libris ooc

Okay, kids, gather round.  We're going to be entering the "investigation" part of the game, soon.  Basically, I'm going to describe the scene, then your character can look around or ask people questions, and I'll post what they find/what the other character will say.  

Also, trigger warning: the crime scene is going to have some fairly grisly description.  I don't want to upset anyone.

@Chello, @HopeAndLove, @Awkwardpotato , @Lilk2lu

Not a fan of gore but I can handle it in books/RP's ;)  I don't have to see it. I'm a big fan of horror games but not the movies. *cracks fingers* I'm ready. Bring it baby. xD  

Memetic Events (ME's) are those people (and sometimes animals) the Narrative has gotten its hooks into and has transformed into fairy tale characters.  In the case of my character, Humbert Fenric, he was changed from a cute little guy with dreams of stardom into a Big Bad Wolf.  

The Memetic Spectrum describes to what degree they have been changed.  

Level 0: not on the spectrum; normal people

Level 1: a potential ME.  This could be a girl whose mother died in childbirth, an old woman living alone, or a girl named Ella.   The conditions for level 1 are so nebulous, people can slip in and out of potential status.

Level 2: an ME whose story has activated.  The Narrative has seen fit to start guiding the course of events in order to fit the pattern of a story.  Level 2's have not passed the point of no return, and can go back to just living their lives.  

Level 3 and 4: at this point, the ME has been permanently changed by the Narrative, the difference between the 2 is down to degree.  Level 4's are more likely to be physically changed and to have overt magical powers.  There's really no going back once someone hits level 3, but it is possible to try and avert their story and prevent the Narrative from taking complete control of their lives.  

Level 5: this is when an ME has fully embraced their story role.  Some do this for greater power, but it comes at the price of the ME's personal identity.  A strong, capable woman who embraces the role of Snow White becomes a meek little princess with a future full of poison.

How does someone become a story character? And what is the Narrative, exactly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it starts with circumstances beyond your control, usually: being an orphan, marrying a widower, being the third and youngest son, little things like that.  Basically, if there's something that starts to contain the patterns or motifs found in a fairy tale, the Narrative uses that as a way in, and begins nudging things to continue that way, until your life becomes a story.  

My character, Humbert, is a good example.  For one, his name is Humbert Malcolm Fenric, and wanted to go by Mal professionally.  "Humbert" can translate to "big", "Mal" means bad, and "Fenric" is derived from the Norse wolf Fenrir.  

The full story is in his character sheet, but the confluence of events and circumstances gave the Narrative the momentum needed to take a gamble and turn Humbert into large, scary man with a decidedly feral appearance.  

The Narrative is a whisper in your ear, urging you to make decisions you wouldn't, normally.  It nudges the dice, creating coincidences which serve its purposes.  

The Narrative is an unseen force which tries to turn the world into stories.  Stories are like parasites, looking for a place to happen.  And they don't care who gets hurt along the way.

Wow....that post...Yeesh...I'm glad everything is covered >.> I don't have to picture that in my head...

*huggles* Luv it's okay xD  You didn't freak me out at all. I was just surprised is all :)  And I'm glad you didn't man...Very active imagination. That would have been fun xD  And gross. Really gross xD  

It's been interesting writing Pepper this way. She will revert to normal but not after that chewing out she got. She's going to be quiet and moody for a bit xD   

Blood and gore don't bother be at all. I read a lot of it, and watch a lot of it so it don't bother me none friend. Thanks for checking tho!

I love reading and imagining blood and gore. Was listening to A Checklist for Murder on Audible while I was on the train last year and nearly hurled from the descriptiveness (and from the train motion sickness)

It was great haha

The Narrative is a whisper in your ear, urging you to make decisions you wouldn't, normally.  It nudges the dice, creating coincidences which serve its purposes.  

The Narrative is an unseen force which tries to turn the world into stories.  Stories are like parasites, looking for a place to happen.  And they don't care who gets hurt along the way.

Could someone communicate/talk back to the Narrative?

@commanderproton

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, that's the 64 million dollar question, isn't it?  It is actually alive? Is it actually intelligent?  Is it a god, a devil, something someone made up to explain their unfashionable desires?  

You can talk, but will it listen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back