Advice/Help Looking for Roleplay Thread Help

Jameston

Big Money Salvia
So, recently I posted a Looking For Roleplay thread with a series of character sheets I created in Photoshop. I'm someone who likes an attention to detail/lore, so I did a lot of research on each of my character's universes to build them up. Each character sheet took me about an hour and a half to two hours of research, creating the character, then editing. So, I'm sure you'll understand my disappointment when most people are coming onto my page, seeming to look at my stuff, then clicking off. Is it that I had a set of specific fandoms? Maybe I need to expand?

Yeah, but I am able to see them on my phone. I formatted them down so they weren't as large.

I think it might be the backgrounds, they're a little busy. Also the character sheets themselves are a little skimpy on details. There isn't a background or personality section to let people get to know the characters.

I think you might be best doing a text version of the search in addition to the image version, it will make it easier for folks to read who struggle with reading bright text on backgrounds. Also maybe offer up some plot ideas in addition to the character sheets.

I think it might be the backgrounds, they're a little busy. Also the character sheets themselves are a little skimpy on details. There isn't a background or personality section to let people get to know the characters.

I think you might be best doing a text version of the search in addition to the image version, it will make it easier for folks to read who struggle with reading bright text on backgrounds. Also maybe offer up some plot ideas in addition to the character sheets.
Thanks!

From what I can tell, your interest checks are fairly well made. Certainly not my cup of tea, but they do show a degree of passion in what you do, and they are informative. As such, I cannot help but conclude that the biggest thing holding you back is the content of what you want to roleplay. Do allow me to dive into that for a moment.

Firstly, you do not offer much in terms of your own suggestions. From what I saw, there were no propositions regarding pairings or plots, you're running entirely on character pairings. This isn't bad per se, if only a little bit narrowing of your potential audience because not everyone likes the idea of just ramming characters into each other so to speak.

That said, I think one of the biggest issues is that even as character goes, you don't give much, and that's where the real shot in the foot comes. You're relying entirely on characters, yet the information you actually give about those characters (if people even properly recognize what you give them as CSs, though admitedly they are quite creative CSs), is both quite insufficient and has absolutely nothing hooking in it. As a prospect roleplay partner there is nothing exciting about knowing your character's etchnicity or height, so there's nothing that would make me choose you over the hundreds of potential options for my limited time, especially when you consider some of those actually have plots.

Now granted, upon re-read you did also provide a list of fandoms and historical settings mixed in, somehting guaranteed to be offputting for both groups, and the list had little flair to it to which is to say, no actual contribution on your part regarding ideas.

Long story short, in my opinion while it shows that you put effort and care into building your interest check, it ultimately falls apart dropped near the finish line. You are flexing muscles you didn't actually take the time to build up, not in any way people can actually see at least, and what people can see is what you can sell them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back