• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy LotR-Inspired Fantasy Craving

Lucyfer

Said you'd die for me, well -- there's the ground
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check

Lord of the Rings inspired Cravings

• "I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened?"

So, long story short, I rewatched Lord of the Rings and awoke my desire for an original fantasy thread. I hesitate to do these, because as anyone who's done these knows, it's a lot of world building, and when it falls through, you're just left...drained.

That said, I have gone ahead and put in some work since I can't get my mind of fthe subject.

These are going to be heavily inspired by Lord of the Rings, and pull on these major themes:

1. The "Big Bad" is obvious. As much as I love Game of Thrones, Berserk, Dark Souls, and other things with questionable morality, for once I want the Big Bad to be unambiguous. Their allies and minions can be, sure, but not the Big Bad.
    2. There is going to be a cursed magical item that has to be destroyed. There may also be other magical items, but there will be at least one, main item, like the Ring, that needs to be destroyed.
    3. A large group will come together - not all at once - and will split.
    4. Fate. I like thematics of Fate, so it is something we should consider with the characters. Think of Aragorn and his fate to become King of Gondor, or Smeagol's fate to destroy the ring - Bilbo's pity playing out. These sorts of things. We'll obviously have to do some loose plotting ahead to determine some of these, but I've always been more interested in the journey than the end, anyways.

There are two ideas below, separated in boxes because that's how I wanted to do it this time and so that things wouldn't be confused. Take a look at them, and take a look at my rules, please!

In The Darkness, Bind Them

• "But today of all days, it is brought home to me: It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life."

Once upon a time, there was a powerful sorcerer who was trusted and beloved by many. He granted great gifts, and great powers, bestowing gifts upon bloodlines to make them last ages and other such things, all in a bid to gain influence…and trust. That trust was something that he could play upon, as he started to give out heirlooms and trinkets to others, enchanted as they were with minor gifts.

A magical sword here, a powerful circlet there, and a calm voice to negotiate during feuds between kingdoms.

Only to bind them all to him, when he bound power within himself from the Shadow, shackling his fate, and the fates of those who took his enchantments and blessings, to that same Shadow. For some, it was slow. Others tried to fight it – some succeeded – but the majority were brought down into the Shadow with him, and brought to his side to fight for his ends of world domination with all others mere servants to his will. The Shadow spread with him across the land. What crops he planted were just as corrupted, and they spoiled the lands they touched. What people were captured by him, no matter how good-intentioned, were soon Shadow-touched as well.

He did this through two bracelets he wore on either wrist. It bound him to the Shadow, but it allowed him to control it just as well.

The source of his power was obvious to many, and one day, a lucky man was able to severe his arm and break the binding. The other bracelet slipped off in the moment, and the sorcerer was able to be destroyed.

Unfortunately, the bracelets were not taken to Light and destroyed.

The slayer took them as his own family’s heirlooms and intended to try and set things to right through them. For a time, it seemed to work…but of course, the bracelets eventually turned all the good to Shadow, and took the slayer down with them, his bloodline forever tainted by the Shadow.

The bracelets were split between heirs, one never to be seen again, and the other seen until only recently, when the presumed last of the line passed without issue. The bracelet was assumed to be buried with him, but was in truth spirited away and pawned off. With only one bracelet known, its power and its influence in the duo has been nearly forgotten – it is known only as an emblem of that family, and valuable.

The Sorcerer, still bound to the bracelets, has also begun to stir, regaining their power through taking the lifeforce of those who have bourne the bracelets. It is only a matter of time….

Woven Together

• "It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. Such a little thing. "

Once upon a time, there was a woman who spent her life as a wife to a powerful lord who conquered much of the lands. The woman herself spent her time as most women did – sewing and running the household. Most of her time was spent on tapestries reflecting the victories of her husband. Her time and dedication these poured in magic to her needle and those tapestries, making them real.

Her husband was, for a while, blissfully unaware until a decision he never would have made in his right mind was made for him, by him, but he did not feel in control of it. Rather than allow a city that had surrendered peacefully to do just that, he had it razed, losing resources, laborers, and much else in the process. His men didn’t seem to notice, but it bothered him. When he returned home, he found the tapestry, like all the others, and began to notice that given the time he was away and the time it took his wife to sew, she had done all of these before knowing the outcome.

He accused her of being a witch and influencing him, and he would have killed her – but she was wealthy, and a noble. A trial was needed.

A trial never occurred, of course. She was allowed her tools to sew while she awaited it, and she sewed a new story – one where her home itself was razed by her dutiful husband, after he had slipped on some attire she had embroidered with her will. He became naught but a puppet after that, and she used him in her schemes for world domination, weaving through battle after battle and leaving a bloody trail behind.

At first it was her husband who was blamed, and people amassed armies to go to war against him, but soon realized there could be no victory against him.

Then, rumor of the needle spread, of its’ power to shape reality, and a group united against the woman’s home, fortified though it was, to burn it all to the ground, thinking they would burn her, the tapestries, and the magic she used. She did burn, of course, but the tapestries were only frayed.

The needle was lost, slipped through the cracks. It was assumed destroyed, until recently, when one of the tapestries was bought and the needle was found within the threads. The unknowing individual wanted to finish the design, and in doing so, they brought the woman back to life – her final act to design was her own resurrection, aware of what was coming for her, and intending to survive it.

Now she plans to find her needle, and finish the work, for with her rose her own fortress and armies once more – at least, all those who wore what she had given to them.

It must be discovered how to destroy the needle, and the woman, once and for all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back