• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Lovecraft Apocalypse - OOC

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Will our characters be aware of exactly what is going on, or will it be more like there is something bad but we don't know what yet?

If horrors like this are in the physical realm, absolutely.

If we go with experienced characters, the adventurers could have been trying to prevent this in the Dreamlands and failed. Maybe the event occurred a month prior. Cracks / rifts manifesting all over the planet. A few months .. and you have cults of evil and madness.

Adventurers should have some clue about general info. Some gaming geek might THINK he knows - or could have real experience, possibly born of failures that cost him all his friends....

Secondary characters might see stuff in the news and be struggling to make sense of it.

Or go forward a few months and KNOW everything has gone mad and be terrified, in need of leadership. (Think DNPC's).

I have a character in mind who is competent, not an adventurer, but smart enough to work through some of the basics. But I am thinking she may have a couple kids in tow.

Speaking of things like kids in tow. Such NPC's can have full CS profiles, or partial. Just depends on how attached you want to be.

I'm thinking of going with a mentally unstable psychic, probably with a friend in tow for my first concept.

Looking forward to them. I tried to keep the character types more open than usual, with an eye toward survival.

Been up since 0130. It's almost 2100 hrs here. But I tend to wake up every few hours. Will check in to see if anyone has questions.

LeRuse LeRuse Telepathy is quite probably the worst ability someone could have in a Lovecraft setting. More so with no defenses. The group will have to put a bullet in your brain. (Telepathy is also an ability that I never allow even in a superhero RP. It tends to be an RP breaker. But let's ignore that fact for the moment.) I am trying not to laugh. Ya know, I used to have this GM back in my days of playing some White Wolf and Timelords EABA. He was always happy to give you as much rope as you wanted - so you could hang yourself with it. I still recall one player who annoyed him once too often. we ended up with an encounter with a Nexus Crawler - the most dangerous bane in the game. All of us immediately chose to flee. The idea was to be getting from point A to point B as fast as possible anyway. That player? He chose to turn and fight, but needed to go hit the restroom. The GM politely said sure. Then while the guy was gone he turned the guy's CS into confetti - literally. The pile was waiting for him when he got back.

Beyond the glaring potential for being killed and having no means of survival, he's fine.

Added a small group. One is an actual US marine. At least that will mean one member of the group with combat skills. Two others in his group have skills. They just aren't military or police. One is CIA (just completed schooling and getting accepted). The other grew up with off grid survivalists and left home as soon as he was able. He loved his family, but ... you know how it is.)

The fourth member was a cheerleader and beauty pageant winner ... Okay ... can anyone say ... "bait?" Seriously, her husband is the survivalist - who has made it a point to teach her how to handle a gun. (The rest of the group LOVES playing paintball with her.)

I'll try and get my main CS up later today or tomorrow - currently I'm thinking of a paramedic character. After that I'll probably make a couple other secondary characters . Did you have an idea of how many total characters you want in this RP when it begins, or is there no limit? I don't want to make too many characters but given the setting I have no problem with killing off some of my characters as we go to thin the herd lmao

machitan machitan I am thinking most of us should handle no more than 2 or 3 "main" characters. You may note that I have 1 singular character and a group of 4. I may not run all of those actively and leave some in the background - unless they are interacted with. But the Wis crew is a very cohesive group that has already been through life / death struggles even before the apocalypse. If I didn't know them so well already I wouldn't even try.

I am debating one more character. Anything beyond that will probably be cannon fodder.

I DO have at least two other characters I will introduce. But those are planned encounters, not characters to remain with the group.

Ashy_OCdesigns Ashy_OCdesigns Are you familiar with HP Lovecraft settings?

machitan machitan I am thinking most of us should handle no more than 2 or 3 "main" characters. You may note that I have 1 singular character and a group of 4. I may not run all of those actively and leave some in the background - unless they are interacted with. But the Wis crew is a very cohesive group that has already been through life / death struggles even before the apocalypse. If I didn't know them so well already I wouldn't even try.

I am debating one more character. Anything beyond that will probably be cannon fodder.

I DO have at least two other characters I will introduce. But those are planned encounters, not characters to remain with the group.

Ashy_OCdesigns Ashy_OCdesigns Are you familiar with HP Lovecraft settings?
not really. Can you please explain?

My CS is up, I kept it pretty short and simple, let me know if anything needs to be changed. I've decided that my second character will be his son so I'll get his CS ready soon as well.

machitan machitan Looked fine. (I would swear I already responded with this. But just in case.) Looking forward to the son.

For everyone:
A. Do we want to start as a group already?

B. How long do we want it to be since everything first started. At one month it is a series of bizarre reports in the news. By three months all Hell has begun to break loose, though probably too early for Cults.

C. WHERE do we want to start the group?

Alex is from north of Boston.

The Wis Crew is from all over. But they were meeting back up in NYC starting at JFK. (That would have been probably at the one month point.) They were then heading to a place about an hour southeast of Boston along the coast where the Thompkins were about to start an aquaculture business. Chase had business in NYC. Kevin had family business back in Wisconsin. But they would do everything as a group.

LOL, we need more characters / members ... some who have a prayer of surviving.

For everyone:
A. Do we want to start as a group already?

B. How long do we want it to be since everything first started. At one month it is a series of bizarre reports in the news. By three months all Hell has begun to break loose, though probably too early for Cults.

C. WHERE do we want to start the group?

Alex is from north of Boston.

The Wis Crew is from all over. But they were meeting back up in NYC starting at JFK. (That would have been probably at the one month point.) They were then heading to a place about an hour southeast of Boston along the coast where the Thompkins were about to start an aquaculture business. Chase had business in NYC. Kevin had family business back in Wisconsin. But they would do everything as a group.
I think getting a few more people would be ideal, although I'm fine with starting as a group if nobody else signs up in the next few days (I can also make a third character if necessary). For the time setting, maybe at the 2-3 month mark? Starting when things have really started to break down would be interesting imo, since there'd be a reason for the characters to have broken from their regular routine and end up meeting each other but also everyone would still be very confused. And as for location, I really have no preference so if you have a certain location in mind we can go for that. Boston or NYC could be interesting if it would line up with your group of characters.

Alex Tanis will understand exactly what is going on. His family has been researching this stuff for centuries, His estate was established before the Revolutionary War. He has a library devoted to Things Man Was Not Meant to Know locked away. Most of his ancestors were the Indiana Jones type.

I am still debating whether to introduce his driver / bodyguard or have him on his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back