• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Magical School RP #2263

Duwang

No Weakness
I just want to RP some magical school and felt like the others didn't offer completely what I had in mind. I'm GMing, of course. Possibly with some others acting as co-GMs or back-up GMs should I ever get tired, busy, overwhelmed or otherwise distracted.

Settingwise, I was looking for something that's kinda modern. Technology stems from magic, where inventors and philosophers are primarily artificers and wizards who through working with magic have created very modern amenities, for instance: cellphones powered by magical crystal batteries and allow mundane, nonmagical beings to communicate with one another through what's practically telepathy; and magical flying machines mass produced in factories and marketed to the average family.

It probably won't take place on Earth and will have a very different history. Politics will be present but not really focused on. I want the world to be extremely expansive so that players could create whatever they wanted within reason.

Systemwise, I'm thinking something ruleslite, most likely using the Fate system. I'm not too open to other systems because I think Fate would allow the best in terms of creative freedom and balance as far as character creation and play goes especially in a school RP.

Character advancement will be handled by semester.

The school will be organized by a trimester system in which character advancement is done per trimester. The school's alma mater can probably make reappearances after graduation so old characters that one has grown attached to and have graduated don't have to be gone forever.

Students will be organized into different houses. Kinda like Harry Potter. The means in which they're organized, however, depends on how many players I get. If I start with fewer player characters, I'll find a way to fit them all in the same house. If I start with more, I'll probably organize them all into different houses depending on various factors.

Combat won't be focused on too much, though will be present. There will likely be events with fights between houses. Most competition, however, will be between houses in multiple events throughout the year but will also include overall student performance, points awarded for higher average physical and academic performance between houses.

I also want rival schools to exist because, seriously, when do those ever come up in school RPs? They would probably come into play in the form of sports competitions, school festivals, field trips, and transfer students.

I have the prefix set as casual but that can change depending on player base. I don't like enforcing post length or frequency and will not so long as all the players are decent people.

RedLikeRoses said:
I'm interested, but could you explain what you mean by the Fate System?
Fate as in the Roleplaying system. I have it linked in the OP but here it is again if you missed it: Fate Roleplaying Game SRD | Fate RPG SRD

The system uses fudge/fate dice which are marked with + and - signs. Every time you want to do something, you declare the skill you want to use to do that something then roll four fate dice.

I'll explain further once the RP thread goes up. I guess I'll start making it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've changed my mind about Fate and think I'll be using a more simplistic system using six-sided dice. Just to make it easier for players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man. I'm not nearly as fast a typer as I think I am. The thread is up, but it's not really running as I lack a lot of the actual setting information. The OOC is here though for anyone who would rather chat there.

DrBones said:
Can you give us some details about your setting?
The RP will take place in the fictional land of Magica. There, landmasses drift in oceans of clouds suspended high above the planet's core. It is a high magic modern fantasy world where technology evolved from magic and most devices run on some form of magic. Magica is a big and wild place and so there are few limits as to what creatures could evolve and what cultures could form among its many islands.

The school, as the title says, prepares students as dungeoneers. Dungeons are a big part of the setting, included in just about every part of it. In this setting, most dungeons are living things with minds of their own which grow and have their own life cycles. Though once a great mystery, because much research has been made on them, more and more gets discovered about dungeons year after year, leading to new technologies.

The school itself would be old enough that it has some history, but not nearly as big, old, or famous as our world's Oxford.

ThatSideCharacter said:
ooo this sounds pretty nice actually. you have my interest. although i'm quite a noob at the RNG stuff
Don't worry about it. Mechanics will be fairly simple and probably won't apply to absolutely everything so as not to get in the way of actual roleplaying.

Duwang said:
Don't worry about it. Mechanics will be fairly simple and probably won't apply to absolutely everything so as not to get in the way of actual roleplaying.
thats good. I'm just saying it is a first for my to actually use a die system

I've managed to fine-tune the character sheet to the point where people may now start submitting their characters! Currently, I'm looking for first year students, though don't hesitate to ask about creating anything else.

Loftheart School of the Arcane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back