• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

OOC Little Talks

Thanks for the O.K. to change my post; I'll leave it as is. =)

Perhaps you're too used to D&D and Pathfinder and formal parties/groups where there is always a leader.

Heya, Wolf! I respectfully disagree with that statement. I've had the joy of roleplaying in numbers of ways over the years. One example of gaming with or without leaders is Live Action Roleplaying (LARP). Many other tabletop games also don't require a leader. =)

I think Meric made himself firmly in charge back during the scene at Auri's home. Other folks (Auri and Asher included) attempted to bring plans to the table - in the end, our entire plan at the tower was basically Meric's. I feel Meric has been in charge since then, Wolf. I don't have a problem with it, nor do I see it changing. =)

I honestly thought you wanted us to leave Meric just now to have his talk with Niara, hence my going with it. If we were going to go with "leave no one behind," then shouldn't we be going back for Asher and not Meric? Seems to me Asher is in the deeper trouble of the two.

Whether we have choices or not, you run your game a little differently than just about anyone I've yet played with. I've been going along with the story since our agreement (and my "taking a step back"). I've been enjoying the game a bit more since then, but until someone else (PC or NPC) takes over, I feel Meric is firmly in charge of the party. I don't have a problem with that; I just feel it should be stated.

I'm still here to play and "roll with" (Auri "rolling" pun there) whatever else comes along. =)

Last edited:
Well, perceive Meric's role as you wish, but please don't feel like your character can't/shouldn't influence the mission at hand, the story at large, or anything in between *whine*

I already explained why Meric is kind of in charge, and all I can add to that is that it's literally just the sum of a series of circumstances. Some players who could have fulfilled the role left (including, ironically, Meric's original player), whereas you and Kaerri joined relatively recently (in game time) and thus it wouldn't make sense if you were suddenly in charge of this group that had been doing just fine for quite a while before you came along. Plus, you've been getting a feel for the game, which is somewhat necessary for leading a group in it.

I'm not sure why you'd be concerned about Asher. Aside from the fact that he only just joined, or hasn't technically joined yet, and therefore there was no time for anyone to build rapport with him - he's got decades' worth of experience doing exactly the kind of thing he is doing right now. He's highly skilled in relevant areas. On top of that, there hasn't been a single clue suggesting that he might be in any kind of trouble, except that he's not present yet (and you have no way of knowing if he's about to show up at any second, or if he already went ahead of you).

Actually, Meric has the Morse device which he could use, but he's completely forgotten about it in the face of Nivirea showing up *woof*

And finally, while I'll admit to being guilty of intentionally steering the game to hit certain obstacles just because I wanted to write about them (for example, Dina's abduction, a fact which I already mentioned at least once), I'm actually trying to restrain that behavior and it's not happening at the moment. I am referring to this line:

I honestly thought you wanted us to leave Meric just now to have his talk with Niara, hence my going with it.
I'm rather proud to say it's not happening, actually. Yes, sometimes I have these great ideas for scenes, and I get them IRL months in advance, and I really badly want to do them ingame, and sometimes I end up manipulating the game to ensure that I get the chance, but I've realized this and decided to fight the urge by trying to always come up with at least two or three equally great alternatives - which should normally translate to several viable options for you guys, plus I'm trying to keep an open mind for unforeseen consequences!

What happened back in the Great Hall is one such example. Months ago, I had a sort of a vision of Niara and Ilhirel arguing over Niara losing sight of Dina, which I rightly anticipated to happen, since it would mean you guys were winning - and I already knew Niara would likely be drunk because I know her and I knew of her relationship in the Niara-Dina-Ilhirel triangle. I didn't know exactly how you guys would get Dina away... And I definitely didn't expect Ilhirel to wind up walking away with Maggie - all credit goes to Maggie, even if she herself couldn't know that she'd catch Ilhirel's eye (for reasons that have yet to be explained!). So while there was originally a scene I badly wanted to happen, in the end only some of it came through. I didn't abuse my Storyteller powers. This time.

You do have choices. Sometimes they won't be obvious. Sometimes there might really be only one real choice. But it ought to be yours to make.

So no, I really didn't "want you to leave Meric just now to have his talk with Niara". I didn't want you to stay, either. I just described what happened, voiced what Meric had to say, and waited to see what you'll do. It's plausible and reasonable that Auri goes along, if he wants - it's understandable and less than shocking if Maggie wants to stay and help, if she wants - and I'm definitely curious to see what Asher does, who might do anything from sneaking away to assassinating the general, knowing Jack *woof*

Any way, I think, or hope, that this story will only get better from here *woof*

I already explained why Meric is kind of in charge, and all I can add to that is that it's literally just the sum of a series of circumstances.

Wolf. Again, I do not have a problem with Meric being in charge.

I'm not sure why you'd be concerned about Asher.

Because both Auri and I are the caring types. More importantly, Jack's happiness in-game is important to me as a player. I'm not having fun unless everyone playing the game is having fun. Some of Jack's posts over the past few months seem to indicate he's feeling left out.

On top of that, there hasn't been a single clue suggesting that he might be in any kind of trouble, except that he's not present yet (and you have no way of knowing if he's about to show up at any second, or if he already went ahead of you).

It's a matter of perspective, Wolf - Auri has no evidence that Asher is not by himself in the tower. If the Sorceress nailed him, we probably wouldn't know it. Auri doesn't know Asher and would be worried. So he is.

Actually, Meric has the Morse device which he could use, but he's completely forgotten about it in the face of Nivirea showing up *woof*
(bold mine)

This line made me chuckle. =)

You do have choices.

I never said we didn't - all I said was Meric was in charge and I'm willing to go along with your direction in the game.

Can we go back to the game now? I really didn't mean for this to drag on this long.

What would he do?
That goes for Kaerri Kaerri as well as Purr Purr .

We've yet to hear from Maggie, and by my account Auri is still close enough to matter. Not that any of them could do anything, provided they wanted to. Or could they?

Make sure to chime in before Christmas! At least one post, possibly... two?
tenor.gif

I will try! I know I've been very quiet of late, and I'm sorry for that.

Even if old, roly poly Auri were fast enough, I don't think Auri would intervene one way or another - he doesn't know of any personal vendetta between Asher and the general. Upon seeing this take place, I don't know that he would side one way or another. The general is the willing servant of the Sorceress and whatever evils she may have done she should certainly pay for. Plus, she has seen the Chosen and Auri believes (perhaps mistakenly) that Niara would do her military duty and call attention to the terrace (since Auri knows nothing of her demotion).

And yet, Meric clearly believes otherwise since he's gone and betrayed Asher's presence to Niara, thus giving her a chance at survival.

This sounds like something between the three of them - to Auri at least (I'm not trying to sway any other character). =)

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." - Freewill by Rush. =)

I realize that the rest of you don't have much to post to this, so I won't expect anything (though you may post regardless, of course). I suppose this little update is more for Jack than anyone else. I need to see how this resolves before we move on, and besides - you are on your way to the skybridge, and you're not quite there yet.

Note: Niara's image in her character's thread in the Archives is quite accurate in regards to what she's wearing. All those times that I've referenced "her signature green and gold armour", that's what I meant. It's strong but more for show than actual combat, due to its thinness, and besides, it doesn't quite cover her whole body.

What's Asher doing now, Jack Elarithon Jack Elarithon ? I'm open for questions if you have any! *woof*

Just a note to everyone that I've climbed out of the Pit of Holidays and so normal operations will resume starting tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for posting well into the season - it's a shame we couldn't wrap it up in time for the New Year, but let's do our best to cross the finish line soon! *woof*

Not sure if it's the phrasing or the idiom that's the problem, but in case it's the latter:

To make something "look like a birthday party" in this context means what's coming is likely to be so bad, the current situation will almost look enjoyable by comparison.

Sure! You know how much I love clear communication! 8D

Just checking in so you know I'm around and keeping an eye on this. ^33^ I haven't posted because I don't really have anything for Maggie to do, other than continuing to run and keep Dina running with her, but if you want, I can come up with a few lines IC to say as much?

I've been waiting on Jack Elarithon Jack Elarithon :/

I really couldn't go on and post an update for you guys since it would involve splitting the timeline again - posting for you guys in the future while we have party members who are still stuck in the past. It wouldn't be such a problem if I knew for a fact that your storylines were coming apart, but it's just the opposite. I've been trying to get a hold of Jack for a whole week, and though he finally responded to my message, it remains unclear when he'll actually post.

So I'm going to go ahead anyway. I really can't hold up the game for such a long time over one player, even if that one player constitutes 33% of the player base, lol. I can't believe 2 weeks have somehow snuck by *whine*

It remains in the rules that minimal activity is posting once a week. And even this is awfully sporadic. Ponder this: On average, it takes about 350 posts to finish a chapter. If we assume that about a third of those posts are mine, that comes out to about 80 posts per player. If everyone posted only once a week, it would take us a year and a half per chapter. Further delays, which happen, easily push that to two years.

Two years per chapter is unacceptable. Are our children going to have to finish this game? I'm not planning to have any XD

And despite that, I have still rarely enforced the rule above. It's awkward to force characters into action, and I don't want to antagonize the few players I have left, but I don't see any other choice. For the sake of the greater good, in the future (which starts now) I'll have to nudge things along more frequently.

Jack didn't even announce his absence. I had to text him 5 times in the last 2 weeks across 3 different platforms just to get a vague "getting reused to new schedule" answer. Well, you could have said that, Jack Elarithon Jack Elarithon . If you really, really can't post, then at least tell me what Asher is doing so I can base my "nudge along" on something more than my own intuition. No refunds accepted.

My apologies to Dann & Kaerri for the holdup *woof*

No apologies necessary for something out of your control, good Wolf! If our Jack is being kept busy with new schedules and such, then it's up to him to tell us so, not you. Even now (or perhaps, especially now), with Asher in the spotlight with Niara and Meric.

I just hope everything is all right with Jack. It's the one thing I don't like about text-based Internet RPing - we have no idea what is going on in a person's life outside of the game unless they or someone close to them tells us. I find it quite the helpless feeling, being raised on tabletop, when such answers are a phone call or short drive away. For logic suggests that if a Player cannot post, then it is either because they are unwilling or unable. And when I don't hear from people, I worry for the latter. I hope Jack is O.K..

*sigh* Such is price of caring, but still a fellow should listen to what his heart tells him. =)

Oh and btw, the other day I noticed a lapsus in my posts for the previous scene (which kinda carries over). I stated that A'kal and Laurolf both left ahead for the skybridge before Niara and Asher even showed up, yet somehow A'kal is still there with Meric at the conclusion of the terrace scene...

Thing is, in my head I meant for A'kal to see Niara's arrival and decide to lag behind - I just failed to actually write in that bit. That's why only Laurolf was there with Violet's group when Auri and Maggie reached the skybridge, while Meric and A'kal are supposed to be there in a minute.

What Jack Elarithon Jack Elarithon didn't tell me is where Asher went. The plan was to regroup at the bridge, but his going into the Shadow Realm to "evade the Sorceress" (combined with his assassination of general Shadowleaf and subsequent antagonizing of Meric) almost makes me think that he's suddenly decided to split. I really, really need to know what Asher is doing right now - the chapter is about to close and if he's not with the Chosen when that happens, there will be consequences.

Sorry I couldn't find a picture for the skybridge. I tried, but somehow nothing on the world wide web comes remotely close to what hopefully my description has helped you visualize. If something is unclear, do let me know :P *woof*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back