• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Life After Saving the World (An Unconventional, Character Focused High Fantasy Tale!)

Rusty of Shackleford

Ten Thousand Club

The Kingdom of (insert name here) has entered into a golden age! After the lost prince and his group of brave companions slew the great evil sorcerer/lich/dragon/whatever, he ascended to his rightful throne alongside his beloved wife, and together, the kingdom has prospered as it never has before!

Except...this story isn't about that. You've seen that story a thousand times before, in a thousand different worlds, from a thousand different tongues. No, this...this story is about what comes after.

Greetings, people of RPNation! It is I, Rusty!

I've fallen down that fantasy rabbit hole again, and after consuming several stories, I've created this unconventional idea I want to try: instead of following the heroes during the big quest...what happens after? How does the young, honorable king deal with ruling his newly earned kingdom? How does he and his queen balance their duties as monarchs and as spouses? What really changed? Is the world actually saved?

But first...a bit about me!

I've been on this site...a while! Too long, if you ask some. I'm a 22 year old fella, go by He/Him. I don't really have a label, for myself as a writer. I just sorta slap my fingers on the keyboard like a monkey and sometimes something decent is created, hopefully. Length and frequency varies, as I am a college student, and HEAVILY neurodivergent, as well has having some depression. So please be patient, I always extend it to my partners!

As for what I look for in a partner, one, someone who's not an asshole. As a relatively recent member of the LGBTQ community, I won't tolerate any sort of bigotry (not to say I'm opposed to tackling in in the story! Just don't be an asshole.) Besides that, anyone that's just as passionate about the story as I am REALLY boosts my motivation!

Now...onto the meat!

In less vague terms, the plot I have in mind is that, following saving the world in a traditional fantasy plot, an exiled prince and his love interest ascend to the throne, and life happily ever after...except things aren't so simple. They have a kingdom to run, people to rule, and a family to take care of. Politics, famine, war, all wrapped up in the personal struggles of two great people, now relegated to paperwork and court intrigue.

My idea for this setting is very D&D. Kitchen sink fantasy, with magic, elves, dragons, etc, except a bit more realistic. There's not really good or evil kingdoms or races. There evil people, yes, but things are never as black and white as they seem. I want to examine common tropes, and deconstruct them. Maybe the orcs only served the dark lord because, after years of discrimination, and threatened with the extinction of their way of life, they turned to the only person who gave them an actual future? Maybe the elves are actually arrogant, xenophobic elitists, who see the younger races as inferior and childlike?

The tone is something similar. A good mix of lighthearted humor, and heavier topics and themes. This isn't a perfect world, but it's also not a grimdark hellscape. I want there to be a good balance!

The character I'm thinking of playing is the traditional hero archetype. The knight in shining armor, the noble paladin wielding the holy sword forged by angels. Except now, he has to deal with the fact that he can't just solve his problems with his sword. A good man, but often naive and stubborn, idealistic to a fault, either seen as a perfect, flawless king, or a weak, naive child, who only wears the crown because his parents did. Extra points if maybe his parents were actually not great people, so he feels an obligation to be a "perfect" ruler, and constantly feels as if he owes something.

For your character...that's up to you! This whatever sort of character you'd prefer. We can discuss our characters exact relationship in detail, but I'd very much prefer they have a genuine, loving relationship, that's often strained by their duties.

So yes! Thank you for reading my thread! I'd love to hear your own ideas and suggestions! Can't wait to talk to y'all!​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back