ol' zombies wouldn't get to the bodies fast enough before they turn

oh people posting on here...

In my RP the city and surrounding areas are quarantined, keeping people and zombies from excapeing.

Bodies that would quickly turn since zombies wouldn't be fast enough unless there were different kinds of zombies like in (left for dead I believe? if not I'm thinking of the wrong game). Unless there are runners or crawlers regular ol' zombies wouldn't get to the bodies fast enough before they turn

I'm following this zombie concept: If you get killed AND have your brains eaten by a zombie you wouldn't turn, but instead remain a body.

Last edited by a moderator:
This probably wouldn't fit, but you could have it set somewhere like Alaska where the characters are homesteaders (of the modern variety) and the zombies are active at night. Maybe they rot to easily in warm climates but function better in the cold? Sort of reverse the trope of zombies not being able to survive the cold. 

I had a pretty cool running storyline where survivors made it to a docked Aircraft Carrier and had to find the necessary gear and equipment to launch safely away from the city. As each IRL month went by, the rolls (it was a dice RP) got progressively more difficult and friendly survivors were replaced with bandits. 

My friend once looked at an article listing the most safe and the least safe cities in the US in case of a zombie apocalypse. The article itself wasn't too interesting, save for one fact. One of the most dangerous cities to be in during the apocalypse, Los Angeles, is a three hour's drive north from one of the safest cities, San Diego. Perhaps the military sets up a blockade between LA and SD, and players would have characters trying to cross into SD from LA, having to not only deal with the bloodbath that is downtown LA, but running perhaps on foot all the way to SD with zombies after them, only to be stopped at gunpoint at a military blockade. Perhaps SD is under quarantine to keep the zombies out, but when the characters finally make it inside the city, they realize one of their own was turning, thus endangering the city and probably almost getting them all killed in the end? Twist ending, the military kills them anyways because they're not risking a city for a handful of survivors. I think it would make for a tense and exciting role play, albeit not one I personally could pull off GM-ing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back