Food [looking for] native metric user

Vata-Raven

Anyone on RP National live in area that uses the metric system over the US imperial system?

I'm looking to get a better understanding of the system for self-created food recipes.

I'll start basic.

When you think 1 cup, would it be 240 or 250 milliliters? Some sites say it depends on the area of the world.
well, to be honest with ya, everyone I know thinks of one cup as one cup. We go to the closet, take out a cup and fill it up

well, to be honest with ya, everyone I know thinks of one cup as one cup. We go to the closet, take out a cup and fill it up
I drink a fuck ton of sodas and the bottles list out "one serving" as being 250 ml. And due to that reason, I think a cup or a glass would be 250 ml instead.

I think the way you could transition could be understanding how much every imperial unit of measurement is in metric. Like inches to cm and etc.
I have done a few inches to cm for character profiles, but I still kept the inches equivalent beside it.

For cooking over there, do you say/writer things like 1/2 or 3/4 cup in recipes?

I done a few inches to cm for character profiles, but I still kept the inches equivalent beside it.

For cooking over there, do you say/writer things like 1/2 or 3/4 cup in recipes?
Yeah. In recipes here we just use things like "a teaspoon/tablespoon/cup". Like, cooking has universal units of measurement. Don't worry about being accurate when cooking too much. These measurements are very general for a reason. You just need to get the proportions somewhat right.

Idea Idea & @The_Omega_Effect

So, would the cup to grams be something like thing?

1/4 cup = 63 grams
1/2 cup = 125 grams
3/4 cup = 188 grams
1 cup = 250 grams

Or would you be using a 240 grams/milliliter base for cooking to make the numbers more even like this?

1/4 cup = 60 grams
1/2 cup = 120 grams
3/4 cup = 180 grams
1 cup = 240 grams

There is a difference between ml and grams. 1 cup is 250 mL. But 250mL of a particular substance does not mean that you get 250 grams of it.

Idea Idea & @The_Omega_Effect

So, would the cup to grams be something like thing?

1/4 cup = 63 grams
1/2 cup = 125 grams
3/4 cup = 188 grams
1 cup = 250 grams

Or would you be using a 240 grams/milliliter base for cooking to make the numbers more even like this?

1/4 cup = 60 grams
1/2 cup = 120 grams
3/4 cup = 180 grams
1 cup = 240 grams
Grams are a measure of weight not size. There's a bit of math needed there, and we would need to know the exact ingridient to confirm that or not

I'd say that makes more sense, assuming I'm not fucking up with what ounces are
Is that not something written among recipes?

Honestly, ounces are even used in Imperial recipes either, they just say "1 cup". Volume and weight really can't compare, but I think people are just so used to over here.

Saying ounces in place of grams.

What I'm pretty much trying to figure out is the common increments on measurements.

Like, from what I get 1 tablespoon is meant to be 15 grams, so 2 tablespoons would be 30 grams which I think equals the 1 ounce.

Saying ounces in place of grams.

What I'm pretty much trying to figure out is the common increments on measurements.

Like, from what I get 1 tablespoon is meant to be 15 grams, so 2 tablespoons would be 30 grams which I think equals the 1 ounce.
I've never seen ounces used, not on any recipes here anyway

On the imperial system, we have this

2 oz = 1/4 cup
4 oz = 1/2 cup = 1/4 pound
6 oz = 3/4 cup
8 oz = 1 cup = 1/2 pound
16 oz = 2 cups = 1 pound

I was curious if the metric system had similar increments.

Honestly, I don't encounter recipes that ask for cups of things, so I'm guessing that's an American thing. Or a non-UK thing. Or I've just never personally noticed it.

But I'm guessing that a lot of it is done in ratios. So if you're making a cake, and it's telling you "2 cups of Y, 4 cups of Z" then you're going to have a proportionate amount of Y to Z, no matter the size of the cup you use. And after a while, you get an idea of what 100g of rice or 300g of flour looks like, so you don't need to weigh everything out every time.
Like The_Omega_Effect The_Omega_Effect says, it's not an exact science.

So, uh. As far as I know in the UK at least... cups aren't used. So there's no metric-system-to-cups translation, unless you go online specifically and try to figure it out, like if you're using a US recipe and trying to convert stuff.

Most ingredients are in grams (or ounces: it used to be the main measurement, so it's more of a generational thing). For liquids, it will be millilitres (or fluid ounces).
You'll also have "teaspoon" (tsp) or "tablespoon" (tbsp) measurements. These aren't meant to be exact, and will probably be seasonings or baking powder, something that you get the hang of in terms of volume after a bit of cooking.
Then there are things like "a pinch", which has a technical term (1/8 teaspoon) but again isn't meant to be exact. Just means... pinch a bit and throw it in.
Also, I don't often encounter recipes that require "a stick" of butter here. I can't speak for other countries, but UK butter isn't sold in sticks (that I've encountered). So it will just be "200g of butter" or whatever.

So to answer your question (finally, whoops)... the metric system doesn't really have the same increments in terms of "half a cup", etc. It's mainly going to be in grams and millilitres. There may be "teaspoons" and "pinches" (because nobody wants to measure it out exactly), but that's about it.

Oh, and things like eggs and onions will probably be listed in number, rather than weight. Instead of "150g of chopped onion" it will be "1 1/2 chopped onions" or whatever.
Again, it doesn't need to be exact if you're adjusting for taste.

That's all for the UK, anyway. Different countries are all slightly different: the UK still has some things in imperial measurements (like speedometers in cars), just to be confusing.
Maybe look at some online recipes from various places, to better get a feel of what's used.

Blemmigan Blemmigan

I figured there were common increments because I searched around for packaged foods native within a metric countries and common foods used similar sized

500g for minced beef
250g for a package of butter
150ml or 300ml for soured cream (not sure why it's even using ml when it's a spoon-able food)
500g, 1kg or 1.5kg for flour
300ml for double cream
600ml for single cream
250ml, 500ml and 750ml for oils
150ml for vinegar

I noticed similar weights and volume being used across packaged foods, so I figured there was a pattern behind it.

One reason why I see 150ml used instead of 125 (half of the 250ml cup size) is because one is divisible by 15, which seems to be the standard for a tablespoon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back