• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

OOC Little Talks

Bann Teagan sighed.

"I wish I could, but I've only laid eyes on the girl a couple of times, and we barely spoke. Her father is the one with whom I've built a rapport over the years we've known each other. She seemed to be the quiet, intelligent type," he said with some measure of certainty. "If this goes well, I could arrange for you to meet her yourself, if you want. We should be able to find some privacy for this in the south wing," he tapped his coat and stepped out into the courtyard to lead the way.

I'm confused (my hyperkinetic disorder strikes again? Hah!). Halp! =)

What exactly is Bann Teagan saying when he says "some privacy for this." The signing of the documents, I take it? Because otherwise it sounds like he's about to introduce Auri and Maggie to the daughter and she's not here.

He means exactly that: That filling out and signing paperwork in the middle of the main hallway of the palace during a banquet hosting a hundred people isn't a good idea. Too many curious eyes, obviously. Plus, there are no available tables except back in the Great Hall (which is teeming with guests), and writing up against the wall is less than practical. We're not talking just about a signature here.

As Auri is familiar with the layout of the palace (and you yourself are from seeing the map), he knows, as does Teagan, that the nearest convenient place would be in one of the rooms of the south wing. Shouldn't be many, if any, guests there - unless you run into someone else who sought the privacy, for whatever reason, e.g. a drunk couple making out, which has been known to happen (more often in the gardens, but it's kind of cold at the moment).

I have no idea how it could be read as Teagan wanting to introduce Auri to Elsa XD (who is indeed not present lol) *woof*

My brain did not develop nor does it function as most people's, dear Wolf. Sometimes, it is an enigma to me more than anyone. Still, I have had a lot of fun with this brain and so I have become used to asking folks questions that everyone else seems to know the answers to already. Heh! Such is life!

Thanks for explaining it to me! =)

Well it's the only brain you've got, so you might as well have fun with it.

And luckily I don't mind explaining things in the slightest *woof*

Luckily indeed! I might have to bow out due to confusion if you weren't (especially if wonderful Kaerri weren't playing; she helps me figure things like this out when my mind can't make sense of it). =)

Yes, sorry. I can do a post for her if you want, but she's mostly just listening to the Important People discussing things and not wanting to interfere or interrupt.

That's fine, if there's nothing on her mind to say.

One thing that I do need to know before I post is if Maggie intends to follow Auri and Teagan or if she's staying put (possibly rejoining Elias and his friends by the fire or something else entirely). You can post that or simply let me know here in the OOC.

Either way, I'm just eager to get things running and bring the chapter to a close. I still remember saying how we'd see it done in the first few months of 2018, but things happen etc. of course. However, I really, really - really - think we can and must finish it before winter comes *woof*

She'll be following Auri and Teagan as unobtrusively as possible. It seems less noticeable to her than if she goes back and forth between the two groups. (Granted, in a party this size, I'm sure a certain amount of back-and-forth-ing is expected, but she doesn't have much experience with parties.)

Thank you, Kaerri *woof*

Dann: You don't actually need to list all of the information from the document (though feel free to, of course). I am mostly interested in what Auri put down under the specified reason for the transfer order.

I hope not; after this busy weekend, I simply lack the brain to do so. =)

Wait. Specified reason? Ah. This is the reason Auri asked Bann Teagan the information that he did. O.K. I will try to think something up tomorrow.

Sorry for not being around as much, my work schedule has been a mess these couple of weeks, but holidays are on the horizon (even if it is just 4 days)!

I see Asher is still reading that notebook. Must be an interesting read.

Anyway, just taking a moment to post something here, since I did say that I will try and do that. And I just did that.

Jack Elarithon Jack Elarithon Heya Jack! It's good to "see" you again! =)

If my memory serves (and don't bet on it; I am in the middle of one of my migraines), Wolf posted something about Asher being on the roof with a pile of flammables. Perhaps these were to be used as a distraction or something?

I see Asher is still reading that notebook. Must be an interesting read.
I laughed out loud at this, lol. Funny, but I do get your point. However, the only reason why I have neglected your character thus is because I was counting on you being inactive anyway. So it was simply an opportunity I took advantage of, since there really was not much for Asher to do besides waiting for the others.

And about that, I know that I'm not extremely zealous about posting sometimes, but Dann and Kaerri (Dann at the moment), could you pick up the pace? :P

something about Asher being on the roof with a pile of flammables. Perhaps these were to be used as a distraction or something?
That was Jack's initial thought. I just informed him that it was indeed viable, but I'm leaving it entirely up to him to decide Asher's course of action (when action starts, anyway).

Which should be just a post or two away, really! *howl*

Whoops! I thought I was caught up. I will try to put something later today.

I was recovering from a migraine at the time and could have very easily misread something. I thought the document was already filled out and simply required Auri's signature? Under no circumstances would Auri sign a document without having fully understood and agreed with it.

If I misunderstood, and Auri was to create the document and then sign it, then consider that done instead.

I had explained in my previous post:
"The document presented before Auri was indeed a standard transfer order. It included some default wording and several empty fields, such as [...]"
Meaning it's a template. It comes with some pre-written stuff, combined with empty lines ( ____________ ) which need to be filled out. I even named what these empty fields were. Of course, I don't expect you to bother with all the details, after all, bureaucracy is b000ring! *woof*

I just like to give people options, when I can.

And of course, it goes without saying that Auri wouldn't just leave his signature without careful consideration. It doesn't really matter who filled it out. I expected Auri would, but an ambassador needn't write down every word himself (often times aides/scribes do it). Between him, Teagan, and Maggie, it's all the same. Only his signature is critical.

I was and still am curious about the reason Auri specified to justify this transfer order. If you can just give me that, we'll be on our way *woof*

Well, that's what Auri (and I) wanted to know from Bann Teagan. Sure, he said whatever reason was fine, but I'm still up in the air about what would be the smoothest reason. Auri has been a diplomat for about a century, right? Can his experience help him here?

Well as an experienced diplomat, Auri would know just the type of vague, semi-waterproof explanation that would smoothly pass casual inspection and likely hold up well against serious scrutiny as well. It wouldn't fool someone who was bent on seeing through it; but such an individual would probably find some fault even with an authentic reason for the transfer, when I think about it.

It's not that important, I guess. I was just giving you an additional opportunity at RPing there, but since you're refusing it for the second time, we'll just leave it undefined.

Not that I don't understand, mind you. Your problem is that you've made out your character to be more competent than you yourself are, which doesn't matter when it comes to physical prowess or fighting ability, but when you're talking about diplomacy, technical expertise and the like, it can be very difficult to believably play him. I remember you had a bit of trouble when the question of court etiquette came up, which you excused with being American and thus having had no experience being ruled over by medieval monarchs :P*woof*

But hell, I myself don't have much experience and still I'm managing to do a half-believable job (I think?). I google a shit ton, though. You should have seen the ungodly amount of homework I did before I even put pencil to paper and started drawing the first sketch of the Royal Palace. What rooms should there be? What's the layout? I'll stop there because I could write a 10k word essay on this alone. And the end result?

Just this: map 1 (or actually this when fully finished: map 2)

Doesn't look like it justifies hours of research and work, right? But I am digressing horribly now.

My original point is that I do feel for you, and I know you don't have it easy between your work, the innate goofiness that aches you (trying to be sensible here and probably failing lol), and other factors. I know you can't possibly launch into a research every X posts, and that's one of the reasons why I keep encouraging questions and providing help and advice whenever I can.

On the other hand...

You did make Auri a top-level diplomat with decades' worth of experience. I guess you didn't actually expect this RP to include said diplomacy? It was never going to be a diplomacy-oriented game, but then neither was it going to be a fighting simulator. There's bound to be a bit of everything. I take what I get from the players and work with it.

As you might have guessed by now, we'll be moving away from diplomacy anyway. Partially because I realized by now that you're not fully comfortable playing Auri the diplomat. So cue Auri the adventurer, I say! Like the rest of the party :P*woof*

I suppose I should shut up now, because I really could go on for hours like this XD

Should I consider myself lucky Maggie hasn't had to preach a sermon yet? ^;3^

(Just kidding, in case it isn't clear. If it comes up, I'll do my best!)

It's not that important, I guess. I was just giving you an additional opportunity at RPing there, but since you're refusing it for the second time, we'll just leave it undefined.

I'm more afraid of screwing it up, really. Things like this, if done poorly, can come back and bite you. Hard. =)

Doesn't look like it justifies hours of research and work, right?

Ha ha! I hope you'll pardon me if I argue against that! =) I think as long as you were having a good time then it was worth it! As a player in two games and a Game Master of two more games, I research all of the damn time - and I love it! It's like that old saying about fishing: "A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work." =)

Even if it's a mess, I honestly think it's perfectly justified, because if nothing else, you're learning something, probably improving at it, enjoying it hopefully, and best of all - you're doing something you love to do!

You did make Auri a top-level diplomat with decades' worth of experience.

If my memory serves, that was not my idea. For me, Auri has always been a big, roly-poly, silly Muppet-like wizard! I wanted someone wise and really big (about Big Bird's size?). I wanted him to be gentle and peaceful with a generous spirit and an enormous love of cooking! That's what I remember!

I remember listening to The Dark Crystal soundtrack a great deal when I was first forming Auri. Fun times! I wanted Auri to have tried being a warrior earlier in life and then something happening that changed his road. I wanted him to be old, because there's a lot of wisdom there and it was a perspective I lack and respect with the old people I have been lucky enough to know.

Plus, I really liked the idea of him being able to roll up into a big ball and roll around as a mode of transportation! I still think that is just so cool!

If I recall (and I could be wrong!), you recommended he be a diplomat as it would give him a really good reason to be in Alicante and it could help things along in your story.

I don't play diplomats, lawyers, or "non-adventuring thinkers" very well. So while I haven't looked it up, I would be extremely surprised if I had come to you asking if Auri could be a diplomat. It's not like me.

(trying to be sensible here and probably failing lol),

Oh, you're doing just fine! Really! "Innate goofiness" sums it up nicely, dear Wolf! Just today, I was watching a professor give a learned (if repetitive) lecture on ADHD. Ha ha! =)

So cue Auri the adventurer, I say! Like the rest of the party :P*woof*

Yaaaay! 8D

I suppose I should shut up now, because I really could go on for hours like this XD

I can relate! Get me going on roleplaying or the martial arts and I'm gone! 8D

Ach, first let me apologize, I guess I forgot how exactly Auri came to be. That does sound like me, lol *woof*

However! You were still the one who gave the green light! I don't remember any complaints being voiced...

But yes, let's all look forward to the general adventuring stuff that ought to follow. IF you make it out of the palace alive *rrrrrrrr*

Yeah, but I gave the green light to you because you wanted it and that's what friends do (even online friends). I want you to have a good time in your games too. =)

As for making it out of the palace alive, oh noes! Action! Suspense! Drama! And more of those tasty cookies on the servant's trays.... Oh boy! 8D

He picked Maggie up as if she were a precious gift and waddled out of there as fast as his old legs could carry them!
Just FYI, Dannigan asked and was granted permission by Maggie's player to do this. ^;3^ I'll try to get a post of my own up soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back